closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If you were wondering about the music on the Ford Kuga advert...

If you were wondering about the music on the Ford Kuga advert...

It's good, isn't it? It's from a concept album (possibly the first) called 666 about the Book of Revelations, released in 1972 by a band called Aphrodite's Child. They were a Greek psychedelic rock band who actually broke up at about the time the album was released; they were notable, though, because members included Vangelis and Demis Roussos - both of whom went on to become household names across Europe (and globally so far as Vangelis is concerned).

Having been motivated to read a little about it the album clearly has a near-cult status, and the band directly influenced many more recent artists. Vangelis went on to form an association with Jon Anderson from Yes, of course (as in Jon and Vangelis).

Anyway, it'a a fantastic track, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to have thought "wow"! You can listen to the whole track here accompanied by a time-warp video (scroll down for it) - it has a great guitar riff at the end, too.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st October 2021 at 09:27.

Blog Entries
    Interesting, thanks. It sounds modern for 1972 -- could have been done recently to my mind.

Blimey, hints of Stone Roses and the like through the second half of the song!
    Wonder if they'd listened to this?
    Great find.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Interesting, thanks. It sounds modern for 1972 -- could have been done recently to my mind.
    Yes, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Blimey, hints of Stone Roses and the like through the second half of the song!
    Wonder if they'd listened to this?
    Great find.
    That's a good shout, actually.

We came back from Vietnam after the Tet offensive (1968) and arrived in late April, just before the chaos of May in Paris. The number one hit on the radio was “Rain and Tears”. It is probably my first memory of non American occidental pop music.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Interesting. Thanks for posting, T.

I dodge adverts now so hadn't seen this. It does sound very modern.

Master
    A Greek friend of mine introduced me to that tune a few years ago. Never checked out any of their other stuff, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    We came back from Vietnam after the Tet offensive (1968) and arrived in late April, just before the chaos of May in Paris. The number one hit on the radio was “Rain and Tears”. It is probably my first memory of non American occidental pop music.
    Ironically, the strikes of '68 were in part why they ended up staying in Paris (they were en-route to London when arriving in Paris, and had visa problems as well).

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for posting, T.

I dodge adverts now so hadn't seen this. It does sound very modern.
    Occasionally something pops up that makes wading through the dross worthwhile.

Amazing track and definitely very roses sounding for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It used to get played on the radio fairly frequently in days of old, and I remember Vangelis being associated with it. Don't remember Demis Roussos though.

youtu.be/_8MJVBjhK0s

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It used to get played on the radio fairly frequently in days of old, and I remember Vangelis being associated with it. Don't remember Demis Roussos though.

youtu.be/_8MJVBjhK0s
    Blimey - that's a pretty painful choice of video

This one features both Vangelis and Roussos in the stills.

Pretty sure I was introduced to this by John Peel.

Back in the mid-90s there was a weird attempt to bring psychedelia back to the charts by a band called Kula Shaker. I don't think that they were entirely successful (although the lead singer was Sir John Mills' grandson).

Sigh. Those were the days.

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing this - the song had stuck in my mind, and couldn’t remember who it was!

Interesting the Demis Roussos connection - very striking voice that is obvious now you’ve pointed it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Pretty sure I was introduced to this by John Peel.

Back in the mid-90s there was a weird attempt to bring psychedelia back to the charts by a band called Kula Shaker. I don't think that they were entirely successful (although the lead singer was Sir John Mills' grandson).

Sigh. Those were the days.
    Ah, yes - Kula Shaker! The band was actually formed by Hayley Mills' son.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Thanks for sharing this - the song had stuck in my mind, and couldn’t remember who it was!

Interesting the Demis Roussos connection - very striking voice that is obvious now you’ve pointed it out!
    Remember Forever and Ever?

The four horseman is a decent track but the rest of the album 666 is a bit of a dog’s dinner!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    The four horseman is a decent track but the rest of the album 666 is a bit of a dog’s dinner!
    Agreed. I listened to it in its entirety today - maybe one or 2 tracks that I’d revisit, otherwise forgettable.

z

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Agreed. I listened to it in its entirety today - maybe one or 2 tracks that I’d revisit, otherwise forgettable.

z

As above.
    F.T.F.A.

I have Shazam set up in the control centre on my iPhone. I frequently hear music on tv or while out and about that I think is interesting. Quick swipe down to open control centre, tap Shazam and 99% of the time get a result, which you can then play from the app, or add to music.
    Agree with the other posters that the album as a whole is poor, but that is often the case. One or two good tracks and the rest, turgid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ah, yes - Kula Shaker! The band was actually formed by Hayley Mills' son.
    I went to the same school as him at what must have been roughly the same time, although I don't recall knowing him at the time and only discovered we'd been at the same school much later. When I learned that our times at the school must have coincided, the uncomfortable fact abruptly popped into my mind that on more than one occasion I recalled expressing a desire for carnal knowledge of his mum in conversations that took place at the school. You know, the way you do when you're a teenager, talking with other teenage boys, and you have no reason to think that her son is listening.

Sorry, Crispian, if you're reading this and you ever overheard me.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I went to the same school as him at what must have been roughly the same time, although I don't recall knowing him at the time and only discovered we'd been at the same school much later. When I learned that our times at the school must have coincided, the uncomfortable fact abruptly popped into my mind that on more than one occasion I recalled expressing a desire for carnal knowledge of his mum in conversations that took place at the school. You know, the way you do when you're a teenager, talking with other teenage boys, and you have no reason to think that her son is listening.

Sorry, Crispian, if you're reading this and you ever overheard me.

I'm a big fan of Vangelis's soundtrack for Bladerunner. Amazingly atmospheric.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I'm a big fan of Vangelis's soundtrack for Bladerunner. Amazingly atmospheric.
    Not to mention Chariots of Fire...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    What a great track. Never heard that before.
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Remember Forever and Ever?
    Roussos turns up in the weirdest places. His mawkish ballad A Flower Is All You Need is the rather incongruous main theme to one of the nastiest of the video nasties, L'ultimo treno della notte aka Night Train Murders (1975), which was still banned here until very recently.

Aegian Sea is an ambient masterpiece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk