closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Choosing a new place to live for one's retirement

Choosing a new place to live for one's retirement

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the TZ community on how to choose a new place to live for one's retirement. This is a few years off for the Mrs and I but we have already made the decision that we do not want to stay in our current house (which has served us and our family well) and would like to move to start a new chapter in our lives in a new place. We currently live on an estate in Sandbach, south Cheshire. As a town, Sandbach has served us well with our children growing up and now leaving home. The schools have been brilliant and they have all flourished in their various endeavours, with the music and sporting opportunities being of particularly high quality in this area.

If it was up to me, I'd leave the UK for a warmer climate. But, realistically, we have five children and now grandchildren are beginning to arrive (3 so far) so I don't think that my wife would tolerate a move abroad for all the obvious family reasons. So, we are looking across the north west of England at various options

She also has some disability issues which impact on her mobility. This is not going to improve as we get on in years (we are only in our early 50s now). So, one factor that is high up on our list of priorities is to be close (i.e. within walking distance if possible) of things to do - restaurants, clubs, music, theatre, library, cinema, church, etc.

One place that we really like is Chester. Not too far from our current location but clearly a much bigger town. Not as big as Manchester obviously, but I think my wife would not want to be in a large city environment either.

I'd be interested to hear about how others have approached this stage in their lives - staying put or moving? Rural, town, city? Close to family or otherwise? Down-sizing or up-sizing on the house front?

Either way, we would see this as our final move so would like to try and get it right! Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Master
    Why not downsize when ready & buy a place in the sun so you have the best of both worlds?
    My parents spend the winter months in Los Cristianos & are much better off health wise missing the cold UK winter.

My daughter is going to convert her garage for me to live in.

Master
    I went golfing two weeks back to the Algarve and went to see my dads mate who moved there around 60. At age 70 he built an amazing villa away from the tourist side (east of Faro) and at 74 he’s really living the dream. Children and grandchildren come over regularly (last year aside) and they have a small place in Devon and spend quite a bit of time here in the summer.

May not be possible for you to do similar, but what their lifestyle did tell me is don’t downsize too young, unless you need to. Especially with grandchildren staying.

Master

You are in a great part of the world now. Would a move locally not appeal?

Leek, Swetenham, Bereton, etc.

This could be an interesting thread Jonathan as we are in a similar situation and it's often a topic of discussion over a few beers.

If you must remain in the NW a few places that I really like are the Pendle area and Ribble Valley, or, if you are more adventurous and cashed up, perhaps the Lake District but the tourists would be hard to deal with year after year There is some lovely countryside in Lancashire and I could quite easily grow old there. What about North Wales, I expect you probably know it quite well. living just an hour away? I could probably retire around here but Mrs Mondie will want to move on. She is dead set on Cornwall. I am not so convinced and like Pembrokeshire and North Devon/West Somerset.

We'll see, we have a good few years for the debate to rage on.
    Last edited by mondie; 31st October 2021 at 18:03.

Chester is lovely JP but your lucky you have lots of other options near you too Nantwich, Tarporley etc…

We are in exactly the same position 3 kids moved out and partnered up but no grandkids yet and teetering on moving..we live in a semi rural location small village in Lancs with a pub and not much else but bigger shops within 3-5 miles…

Very Tempted by Lake District as we spend so much time there, beautiful but it has its drawbacks like everywhere else but it would be fabulous to live in such a stunning part of country and kids would be no more than an hour away….but try finding something that ticks all boxes hard going..

That said i love sunshine and the hotter the better so thinking of a split small base here and nice place to spend 6 months in better temperatures…however Mrs not keen on owning overseas (got t shirt)…

So is Cornwall ( Padstow etc) the best of both great beaches ?….but bloody long drive.

Its a hard choice so much so were thinking just stay put and travel more ? When normality resumes…

But we feel its a cop out and you only live once…and if it doesn’t work out I guess it’s reversible?….apart from the dreaded stamp duty.

Do a 3 or 6 month rental in a place you fancy and you can see whether is suits you. In retirement you might find you need more going on rather than less. It can also be difficult to properly integrate and be accepted in some rural areas.

Don’t rule out downsizing in Sandbach where you presumably have a circle of friends and buy a small place in the sum or just do regular 3 month rentals in the winter in Spain or Portugal or wherever takes your fancy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Do a 3 or 6 month rental in a place you fancy and you can see whether is suits you. In retirement you might find you need more going on rather than less. It can also be difficult to properly integrate and be accepted in some rural areas.

Don’t rule out downsizing in Sandbach where you presumably have a circle of friends and buy a small place in the sum or just do regular 3 month rentals in the winter in Spain or Portugal or wherever takes your fancy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Trying out an area first is a very good idea, particularly if you’re thinking of living abroad.

