closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Returning to an old faithful..,

Master
    Blog Entries

Returning to an old faithful..,

I wore this Zenith every day for 18 years before I found this place and lost control a bit.

It was an engagement gift from my now wife and we bought it new in 1998 for £1300.

I considered it superior to the Submariner as it’s very slim at 9mm.

I find the hands a little fine for my ageing eyesight so I generally wear the BB58 as it’s much more legible.

The dial is really white if that makes any sense.

Nice to give it a run out every now and then.

Always good to rediscover an old love. Apart from the hands being perhaps a little on the slim side for modern tastes it is remarkably modern for a '90s watch, still looks fantastic.

Master
    What a beautiful watch!!

What size is it out of interest. Might look for one :0)

Not seen one on these pages before........

Super-clean design.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    What a beautiful watch!!

What size is it out of interest. Might look for one :0)
    It is 39mm diameter on the outer bezel and 9mm thick. Wears smaller than the BB58; a bit.

Model number was 02.0473.670

This has a Zenith movement; there was a similar one on the same case with an ETA movement which has the date window at 3.

It is a very modest sized diver and at the time of purchase I considered it superior to the Submariner due to the slim case ... the Sub wasn't much more at the time ...

There was a NOS one of eBay a while back for £2k ... the lume had aged on the dial and not the hands as mine has ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    It is 39mm diameter on the outer bezel and 9mm thick. Wears smaller than the BB58; a bit.

Model number was 02.0473.670

This has a Zenith movement; there was a similar one on the same case with an ETA movement which has the date window at 3.

It is a very modest sized diver and at the time of purchase I considered it superior to the Submariner due to the slim case ... the Sub wasn't much more at the time ...

There was a NOS one of eBay a while back for £2k ... the lume had aged on the dial and not the hands as mine has ...
    Beautiful piece, not often seen....first came out in 1997, steel in black or white dial, steel/gold in blue or white dial.
    Then later, a version with mango dial and arabic number.
    At that time divers were a lot slimmer, GP Sea-Hawk, Concord Mariner etc etc

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    Beautiful piece, not often seen....first came out in 1997, steel in black or white dial, steel/gold in blue or white dial.
    Then later, a version with mango dial and arabic number.
    At that time divers were a lot slimmer, GP Sea-Hawk, Concord Mariner etc etc
    I still have the brochure I must have picked up when I bought it.

Here are the options:

Cool, thanks for sharing!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Apart from the hands being perhaps a little on the slim side for modern tastes it is remarkably modern for a '90s watch, still looks fantastic.
    I have considered getting the hands replaced with sword hands to improve legibility.

On one hand I get a watch which is more useful but on the other I've messed up my watch and turned it into a Franken watch ... one may get worn the other less so ... on balance I think it's better left as is and given an occasional outing.

My plan is to gift it to my nephew on a significant birthday ... he's 10 currently. I will take a view when I see what type of young adult he becomes. We have loads of photos of him with me wearing that watch so there is a connection there and his eyes are better than mine so maybe he will appreciate it.

Grand Master
    That’s a nice watch, good size and all the more appealing for being slim.

I don’t know why watches started to get too thick over the last 15-20 years, apart from certain movements such as the Valjoux 7750 it isn’t necessity to have cases like hockey pucks.

Poor legibility of the hands is a problem for the more mature owner like myself, I have a superb late 90s Zenith El Primero which is hard to read in certain light conditions and that limits the amount of wear it gets. I like to keep watches as original as possible but I’ve considered fitting a new handset and replacing the lume with black paint.

That's a beautiful watch.

Master
    That really is rather lovely. I seem to recall that the Elite movement won movement of the year when it was first introduced.

Coming to watches fairly late, I couldn't get hold of one of these new apart from finding one with a yellow dial at the Bicester outlet. Foolishly, I thought it was a bit too loud for my ultra conservative tastes and passed on it. One of my watch hunting regrets!