closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Unintended and Unexpected SOTC - warning pic heavy, boring and some Rolex content

Unintended and Unexpected SOTC - warning pic heavy, boring and some Rolex content

Apologies in advance for the lack of punctuation, I’m doing this on Tapatalk.

It’s that time of year again when I wind / set my watches to the correct time when the clocks change. I’m not sure why I do them all but I do, therapeutic maybe but I always enjoy spending an hour or two setting them all correctly at the same time whenever the clocks change.

This wasn’t going to be a SOTC but the other thread made me realise that I hadn’t seen one for a while, so whilst I was going to have them all out together at once, why not?

Not everyone enjoys these it seems but I always like to see a collection, if you do quite like to have a gander yourself then I hope this fills a few minutes with not complete guff and claptrap.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.

I will start with the unfortunate Tale of the Two Timex.

It’s been a pretty rough spring / summer for me in some ways, my Dad passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly in April, it was a cardiac arrest and he was alone, so there really was no chance for him, think Christian Eriksen at the Euros but a much older, less fit man with no medical team to rush to his aide. For him, it would have been the perfect way to go, no long drawn out illness or suffering as this was his biggest fear. For me, the shock and loss was almost unbearable at the time but now I’m glad for him to have been able to swerve any pain and suffering.

He wasn’t a wealthy man and he could never really understand the money that I spent on this hobby, I tried to gift him a couple of different watches at various times but he wasn’t interested, he was absolutely smitten with the very last wrist watch he ever bought and once found, it never left his wrist, he changed the batteries when they needed doing and I supplied and changed the straps when they were worn out.

He could tell the time easily with his ageing eyes and it even served as his bedside clock when he slept, such is the glow of the dial at night when activated. I think he loved this watch more then any that I have ever owned myself, completely not a WIS but totally taken with this timepiece.

I give you the Timex Indiglo 43mm watch with super legible and glow in the dark dial.

This watch is easily the most precious that I own, just wearing it is special to me and he was right, you can read it without your glasses on.

Then in May, we lost my Father in Law, again very suddenly and unexpectedly in the early hours, a sudden burst abdominal aortic aneurism, completely out of the blue.

This is another Timex Indiglo that is now in my possession, a kinder, more loving man you could not meet and I’m honoured to have this and it sits side by side in the watch box next to my Dads old Faithful.

Whilst I’m on heirloom watches, I will continue with a few more.

An old Sekonda that was my paternal grandfathers watch, when I was given this it didn’t work, it was rusted out and a general mess. I had it repaired and is now back in working order, I had originally planned to give it to my Dad but he said he didn’t want it and I should keep it as he had originally given it to his Dad in the first place.

Patina is often talked about here and this certainly has its fair share, just look at that crown! I particularly like the button on the side that you press to skip forward the date.

An old Seiko Kinetic that belonged to my maternal Grandfather, this was bought by my Mum who unfortunately is no longer with us either for her Dad sometime in the early 90’s, this does get a fair bit of wear at work when I’m not doing anything too heavy duty as I like to try and keep it with a good charge, I’m sure the capacitor could do with being changed as it doesn’t last too long if left.

This next one came to me when my Stepdad passed away, he was a huge model railway enthusiast, I can only presume it was a gift of some sort, perhaps with something he bought for the railway at some point? It’s tiny at just around 31mm so probably a child’s watch I would guess. Being the watch guy it was given straight to me but I will never wear and I think that it may be best in the hands of a fellow railway enthusiast.

There are also a couple of gold pocket watches, the JW Benson was my maternal Grandfather’s half hunter, a beautiful thing that does get worn occasionally with a 3 piece suit.

Also a pocket watch that was my Stepdads, this was left to me by my Mum with the instruction that it is ultimately to go to my son. I don’t know much about the make or the watch at all, it appears to be 14ct and marked as Jansun

So there you have the heirloom watches, I don’t think that these could never be parted with, so they are genuine keepers.

What makes up the rest of the collection these days then?

This old gold plated Sekonda that I picked up for starters, I know very little about it but I liked the unusual shape, it gets worn very infrequently now that I no longer work in an office.

A very nice CWC G10 that I picked up from SC with a full service is the second of these that I’ve owned, it’s too small for me really and I’m toying with trying in a G10 bund strap from Steveo to add some bulk.

I picked this 7548-700B up from SC, all original and the seller purchased from the original owner who bought the watch new in 1978, the original strap is very worn so my preference is a nato for this but I have added an uncle seiko bracelet as well

Another quartz in the mix is the Tissot PRX, I’m a huge fan of the oysterquartz but is too small for me, so no surprise that I love this.

Beater duties for this Casio MDV-106

Heavy duty work watch is the Casio Royale, I love this watch and was lucky enough to be gifted one as a freebie when I bought another watch from a fellow forum member, so I now have a spare ready to go when this gets beaten to death.

I picked up this little Timex from SC in the very early days of joining the forum, from memory I think it passed through a couple of forum members, its definitely too small for me but its got such a charm to it that I’ve not moved it on myself yet, I’m sure I will but it’s a pretty little thing and it looks as if it has a story or two to tell.

Last of the quartz is this Omega 2265.80, I’m a sucker for the sword hands, the colour of the dial is excellent and probably isn’t best represented in the pic. I’m not a fan of the bracelet so this is now on my Aqua Terra bracelet.

My Aqua Terra that was bought when flying out for my honeymoon is now the longest serving watch that I have bought, rather than inherited and won’t be going anywhere, it’s on the leather with deployant for now whilst the 2265.80 makes use of its bracelet.

Fair warning now, here comes the Rolex content. Get out now while you can if this offends you!

116710 BLNR
    I bought this to replace one that I sold, I think I would say that this is my favourite watch that I’ve owned. There’s just something so right with this for me and will not be sold again.

Usually on the bracelet but put this on a nato the other day. Such a comfortable, legible and very cool watch.

A true anniversary model from May 2017, almost the perfect watch, a touch thick but it does wear it well.

Lastly is a 16610, transitional from 168000 so has the ‘spider’ dial. I’m an absolute sucker for 4 and 5 digit subs and sea dwellers and have owned several beautiful examples but they have all ultimately been too small for my tastes and haven’t stuck around. To me, this wears bigger than the previous 14060, 16610, 5513 or 1665 and has managed to stay in the collection, despite nearly being moved on a couple of times. Its a shame that the hands which are original haven’t aged and coloured the same but the original everything else and open 6s and 9s make up for that.

I am making a conscious effort to not get my knickers in a twist over the size, IT IS BIG ENOUGH!

A group shot with them telling (pretty much) the same time after being set.

So what’s next?

I do miss having some bling so have a two tone Wimbledon dial DJ41 in the pipeline, I also have a deposit on the Snoopy 50th anniversary Speedmaster and I also have a long standing WTB for a Sinn EZM2 HYDRO

I’m trying to make a real effort to stop flipping so much and live with each watch for longer but there’s always the next one in my sights to distract me.

This turned into something much longer and boring than just setting the time on my watches. If you made it this far I do hope you still retain your will to live.
    Last edited by Craizeehair; 1st November 2021 at 07:46.

V refreshing; I like the weighting given equally to the casios and the Rollies 👍

I enjoyed reading that. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

One of the most interesting and heartfelt SOTCs I've read - thanks for sharing

Master
    Thanks for sharing that, interesting to read, and great to see the heirloom watches being valued so much.

Great read and a good bit of variety in there

Great SOTC and thanks for sharing the background to each of your watches - can'y help but note that one watch in your final picture is not covered in your summary.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, that was splendid, thoughtful and touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    Great SOTC and thanks for sharing the background to each of your watches - can'y help but note that one watch in your final picture is not covered in your summary.
    Good spot, I have added that now.

Master
    Lovely collection and great back stories. Thanks for sharing.

Master
    Very poignant and interesting SOTC. The Casio Royale certainly lives up to the title of beater with its scars and knocks on every face.
    Thanks for sharing.

Great post - I like seeing an eclectic SOTC and good to see so many inherited pieces.

It’s always been a bit of a regret that I have no inherited watches. At least my kids will do ok when I pop off.

Master
    What a great SOTC - superb stuff. Those pocket watches really are lovely looking things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    What a great SOTC - superb stuff. Those pocket watches really are lovely looking things.
    On the 1st photo of the gold pocket watch there is a button at 4 could anyone tell me what that does please ?
    I inherited a watch very similar to this and can't work out how to set the time.
    p.s.
    The gold shrouded one not the black one.
    Last edited by SeePee; 1st November 2021 at 09:35.

Great stuff - I enjoyed reading that.

Master
    What a fantastic read and SOTC. As interesting and meaningful as any I've read. Some great heirlooms that will always be treasured by you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    On the 1st photo of the gold pocket watch there is a button at 4 could anyone tell me what that does please ?
    I inherited a watch very similar to this and can't work out how to set the time.
    p.s.
    The gold shrouded one not the black one.
    On this particular watch I press this button down with my fingernail and that allows the hands to be moved via the crown to set the time.

SOTC

Thanks for a very interesting share of your collection.
    I like the Casio diver, don't see too many of these around.
    I had one and gave it to my son as his first watch, he subsequently managed to bury it somewhere in the garden of one of our previous properties and I never did find it...

Andy

Master
    Excellent SOTC, great script for a fellow collector to read.
    Many thanks,
    Colin.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That is a fab SOTC Mr Hair.
    Dont sell the spider dial!!!!!

Have you got a wrist shot of the Tissot PRX? I know we're similarly wristed and I keep being really tempted by it.

Great read and collection, bring back SOTC’s I say!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Great post and collection, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    That is a fab SOTC Mr Hair.
    Dont sell the spider dial!!!!!

Have you got a wrist shot of the Tissot PRX? I know we're similarly wristed and I keep being really tempted by it.
    Thank you, this is the only one that I can find on the phone.

Thanks to you all for the kind comments.

Thanks for sharing such personal stories Greg, lovely collection.

Lovely SOTC , really enjoyed the write up especially the heartfelt story on the Timex watches.

The electric blue Omega Seamaster is the highlight for me, still can't believe the guy that bought it before you flipped it so quick. Fabulous watch.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, I know it must have taken you a considerable amount.

An enjoyable read with a good variety in there.

Mitch

Excellent SOTC, an enjoyable nostalgic read, lots of memories in that collection.

I particularly like the second pocket watch, the detailed hands give it so much character. Have you opened it to look at the movement?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Excellent SOTC, an enjoyable nostalgic read, lots of memories in that collection.

I particularly like the second pocket watch, the detailed hands give it so much character. Have you opened it to look at the movement?
    Thank you,

Yes I have opened this one, this is what lurks beneath

I haven’t the courage to open the Benson, I can’t see any obvious way in and I’m terrified of damaging it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    On this particular watch I press this button down with my fingernail and that allows the hands to be moved via the crown to set the time.
    Thanks ever so much I'll try that tonight.
    Thank you for sharing your amazing collection with us.

Got it set now, thank you so much.
    No name at all on mine just a serial number and K18
    Last edited by SeePee; 1st November 2021 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    V refreshing; I like the weighting given equally to the casios and the Rollies 
    Agreed. Enlightening post and I always enjoy reading about the back stories behind a collection , thanks for sharing OP

Master
    Thanks ever so much I'll try that tonight.
    Thank you for sharing your amazing collection with us.

Got it set now, thank you so much.
    No name at all on mine just a serial number and K18

Glad you got it sorted

Very much enjoyed reading your SOTC OP.

My father, who passed away this time last year, was likewise very pleased with his, easy reading, Timex "Indiglo", so this brought back some fond memories.

Thank you.

A

Master
    Thank you for sharing your lovely collection, it is always a pleasure to read the stories behind the watches.

Your gold plated Sekonda is lovely, as is the vintage Tissot.

Thanks again.

Lovely collection, very varied. I do look at the MDV-106 from time to time which always leads me down the Oceanus path and ultimately into indecision.