closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tyres

New Tyres

I’m going to need a full set of tyres on my Octavia estate in the next month or two. What do people go for as a balance of cost / Performance? I’ve seen the Pirelli Cinturato All Season SF2 at £320 fitted for four, but should I go with an all season tyre? I do about 4K a year mostly city with periodic long motor way runs every three months or so to visit family.

Budget probably no more the £100 per corner fitted.

Thanks.

What size are they? All seasons are great but don't skimp on quality.

Michelin for me every time. Can’t put a price on the stuff that keeps you bolted to the road

I have the same car, for rough winter driving I have a spare set of wheels with winter tyres but all the rest of the year I have always found Goodyear Performance Efficient Grip, they are good n the wet, fuel efficient and quite low on tyre noise.

I have used Blackcircles before with no complaints and they have plenty of reviews-

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/b...RoCJKwQAvD_BwE

I love this chaps tyre reviews. If ever I need tyres I check this guys YouTube channel. This should help you out hopefully…

https://youtu.be/A3WssIxusLU

Usually you can’t go far wrong with Michelin, Continental or Goodyear.

I'm running Michelin CrossClimate 2 on our cars and am very pleased with their all-round performance.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Costco are offering £100 off if you buy 4 Michelin tyres. I found their prices very competitive and with the discount I got a much better tyre than I expected.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Agree I won’t be skimping on tyres! Brakes and tyres are always worth spending money on. Can’t understand the people who buy used tyres!

Master
    I've had to buy part worns in the past when times were tight, tyres were bald and MOT time loomed. £25 a corner for some seat alhambra tyres and an MOT pass kept me able to earn my living a couple of times.

Similar for 'Chinese ditch finders', I've not actually had bad things to say about them, I don't drive like a loon and keep a reasonable distance between me and traffic, so, even when I've had to make an emergency stop on 'landsail xl' tyres in the wet I've kept my near 20+ year accident free streak intact.

All that said, I'll spend as much as I can on tyres, currently have Michelin PS4's on my car which are fantastic.

Craftsman
    I a Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S evangelist but I don't think 4k miles of city driving would warrant a high performance tyre so I would go for whatever is on offer from one of the big tyre manufacturers. I would also recommend tyres on the drive. I've always had a great service from them and they tend to be pretty good value, even better when you factor in your time and cost of driving to a competitor.

Tyre prices have risen significantly over the past 12 months.

I have used a small independent tyre fitter in Leigh for over 10 years, and always give him the option to quote for all our bike and car tyres.

We have been Costco members for years, their prices on Michelin and Firestone are very competitive.

He comments that Costco are the largest retailer of Michelin in the UK, and sell their tyres below his trade buy price from Michelin.

Pilot Sport 4 on the wife's Cooper S Cabriolet and my SLK32, they are impressive.

Master
    Another place to look is Camskill tyres in Cumbria. They were far cheaper for my BMW tyres than anywhere else even after delivery costs.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Just a thought

For those that would
    Not consider part worn tyres

If you bought a secondhand car would you automatically replace the tyres before driving it

Hi, I have come to buy your car but I could not possibly drive it with your part worn death trap tyres on, luckily I have a brand new set of 185 x 65s in the boot, don’t mind me while I change them…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Just a thought

For those that would

If you bought a secondhand car would you automatically replace the tyres before driving it

Hi, I have come to buy your car but I could not possibly drive it with your part worn death trap tyres on, luckily I have a brand new set of 185 x 65s in the boot, don’t mind me while I change them…..

Yes, we did exactly this with a previous R52 Cooper S that my wife bought around 18 months ago.

The car presented well, but was fitted with four new cheap Chinese Linglong tyres - I wouldn't drive a shopping cart with Chinese rubber.

We agreed a great price with the dealer, including an additional £400 to replace the tyres with PS4s.

The dealer agreed that the Linglong tyres were not appropriate on a performance car and retained them to fit on another vehicle, hopefully of modest performance.

Master
    £85 a tyre for 2 new Michelin energy savers on my Octavia to match the factory fitted overs on the rear that were moving to the front. Never skimp on tyres even though I drive like the middle aged man I am!

