closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Pelagos FXD why all the sensationalism?

Master

Tudor Pelagos FXD why all the sensationalism?

Ok it's a decent looking watch, but there is nothing earth shattering about it.

I consider the fixed lugs a big disadvantage, not being able to put it on a bracelet. Also in the unlikely event that a spring bar was to fail, with the normal Pelagos on a Nato, you would still have the other one holding the watch to your wrist.

It's just a Pelagos no date with lines added to the bezel and some features removed no He valve, no bracelet, no nicely engineered clasp etc.

I understand that some people would still prefer this to the standard Pelagos, that's fine, but to put it on such a pedestal is too much fuss for very little I feel. Social media seems to have had such an effect on this lately....

Something new?

People like to get excited about anything different, especially if it's from Rolex/Tudor.

Some people will love the differences, others not, but it's something to talk about.

People were just as excited about the Pelagos when it came out and when it switched to the Rolex movement.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    It's cheap, it's a rolex brand, it's blue.

That said my social media has been slating it before and after the launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is also something relatively unusual.
    Rolex have been creeping towards jewellery for decades, with polished white gold indices and so forth.
    This is one of those rare occasions where a luxury brand has pushed the other direction, further away from jewellery and closer to toollery.
    In doing so their direction is very much closer to the original Submariners that we all recognise as the biggest icon of the wristwatch world.
    I grant you, it's only a new watch, but there is novelty in what they're up to, and people like that novelty, and its direction.

I like it and if I had the money I would have been pretty tempted to try and get one.

I've always liked the Pelagos but less keen on all the dial text(this goes some way to rectify) and slab sidedness and also prefer no date. As someone that also appreciates fixed bars I find the overall case design quite pleasing to admire.

For the money it's a fabulous watch IMO and an improvement on the already great original(well, current original I should say).

It‘a just something to talk about. It peaks more people’s interest as it’s at the more affordable end of the luxury watch market so in more people’s radar. It’s also scarce, quirky and it comes off a run of hyped Tudor releases (BB58, BBGMT, P01, BBchrono). The original pélagos has a few perceived faults and people were hyped to see if Tudor would address them in a new model. They then enjoy reviewing the outcome and discussing it. Tudor’s hot. New Tudor watches are hotter,

You’ve answered your own question by starting a second thread about it?

People seem to be getting very worked up over this release, the moaning and wailing on WUS and the Tudor FB Group is sad yet hilarious at the same time.

It's just a very toolish release, if Sinn had done it I bet everyone would be praising it to the heavens.

Always the same when a nice >40mm watch gets released, half the Internet in tears.

It's a little bit different. I think they got it right this time. They had it wrong with the North Flag and the jury is still out on the P01. But this time they have the right (military?) watch for their demographic. I like the solid lugs. It cuts out the city boys.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Always the same when a nice >40mm watch gets released, half the Internet in tears.
    The only half that resorts to tears:-)

Master
    Fixed bars shouldn’t fail though?

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post

I consider the fixed lugs a big disadvantage, not being able to put it on a bracelet. Also in the unlikely event that a spring bar was to fail, with the normal Pelagos on a Nato, you would still have the other one holding the watch to your wrist.

Master
    Don't get me wrong it's a very nice watch. But I think the hype around it is excessive. But then you have old beaten up 16610 Submariners being sold at twice retail....so who am I to judge :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s because Tudor as a brand targets social media platforms, it’s the target demographic to get younger folk into watches (and it’s a good first step for many). As such it’ll proactively appear in your various feeds and they will give all the insta-tubers hands on time immediately.

Ignoring the larger channels, the Tudor official video has had 16k views in 2 days. Compare it to the Zenith Safari edition the current YouTube views for the official release video are 1.3k in 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Also in the unlikely event that a spring bar was to fail, with the normal Pelagos on a Nato, you would still have the other one holding the watch to your wrist.
    In the unlikely event the spring bar was to fail, you'd probably have lost your arm along with it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    In the unlikely event the spring bar was to fail, you'd probably have lost your arm along with it
    lol. Exactly

Craftsman
    Fixed bars is a ballsy move from Tudor and I respect that, personally I’m not a fan of is how watches sit on the wrist with a nato running under the case, otherwise I think it’s a good looking watch.

Don’t you think they’re going a bit too far with the number of boutique only / special editions they’re making? Sort of loses the magic a bit if every other watch fits one of those categories

Aesthetically it's 100% something I like. The only thing that stopping me from getting one is that it's too big for my puny wrists.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Aesthetically it's 100% something I like. The only thing that stopping me from getting one is that it's too big for my puny wrists.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
    Hit the gym

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post

Don’t you think they’re going a bit too far with the number of boutique only / special editions they’re making? Sort of loses the magic a bit if every other watch fits one of those categories

They want to be the new Omega, how else will they be able to compete without them?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    They want to be the new Omega, how else will they be able to compete without them?

Haha, on an unrelated note Tudor still isn’t in the same league as omega IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Hit the gym
    Makes no difference. Its bone structure and fat as far as my research goes. There's very little exercisable muscle in the wrist. I guess you could try to work the tendons in a hope they swell!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    Makes no difference. Its bone structure and fat as far as my research goes. There's very little exercisable muscle in the wrist. I guess you could try to work the tendons in a hope they swell!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    It was in jest. But bigger forearms and overall physique would help.

Love it, great daily beater.

Master
    I must say I like the look of the new pelages. My understanding is that quite a few ADs are getting a couple in of them.

Pleased with mine. Wears very well.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post

That strap is a beaut. Is it aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    That strap is a beaut. Is it aftermarket?

Available here.

https://thestraptailor.com/product/w...ss-nato-khaki/

Journeyman
    Thank you!!

Master

Very nice indeed! Wear it in good health :)

Journeyman
    That looks tremendous, congratulations

Journeyman
    The potential for a variety of straps to look great on the watch is really impressive.

It’s a decent looking watch. Personally I find the bezel a bit busy. If they had simply removed the date from the standard blue Pelagos, I’d have bought one in a heartbeat!

Journeyman
    Took me a while to figure out the bezel, not sure if I have yet, but believe there to be a strong functional element to it.

Apprentice
    Wow looks great, now I want to swap my Pelagos TB to this one..

Journeyman
    I’d be chuffed with any of the Pelagos watches.

Go on then...

Have another