closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why is it so hard to lose a dog?

Why is it so hard to lose a dog?

I’ve been a dog owner since 2003 and our first dog was a west highland white called Maisie. Apart from the occasional skin issue which is quite common in Westies she was always well. One morning when I went down to let her out she was panting quite heavily and was struggling to get up and go out for a pee.
    We took her straight to the vets where they ran tests which confirmed she was suffering from heart failure, as soon as she came off oxygen she started panting again. Sadly nothing could be done and we had to make the hardest decision to have her put to sleep which in itself was quite harrowing.
    The vet made a complete hash of the injection and all it did was make her very dopey and he had to start the whole procedure over again.
    It happened very quickly and there was hardly any time to think about what was about to happen which really was a blessing. We knew she never suffered greatly or had her life prolonged in pain due to cancer or some other horrible disease.
    The loss of her knocked me for six and it was something that grew progressively as we kept on finding little reminders around the house, clump of hair under sofa or a mouldy old tennis ball out in the garden.

Despite saying that we didn’t want another dog within a week we were looking for a another and after a shortish search a friend of ours introduced us to a Labrador breeder they knew, they had recently had a litter and Bella was the last one to go and within a few weeks we were taking her home. Within a week or so my mind was flashing back to the loss of our previous dog and since we’ve had her it’s been constantly on my mind. When you bring a new pup home you know that you’ve got at least 10 plus years ahead of you but before you realise it 5 and then 10 years goes by very quickly.
    I’m a hairy arsed bloke but I can honestly say that the thought of losing her has impacted overall the joy of having her, as the years have gone on I find it extremely difficult to consider losing her and I generally well up. You tell yourself it’s just a dog but my god, these 4 legged friends of ours really get deep in to your soul.
    They’re there when you get up, they know what you’re going to do before you do it, they know if you’re grumpy, happy or sad, they communicate with you on a level you wouldn’t think possible, they’re infuriating at times, they shyte everywhere and mess your house up with dog hair but I can’t believe there’s many dog owners that give that a second thought. I also strongly believe that a good majority of owners probably get more emotional at the thought of losing a dog than a family member. Mine are 7 and 10 and I know that in the near future we’re going to probably have to make that horrible decision that most dog owners have to make and it’s mainly due to that that I didn’t think that when they’ve gone I won’t get anymore.
    Anyway that’s enough slushy crap from me, just off to hug the dogs.
    FFF.

I know exactly what you mean. Best thing ever. Worst thing ever when the time comes. My Dobermann girl Coco on her last day..... my partner has a lovely dog but its not mine and I'm not sure I want to go through that again..... At the same time, giving another dog the gift of an amazing life is something special. Only you can choose.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie—
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find—it’s your own affair—
    But… you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!).
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone—wherever it goes—for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve:
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-time loan is as bad as a long—
    So why in—Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Dogs are incredible sentient beings - you get back what you give, unconditionally.

When people say they are a big part of your life/family it is sometimes forgotten that often, you are all of their life and family.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

A couple of years ago at around 15 years old we did the unthinkable and said goodbye to our wee terrier, it still hurts to this day, around this time last year we adopted another, sure we know that at some point we'll be torn apart again with the pain of loss, but in the meantime our mutt will be loved and will return that love many fold, one of the best things we've ever done is rehome a mutt.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Dogs are incredible sentient beings - you get back what you give, unconditionally.

When people say they are a big part of your life/family it is sometimes forgotten that often, you are all of their life and family.
    This completely, whilst we are cat people & they don't quite get the unconditional aspect of it, there have been quotes about remembering they are a part of your life, but you are their whole life; saddens me every time I think about it & remember losing a far to young cat to a car a few years back. Still upsets us, and just has typing this. wow.

Dogs are awesome. When the day comes to say goodbye to ours I'll be in bits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I’m a hairy arsed bloke but I can honestly say that the thought of losing her has impacted overall the joy of having her, as the years have gone on I find it extremely difficult to consider losing her and I generally well up. You tell yourself it’s just a dog but my god, these 4 legged friends of ours really get deep in to your soul.
    In my opinion: Try not to think too much about it. Learn from the dog: Enjoy the moment. Enjoy each other's company.

Cross difficult bridges if and when they arrive.

And it's not "just a dog"... it's a friend, a member of your family, a loved one.

It's not only dogs too: Cats are the same. And even lizards. My ex-gf has a lizard and it's ill, and the worry this is causing is terrible.

Our animals are part of our families.

So sorry to hear of Maisie's passing:( :(

I lost my #1 dog Bailey over two years ago now to a RTA, I loved that bloody dog I really did, I have owned dogs all my life since very young but I got him not long after I retired so basically I spent 24/7 with him 7 days a week, he loved his walks rain, shine or snow he would want to go out, I felt we could talk and understand each other, I really loved that dog and there is not a day go by that he isent in my thoughts many times because I do with my current dogs what I did with him so there are many reminders.

Just thinking about your loss makes me think of Bailey and as pathetic as it may sound it still brings tears to my eyes, time does help but I miss him so much :(

As they say a house without a dog is just a house.

Blog Entries
    Because we are their whole life, and they're better than us.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I recently visited a clairvoyant, she told me I would suffer a really sad event 12 years from now. Just to cheer myself up I went out and bought a puppy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Our little Westie is 14 and still really fit with no illnesses, but the next couple of years will probably reveal old age problems and eventually her demise, not looking forward to that. My wife and I have always had a dog since we married 45 years ago but when our little baby goes that’s it, no more.

We lost one of ours a couple of weeks ago, she was epileptic and had one fit too many, she never recovered so we had to make that awful decision. We’ll never forget her, and I keep seeing her out of the corner of my eye, and finding reminders her of everywhere.

Last edited by junglebert; 2nd November 2021 at 08:35.

A day I’m dreading. My Lola is nearly 12 and is on maximum painkillers for arthritis. She is with me everywhere I go and when I have to go out without her she looks at me with such deep love my heart melts. I know her time will soon be up and a massive hole will be left in my life.
    Thanks for sharing your story

Brings tears to my eyes thinking about it, we got George nearly 2 years ago and he's such a part of our life now I can't imagine being without him, we lost our young cat to a rta some months ago and that was bad enough, pets truly become part of the family, the absolute trust and devotion and unconditional affection they give is amazing. We all think we have the best dog in the world, and we are all correct.

Cheers..
    Jase

I couldn’t keep just one dog. It’s eleven months since I had to take Mr Pie on his last trip to the vet. I’d rescued him from a busy road at the beginning of 2009. His successor Mr Tommy had joined the pack a few months previously. Jenny, James, Candy and Tommy, all rescues and aged between 11-3. They all got extra cuddles that night. Coming home to an empty house would be just too much.

Blog Entries
    With dog thefts on the increase can I urge people to be extra vigilant.

I still see dogs tied outside shops and left in cars, it’s as good as offering them up to be stolen. I have often stood next to a dog outside a shop to ensure nobody took it. Had one lady ask if I was intending to steal her dog, I replied no I was standing there so nobody else did. She wasn’t very pleased, but I don’t care.
    Dogs unattended in gardens visible from the road and kennels/runs away from the house are also targeted.

Please be careful folks, I can’t imagine how people must feel who lose their pets this way.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    With dog thefts on the increase can I urge people to be extra vigilant.

I still see dogs tied outside shops and left in cars, it’s as good as offering them up to be stolen. I have often stood next to a dog outside a shop to ensure nobody took it. Had one lady ask if I was intending to steal her dog, I replied no I was standing there so nobody else did. She wasn’t very pleased, but I don’t care.
    Dogs unattended in gardens visible from the road and kennels/runs away from the house are also targeted.

Please be careful folks, I can’t imagine how people must feel who lose their pets this way.
    Well said Oaky, like you I've previously explained to people outside shops the dangers of leaving a dog unattended.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Well said Oaky, like you I've previously explained to people outside shops the dangers of leaving a dog unattended.
    Yes, it makes me go cold thinking about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    We lost one of ours a couple of weeks ago, she was epileptic and had one fit too many, she never recovered so we had to make that awful decision. We’ll never forget her, and I keep seeing her out of the corner of my eye, and finding reminders her of everywhere.

Spinone?
    Mrs Beanie was on the ISCGB health committee for years and now co-ordinates the rehome for them so we are very aware of epilepsy in the breed, tragically even in young dogs. We have been lucky with epilepsy in the last 20yrs with the breed, less so with cancer. One of ours is lying asleep on my feet as I write, and it's difficult to describe how much they give you, and how tough it is to loose them. When our last Spin went very suddenly, Mrs Beanie was adamant she couldn't have another one, but of course we now have two slobbering all over the walls, ceilings, curtains, TV screens etc.
    There is hope for us all that we have love for them in our hearts, I'm sure they make us a better person.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Spinone?
    Mrs Beanie was on the ISCGB health committee for years and now co-ordinates the rehome for them so we are very aware of epilepsy in the breed, tragically even in young dogs. We have been lucky with epilepsy in the last 20yrs with the breed, less so with cancer. One of ours is lying asleep on my feet as I write, and it's difficult to describe how much they give you, and how tough it is to loose them. When our last Spin went very suddenly, Mrs Beanie was adamant she couldn't have another one, but of course we now have two slobbering all over the walls, ceilings, curtains, TV screens etc.
    There is hope for us all that we have love for them in our hearts, I'm sure they make us a better person.
    Yeah, we had three, now down to two. They’re an incredible breed, perfect pets and great gun dogs. We have been considering rehoming one, but we’ve got an old lad of 11 years who is a bit stuck in his ways, so I think any new arrivals will have to wait.

The slobber really is something else isn’t it!

Master
    Two is a good number imo, at one point we had 5 Spins and a Springer (Mrs Beanie say's they're like Pringles, you can't stop at just one). Your old boy is doing well at 11yrs and I wish him, and you of course, all the best.

Master
    best friend you ever have. Loyal, loving, always there for you. All it wants is some love, praise and feeding. A dog never lets you down imo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I recently visited a clairvoyant, she told me I would suffer a really sad event 12 years from now. Just to cheer myself up I went out and bought a puppy.
    I saw what you did there, I think.