Master
    Tyres are a science to themselves. If they grip well, they wear quickly. It all depends on what you do with them and what you want. I've paid a lot of money for tyres that have cracked, well before they wore out on my low miler and had to be replaced. When I was atransport manager, we were pushed towards longevity for high mileage and at that time, Michelins were the choice to beat. The "racing drivers" in the fleet would complain of "breakaway" on harsh acceleration, in the wet but generally they worked well. One set of vehicles came with Dunlop fitted and they matched the Michelin for mileage but were more expensive to replace at the time. Ask the tyre fitters for advice, rather than the sales person!

on my small car, I have on Goodyear 4 all seasons I like better than Michelin tyres

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consum...4-seasons.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Just a thought

For those that would

If the tyres were more than half worn on an older vehicle yes I would. On newer vehicles, if the tyres are on the car you buy in all probability they will be fine, as otherwise they would have been replaced.

Ask yourself why the part worn tyres were removed? I've seen first hand container loads of part worn tyres being checked for punctures etc and repaired before selling. At £4 a piece and marked up to £40-50 plenty get 'borderline' repairs believe me. A lot of people make serious money selling them.

In the 80's and 90's I probably sold and fitted more tyres than most, including truck and earthmover new and remould tyres. For my money a new budget tyre is better than a part worn tyre with unknown history every time.

Would you buy second hand brake pads?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Yes, we did exactly this with a previous R52 Cooper S that my wife bought around 18 months ago.

The car presented well, but was fitted with four new cheap Chinese Linglong tyres - I wouldn't drive a shopping cart with Chinese rubber.

We agreed a great price with the dealer, including an additional £400 to replace the tyres with PS4s.

The dealer agreed that the Linglong tyres were not appropriate on a performance car and retained them to fit on another vehicle, hopefully of modest performance.
    Did exactly the same when my wife bought her JCW Mini from a used dealer. Mix of tyres across front and rear, so negotiated a new set of Continentals to be fitted by the local Mini dealer as part some other jobs I had identified as needing doing.

Would never, ever, run cheap tyres on any car or bike of mine.

Master
    On my last visit to a tyre fitter, I saw a "private hire taxi" being fitted with "part worn" tyres. The garage owner told me that most of them bought part worn tyres from him!

Master
    I think the quality of part worn tyres has gone down and the price sky rocketed over the last few years I remember buying a matched set of virtually new Michelins for for my e30 325i for half the cost of new 20 years ago and it seemed a lot easier to get matched pairs with loads of tread.
    I had an old car 3 years ago and looked at part worns and all I could find was mismatched crap with 3.5 mm of tread that wasn't much cheaper than midrange tyres after you paid for fitting

I’m also struggling to understand how you would come by part worn tyres? Surely you replace when they are no longer legal or they are dangerous or they come from a car that’s been in an accident…?

Thanks again for suggestions so far.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’m also struggling to understand how you would come by part worn tyres? Surely you replace when they are no longer legal or they are dangerous or they come from a car that’s been in an accident…?

"...Meanwhile, the National Tyre Distribution Association (NTDA) has claimed that "as many as 97% of all part-worn tyres are being sold illegally", with lax attitudes to (and poor enforcement of) the regulations surrounding part-worn tyres. As such, tyres with "safety breaches, including dangerous and unsafe repairs, exposed cords, bead damage and evidence of run-flat damage" have been found on sale by the NTDA. As a result, the NTDA is calling for a ban on the sale of part-worn tyres in the UK..."

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-...art-worn-tyres
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 15th November 2021 at 19:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

I know of a used sports car retailer who sources the tyres for some of their cars from Germany, part worn. I can’t remember the details but the tyres were being replaced in Germany while they still had several mm of UK legal tread - nothing particularly sinister.

I’m surprised there’s many garages out there now (reputable ones) that would even consider fitting part worn tyres. They should all be shredded and never used again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    I know of a used sports car retailer who sources the tyres for some of their cars from Germany, part worn. I can’t remember the details but the tyres were being replaced in Germany while they still had several mm of UK legal tread - nothing particularly sinister.
    That’s one ‘sports car retailer’ I’d avoid like the plague. I wonder what other corners they’re cutting to maximise profits.

The minimum depth in Germany is 3mm btw, 1.6mm in U.K. So 1.4mm difference. Factor in that the tyres have been removed and refitted and could have damaged beads, repaired punctures and unseen internal damage. Is it really worth the savings?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That’s one ‘sports car retailer’ I’d avoid like the plague. I wonder what other corners they’re cutting to maximise profits.

The minimum depth in Germany is 3mm btw, 1.6mm in U.K. So 1.4mm difference. Factor in that the tyres have been removed and refitted and could have damaged beads, repaired punctures and unseen internal damage. Is it really worth the savings?
    The tyres in question were being sold well before minimum German tread depth, but again I can’t remember the details. The retailer’s intention was to fit correct spec big name brand tyres - if they were really corner cutting then they could leave whatever was already on there for the new owner to sort out, but I take your point.

Just trying to decide what to go for myself. Like the thought of Michelin cross climate 2 but they are very expensive. Kwikfit are doing black friday deals atm and with Goodyear F1 asymetric 5's at £80 minus 15% makes them a good deal i think??
    I know you shouldn't put a price on safety but the Goodyears review quite well.
    Need all 4 replaced at 225 45 17. Anybody any thoughts on the Goodyears?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Speaking of tyre's, last week we had two new fitted by Halfords, ordered online Wednesday, fitted Thursday morning on the drive at home, helpful lad job done in less than 30 minutes, very competitive price, no connection just very impressed.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Just trying to decide what to go for myself. Like the thought of Michelin cross climate 2 but they are very expensive. Kwikfit are doing black friday deals atm and with Goodyear F1 asymetric 5's at £80 minus 15% makes them a good deal i think??
    I know you shouldn't put a price on safety but the Goodyears review quite well.
    Need all 4 replaced at 225 45 17. Anybody any thoughts on the Goodyears?

F1 are a great tyre but not a comparison gif the cross climate - the F1 is a summer tyre rather than all season of the cross climate

Never sure about the whole summer tyre/all season thing. Not saying it's correct but most of us buy a car with summer tyres fitted as standard and they stay on till they wear out. Cumbria is a wet county and contrary to popular belief (southeners:-) is actually quite mild. Will the cost difference bear comparison in a real world situation?
    F1's do quite well in the wet.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    A timely thread as I just had all 4 tyres switched on my van yesterday.

We recently bought VW T5 and although it came on Bridgestone (Turanza ER300), I wanted to look at an all-season given we live in Cumbria and the van is 2WD. I did consider a full winter tyre but figured we mostly get cold wet roads, so went for the best tyre for that. So we now have 4x Bridgestone All Weather A005 EVO. Wet braking Category A, and still pretty good on fuel and noise. They also have 3PMSF winter marking so would be suitable for Europe etc.

It was a toss up between these and the CrossClimate 2, but these ended up being £100 cheaper and beat the CC2 in cold wet braking, which clinched it.

I think I can even upload a side by side pic for comparison..

Last edited by IdiotAbroad; 19th November 2021 at 12:28.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Never sure about the whole summer tyre/all season thing. Not saying it's correct but most of us buy a car with summer tyres fitted as standard and they stay on till they wear out. Cumbria is a wet county and contrary to popular belief (southeners:-) is actually quite mild. Will the cost difference bear comparison in a real world situation?
    F1's do quite well in the wet.

It’s a personal choice, I was just pointing out that it’s not a direct comparison

Personally I’ve never had winter or all season tyres but others swear by them

If you’re comfortable then the F1 is a very good tyre

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    It’s a personal choice, I was just pointing out that it’s not a direct comparison

Personally I’ve never had winter or all season tyres but others swear by them

If you’re comfortable then the F1 is a very good tyre
    Cheers mate

I have Michelin PS4s and I'm yet to bin my car so highly recommend

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    With that mileage, I would opt for tyres with the best characteristics for rain. That’s the moment one uses the car. And good rain performance mostly goed with good snow performance as well.

