closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Take away Curry recipies

Take away Curry recipies

Anyone here know any genuine Curry house recipies, maybe you worked for them, have friends or family who work for them.

I know there are loads of copies that try to recreate it but real recipies are thin on the ground it would seem.

I used to be on a couple of curry forums but never found any that were anything special.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at YT channel "Latif's Inspired" - lots of Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant style recipes. The YTer is a restauranteur.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think part of the taste cannot be replicated at home. It’s what the working kitchen adds. It’s a combination of accumulated flavours in the set up, batch bought ingredients and questionable cleanliness!

You may find something here #1 .
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Buy the curry guy book, he does it properly.

Will never get the level of heat they cook with in a domestic set up, but I manage some that are equal in taste & quality, often better than some restaurants.

There is a whole BIR (British Indian restaurant) forum, well many. All looking to replicate the flavours etc.

Drop me a pm if you want, happy to share some of my more successful ones. Been doing them for a while now & have found some very reliable ones.

First part will be making a large batch of base that goes into every curry. I make it in about 5L bathes and freeze down into foil containers. One of which provides enough to make a curry for 2.

Doesn’t half stink the house out making a curry though, can linger a few days easily after.

Look up Chetna Makan on YouTube
    Great recipes and her 30 minute Indian is brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Take a look at YT channel "Latif's Inspired" - lots of Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant style recipes. The YTer is a restauranteur.
    thanks, he looks like the real deal. i will check his videos out

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I think part of the taste cannot be replicated at home. It’s what the working kitchen adds. It’s a combination of accumulated flavours in the set up, batch bought ingredients and questionable cleanliness!
    Yes, and im sure many of the pastes and that kind of thing are not in regular shops

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Buy the curry guy book, he does it properly.

Will never get the level of heat they cook with in a domestic set up, but I manage some that are equal in taste & quality, often better than some restaurants.

There is a whole BIR (British Indian restaurant) forum, well many. All looking to replicate the flavours etc.

Drop me a pm if you want, happy to share some of my more successful ones. Been doing them for a while now & have found some very reliable ones.

First part will be making a large batch of base that goes into every curry. I make it in about 5L bathes and freeze down into foil containers. One of which provides enough to make a curry for 2.

Doesn’t half stink the house out making a curry though, can linger a few days easily after.
    thanks, pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Look up Chetna Makan on YouTube
    Great recipes and her 30 minute Indian is brilliant

thanks will check that out

Sainsburys produced a book a couple of decades ago, written by Pat Chapman. Worth checking ebay for it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193868458...3ABFBMyt2B8Zpf

As mentioned previously - you make a batch of curry puree and freeze in portion. it STINKS the house for ages - wait until summer and make it outside on a portable hotplate.

Fresh spices are a must - don't use the ones that have been sitting in the back of your cupboard for ages.

[that link also shows other books by Pat Chapman which should be good too]
    Last edited by blackal; 31st October 2021 at 17:04.

What I would say is Chetna Makan is a more genuine Indian style of cooking, more what Sikh’s eat at home style than restaurant style. She does do some of those on her channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Sainsburys produced a book a couple of decades ago, written by Pat Chapman. Worth checking ebay for it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193868458874
    Or abe. It looks like it was one tome in some kind of generic collection with a spread of different authors.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Or abe. It looks like it was one tome in some kind of generic collection with a spread of different authors.
    That looks like a good resource. The one I identified is the one I have and used extensively.

Craftsman
    To help with the stink try putting malt vinegar into a side plate and leave it in the kitchen overnight. It will reduce or even get rid of the smell.

The curry guy is superb and Misty Ricardo, you need to make a base gravy but the results are excellent and well worth the time and effort.
    I genuinely make equal if not better curry’s than the takeaway.

The book "The Curry Secret" shows you how to make restaurant / takeaway curries at home. They taste exactly like take aways, because they're made the same way: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/New-Curry...5709143&sr=8-1

The sauce is mainly made by boiling loads of onions. It's a lot of work, stinks the house out, and makes a curry sauce exactly the same as you get in a restraunt. After a few gos, I came to the conclusion that it was easier to buy a takeaway.

OT: Did you know that one of the key ingredients in Chinese takeaway sweet & sour sauce is undiluted orange squash?

Master
    Following this thread. Look forward to trying some of the above resources and recipes!

Master
    They’ve already been mentioned but Pat Chapman, The Curry Guy and The Curry Secret are the ones that get close to a take away.

When cooking curry, the extractor is on full blast and kitchen door shut and window open. Growing up, if I was going out you avoid the kitchen. The onions, masala etc aroma really gets into your clothes and soft furnishings. I would never want a house with open plan kitchen.

As mentioned previously, my mom also makes the curry base in batches and freezes. Ginger and chillies are ground up frozen using ice cube trays (separate trays to the drinks ones!) and bagged up. You then use the cubes as required.

My favourite is lamb or keema and vegetarian wise I love chickpeas. I would get the base recipe but no batch is the same as my mom never weighs ingredients.

The other day my son wanted butter chicken and a Pataks (I think) jar was opened by my wife. I quite enjoyed it but my mom was not overly impressed.

The freshness of ingredients is key. The flavours here cannot compare to the flavours (in my opinion) when I visit family in India. I particularly remember having pakoras on my last visit a couple of years ago and despite the same ingredients/recipe, I think I had triple the amount I normally would eat.

The best curry (only vegetarian) is always from a gurdwara (temple) where everyone is welcome. Only requirement is to take off shoes and cover your head. Alcohol and tobacco is forbidden. I am sure the volunteers who make and serve the langar would be happy to advise.

Master
    As well as the previously mentioned BIR Facebook page, Als Kitchen on YouTube is worth a look too.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    When cooking curry, the extractor is on full blast and kitchen door shut and window open. Growing up, if I was going out you avoid the kitchen. The onions, masala etc aroma really gets into your clothes and soft furnishings. I would never want a house with open plan kitchen.

As mentioned previously, my mom also makes the curry base in batches and freezes. Ginger and chillies are ground up frozen using ice cube trays (separate trays to the drinks ones!) and bagged up. You then use the cubes as required.

My favourite is lamb or keema and vegetarian wise I love chickpeas. I would get the base recipe but no batch is the same as my mom never weighs ingredients.

The other day my son wanted butter chicken and a Pataks (I think) jar was opened by my wife. I quite enjoyed it but my mom was not overly impressed.

The freshness of ingredients is key. The flavours here cannot compare to the flavours (in my opinion) when I visit family in India. I particularly remember having pakoras on my last visit a couple of years ago and despite the same ingredients/recipe, I think I had triple the amount I normally would eat.

The best curry (only vegetarian) is always from a gurdwara (temple) where everyone is welcome. Only requirement is to take off shoes and cover your head. Alcohol and tobacco is forbidden. I am sure the volunteers who make and serve the langar would be happy to advise.
    I make the curry puree outside - as you say, the smell gets everywhere.

From the Pat Chapman’s book I made the pakora a long time ago, and mixed all the ingredients - when cooked immediately you could taste all the individual flavours, but when left for 5hrs before cooking - still great, but the flavours had amalgamated.

I’ve a recipe from a 1990 copy of the observer… it’s absolutely perfect and replicates a take-away curry to a tee. It took the person who came up with the recipe years to perfect it. I used to make one every month (it involves a lot of fecking around) but haven’t done one for a few years now. But still have the recipe safely tucked away.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The book "The Curry Secret" shows you how to make restaurant / takeaway curries at home. They taste exactly like take aways, because they're made the same way: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/New-Curry...5709143&sr=8-1

The sauce is mainly made by boiling loads of onions. It's a lot of work, stinks the house out, and makes a curry sauce exactly the same as you get in a restraunt. After a few gos, I came to the conclusion that it was easier to buy a takeaway.

OT: Did you know that one of the key ingredients in Chinese takeaway sweet & sour sauce is undiluted orange squash?
    Ive got this book, it is a fair age but the Chicken Tikka Masala is superb.
    Once the base is done the curry’s aren’t that difficult to do and well worth the effort.
    Save yourself a few quid 😀

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

I can make a good version of the deep fried prawn balls to go with the sauce, they use flour called green dragon self raising.

Also discovered the noodles brand commonly used are called lucky boat but i cant make the soy based gravy they tend to drown them in.

thanks for all the replies guys, i will check out some of those books and youtube videos

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I’ve a recipe from a 1990 copy of the observer… it’s absolutely perfect and replicates a take-away curry to a tee. It took the person who came up with the recipe years to perfect it. I used to make one every month (it involves a lot of fecking around) but haven’t done one for a few years now. But still have the recipe safely tucked away.
    C’mon then…if it was just in the paper then post it here for the curious. A picture will do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Ive got this book, it is a fair age but the Chicken Tikka Masala is superb.
    Once the base is done the curry’s aren’t that difficult to do and well worth the effort.
    Save yourself a few quid 
    A good start
    Think I picked mine up from the works quite a few years ago
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

could you post a photo of the recipe or something, sounds interesting

Master
    This has been my go to for some time. The basic gravy mix can be frozen and used as and when to save time.

https://thecurrybible.wordpress.com/

The Curry guy book is brilliant. Made the base sauce and froze it. It did'nt smell too bad.

https://www.africanbites.com/chicken-roti/

try this, its very good. Even better if you take the time to make the paratha roti skins (you do need a tawa), if not is nice with rice. Or as I do have both!

Its not as nice as a authentic curry from Trinidad, but its the best recipe I have tried in the last few years.

This guy seems to be popular so presumably pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    C’mon then…if it was just in the paper then post it here for the curious. A picture will do.
    I’ll go through my ‘newspaper cuttings’ and post a picture .. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Found it after going through all my ‘saved’ stuff . Here you go. From December 1990 … [/url].

Master
    Found it after going through all my ‘saved’ stuff . Here you go. From December 1990 …
    Thanks. I’ll look later. Unreadable on my phone tho…

Master
    I don’t think that can be read

Craftsman
    Every curry I cook just seems healthy in comparison to anything I get out. Couldn’t eat a home cooked one on a weekend I’d feel I’m betraying myself haha.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I don’t think that can be read
    It can’t, OP needs to upload his first picture like he has the second which takes to external site imgbb

Another vote for ‘The Curry Guy’ Dan Toombs. Everything I’ve made from his books has been really good, curries, naans, bahjis and kebabs. I find it quite enjoyable doing all the prep in bulk and making stuff to freeze. All explained really well in the books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk