closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Red Wing boot resole

Blog Entries

Red Wing boot resole

Having had my 875’s for a long long time the sole’s were of course pretty screwed but the uppers had aged perfectly. I couldn’t bring myself to bin em or replace at £250+ a pair now, so having had several pairs of Loakes perfectly factory resoled I thought I would give Red Wing’s UK cobbler a go.

Voilà, my perfectly patina worn in boots with spanking new genuine Red Wing soles and for the sum of 95 quid with the postage. Really impressed with the finish, could not be happier.

Pitch

They look superb now

Sent from my SM-G988B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Having had my 875’s for a long long time the sole’s were of course pretty screwed but the uppers had aged perfectly. I couldn’t bring myself to bin em or replace at £250+ a pair now, so having had several pairs of Loakes perfectly factory resoled I thought I would give Red Wing’s UK cobbler a go.

Voilà, my perfectly patina worn in boots with spanking new genuine Red Wing soles and for the sum of 95 quid with the postage. Really impressed with the finish, could not be happier.

Pitch

Hey pitch
    What’s the contact details for them?
    Jbo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Hey pitch
    What’s the contact details for them?
    Jbo
    https://www.redwinglondon.com/pages/red-wing-repairs

There goes Jimbo

Pitch

Look great now. Great job

Master
    Blog Entries
    Crackin job, mine have needed doing for some time. This thread has give me a kick up the area to get them done

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ta muchly P

J

Blog Entries
    Cheers fellas

Same hear Middo, I kept putting it off but really didn’t want to go through the ageing process with another new pair, so thought 90 quid was worth a punt.

The whole point of posting was to hopefully set the seed for others.

Another thing they do (which I asked for and they missed) is add Red Wing speed lacing hooks. My Moc toe Danner’s have these and it is so much easier.

Goodo

Pitch
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 10th November 2021 at 19:55.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good shout on a speed hook

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers fellas

Same hear Middo, I kept putting it off but really didn’t want to go through the ageing process with another new pair, so thought 90 quid was worth a punt.

The whole point of posting was to hopefully set the seed for others.

Another thing they do (which I asked for and they missed) is add Red Wing speed lacing hooks. My Moc toe Danner’s have these and it is so much easier.

Goodo

Pitch
    Check out the vid they have of that process on their web site. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Check out the vid they have of that process on their web site. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

J
    Errmmmm link???

I found one on YouTube. Shoe repair videos are strangely compelling.

Red Wing are definitely a "buy it for life" brand, or at the least not far off. Yours look fantastic, makes me look forward to my Iron Rangers aging over the years.

Are red wings worth the cash? I'm asking as I've a pair of Panama Jack's where the sole has about worn out and I like the idea of a pair of boots that I can get resoled to extend their life.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are good but not sure they are worth the current inflated prices with some of the finishing compared to other brands.

They do have some great quality leathers.

Red Wing boot resole

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Are red wings worth the cash? I'm asking as I've a pair of Panama Jack's where the sole has about worn out and I like the idea of a pair of boots that I can get resoled to extend their life.

You can probably get them resoled somewhere decent. Even this place does Timberlands.

I do like Red Wings and have 5 or 6 pairs but Red Wing themselves never really discount. Make sure your size is correct then buy elsewhere online. Haven't looked for a year but always managed to find discounts, even at John Lewis.

For resoling I would be more than happy going to RW dkrect for £95 like Pitch did.

Master
    I really want a pair now reading this.

Was going to get another pair of RMW but these have a different look.

I can see my wearing these. I keep buying timberland ones and never wear them for some reason.

Master
    Paul - how did you find the sizing & what have you looked after the uppers with, they look great but aged & not shiny new!

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    They are good but not sure they are worth the current inflated prices with some of the finishing compared to other brands.

They do have some great quality leathers.
    They do seem pricey at present
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You can probably get them resoled somewhere decent. Even this place does Timberlands.

I do like Red Wings and have 5 or 6 pairs but Red Wing themselves never really discount. Make sure your size is correct then buy elsewhere online. Haven't looked for a year but always managed to find discounts, even at John Lewis.