German automagazines do tests every year. Their graphics and test outcome are clear even when you don’t speak/read German. And I’m more than happy to translate it for you when you can’t figure it out yourself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I have Michelin PS4s and I'm yet to bin my car so highly recommend

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Ditto, huge improvement on either the Pirellis or Bridgestones I've used in the past

Not that I binned in them, but as well as being more surefooted in wet conditions, they appear to make the ride more pliant

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Never replaced all 4 tyres at once and you can notice the difference. The Goodyears seem more sure footed but strangely (to me anyway) also more comortable. Defo a bit quiter too. Was never displeased with the Hankooks but they were quite old.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    F1 are a great tyre but not a comparison gif the cross climate - the F1 is a summer tyre rather than all season of the cross climate
    Goodyear Eagle F1 is A rated in the wet so not so bad through the winter months. Getting another pair fitted to the front of my ST3 tomorrow. Great grip but wear very quickly, especially on the ST which is renowned for eating front tyres🙄

Master
    Oh, and I'm a Cumbrian as well so know what wet is😁

Few Cumbrians on here :-)

Anyone used Vredestein Quatrac 5's (205 50 15)? I have been looking at replacing both my rear tires on my MR2 and these seem to review well.

Rather than start a new thread I'll dig this one up.

I'm going for 4 new tyres soon and have a diesel estate with 16" wheels so nothing high performance needed, in the past Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance has served me well but not the best winter tyre and probably old tech/design now.

Cross climate tyres look more suited to my yearly driving and the Michelin CrossClimate 2 seems to be winning all the tests and my current preferred option plus Costco has a great deal on at the moment, so is there any long term owners here, if so what are your thoughts?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Rather than start a new thread I'll dig this one up.

I'm going for 4 new tyres soon and have a diesel estate with 16" wheels so nothing high performance needed, in the past Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance has served me well but not the best winter tyre and probably old tech/design now.

Cross climate tyres look more suited to my yearly driving and the Michelin CrossClimate 2 seems to be winning all the tests and my current preferred option plus Costco has a great deal on at the moment, so is there any long term owners here, if so what are your thoughts?
    I’m a big fan of the Cross Climate in all its guises since launch, a very good tyre for cars used in the UK I think.

However, I fitted a set to my last EV, and really noticed a drop in efficiency. Not something you’d probably notice in a diesel with its copious amounts of onboard energy, but something to think about maybe.

Otherwise, I don’t think you’ll go far wrong.

Friend of mine has CrossClimate and raves about them. I ended up with the BluEarth because they didn't do CrossClimates in the size I needed and they've been ace too.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    A timely thread as I just had all 4 tyres switched on my van yesterday.

We recently bought VW T5 and although it came on Bridgestone (Turanza ER300), I wanted to look at an all-season given we live in Cumbria and the van is 2WD. I did consider a full winter tyre but figured we mostly get cold wet roads, so went for the best tyre for that. So we now have 4x Bridgestone All Weather A005 EVO. Wet braking Category A, and still pretty good on fuel and noise. They also have 3PMSF winter marking so would be suitable for Europe etc.

It was a toss up between these and the CrossClimate 2, but these ended up being £100 cheaper and beat the CC2 in cold wet braking, which clinched it.

I think I can even upload a side by side pic for comparison..

Is it perspective or is the one on the left a cdifferent size tyre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I’m a big fan of the Cross Climate in all its guises since launch, a very good tyre for cars used in the UK I think.

However, I fitted a set to my last EV, and really noticed a drop in efficiency. Not something you’d probably notice in a diesel with its copious amounts of onboard energy, but something to think about maybe.

Otherwise, I don’t think you’ll go far wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    Friend of mine has CrossClimate and raves about them. I ended up with the BluEarth because they didn't do CrossClimates in the size I needed and they've been ace too.
    Thanks, I just ordered 4 Cross Climate 2's for fitting at Costco next week, they have a good deal on of £60 off 4 Michelin tyres and are already competitive, £275 all in fitted..

Master
    I'm tyred of reading these threads! It's horses for courses, so get the best tyres, for what you do with them, that you can afford. Shimples. Shopping around may save you a few quid.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I'm tyred of reading these threads! It's horses for courses, so get the best tyres, for what you do with them, that you can afford. Shimples. Shopping around may save you a few quid.
    See what you did there

Way to *tread* all over his excitement

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Is it perspective or is the one on the left a cdifferent size tyre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0
    Exactly the same size, just not pulled in to the wheel rim when removed so looks bigger.