closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I Just received a nice email from Microsoft

I Just received a nice email from Microsoft

In March 2022 a price increase is scheduled for all Microsoft 365 subscriptions.

Obvious but kerching

maybe now is a good time to buy their shares

Blog Entries
    There is a reason that subscription software customers are called "users"...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    There is a reason that subscription software customers are called "users"...
    Definitely not owners. I am still using Office 2013 and see no reason to ever change.

Craftsman
    You’ve missed the boat on buying shares. MS became the most valuable company over day overtaking Apple.

Unless you use a particular MS product the offerings from google are sufficient for home users

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    You’ve missed the boat on buying shares. MS became the most valuable company over day overtaking Apple.

Unless you use a particular MS product the offerings from google are sufficient for home users
    Unfortunately it is at work, as exchange is no longer secure we don’t get a choice

Master
    Tbf in the EU and U.K. energy prices have gone up, as have the average wage costs and yet I don’t recall a increase in office365, Google Documents, zoom or slack yet. I’m sure these uplifts aren’t confined to that area.

Some of these services were given foc during the hight of the pandemic so I’ll wait until they announce the uplift before moaning about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Definitely not owners. I am still using Office 2013 and see no reason to ever change.
    Agree. I always always buy standalone full packages.
    Why rent software?

Never spent more than £25

Microsoft Office seems to be entirely free via Microsoft online via the web browser, with ample free One Drive storage. I've still not quite figured out the catch? For now at least I continue to use the software, with full functionality, via browser, totally legally, for absolutely nothing.

Can always buy the subscriptions ahead of time. Always offers with good discounts from likes of amazon, Argos and elsewhere but business users may well prefer to auto-renew and buy from MS.

I pay 75 Euros per year for a family pack of five Microsoft 365 licenses, each with 1 TB OneDrive cloud storage (of which I have mounted three onto each other for my personal 3 TB cloud).

Doesn't get cheaper than that.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I pay 75 Euros per year for a family pack of five Microsoft 365 licenses, each with 1 TB OneDrive cloud storage (of which I have mounted three onto each other for my personal 3 TB cloud).

Agree, I pay about the same (but in GBP) and I think it’s amazing value for money when you think what goes into the software. And in my opinion it is head and shoulders above the abomination that is Google Docs, etc..

I also pay about £4/month for a fully hosted Exchange email account (using my own domain address).

£55.99 for myself plus up to five family members via the Home Use Programme.

Our daughter's online school sends all the work and reference material in Office 365 formats. I experimented with 'compatible' options but functionality was lost one way or another, particularly with PowerPoint slideshows which are fairly critical.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

£49.99 on Amazon for up to 6 users (Microsoft 365 Family) in early Black Friday deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    £49.99 on Amazon for up to 6 users (Microsoft 365 Family) in early Black Friday deal.
    Doesn't get better than that. The cloud alone is worth more.

What happens after a year, can you extend it with another BF deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I am in my third.

The synchronization across drives and devices has been much quicker ever since we have all been vaccinated.

The synchronization across drives and devices has been much quicker ever since we have all been vaccinated.
    You’re a very naughty boy …

Can always buy a few now to use in future years.

I Just received a nice email from Microsoft

Don’t use the cloud TBH. Dislike working from it and as a backup takes an age in my experience and limited to 6x 1TB rather than 1x 6TB (though convoluted work arounds may be possible).
    Have a surfeit of cloud storage really - this Microsoft, iCloud and Amazon but dislike them all!
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 8th November 2021 at 20:17.

Don’t use the cloud TBH. Dislike working from it and as a backup takes an age in my experience and limited to 6x 1TB rather than 1x 6TB (though convoluted work arounds may be possible).
    Have a surfeit of cloud storage really - this Microsoft, iCloud and Amazon but dislike them all!
    You can easily mount them onto each other and have 6tb - tell me where you can get 6tb of the best EU cloud available at a price anywhere close to this, and 6 MS365 free on top!

Don't use it as backup, it is fully integrated into Windows and the folders sync effortlessly in the background. Anything else is outdated.

I'm seeing a deal on Amazon £45 for 15 months and includes McAfee or Norton, but I'm not sure I want either of those or whether they're even worth having on a MacBook... Any advice appreciated?
    I wouldn't renew the protection and prior experience is almost daily reminder pop ups that I couldn't ever get rid of

Thanks for the reminder. I’ve added another year to my family account so it now expires in January 2023. This is the best way to get cross platform cloud storage for a family as well as the Office apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I'm seeing a deal on Amazon £45 for 15 months and includes McAfee or Norton, but I'm not sure I want either of those or whether they're even worth having on a MacBook... Any advice appreciated?
    I wouldn't renew the protection and prior experience is almost daily reminder pop ups that I couldn't ever get rid of
    I would get the £49.99 family account for 12 months. This doesn’t have Norton/McAfee and can be shared between 6 family members. I use the Office apps on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Air and OneDrive on all of them as well as my PC to share files.

Certainly wouldn't install either of those on Windows machine and guess the same on a Mac. Even w/o those maybe still the cheapest way of buying unless you can spread cost of family licence with others for not much more (though only 12 months).

That is only for one user and the anti-virus is worthless nonsense.

Get the six user pack for a few quid more and use Window's built-in anti-virus.

** Just saw on amazon.de they have the six user pack for 15 months with Norton for EUR 51.99 - that is just fantastic. Will discard Norton and use MS only, but that price is unbeatable.
    Last edited by Raffe; 8th November 2021 at 21:19.

that price is unbeatable.
    At this rate they'll soon be paying us to use it.

At this rate they'll soon be paying us to use it.

Craftsman
    I'm just setting up a new Windows laptop for my father. Is an anti-virus needed these days or is Windows' built in protection good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I'm just setting up a new Windows laptop for my father. Is an anti-virus needed these days or is Windows' built in protection good enough?
    Microsoft Defender and Firewall are fine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    By choice, I am still using Office 2003! I have at least two later versions, but I prefer the look and feel of this one.

Master

Libreoffice!

I have used MS office from 2002 to 2013. I used to get offers for MS office package through work which was around £ 30 IIRC.
    Never needed Office 365. Maybe I'm not clever enough to use 365 to it's full potential!
    At work we have Office Teams with all the bells & whistles!
    Since switching to Mac I've been using LibreOffice for Mac. IMO it does almost everything that MS office can do.
    PPT equivalent of LibreOffice is a bit cumbersome to use when compared with MS office. It may well be because I don't use PPT very often.
    I have often toyed with the idea of switching back to Office. Price not withstanding, I cannot think of any reason for switching back to MS office, definitely not to Office 365.
    Standalone home and student version is now available for £ 80. As a student will save a few £ as well!
    Not sure what the "premium" features are on Office 365.

If for day to day stuff I think LibreOffice is good enough. One bonus with LibreOffice-you can convert a document to PDF with minimal effort!