closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watchfinder taking the p@as surely?

Craftsman
    It's a pretty fair price given the market right now.

Also a far nicer watch that an Aquanaut (I own both). The VC has incredible finishing, and a fantastic bracelet and dial.

Craftsman
    Just agreed a deal on a new watch with WF and they gave me my money back on a 2012 116400 GV that I bought from them 3 months ago. Obviously some margin in the watch I'm buying but pleased I got to scratch the Milgauss itch for a few months at very little cost.

Ive just done, what I thought was a good part trade with them. (for a D.J. which didn't sell on here).

Also did another good trade a couple of months ago with them.

Ive used them a fair few times, at one time, they didn't seem to offer good (to me at least!) prices, I "imagine" you would get a better deal with them if you are doing a "trade or part trade" as opposed to an outright sale.

Horses for courses. Ive just traded a dj with them...I'm happy with the deal, they sort out the packaging (it just arrived this morning in fact!) then they arrange for it to be collected. I would have had to either use secursus for insurance, or driven somewhere to deliver it..so again that saves me both time and hassle!

The only thing I would say if buying from them? When they offer to size the bracelet for you........tell them your wrist is bigger than it was! lol! In the past , they didn't used to send all the links, after they'd "sized" it for you.

This may well be a thing of the past though.

I was looking at VC overseas chronos a year or two ago, waited patiently for the new model to drop like a stone like the older model with the big date did, but it never happened. Quite the opposite! Could have bought any number with a 15% discount through work at the time, too.

The whole integrated bracelet market is very buoyant right now. I'm waiting patiently for a Chopard Alpine Eagle to come down to Chopard's usual 60% of retail, but they're holding their value at a bit under £9k on chrono24.

I was going to pay for it with the sale of a 1675, and since that's going up, too, I don't know if I'll lose out buying now or waiting...

Talking about VC, when did this come out? https://monochrome-watches.com/vache...-review-price/ Bloody lovely.
    Last edited by doctorj; 2nd December 2021 at 15:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I was looking at VC overseas chronos a year or two ago, waited patiently for the new model to drop like a stone like the older model with the big date did, but it never happened. Quite the opposite! Could have bought any number with a 15% discount through work at the time, too.
    Gen 2 was out the same time you could get a discount on a sports rolex with no wait time.
    World's changed across the whole of the market

If Chopard did a time only model they might be onto something the alpine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blowers driving up the silver price.

Master
    [QUOTE=wileeeeeey;5868441Watchfinder are the new Foxtons.[/QUOTE]
    Nailed it right there!

There is a fair bang of a bubble about a few brands at the moment, with Rolex sports models being only part of it.
    You'd wonder what the fear of some of the more usual investments is that so much is being ploughed into watches. Or is it that there is simply so much liquidity out there that there is an increased need to turn it into assets.
    I blamed NFTs.
    ;)

Serious question, who the hell is thick enough to get rinsed 30-40k for a watch that retails at 10-15k?

So there may be a handful of people who getting turned over by a jewellers (sorry “my AD”) but is this just more a case of dealers putting on some nonsense price tag in the hope that a couple of mugs take the bait and everyone else thinks that’s the real price?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Serious question, who the hell is thick enough to get rinsed 30-40k for a watch that retails at 10-15k?

So there may be a handful of people who getting turned over by a jewellers (sorry “my AD”) but is this just more a case of dealers putting on some nonsense price tag in the hope that a couple of mugs take the bait and everyone else thinks that’s the real price?
    I wonder exactly the same.

Blog Entries
    It's a good question. Well, some people on here for a start, I'm sure. ;-)

Overall it has to be several thousand worldwide. How many thousands? Tens of thousands maybe, but possibly not more.

Are these people astute investors who recognise that prices will be maintained or continue rising, or mugs who are going to be left in the cold? Time will tell.

But... it does occur to me that inflation is a thing, and rapidly rising inflation is very likely to be a thing soon. Their current market buying prices might not look so terrible in 5-10 years time. (As the rest of us are shivering in fuel poverty).

I don't know. I'm just speculating. With thoughts, not money like them. But what looks like a bubble that will burst is not necessarily so. The bottom can come up to meet it, so to speak.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Blowers driving up the silver price.

Still in stock at Blowers 7 weeks later!!

I've seen a 7900V silver dial at £29.5 but don't know if that's fairly priced or overpriced given the current lack of availability. Certainly better value than the silver dial 4500V being sold by Blowers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 25807st View Post

I've seen a 7900V silver dial at £29.5 but don't know if that's fairly priced or overpriced given the current lack of availability. Certainly better value than the silver dial 4500V being sold by Blowers
    Depends if you want one soon?

A lot of people are wanting this year's releases from A&W and not the 4500v and 9/10 people into the Boutique want the blue

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 25807st View Post

Looks like Blowers cant shift the 5711 for 153k either. Been on the site for donkeys!

Watches of Wales have a SS white ceramic Daytona for 43.5k this morning - think they are dreaming with that price even for a optimistic grey

I think a rising market they are setting the price in advance of where we are now and waiting for the price to catch up. A price which is taking the piss today can often be seen as cheap/fair price tomorrow. But only in a rising market.

That said anyone paying 30k for a silver dial VC Overseas three hander needs an intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think a rising market they are setting the price in advance of where we are now and waiting for the price to catch up. A price which is taking the piss today can often be seen as cheap/fair price tomorrow. But only in a rising market.

That said anyone paying 30k for a silver dial VC Overseas three hander needs an intervention.
    Only if the price continues to rise and the item you are selling is actually shifting. Otherwise it’s just collecting dust and losing you money.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Some of the guys who were rinsed 30-40k unworn for sub 18k RRP watches last year are selling them for 68 ish mint now.
    Really thick, if thats how you define it.

I guess as long as they´re playing, gambling with money they can afford to lose, where´s the harm, and they can always wear and enjoy the thing irrespective of where the price moves, novel as it sounds.
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th March 2022 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Some of the guys who were rinsed 30-40k unworn for sub 18k RRP watches last year are selling them for 68 ish mint now.
    Really thick, if thats how you define it.
    Good if you can find someone thick enough to part with the cash, not so good if you are left high and dry.

There are only so many fools out there ready to be parted from their money.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There are always people willing to spend money on the right watches.
    Not many halfwits about with 40k+ to chuck at a bauble and if their ever increasing budgets are anything to go by, their buying habits haven't ruined them yet regardless of your lemon sucking about it.

Master
    Yip
    Those absolute mugs-city bankers,traders and the like paying 2 or 3 times RRP.
    Earning 10 times what I earn but mugs just the same.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

I have to previous version in silver with the much nicer guilloche dial and at half the price I would find it hard to refuse!

Vacheron market is a little heated but they are only catching up a little to the madness of PP and AP sports.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do wonder what the real market is like at the moment (outside grey hype and chrono24 dreams), I mean we have a real war, stocks have fallen and all over the place, inflation a little out of control and the cost of living pain hasn’t really started yet….. so we really think prices will keep going up?

Personally doesn’t bother me either way but seems a lot of people are now just conditioned to think these will keep rising, till the music stops, has it?

Possibly as working becomes even less effective as a means of bettering ones lot in the face of the challenges you mention, there might even be a further spike as more folks decide to go all in on the get rich quick/ easy ideas...depends on the extent of the conditioning I suppose.
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th March 2022 at 21:05.

There are always people willing to spend money on the right watches.
    Not many halfwits about with 40k+ to chuck at a bauble and if their ever increasing budgets are anything to go by, their buying habits haven't ruined them yet regardless of your lemon sucking about it.
    Not lemon sucking at all especially as I have one of those “baubles” What I don’t like is unsuspecting people getting suckered into the idea of this nonsense.

So you see I could join in the whole “wow how much is it worth now” guff but I am more interested in this daft thing called horology.

Kind of interesting though that anyone who dare criticise the golden goose must be somehow jealous.

Master
    Not lemon sucking at all especially as I have one of those “baubles” What I don’t like is unsuspecting people getting suckered into the idea of this nonsense.

So you see I could join in the whole “wow how much is it worth now” guff but I am more interested in this daft thing called horology.

Kind of interesting though that anyone who dare criticise the golden goose must be somehow jealous.
    I think C’s point is more that you are calling people thick for buying at way above RRP but are they really when said watch then makes them 20K
    Nowt to do with horology but not the behaviour of an idiot either.

A huge amount of these watches that are being advertised for X amount are not selling. They are being advertised in the hope someone may take the plunge. If after a period of time still unsold then they are withdrawn to be advertised at a later date or passed around in the trade. It’s all to create the illusion people are purchasing them and to keep up the hype.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 19th March 2022 at 10:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    A huge amount of these watches that are being advertised for X amount are not selling. They are being advertised in the hope someone may take the plunge. If after a period of time still unsold then they are withdrawn to be advertised at a later date or passed around in the trade. It’s all to create the illusion people are purchasing them.
    I spoke to a salesman at a mercedes dealership some years back - he advised that any cars which don’t sell within 6 weeks were moved to another dealership site (unsure if that was just within the franchise sites or whether they were moved wider)

Master
    And this weeks winner for the “I cannot believe it’s increased in value by that much is…”

239%

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    A huge amount of these watches that are being advertised for X amount are not selling. They are being advertised in the hope someone may take the plunge. If after a period of time still unsold then they are withdrawn to be advertised at a later date or passed around in the trade. It’s all to create the illusion people are purchasing them and to keep up the hype.
    I was looking for a iwc portugese chrono and there seem to be a few around I have been looking at them on eBay especially and there are a few on there and have been for months but the prices never drop by a penny

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

You've called them thick. Twice.

Bit feeble to row back on your comments now and reframe them as being concerned about unsuspecting people being suckered, particularly given that both they and you know exactly what they're doing.

All youre doing really is attempting to elevate yourself above those who pay over retail by intimating that they're stupid and youre all about the horology.
    Its just another take on the same willy waving.

Other than that, Hoods assessment is correct.

That must be in the last hour. It is quite pitiable, actually- the regularity with which he repeats himself.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That must be in the last hour. It is quite pitiable, actually- the regularity with which he repeats himself.
    Pot kettle black

Bit feeble to row back on your comments now and reframe them as being concerned about unsuspecting people being suckered, particularly given that both they and you know exactly what they're doing.

All youre doing really is attempting to elevate yourself above those who pay over retail by intimating that they're stupid and youre all about the horology.
    Its just another take on the same willy waving.

Other than that, Hoods assessment is correct.
    Not rowing back any comments and quite frankly I could accuse you of doing the same once you realised I wasn’t “lemon sucking” or green with envy at people paying well over the odds (Its nice of Raj to time how many times I comment though) now I am suddenly “Elevating myself above others” simply because I paid retail???

Erm no in fact I only mentioned I owned one when you accused me of lemon sucking not to mention the numerous snide remarks of a certain other who seems to think any criticism of this nonsense is only made by those green with envy at over inflated prices.

I could just say nothing and cash in on the hype while dealers gouge unsuspecting folk for every penny they have but why should I? I have been pretty consistent about price gouging in the watch market so I fail to see where I have rowed back anything.

Market isn’t created by demand markets created by hype. And just because there are some who would like to use watch forums to feed they hype to profit from it doesn’t mean others on the forum don’t have the right to criticise it.

Why should I say nothing when the place is full of “Wow guess how much over retail it is now”. What so some poor sod reading this can get suckered in and drop his savings on the next big thing? I see how that works for the dealers how does that work out for Joe Bloggs public like me or someone else when the money runs dry and “Those in the know”have moved on leaving everyone else high and dry?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Long lemon sucking.

Blog Entries
    Seems like the market has moved on 10k - makes WF deal positively a steal.

Question for the hive mind. What makes the market react to specific models? I mean it’s not like there are more advanced VC models that are more aesthetically pleasing (I think).

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    If you think the Overseas 4500 has moved on a bit in price, look for a 2000v or a 222! the latter hit a new high of 189chf at the weekend

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had assumed things were chilling as noticed Blowers has had a 5711 and 5164 listed for a hell of a long time as well as others.

Maybe its just PP slowing down or Blowers pricing too far out there!
    Last edited by kultschar; 8th May 2022 at 19:48.

There are loads of 5711 and 5164 hanging around. Not sure if the dealers will take a much lower offer than asking or they're just not getting offers. I suspect the latter