I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the TZ community on how to choose a new place to live for one's retirement. This is a few years off for the Mrs and I but we have already made the decision that we do not want to stay in our current house (which has served us and our family well) and would like to move to start a new chapter in our lives in a new place. We currently live on an estate in Sandbach, south Cheshire. As a town, Sandbach has served us well with our children growing up and now leaving home. The schools have been brilliant and they have all flourished in their various endeavours, with the music and sporting opportunities being of particularly high quality in this area.

If it was up to me, I'd leave the UK for a warmer climate. But, realistically, we have five children and now grandchildren are beginning to arrive (3 so far) so I don't think that my wife would tolerate a move abroad for all the obvious family reasons. So, we are looking across the north west of England at various options

She also has some disability issues which impact on her mobility. This is not going to improve as we get on in years (we are only in our early 50s now). So, one factor that is high up on our list of priorities is to be close (i.e. within walking distance if possible) of things to do - restaurants, clubs, music, theatre, library, cinema, church, etc.

One place that we really like is Chester. Not too far from our current location but clearly a much bigger town. Not as big as Manchester obviously, but I think my wife would not want to be in a large city environment either.

I'd be interested to hear about how others have approached this stage in their lives - staying put or moving? Rural, town, city? Close to family or otherwise? Down-sizing or up-sizing on the house front?

Either way, we would see this as our final move so would like to try and get it right! Any thoughts or advice appreciated.