For resoling I would be more than happy going to RW dkrect for £95 like Pitch did.

Nice one, thank you

On the subject of moc toes, I got some Thursday Diplomats a few months ago and love them. Great Value.

You need to buy from the US, so you need some luck and research to get the sizing corect.

https://thursdayboots.com/products/m...-arizona-adobe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Paul - how did you find the sizing & what have you looked after the uppers with, they look great but aged & not shiny new!
    Red Wing for me are true to size buddy. Mine must be six years old and I haven’t treated ‘em well at all, maybe just soapy water and that’s it, I think I may have oiled them once with mink oil.

Regards quality, my Danner’s probably edge it, the leather is thicker and soles are heavier but I always just seem to grab the Red Wings over them. They are great boots but not 875’s, the speed lacing hooks are standard and a nice touch.

Pitch

I bought a couple of pairs at decent discounts a couple of years back. The moc toe and, er, I forget. Everything is more expensive nowadays.

Appreciate the info in this thread, I thought only Goodyear welted soles could be re-soled. Wish I hadn’t thrown out my favourite pair of timberlands now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lancashire sports repairs repair boots,they made a great job of our Dubarry boots.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Appreciate the info in this thread, I thought only Goodyear welted soles could be re-soled. Wish I hadn’t thrown out my favourite pair of timberlands now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also recently disposed of my 30 year old, US made Timberlands. Had them resoled by Timpsons, big mistake especially after watching several YouTube videos showing how vintage boots can be brought back to life.

On Red Wings, their Heritage boots come out well on this review of US made boots.

https://youtu.be/1vUO3DbsFkk

Nicks Boots seem to be the gold standard, there are a couple of YouTube videos from Nicks Boots one showing how Moc toes are made and another, a repair of trashed boots.

Recently had a pair of Paraboot Michael repaired by Premier Shoe Care in Golders Green and Waterloo. They are Paraboots' only approved UK repairer. £135, but a new lease of life for 20 year old shoes.

There are some great videos on YouTube of US boot repairers at work, a lockdown boredom breaking favourite, only eclipsed by Steve's reviews of MRE rations.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Prices have gone mad. I fancy a pair of trickers Burford, they are almost £500 a pair now, same oth with C&J coniston

As we're talking shoe repair, I sometimes watch this channel as a secret pleasure when I'm a bit tired and just want something methodical on in the background... https://www.youtube.com/c/Tringshoerepairkeyshop

I don't even own any expensive shoes and have never had a repair done

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I also recently disposed of my 30 year old, US made Timberlands. Had them resoled by Timpsons, big mistake especially after watching several YouTube videos showing how vintage boots can be brought back to life...
    Timpsons used to send them to a Clarks factory somewhere in the Lake District for repair. They weren't done on-site. I had good results on a couple of pairs of mocassins (what Timberland currently describe as 'authentic boat shoes') , including a pair with Goretex linings.

I also had a couple of pairs of boots refurbished (soles, eyelets, leather linings replaced & uppers treated back to nearly-new) via a Timberland retailer, but the cost wasn't much less than buying a new pair from a discounter.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Timpsons used to send them to a Clarks factory somewhere in the Lake District for repair. They weren't done on-site. I had good results on a couple of pairs of mocassins (what Timberland currently describe as 'authentic boat shoes') , including a pair with Goretex linings.

I also had a couple of pairs of boots refurbished (soles, eyelets, leather linings replaced & uppers treated back to nearly-new) via a Timberland retailer, but the cost wasn't much less than buying a new pair from a discounter.
    I used Timpsons as they had a good reputation for repairing Timberlands, I think they were an approved repairer. Anyway, mine weren’t good, the sole wasn’t flat so had pressure points and wasn’t stuck on well. It was partly my fault, I was going through a phase of slinging stuff, whilst I’m now going through an anti-consumption phase of taking what I’ve got and using it, even if it means repairing or altering what I have. The thought of nicely broken in thirty year old boots, properly repaired seems very appealing now, I regret slinging them.

Still not sure what I’m going to do with my work suits. Maybe use them for gardening or DIY around the house. Convert them to stylish pyjamas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk