closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £2.5 million Speedmaster anyone?

£2.5 million Speedmaster anyone?

Here we go again with the “it’s money laundering” conspiracy theorists.
    https://www.phillips.com/detail/omega/CH080221/53
    Stunning, rare watch.
    Completely insane price.

I can't get past the brown dial, you can dress is up as tropical, talk about how even the colour is but it's brown.

I'll save my money for one with a black dial.

I quite like the brown dial. It’s certainly uncommon. Not two million squid uncommon though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

price is absolutely bonkers.

worst part is that now everyone will try to jump the ship looking for their "investment piece" and prices will skyrocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    worst part is that now everyone will try to jump the ship looking for their "investment piece" and prices will skyrocket.
    Hope so as my Speedies will go up!!

Crazy the estimate was so far off the selling price -

Estimate
    CHF80,000 - 120,000
    €74,800-112,000
    $87,100-131,000

SOLD FOR CHF3,115,500

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    If that happens I might be able to afford a Rolex

Master
    Some subs for sale at the auction tomorrow some very early ones plus a milsub, 369 version, red sub and a few DRSD’s.

Journeyman
    I love the hands, and it's a speedie so it will always have an element of cachet.
    But, £2.5 million on an otherwise "normal" albeit rate early production speedmaster?
    I'm utterly amazed by that price tbh, especially given the estimate was in the £100k range.

Crazy, and makes me wonder if I should double the asking on my VC

Sent from my Redmi K30 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I can't get past the brown dial, you can dress is up as tropical, talk about how even the colour is but it's brown.

I'll save my money for one with a black dial.
    I’d swap you a black dial for a brown one.
    That’s what the collectors pay for, this particular shade of milk chocolate brown more-so than any other.

Master

Crazy the estimate was so far off the selling price -

Estimate
    CHF80,000 - 120,000
    €74,800-112,000
    $87,100-131,000

SOLD FOR CHF3,115,500
    Above , that was exactly my thought, how come there was such a difference in the estimate and hammer price?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    I’d swap you a black dial for a brown one.
    That’s what the collectors pay for, this particular shade of milk chocolate brown more-so than any other.
    But there’s a fine line between tropic and just plain beat. That was gorgeous but I’ve seen many a dirt oil stained dial marketed as tropic.

I initially thought it was going to be a watch that had actually flown to space when I saw the price. Something seriously not right with Philips auctions. Price was not even fathomable.

Craftsman
    Agree beautiful watch with great patina but who on gods green earth paid that for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I initially thought it was going to be a watch that had actually flown to space when I saw the price. Something seriously not right with Philips auctions. Price was not even fathomable.
    I thought it was Gene Cernan's or the lost in the post Buzz Aldrin's!

Big money but lots of people have this kind of funds for high collectables, unfortunately I am not one of them..

Honest opinion - I wouldn’t pay £4,000 for it. Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Honest opinion - I wouldn’t pay £4,000 for it. Ugly
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

That chocolate metallic brown is something that cannot be faked easily and does look good to me, I could see why it went way over estimate but not by that much, get 2 or 3 uber rich all wanting the same rare item and its going to go crazy..

Would I be right in thinking it's had a fairly heavy polish?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Would I be right in thinking it's had a fairly heavy polish?
    I don’t think the photo helps, but yes, it certainly looks polished, not that it’s a massive deal for a watch that age.

I wonder if the dial would look that nice either with lesser photos

If the dealers can sell a "Steve McQueen" watch for laughable amounts that the man never wore, and all the other watch nonsense that is making a mockery of this business we plebs insist is a hobby, then this price is perfectly acceptable.

The Mil-spec was £400k. The 369 Sub was £70k which made me think it might have had “issues”.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Complete conspiracy theory, but this is the best marketing Omega could get. It puts the brand into new realms of desirability ie vintage Omega are now as expensive as Rolex.

Surely if the were to somehow purchase the watch it’s got to be money well spent?

I just don’t understand the disconnect between these crazy sales prices and the seeming actual value of the watch in comparison to the sum of its parts?
    I guess that as others have said, it’s something to do with the supposed rarity, desirability and extremely deep pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by the_gazelle View Post
    I just don’t understand the disconnect between these crazy sales prices and the seeming actual value of the watch in comparison to the sum of its parts?
    I guess that as others have said, it’s something to do with the supposed rarity, desirability and extremely deep pockets?
    Don't forget a healthy dose of money laundering.

