closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New explorer (124270, 36mm) vs. the older 36mm DJ (16233)? Photo request?

Journeyman

New explorer (124270, 36mm) vs. the older 36mm DJ (16233)? Photo request?

I've got the AD call on the new Explorer. I actually didn't know was still down for this (as that was for the previous 39mm version). I have a couple of sport models (SubC and GMT) but due to the bling I find myself wearing those with a suit more so than with a polo shirt in the pub/rugby stands.

I've been thinking about a 16233 for a while, it's a beautiful quintessential Rolex, I've tried it and it didn't seem too small. Seeing as the Explorer, at £5.1k, will be the same(ish) as a decent late-90s 16233 I guess it's a no brainer and Explorer is the obvious choice? My only reservation is, although both at 36mm, the quiet Explorer wearing even smaller than the DJ (due to the 20mm lugs and the fluted bezel of the DJ)? Is anyone lucky enough to have both and can share their thoughts?

Thanks, as ever!!

Not a 16233 but a 16200 and a new explorer.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That Explorer looks so much bigger than the DJ, are you sure they are the same size!
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    That Explorer looks so much bigger than the DJ, are you sure they are the same size!
    They are both 36mm, maybe the angle of the camera.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 3rd November 2021 at 14:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I think the white colour makes the markings & indices on the dial more obvious & subsequently the dial appears smaller.

Grand Master
    New watch vs 25 yr old watch?..........no brainer IMO.

In the past I owned the older 36mm Explorer 114270 and a 16234 Datejust (fluted bezel, Jubilee bracelet). The DJ always looked bigger than the Explorer but obviously it wasn`t. I sold both and can`t say I miss them, possibly should've kept the Explorer but with the rise in prices I would've cashed it in eventually. After 10 yrs ownership I got bored with it and sold for a good price....but not as good as current values. Ironically when I later sold the DJ I couldn't get a buyer on here and sold it to trade, surprising how folks talk about prices/values but won't pay when a chance comes along.

Prices of second-hand Rolex have gone silly, take full advantage of getting 'the call' and buy the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I sold both and can`t say I miss them
    What is in your collection now - If any?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    New watch vs 25 yr old watch?..........no brainer IMO.

In the past I owned the older 36mm Explorer 114270 and a 16234 Datejust (fluted bezel, Jubilee bracelet). The DJ always looked bigger than the Explorer but obviously it wasn`t. I sold both and can`t say I miss them, possibly should've kept the Explorer but with the rise in prices I would've cashed it in eventually. After 10 yrs ownership I got bored with it and sold for a good price....but not as good as current values. Ironically when I later sold the DJ I couldn't get a buyer on here and sold it to trade, surprising how folks talk about prices/values but won't pay when a chance comes along.

Prices of second-hand Rolex have gone silly, take full advantage of getting 'the call' and buy the new one.
    I owned the 114270 too and like you got bored of it and moved it on, annoyingly before the mental price rise. I do miss it and I'd have one again as part of a collection (it was my one watch at the time). I prefer the 114270 over the new one because the bracelet is 20mm. Why did they move to 19mm?????

Regarding your old DJ, I kick myself daily for not moving on that. Daily I tell you :-( The non-gen glass put me off but that didnt stop it being a fabulous buy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I owned the 114270 too and like you got bored of it and moved it on, annoyingly before the mental price rise. I do miss it and I'd have one again as part of a collection (it was my one watch at the time). I prefer the 114270 over the new one because the bracelet is 20mm. Why did they move to 19mm?????

Regarding your old DJ, I kick myself daily for not moving on that. Daily I tell you :-( The non-gen glass put me off but that didnt stop it being a fabulous buy.
    I’ve had a 114270 for years and it’s still my favourite watch.

OP I’d jump at the new version if you have the chance. No risk if you don’t like it.

Craftsman
    Buy it for sure. The 5 digit Datejust’s are great but the old style clasps put me off so many Rolex. As the previous poster said there’s no risk too if you ever change your mind.

I think they got the new explorer just right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the OP prefers the DJ he could take the Explorer and flip it here to someone who really wants one (eg. me!) and then get the DJ and a nice profit too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    If the OP prefers the DJ he could take the Explorer and flip it here to someone who really wants one (eg. me!) and then get the DJ and a nice profit too.
    In my mind it’s more just that the Explorer is something that’s unlikely to be able to be obtained at sensible money again. So it would be more painful if the DJ is purchased and then OP decides down the road that the explorer was the one he should have bought

Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    In my mind it’s more just that the Explorer is something that’s unlikely to be able to be obtained at sensible money again. So it would be more painful if the DJ is purchased and then OP decides down the road that the explorer was the one he should have bought
    Maybe it could work like that, then again buying a hard-to-get watch hoping that you’ll prefer it one day seems a bit of a funny idea to follow. The OP is in a win-win situation here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Maybe it could work like that, then again buying a hard-to-get watch hoping that you’ll prefer it one day seems a bit of a funny idea to follow. The OP is in a win-win situation here.
    Yeah I wrote my post thinking about it from the perspective that he wants them both equally. My ethos really is always just to buy what you like

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    They are both 36mm, maybe the angle of the camera.

I think that the narrower lug width on the Explorer makes the head look larger. It certainly suits the 36mm case much better, IMO.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post

Frankly, you were v. unwise to dismiss it for that reason!

When I bought the watch in 2007/8 the glass had a tiny chip out of the cyclops which never bothered me. Several years later I cosmetically refinished the watch which involved stripping the case down completely. This seemed the ideal time to swap the glass, the generic replacement was a perfect fit and the only difference from the original was the absence of the rolex symbol, which is difficult to see unless you look v. carefully.

With no box and papers the watch was priced very keenly. In the interests of full disclosure I stated that the glass was a replacement and in hindsight I wish I’d left the original chipped one in, logic seems to go out of the window when Rolex watches are involved. That watch should have flown off the shelf on here but it didn’t.

I sold the watch in Nov 2019 back to the trade (Gary Sanderson) for £2600, response from this forum at £2850 was v. disappointing . I contacted Blowers and got a low- ball offer on the phone , I’m certain it was a TZ member who worked for them at the time who was responsible because the lady on the phone called his name in the background, he wanted it for £2200 which was an insult.

My one remaining Rolex, a 1986 16013 Datejust in virtually mint condition, will probably get sold over the next 12 months , I can’t see me wearing it again. However, it won’t be sold on TZ, I’ll offer it to a couple of trade guys who I’m happy to deal with because it’s far less hassle. A good Rolex will sell to trade for close to SC price.

I’m OK selling the odd vintage Omega for a few hundred quid or restored G10s and that’s what I’ll stick to.

Journeyman
    Thanks all. I've gone with the New Explorer 36mm. It 'seems' a little small, but is a beautiful watch. As some have mentioned, with 2nd hand Date Justs and the new Explorer (luckily at RRP) at a very similar price - it doesn't make sense to spend the same on a 25 year old watch. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    Thanks all. I've gone with the New Explorer 36mm. It 'seems' a little small, but is a beautiful watch. As some have mentioned, with 2nd hand Date Justs and the new Explorer (luckily at RRP) at a very similar price - it doesn't make sense to spend the same on a 25 year old watch. Thanks again!
    Geat choice as I see it. That's also what i did :-)