Have you considered moving over the border into Scotland? Many places of rare beauty, a better health system and better care for the elderly. Good transport links by train either down the east or west coasts, less crowded (out of the central belt).

Chester is nice, and the Handbridge / Queens Park area has nice old housing stock and a short walk to the centre.

If it was me, I’d have a lot of weekends away and see if an area appeals. I’m a foodie, so I can always find somewhere pretty with great food to try. Maybe one of those will gel with me and pull me out of Merseyside one day. My next stop is Marlow, never been, but you never know. I love the North West, but there are loads of places in easy reach. If you don’t know now, one option is to start exploring.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 31st October 2021 at 19:27.

Master
    Be wary of the 'foreign bolthole' idea, unless outside of the EC. I was at one stage thinking of downsizing by selling the family home, moving into our investment property and buying a place in Spain where I would spend the winter but I discovered that subsequent to Brexit your stay would be limited to a total of 90 days in any 180 days, unless you are buying property of a value more that 500,000 Euros. This urinated on the patatas fritas, I'm afraid, so I have stayed put.
    Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Be wary of the 'foreign bolthole' idea, unless outside of the EC. I was at one stage thinking of downsizing by selling the family home, moving into our investment property and buying a place in Spain where I would spend the winter but I discovered that subsequent to Brexit your stay would be limited to a total of 90 days in any 180 days, unless you are buying property of a value more that 500,000 Euros. This urinated on the patatas fritas, I'm afraid, so I have stayed put.
    Rob
    Six months out of twelve is perfect 👍

Master
    There's a huge thread on Pistonheads about this
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=207&t=1918670

I'm not there yet although it has crossed my mind and I also have seen what my parents have done and what they are planning next. It will depend on what is important to you, busy or not, country or city etc etc.
    But there are lots of other, more practical, considerations.
    Is there a bus route (you may not drive forever), do you want a single storey building or at least a bedroom on the ground floor, how long does it take to get an ambulance to you, proximity to family/friends, major hospital etc
    A small town close to a big town/city seems a good idea even though a cottage on a hillside overlooking the coast is what I'd want!

Master
    I think my earlier suggestion wasn’t ambitious enough. I have a house In Knutsford and have been at my place in London and travelling for work for over 10years. Cheshire is beautiful but maybe scope for further a field. :)

Will watch this thread with interest.

I’m getting to this point as I reach age 53 next month.

I left Liverpool in 1987 and have lived in and around SW London/NE Surrey ever since. Missus is from Hampshire.

Kids will be done with university in the next 3 years

We are mortgage free and most places around the U.K. will be cheaper.

However, biggest challenge is that we would be leaving friends in the area that took a long time to make. And the risk is you end up somewhere you just don’t bond with the locals.

On this basis I am very much a fan of renting a place for 6 months to suss out the area and the natives.

It would be a disaster if you moved only to find you became a lot more unhappy.

We've had 2 pairs of retired neighbours who moved away. One partner in each case died fairly soon after and the other wishes they had never moved (no close family and few friends).
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 31st October 2021 at 21:50.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We are seriously contemplating Espana in fact we are going to our friends for a week in three weeks time, they moved lock stock in June and say it’s the best move they have made. We would sell up but buy an Apartment here for a base.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    We've had 2 pairs of retired neighbours who moved away. One partner in each case died fairly soon after and the other wishes they had never moved (no close family and few friends).
    When you reach 70+ chances are you are attending more funerals then barbecues

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Utter negative tosh.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Chester is nice, and the Handbridge / Queens Park area has nice old housing stock and a short walk to the centre.

If it was me, I’d have a lot of weekends away and see if an area appeals. I’m a foodie, so I can always find somewhere pretty with great food to try. Maybe one of those will gel with me and pull me out of Merseyside one day. My next stop is Marlow, never been, but you never know. I love the North West, but there are loads of places in easy reach. If you don’t know now, one option is to start exploring.

Dave

Marlow in Bucks? What are you doing there? Only asking as it’s not far from me.

Master
    Probably eating, judging by the 'foodie' self-description. Pretty good place to do so.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s barely advice, but I have always thought Cuddington, just outside of Chester, to be the perfect place to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Just combine the two - everyone’s a winner.

Craftsman
    Im 15 mins from there as well in Maidenhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    As someone who as property in the UK and Spain, I will offer the following advice.

Firstly reconsider the urge to relocate as moving house is expensive and downsizing rarely makes sense. For most of us property is your best asset and relatively tax free. You may not need the money now but when you are sitting in an old folks home dribbling into towel, the bigger and more valuable your house, the better the quality of home you can afford. Also you do have a duty to bung your kids an inheritance and the best way to do that is to die in a big house.

Secondly if you do decide to buy abroad, rent for 12 months and because of the 3 month rule subsequent to Brexit, that will take you two years. The happiest expats are those who have a good house (not some titchy little apartment) abroad and a decent one back in the UK.