After our last cat passed away it was so heart-rendingly painful that I swore I would not have another pet. Then a neighbour made me aware of a cat abandoned by it's previous owners. He was living under a hedge down the road and living off the kindness of strangers. I could not stand by.

So, one plate of freshly roasted chicken later, we had a cat again. That was two years ago. He's got a dodgy left ear, snores like me (according to the missus) and has cost me several hundred quid at the vets.

But, but, but, he sits on my lap and purrs like an engine and I love him. I know there is another painful time to come. But meanwhile he's living his best life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    After our last cat passed away it was so heart-rendingly painful that I swore I would not have another pet. Then a neighbour made me aware of a cat abandoned by it's previous owners. He was living under a hedge down the road and living off the kindness of strangers. I could not stand by.

So, one plate of freshly roasted chicken later, we had a cat again. That was two years ago. He's got a dodgy left ear, snores like me (according to the missus) and has cost me several hundred quid at the vets.

But, but, but, he sits on my lap and purrs like an engine and I love him. I know there is another painful time to come. But meanwhile he's living his best life.
    Anyone helping an animal in need, instead of walking by is ok in my book. I hope good karma is a thing because you deserve some.

my mother went seriously ill after the loss of a dog.

was too attached to it and couldnt handle it.

the way i see it is a pet can die at any time and you have to accept that from the start.

i have lost 4 and the last two had horrible Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    my mother went seriously ill after the loss of a dog.

was too attached to it and couldnt handle it.

the way i see it is a pet can die at any time and you have to accept that from the start.

i have lost 4 and the last two had horrible Cancer

Most dog owners do accept it from the start but it doesn't make it any less traumatic when that times comes.

Tragically it’s the price we have to pay for being privileged to share our lives with their oh too short ones.

Run free Mia & Poppy…

I miss you every day xx

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Two is a good number imo, at one point we had 5 Spins and a Springer (Mrs Beanie say's they're like Pringles, you can't stop at just one). Your old boy is doing well at 11yrs and I wish him, and you of course, all the best.
    Yeah, we won’t have more than two again. Gnocchi is going strong at 11, he’s on heavy pain killers for his back legs, but he enjoys himself every day which is what matters.

This little villain isn’t even two yet but I dread the fateful day:

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Anyone helping an animal in need, instead of walking by is ok in my book. I hope good karma is a thing because you deserve some.
    Thank you. The other day Mr Krasnapolsky (the cat) sat on the back of the sofa, just over my left shoulder, while we both watched Cat TV on my laptop. The missus was highly amused. This and other amusing cat related events, I take as the good karma.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Tragically it’s the price we have to pay for being privileged to share our lives with their oh too short ones.

Run free Mia & Poppy…

I miss you every day xx
    ^ive quoted that exact picture so many times since I saw it…..

George, Georgie, Sausage, Georgie Sausage and You Little Swine are all the names our dog is known by…..

Rescue dog appx 6-8 mths old when we got him April 2013, he’s often described as “the youngest (son)” and “little brother” by my So

2014 looking like a beast

I’ve had dogs in a previous life, and know what’s coming in a few years but I know Mrs RJM and my lad won’t know what hit them.

2020, looking a little older…..

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post

Run free Mia & Poppy…

I miss you every day xx
    God that’s emotional. My previous dogs are hopefully up there having all sorts of fun. Run like the wind Ruby, Bonnie, Chica, Fruach, Cindy.

Meanwhile this terror keeps us amused

Journeyman
    Because Dogs really do become part and parcel of our families.
    They are personable, playful and really do emote and engage with us.
    We are lucky to have them, and losing them is hard because we grow to love them.
    I mean, my dog? Is an idiot!
    But he is most certainly my idiot and I shall mourn him when the time comes.

Sent from my Redmi K30 Pro using Tapatalk

My wife and I both had dogs as kids and we’ve had a cat (4 in total) for most of our married life.

For some reason we waited until relatively recently before getting our first dog. Elsie, our black lab, will be 4 in January. She’s loved dearly and is very loving. Like most Labradors she has a lovely temperament and a well behaved girl almost all of the time. We feed her good food and she gets two good length walks every day so hopefully she’ll live healthily and happily to a good age, but we know losing her will hit us both very hard when she goes. Far more than the cats.

If anyone who loves dogs and has even a remote interest in motorsport hasn’t seen it yet, can I recommend the film - The Art of Racing in the Rain. It’s generally a feel good film, but have some tissues to hand for the end.
    Last edited by andy tims; 4th November 2021 at 23:18.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Always had dogs from as early as I can remember. My first dog as a little lad in the early 70’s was a Weimaraner called Trotty. Growing up in a village we lived and played outside, and she would follow me everywhere, when dogs roamed more freely without leads. She would even sleep under my bed every night, and occasionally leave me a wild rabbit or pheasant!

She was my world, and the magic she wielded on me as a young boy has never left.

I wouldn’t be complete without my dogs, and just like Trotty, my boys today rarely leave my side.

As in all aspects of life, sadly the best of things never last long enough, and although this is the case with our dogs, the time we do get to spend with them is beyond comparison and a total privilege.