Craftsman
    Isn’t the coloration due to a defect in the watch? Like water or sun or faulty dial to begin with? So you’re buying/collecting a defective watch albeit rare.
    Anybody check the movement?

Ridiculous price obviously, but the thing I don't understand about watches like this is that you're paying for a degredation of the dial. Fine, if it results in something cosmetically appealing, but is there any guarantee that the process is finished. What will that dial look like in 10 or 20 years time?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Don't forget a healthy dose of money laundering.
    Just because something has smashed an estimate doesn't mean there is a dodgy background, looks to have gone to a Chinese buyer and they have pockets deeper than most when it comes to rare collectables.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Ridiculous price obviously, but the thing I don't understand about watches like this is that you're paying for a degredation of the dial. Fine, if it results in something cosmetically appealing, but is there any guarantee that the process is finished. What will that dial look like in 10 or 20 years time?
    Watch has already been around 64 years so I imagine most change would have already taken place, yes it is a fault finishing process with the dial but only a limited serial number amount had this problem, add in not that many were sold and not that many are still about and not that many are in very good condition and that narrows the market down somewhat..

Master

Smile

SOLD FOR CHF3,115,500
    Damn those pesky watch flippers!

Just because something has smashed an estimate doesn't mean there is a dodgy background, looks to have gone to a Chinese buyer and they have pockets deeper than most when it comes to rare collectables.
    You're right, but I wasn't on about this one particularly, just the eye watering prices achieved at auctions for run of the mill "hot" pieces.

Last year a Hulk went at Phillips for about 30k and a Pepsi on jubilee went for about 35k or so. Could have walked into WF and had both for half at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You're right, but I wasn't on about this one particularly, just the eye watering prices achieved at auctions for run of the mill "hot" pieces.

Last year a Hulk went at Phillips for about 30k and a Pepsi on jubilee went for about 35k or so. Could have walked into WF and had both for half at the time.
    Does make you wonder why such stupid prices are paid, in all honesty there are far better ways to launder money with less foot prints than over bidding on a watch at auction, maybe amateurs might do it at smaller auction houses but doubt a high end auction with a key watch is the best place to shine a light on laundered money..

Does make you wonder why such stupid prices are paid, in all honesty there are far better ways to launder money with less foot prints than over bidding on a watch at auction..
    Lots of new ways are being attempted. This one was quite good.

https://www.pcgamer.com/twitch-money...sh-politician/

Sometimes it's also to pay for things which shouldn't be for sale. I know of a video review site which allowed a manufacturer to "sponsor their homepage" for £200k and then magically a "review" appeared giving genuinely terrible advice to the average consumer. It did however get the manufacturer out of difficult stock situation where they were going to have to scrap millions of pounds of stock as selling it after a certain date wouldn't have been legal.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 8th November 2021 at 13:25.

Craftsman
    Isn't it pretty well known that some of these tropical dials have been baked in an oven?? certainly seems to be an unusually even brown patina for it to have happened over decades

Yaaay! Me and my water damaged Heuer can start looking at new houses

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Isn't it pretty well known that some of these tropical dials have been baked in an oven?? certainly seems to be an unusually even brown patina for it to have happened over decades
    It’s “well known” but no successful examples have ever been shown.
    Just hearsay.
    A few threads on OF from a guy who have actually tried it as an experiment, saying they could not manage to replicate an attractive dial and that the results varied hugely, modern and vintage dials behaving completely differently.
    Who has a perfect 2915 dial worth £60k they want to experiment with?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Here we go again with the “it’s money laundering” conspiracy theorists.
    https://www.phillips.com/detail/omega/CH080221/53
    Stunning, rare watch.
    Completely insane price.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the extremely lucky seller of the watch , I’d love to sell my watches at circa 40 times the lower estimate, in fact I’d sell the lot tomorrow.

Lucky man.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Nobody seems to have mentioned the extremely lucky seller of the watch , I’d love to sell my watches at circa 40 times the lower estimate, in fact I’d sell the lot tomorrow.

Lucky man.
    I heard it was the well known siblings from Geneva who are known for vintage Omega.
    As you say, great result for them.
    Rumour also has it that Chinese buyers (if it indeed has gone there), are not unknown to try to renegotiate after a winning bid.
    Not heard of this before but there are stories seemingly.