closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Battery Storage System

Master

Home Battery Storage System

I’ve done a search and while a few answers came up, clicking on them, would for some reason, take me to a completely different thread so I’ll start a new one.
    I subscribe to a YouTube channel called EVM and he recently did a video about home battery storage WITHOUT solar panels. Has anyone here got such a set up and can give any advice?
    As soon as I have had a smart meter fitted I can change over to Octopus Go (go faster in fact) and that would then give me the opportunity to charge such a battery for 5 hours at 5.5p per kWh. With energy prices going the way they are, it seems a no brainer, but are there any hidden pitfalls?
    Any advice on which battery to buy, size and ease of use etc would be great.

Thought Octopus go was stopping? As I looked at the same to optimise car charging

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Thought Octopus go was stopping? As I looked at the same to optimise car charging
    Not aware of that, mine renewed this month for another year. Still available on the octopus site. What made you think it was stopping?

Master
    I bloody hope not. That’s the main reason for me buying an EV.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I bloody hope not. That’s the main reason for me buying an EV.
    Just checked mine has ended today and the new options are much higher

Master
    Just checked mine has ended today and the new options are much higher
    But if I’ve read it right, the off peak price is still the same though?

Master
    Interested to hear what batteries people have & how they have fared over a few years, I believe the %age of charge they hold deteriorates over time.

Costs & sizes would help, including use with solar panels & savings made over the year.

Master
    It’s not going anywhere octopus go, they just really want people to use stable base load energy off peak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don’t store the batteries in the house

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Just don’t store the batteries in the house
    Why is this Adrian? I have just signed up to a solar install and 5kwh battery, plus EV charger all through my energy supplier (SO Energy). TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Why is this Adrian? I have just signed up to a solar install and 5kwh battery, plus EV charger all through my energy supplier (SO Energy). TIA.
    Because if a lithium battery runs away and catches fire there is no easy way of putting it out, the should be in a brick or concrete bunker in the garden, once a few houses burn down and a few politicians waste a load of hot air blaming each other it will become law.

Because if a lithium battery runs away and catches fire there is no easy way of putting it out, the should be in a brick or concrete bunker in the garden, once a few houses burn down and a few politicians waste a load of hot air blaming each other it will become law.
    Cheers, shite! I might get my trowel out and build a brickwork enclosure down the side of the house.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I am with So, where did you find the panels & battery prices?
    Nothing showing on site?

Master
    Very good point! Hadn’t thought of that.

I was interested in the topic as my friend is building a house with solar and battery storage. I did wonder if battery with no solar was an option. Obviously need to work out what the pay back period is - although prices aren’t coming down any time soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Very good point! Hadn’t thought of that.

I was interested in the topic as my friend is building a house with solar and battery storage. I did wonder if battery with no solar was an option. Obviously need to work out what the pay back period is - although prices aren’t coming down any time soon.
    Check out a YouTuber by the name of EVM. He has just done a video on the cost/payback of a battery storage system without solar.

Check out a YouTuber by the name of EVM. He has just done a video on the cost/payback of a battery storage system without solar.
    Just looked him up and watched his video about battery storage with no solar. Very interesting.

Master
    Thanks. Will do!

EDIT: https://youtu.be/_T0vahG6JPU

But spin forward to about 11 minutes to get to the point!
    Last edited by David_D; 2nd November 2021 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    I am with So, where did you find the panels & battery prices?
    Nothing showing on site?
    I literally just rung the number on the web site to enquire. I did notice the web site did not have any details. Good luck.