closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broadband/wifi help

Craftsman

Broadband/wifi help

I'm pretty sure someone here will be able to advise! House in France has great wifi but then (when next door neighbour turns up and starts using his connection) it often dies totally. We're both on Orange France Fibre (I get 90MBPs he gets 400MBPs...) - is there a way I can constantly monitor my connection to see when it goes down?

Thanks for any help, Francis

There's an app in the Google Play Store called WiFi Analyser, that might help, also try a different channel in your router maybe 6 or 11, the Analyser should show you which channels are crowded.

I'd try changing the WiFi channels

I asked my ISP if they were throttling the bandwidth as mine seemed to deteriorate markedly at certain times.

They said they don't do this.

It seems very coincidental.

You said WiFi - is the neighbour interefering with your WiFi or internet service ? If you connect a laptop to the router you can speed test the ISP as well as the WiFi.

We used to have a sketchy internet connection at work (rural location) and had the following which helped.

Draytek Router with fall over SIM (although needs a monthly SIM subscription, and depends on coverage).

We also had an EZ-Outlet which is a plug socket that pings a server every so often and if no repsonse will reboot the router. This will only help if your service comes back on a router reboot of course, but does seem to work quite well.

If it is your WiFi that is being affected then you can probably find a tool in the router or use a WiFi analyser app to suggest a channel to set your WiFi too if you test when his is on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    We also had an EZ-Outlet which is a plug socket that pings a server every so often and if no repsonse will reboot the router. This will only help if your service comes back on a router reboot of course, but does seem to work quite well.
    Do you have a link for that as a web search doesn't come up with anything similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Do you have a link for that as a web search doesn't come up with anything similar.
    Here you are - https://www.audon.co.uk/webcontrol/EZ-32g.html

I forgot to say it uses an ethernet cable to signal out - so in our circumstances we had one attached to the router and also powering the router so if the router stops getting the web it reboots. You can limit the reboots so if there is a proper outage it doesn't keep cycling and also the reboot delay so the machine can properly stop/reboot.

We also had one on the LAN for a NAS box.

The app is a bit old/cheap but the box works well enough.
    Last edited by MB2; 10th November 2021 at 12:56.

See if your channel is congested
    Switch to another channel
    If the router is old it might not be poss as bay only have say 2
    A new better router would norm help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks for input - will go and investigate more and revert back. I think it is actually the connection to the house rather than the wifi that suffers - the mesh network element seems fine, but plenty here to test!!

fast.com might be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    There's an app in the Google Play Store called WiFi Analyser, that might help, also try a different channel in your router maybe 6 or 11, the Analyser should show you which channels are crowded.
    This.

Craftsman
    If you want to remote monitor, buy a Fing box, plug into your router via Ethernet and set up a profile to test your connection automatically. The app has wifi analyser options included and will also alert you if the connection drops.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    If you want to remote monitor, buy a Fing box, plug into your router via Ethernet and set up a profile to test your connection automatically. The app has wifi analyser options included and will also alert you if the connection drops.

Perfect thank you

Master
    I suspect that you could use a raspberry pi in this situation certainly to run pings / speed tests, you could also install a vpn allowing you remote access to the pi to view the logs.

It might also be possible to code a solution to control a relay and power cycle the router based on ping checks like the e outlet but I suspect a couple of off the shelf products would be easier to manage.

Craftsman
    Annoyingly Fing boxes seem to no longer be a thing - Amazon not selling etc. Do you happen to know what the today equivalent might be? Sounds like the simplest way of testing and seeing what's going on remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FHKJ View Post
    Annoyingly Fing boxes seem to no longer be a thing - Amazon not selling etc. Do you happen to know what the today equivalent might be? Sounds like the simplest way of testing and seeing what's going on remotely.
    Plenty on eBay from U.K. sellers

Craftsman
    Bought on eBay thank you - should arrive and be installed when I head back out in early Dec so shall let you know how I get on. Thanks for the help all