Finally only retire when you can cash in a decent pension, lump sums in the bank are soon depleted, so a good healthy pension is of paramount importance.

Just curious, but where are your children located in relation to your current house?

I would assume you want to be in a location that makes visiting easy all-around?

For my mother when she was alive. Furthest son was 7 miles away. Granddaughter 24 miles (she did visit her)

DON

Master
    If you buy abroad, try and buy somewhere without a lots of steps, they are a pain as we get older. Another thing with a lot of ex-pats is when you get older you will want to return to the U.K. for the free NHS as many do.
    Last edited by Steve27752; 1st November 2021 at 07:58.

Master
    JP your wish to move near Chester resonates with me as in 2019 we spent three months looking for property within 1/2 mile of Chester, having moved from East Lancashire. We had a vision of walking into Chester , dining etc. We rented 6 miles away on a bus route in and started to pop in for the evening, then Covid hit

We had the opportunity to buy a place in Wales just 5 miles from Chester, in fact we are a Chester post code. In the last 12 months we have probably visited Chester 4 times! We spend more time discovering the lanes and small pubs of Tarporley Tattenhall, Holt Farndon. When its not school holidays we go down the N.Wales coast eg seal watching at Penrhyn Bay.

In addition we are now 80 miles closer to family and Covid aside family is more of a draw than a pub or restaurant.

We have bought a standard house by a large developer, exactly the same property is being built within 3/4 mile from Chester at 33% more.

So our dream of walking into Chester, didn’t materialise, why, in truth Chester is not at its best now, lots of building, shops closed down. The surrounding area hold more interest to us.

Good luck with your choices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    If you buy abroad, try and buy somewhere without a lots of steps, they are a pain as we get older. Another thing with a lot of ex-pats is when you get older you will want to return to the U.K. for the free NHS as many do.
    The reason to stay away from apartments is steps, so it has to be a villa or nothing.

Finding a single storey villa near the coast is all but impossible so the compromise is to buy one that has a bedroom with an en suite downstairs. That way you are effectively living in a bungalow and your kids can use upstairs whenever they visit.

Your comment about the NHS is correct and that is why you need a decent bolthole back in the UK.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    JP your wish to move near Chester resonates with me as in 2019 we spent three months looking for property within 1/2 mile of Chester, having moved from East Lancashire. We had a vision of walking into Chester , dining etc. We rented 6 miles away on a bus route in and started to pop in for the evening, then Covid hit

We had the opportunity to buy a place in Wales just 5 miles from Chester, in fact we are a Chester post code. In the last 12 months we have probably visited Chester 4 times! We spend more time discovering the lanes and small pubs of Tarporley Tattenhall, Holt Farndon. When its not school holidays we go down the N.Wales coast eg seal watching at Penrhyn Bay.

In addition we are now 80 miles closer to family and Covid aside family is more of a draw than a pub or restaurant.

We have bought a standard house by a large developer, exactly the same property is being built within 3/4 mile from Chester at 33% more.

So our dream of walking into Chester, didn’t materialise, why, in truth Chester is not at its best now, lots of building, shops closed down. The surrounding area hold more interest to us.

Good luck with your choices.
    Remember Chester as a 60's child, a majestic place, the Castle and wall walks, River Dee on the hired motorboats, the zoo and the swimming pools. Would love to go back but as you say probably not at its best like many other towns throughout the UK

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Remember Chester as a 60's child, a majestic place, the Castle and wall walks, River Dee on the hired motorboats, the zoo and the swimming pools. Would love to go back but as you say probably not at its best like many other towns throughout the UK
    Most of thats still there, I cycle along the river and around the racecourse, absolutely lovely. Believe it or not some of the walls are in poor repair so they are all scaffolded in and covered in 2 m high hoardings.

In maybe two years time Chester City will have regained its composure, the vacant shops will hopefully be occupied, the major sewerage drains projects complete.
    Chester is good for watch shopping as you can visit one of Haywoods establishments or alternatively lick the windows of Boodles with three windows of Patek watches!

Master
    Wintering in the UK is pretty miserable when you are retired. We are just starting my "depressed time" of November to February. Under "normal" circumstances we would have a couple of holidays in warmer climes to recharge the batteries but Cov** put paid to that. I know that we can still go but it would not be the same. We looked at another property for the winters but the costs and hassle of two properties to look after were prohibitive. We have found it best to holiday at the start and end of the season. 5 star hotel, half board for two weeks for £1200 each including flights??? I don't know how they do it! We have met people who have second homes abroad and all they talk about is the hassle with local councils and the problems looking after their properties when they are not there. If you can afford an unlimited budget, there is no problem but not all of us are so fortunate. For the costs involved, we'll stick to the UK for most of the time and a few holidays in the winter. We are lucky enough to live in a lovely spot already (apart from those pesky holidaymakers in the summer!!!). I used to live in a large city in Yorkshire and moving away from there, with the family, is the best thing that I have done.

Thanks for all your comments and stories. It has been great to read them this morning.

In terms of our situation, one of our daughters is settled in Crewe with her partner and three children. Of the other 4, one is in Manchester, two at uni and one finishing secondary school in the next few years. Whilst I don't think you should a decision on where to live in retirement solely on where your children live (they might move!), clearly it is a factor.

Like many have said, we are spoilt for choice in Cheshire with many beautiful places and countryside. Access to things will be an issue looking ahead as my wife's mobility will not improve (she is not wheelchair bound but has to use crutches all the time). She can still drive but I don't think we can presume that this will continue long term.

I was very interested to hear people's reflections on Chester as a location. We are thinking seriously about that and we have visited the town regularly and know the area well. We have good friends in Sandbach but the urge to start a new chapter of our lives in a new place with new opportunities is strong. At the end of the day, we will maintain friendships over a short 25 mile distance or so.

Thanks for the suggestions of other places though. It was great to hear how people have enjoyed the area around Northwich (Cuddington, etc.) and we will definitely be following up on these suggestions in the months to come.

And yes, we won't be buying property abroad until our UK home is sorted. And, even then, I take your warnings seriously about that as a viable option. Long holidays or longer term rents seem like a good compromise for us in the shorter term. As I write, it is pouring with rain here and, like many others, I don't enjoy the UK winters very much anymore.

Thanks again for the shared wisdom in this thread.

Blog Entries
    I went all out. Now living in PT full time - sold the UK house - that money in investments providing enough to live off + pensions, no mortgage, 300 days of sunshine, living the dream. Got to dash - need to clean the pool. It's your life - you may have other factors.

Bit annoyed as it's been raining everyday since we arrived on Friday....

If I were to stay in UK - maybe Norwich. You can only stay 90d abroad in 180d period and now post-brexit your passport is stamped so easy to trace.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st November 2021 at 11:05.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

The thrill of moving away has often crossed my mind but living where we do with all the amenities and being close to family is something I decided I wouldn't want to do.

Before Covid we'd spend a couple of months a year in Florida but I wouldn't want to live abroad full time.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I am 15-20 years away from retirement, but have a house near London, one on Skye and one on the beach in the Balkans.

I thought of adding one somewhere with consistent sun as already I have arthritis that gets a lot worse in the cold.

However, I think it's a completely selfish act owning property and not using it properly, so instead of adding more I am looking at selling or long term renting to people who actually live there.

Communities are being gutted by second homes, and the environmental cost of traveling as well as heating and maintaining buildings when there's nobody there isn't acceptable to me anymore.

I will still probably move somewhere warmer when I get old, but not jet around or have multiple bolt holes.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If I were to stay in UK - maybe Norwich. You can only stay 90d abroad in 180d period and now post-brexit your passport is stamped so easy to trace.
    Watch out for this. My boss landed in Poland this weekend but was still checked in as being in France from weeks ago. This has eaten up loads of his 90 days and he's not been there.

The systems are definitely a bit shaky.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We're mid-sixties and recently bought a second home that hopefully will become our only home when my wife retires (though goodness knows when that will be!).

A bungalow near good amenities within walking distance would have been a sensible choice. But it's a bigger house on three floors in a small coastal village... But it's a great place to live and climbing all the stairs should help keep us fit (alongside swimming, walking and cycling around the locality). We enjoy having plenty of space (it's a fairly recent build, so well insulated and not too expensive to heat).

One of the main criteria was that it is not likely to be flooded as the risk generally increases. Plus it's far enough from the sea for coastal erosion not to be a great concern at the moment.

We don't consider it our last house - there's plenty of time for another move. Hopefully!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hand and Flowers, Tom Kerridge’s Michelin starred pub. Excuse for a weekend away with SWMBO

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Hand and Flowers, Tom Kerridge’s Michelin starred pub. Excuse for a weekend away with SWMBO

Dave

Fabulous! Great choice - been there a while back. The area generally is really nice and there are some boutiques in the High Street. There is also a bar called The Botanist which is meant to be nice. I haven’t been but Mrs Bambam has and liked it.
    If you have time then might be worth trying The Ivy as well - the one in Marlow is good.
    Depending on the weather, you could take a stroll down the High Street to the bridge and walk over the river.

Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The reason to stay away from apartments is steps, so it has to be a villa or nothing.
    We’ve got a ground floor apartment in Cyprus so no access issues as we get older. Bought in 2006 and no plans to sell.

Main residence is in UK but go to Cyprus on a regular basis. Having our eggs in more than 1 basket suits us perfectly.