closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling recommended straps calf or alligator?

Breitling recommended straps calf or alligator?

Hi,

Started to look at some of the new Breitlings navitimers, tried on one which was on a black calf leather strap, super comfortable.
    There appears to be 2 models one with Black Calfskin Leather and the other with Black Alligator Leather which the AD didn't have to try on.

Does anyone know the difference between the calfskin and alligator leather, the alligator straps is listed as more expensive. My thoughts would be the alligator strap maybe not be as comfortable?

Any strap experts know the difference?
    Cheers

I have a navi on leather.
    Lovely and comfy.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Master
    I would imagine the cheaper strap would have the pin buckle and the more expensive a deployant clasp. That's the usual reason for a price jump measured in hundreds when straps are involved.
    No idea about alligator vs calf comfort but would imagine alligator would be more durable.
    Personally I'd always get a watch on a metal bracelet if given the option, and then buy a leather strap and deployant either at the same time or from a 3rd party supplier - depending on the watch.
    I've got a lust for a Navitimer Pan Am special edition on the steel 'rally style' strap. Then have a blue leather with deployant for it for Sunday best.

Master
    I have had both calf and alligator Breitling straps and I haven’t ever considered one to be more or less comfortable than the other. AFAIK the OEM Breitling straps are made by Hirsch and the OEM calf is very similar to the Hirsch Heavy Calf.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    AFAIK the OEM Breitling straps are made by Hirsch and the OEM calf is very similar to the Hirsch Heavy Calf.
    Interesting to know. thanks!

Master
    Given the way alligator straps are sourced, I would never buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Given the way alligator straps are sourced, I would never buy one.
    There are standards for ethical and sustainable sourcing of exotic leathers that lot of luxury manufacturers adhere to. Am not sure about Breitling.

Blog Entries
    The alligator straps have much more texture and “heft” than calf and have a premium feel (and price). I had one way back in time on a pin buckle - super special. For a watch costing £Ks I’m prepared to pay £100s for a good strap. The calf are a plain finish by comparison - depends what you want.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Prefer the simple and plain style of the calf myself on a Breitling because generally there is already so much going on.