closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oysterquartz service options

Master

Oysterquartz service options

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone’s had their OQ serviced recently and what was the cost?

Can anyone recommend any independents as I only want a movement service really.

Thanks in advance.
    Neil

Journeyman
    Not used them or a recommendation but I came across this which may help:

https://www.heptinstalls.co.uk/rolex...018-from-1978/

I can personally recommend Duncan at Genesis, he's done two OQ's for me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Thanks for the really helpful replies and the Hepinstalls link was really interesting to see a stripped down movement.

Good to hear Duncan will service these and will drop him a line I think. Last thing I want is to send to Rolex and be told it needs a new dial due to “unstable lume” or a new movement even thought it’s time keeping is minus 1 sec a month.

Is there still some sort of tz-uk discount for Genesis?

Cheers
    Neil

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has used a London independent to look after their OQ? Mine needs a battery change and a replacement of the battery bridle clamp. RSC are refusing to do that without a full service, which I don't think it needs.

If not I'll be getting in touch with Duncan.

Thanks, Tom

Craftsman
    I second Duncan at genesis from what I have heard over the other side

Just bumping this as Duncan is no longer able to service OQs.

Has anybody else used a UK (preferably London) independent recently?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyT View Post
    Just bumping this as Duncan is no longer able to service OQs.
    Is that because of parts availability (or lack thereof)?

If so then I presume that no one else (neither Rolex accredited nor anyone else) will be able to replace a proprietary part such as a battery clamp.

Unless, perhaps, they are willing to cut it from sheet metal and shape it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Is that because of parts availability (or lack thereof)?

If so then I presume that no one else (neither Rolex accredited nor anyone else) will be able to replace a proprietary part such as a battery clamp.

Unless, perhaps, they are willing to cut it from sheet metal and shape it themselves.
    Sorry for delay, Duncan said he had only recently stopped servicing them because Rolex had restricted parts for that model.

So I'm hopeful there's another independent who may still have those parts? And if somebody here has recently had a service for one, I'll try them first.

If that fails it's off to RSC

Try Duncan the watch bloke. I don’t use anyone else now.

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/contact/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    What criteria does the owner apply when deciding his quartz watch doesn’t need servicing? Tinekeeping isn’t a reflection of the health of a quartz movement, generally tgey either run ir they don’t and if they run they keep good time.

Parrs for these watches will be getting scarce, its a long time since they were produced, Rolex will control use and supply of parts to maintain their own capability to support these models.

I don’t normally recommend dealing with brand service centres but with a valuable oddity such as the Oysterquartz I think its the only way to go. Maintain the watch properly and accept the cost, talk to the folks at RSC and make it clear that you want to keep the original dial and hands etc.

Another alternative is to contact William Rice, who was a Rolex accredited repairer until quite recently, he may be able to help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What criteria does the owner apply when deciding his quartz watch doesn’t need servicing? Tinekeeping isn’t a reflection of the health of a quartz movement, generally tgey either run ir they don’t and if they run they keep good time.

Parrs for these watches will be getting scarce, its a long time since they were produced, Rolex will control use and supply of parts to maintain their own capability to support these models.

I don’t normally recommend dealing with brand service centres but with a valuable oddity such as the Oysterquartz I think its the only way to go. Maintain the watch properly and accept the cost, talk to the folks at RSC and make it clear that you want to keep the original dial and hands etc.

Another alternative is to contact William Rice, who was a Rolex accredited repairer until quite recently, he may be able to help.
    In the longer term I expect you're right.

If I remember correctly from above, however, the specific item that needs replacing here is a metal battery clamp. Whilst it would be nice to have the genuine Rolex part, it really doesn't have to be. A reasonably skilled person could cut a piece of metal from thin brass sheeting and shape it as necessary. This would more than suffice until it really is time to send it to Rolex for a service (and fitting of the real piece of Swiss elf-fettled metal).

P.S. I don't claim to be an expert on OQs but I recently changed the battery in my OQ. The battery clamp is not an overly complex shape as I recall. And I was greatly relieved to not turn either of the retaining screws into pingfu**its.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st October 2021 at 11:17.

Grand Master
    Unless the watch has been serviced in recent years it'll be running as dry as a bone, on modern quartz movements where parts are available that's less of a problem but on something like this it's a no-no. Get it serviced properly and enjoy it for years to come, same advice I`d give for a mechanical watch.

His watch, his choice, but as one who gets 'up close' to watches I think my point carries some validity. Running any ageing or vintage watch till it starts to give problems is unwise, they do need to be kept lubricated correctly to avoid wearing parts out that will become harder to replace.

Also, a quartz watch is usually running 24/7 even if its worn in rotation as part of a collection, so it never gets a rest.