closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Digi/analogue recommendation

Digi/analogue recommendation

So, I’ve poured the internet and shortlisted 3 digi/analogue watches. If I do go down this route, I want features, I want accuracy (superquartz levels) and I want wrist presence and with great lume.

1/ Breitling B50 - by the sound of one response on another thread, possibly well avoided.
    2/ Omega x-33 (newer version) - looks great and possibly the most sensible of the 3?
    3/ Omega z-33 - quirky and possibly too bulky, but what a classic design !

I’ve even considered an old skool Breitling emergency

Any others I’m missing at this price point ?
    Experiences and recommendations ?

I've wanted a Breitling B1 for a long time so I'd say that but the omegas are pretty cool

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I've wanted a Breitling B1 for a long time so I'd say that but the omegas are pretty cool

That’s not a bad shout. Did they do the B1 in Energency edition ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    That’s not a bad shout. Did they do the B1 in Energency edition ?
    Don't think so, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion.

One of the coolest casebacks ever made, just the right amount of dial noise, different colours to choose from, fighter bracelet looks awesome on it and if you can find one with the added module its even cooler.

Looks like it walked straight off the set of top gun

The Omega Skywalker X-33 for me, I think they are the ana-digi to beat all ana-digis.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    The Omega Skywalker X-33 for me, I think they are the ana-digi to beat all ana-digis.
    Yep - it holds all the cards as a package, I think

As an Aerospace owner, I would have said an Aerospace.

I love the B55, along with the B50, but the Breitling only rechargeable battery technology looks both troublesome and expensive in the long term. The B1 is cool with wrist presence, but they are quite old now, and I would worry about a large repair bill. Of the Breitling options, the Aerospace is the best of them. I’m cold on the Omega designs, but I’m sure they are fine watches.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm inclined to agree, although I do have a soft spot for the earlier generations

The Solar Impulse is my favourite Skywalker version.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Don't think so, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion.

One of the coolest casebacks ever made, just the right amount of dial noise, different colours to choose from, fighter bracelet looks awesome on it and if you can find one with the added module its even cooler.

Looks like it walked straight off the set of top gun

Did they all come with the cal78 superquartz movement ?

No, I'm probably wrong but I think super quartz is post 2004?

Great feedback
    Anyone feedback on the z-33 ? Is it as humongous as it looks ?

"The Breitling B-1" http://www.donindiano.net/watches/breitling/b-1/

Bit more info here

Anyone feedback on the z-33 ? Is it as humongous as it looks ?
    Yep. I love a Flightline case but this one is just a bit too mahoosive, particularly the height at a gnat's under 2cm.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

My view too. I have owned one since 2015 - looks good with great presence but very light. And a timer for everything!

Grand Master
    Which digi-analogue?........none of ‘em!

Expensive to fix when they go wrong, especially older ones. Never appealed to me, I equate them with the 80s/90s in a bad way.

Each to their own, a watch with a decent guarantee is worth paying a premium for.

They are top quality. Certainly at the top of the Ana Digi league. The only thing that let's it down is the fact that you can't turn off the digital display and wear it as an analogue Omega. A decision from the design team that baffles me and the reason I sold it.
    Otherwise, a first class choice.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    They are top quality. Certainly at the top of the Ana Digi league. The only thing that let's it down is the fact that you can't turn off the digital display and wear it as an analogue Omega. A decision from the design team that baffles me and the reason I sold it.
    Otherwise, a first class choice.
    Definitely an oversight IMO but it wouldn’t stop me buying one at the right price, I know that the digital display disappears after x days of pusher inactivity but that does kinda defeat the object of having all of those functions at your fingertips.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You can manually turn off the digital display on the gen II x-33, push and hold the 7 o’clock button.

I run mine that way for most of the time, unless of course I need to use one of the many functions on offer.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

On the Skywalker that's not an option. If it was I would probably have kept it.

Digi/analogue recommendation

From the Breitling side, the 42mm Aerospace and 43mm Aerospace EVO are their very best ana-digi offerings. Also keep in mind the battery in the Aerospace caliber 79 Superquartz movement lasts 3 to 4 years. This is an area where the current Omega offerings (X33 Skywalker and Z33) fall short with required battery changes every 24 months.

The B1/Airwolf are a close second but WR suffers in those models and were only manufactured in heavy steel cases.

Another interesting and obscure ana digi option from about 10-11 years ago is the 42mm Chopard Grand Prix de Monaco Historique Time Attack MF that used a slightly modified superquartz ETA that was also the basis of the Breitling 78 used in the B1 and Airwolf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11506528400...iABEgJHCfD_BwE

Avoid the late and now defunct Breitling B50/B55. Absolutely not worth the money and problematic. I had a brand new B50 that had poor accuracy out of the box and Breitling told me it could not be regulated back to Breitling Superquartz spec (-/ + 15 secs a year). Nice concept in paper but poorly executed. I regret selling a perfectly solid and beautiful Airwolf to fund the B50. What a
    Mistake!.

Blog Entries
    Did this a while ago.

http://designmjc.com/forweb/B-1_X-33_compare_final.pdf

the x33 Mk 1/2 now have an upgraded movement 1666C thermo compensated so same accuracy as B-1
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th November 2021 at 09:39.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG