closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torches

Torches

Budget upto 150, not to fussed, what's the best torch out, I assume there are torch people here as you see them in the sales corner

It's for walking dogs not nothing special

Treat this as a wtb as well if anyone has one to sell

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

What sort of dogs/ what terrain?
    I am not being flippant. If you’re walking it in fields, a torch with a good throw will allow you to spot rabbits that could be of interest, even if you turn it off early enough to spare the rabbit. Otherwise you may choose one with a good, adjustable flood.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I am not being flippant. If you’re walking it in fields, a torch with a good throw will allow you to spot rabbits that could be of interest, even if you turn it off early enough to spare the rabbit. Otherwise you may choose one with a good, adjustable flood.
    Varied, live on Dartmoor

Value something small and light , don't want a huge thing

Master
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-LED9...0G3CBIJG&psc=1

B

I have this and a P7 around the house. The T7 has a good anti attack strobe.

I use 4 rechargeable AAAs

Fenix. I have several, superb build quality, used to carry one on my belt in my previous life as a Firefighter. Take your pick re size and power, the PD 35 may suit.

https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/
    F.T.F.A.

I’d choose something with an 18650 battery. Awesome capacity versus size. Torch will go in a pocket while performance will be amazing. TBH Lidl and Aldi have them periodically for about a tenner and they’re perfectly adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I’d choose something with an 18650 battery. Awesome capacity versus size. Torch will go in a pocket while performance will be amazing. TBH Lidl and Aldi have them periodically for about a tenner and they’re perfectly adequate.
    Yeah but I'd have to go in Aldi or Lidl

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post

Ah yes, adequate. But this is TZ-UK, a 10 quid quartz tells the time adequately, however . . . ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

You can get a very good torch (imho) for much less. I particularly like my Lumintop FWAA. I have one in alu and one in ti. They also come in brass and copper I believe. Super-complex Anduril 2 UI if you want that sort of thing. It will run on 14500 or AA cells. I have a Fenix E25UE that runs on a couple of AAs and has half a dozen modes. Or you could go cheap and get a LED Lenser L7, which runs on 3 AAA cels, just one mode, but focuses between flood and throw. Zebralight are worth a look and have torches using a range of cells. Nitecore make some good stuff. It's hard to make a recommendation further than this so have a look around. Budget Light Forum is good for picking torches up from China at proper prices, especially the group buys and offers. Flashaholics is worth using if you are happy paying UK prices.

OLight have a sale on at the moment

Olight Seeker 3 Pro (or Seeker 2 Pro to save a bit) would be my choice for dog walking. Plenty of flood, plenty of battery life, easy magnetic recharging without removing batteries, waterproof and drop resistant, easy UI, just a solid all round choice IMO. I use a couple of these for volunteering and they've never missed a beat.

Edit:

I recommended the Pro because you get a few extra features in the UI and a slightly higher turbo mode, but in reality the Seeker 3 is also an excellent option (and actually more lumens than the 2 pro) and is currently on sale, so that's a good shout IMO. £84 gets you the torch and a free Obulb, they're useful around the house so a nice gift thrown in. You'll also get a little keychain torch for buying during the sale.

https://www.olightstore.uk/olight-se...options-1.html

However these are coat pocket sized lights. If you want something more sleek for a jeans pocket, I'd also recommend the Warrior Mini 2. Not as powerful as the Seeker, but nevertheless will put out more than enough light for dog walking and fits nicely in a pocket. Also has a tail switch if you prefer that. The £79.50 option at the link below gets you the Warrior Mini 2, an i5R (nice pocket size rechargeable EDC type light), an i3E keychain light, and you still get the free light I mentioned before too for ordering during the sale.

https://www.olightstore.uk/olight-wa...cal-torch.html

(by the way I own the Seeker 2 Pro, Seeker 3 Pro, Warrior Mini and several others, so these recommendations are based on my personal experience)
    Last edited by M1011; 28th October 2021 at 22:39.

I have a near new one of these if interested ?

https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fe...D40R-V2.0.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Varied, live on Dartmoor
    Love Dartmoor but after dark this always comes to mind - Stick to the road!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Get a zebralight 18650 headtorch in floody warm.

Or a handheld version if you insist, but headtorches are vastly easier.

If you don't want to charge batteries then get an AA version, but rechargeables are generally more powerful.

I am happy descending mountains at midnight with mine.

Blog Entries
    LED Lenser are normally good value for money.

But take a look and fill your boots........https://heinnie.com/lighting/flashlights/?sort=priceasc
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 30th October 2021 at 12:05.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Thanks for the replies, got an OLight Seeker 3 Pro with a hanging light thing

Craftsman
    Maybe worth considering a decent divers torch.
    Check out a few of the diver websites as this time of year they can discount quite heavily. Divers like to stay trendy and update so older models can be snapped up for bargain prices.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Bit late to the party, but was going to say I love my FW3A. Glad to see there's another torch geek here. 😄

I also have a few olights, great bits of kit. Fenix, Thrunite etc are all good, I think like with watches 😲 it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Master
    I bought this for less than £20 3 years ago and would recommend to anyone as a light powerful torch (800 lumens) with variable focus. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to go high end then https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VHJR5S6/ref=emc_b_5_t
    Last edited by thegreatdogwood; 29th October 2021 at 08:53.

I’d say headtorch, for the simple reason if you’re cleaning up after your dog it will help to keep your hands free. I have a petzt Actik which is great. If you then want a second handheld torch, Sofirn are great and affordable, plus unlike an olight (which I have a few) you won’t mind the sofirn getting scuffed up a bit.

Head torches give me a migraine

I have some torches and generally discounted Olight seems to hit my sweet spot in the price vs. quality comparison. My favourite all-purpose torch however is my Surefire EDCL2-T. I really like the two way tailcap switch. Many times it’s hard to find and operate a side switch, especially in the dark (!) and with gloves.

With the EDCL2-T you get 5 lumens with a wee press of the switch or 1200 lumens with a full press. You can also rotate the cap to have it constantly on. No need to fumble looking for the switch. I know it’s sort of tactical, milspec, EDC and so on, but it’s quite good and not so tactical that I’d feel like a walt when I use it.

https://www.surefire.com/products/il...ights/edcl2-t/

Shouldnt have bought that Olight IMO.

It has 4 LED`s. Its better to have one good one because 4 LED`s = 4 sources of heat.

The 4200 lumes rating is only for marketing, it does something called stepping down. The size of it is way too small to support that power and the heat made will trigger it to lower the power over and over again untill it reaches a stable point. With a flashlight that size with 4 LED`s that will probably be not great brightness by the time you get 10 minutes into your walk.

It has a custom battery inside made by Olight that nobody wanted, Olight just made it to have a USP over other brands.
    Its better to have your own batteries and charger.

Its overpriced, the RRP they put on them are bonkers so that the sale prices look good and make the customer think they are getting a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdivedaz View Post
    Maybe worth considering a decent divers torch.
    Check out a few of the diver websites as this time of year they can discount quite heavily. Divers like to stay trendy and update so older models can be snapped up for bargain prices.
    Divers' torches are generally intended to work underwater (surprise, surprise) and can get rather warm out of the water (mine actually says NOT to use it out of the water and it's only a handheld one, not a crazily powerful umbilical one).

They're not, generally, a great choice for use out of water (not least because you pay a good chunk for the WR, which is irrelevant on the average dog walk).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

It has 4 LED`s. Its better to have one good one because 4 LED`s = 4 sources of heat.

The 4200 lumes rating is only for marketing, it does something called stepping down. The size of it is way too small to support that power and the heat made will trigger it to lower the power over and over again untill it reaches a stable point. With a flashlight that size with 4 LED`s that will probably be not great brightness by the time you get 10 minutes into your walk.

It has a custom battery inside made by Olight that nobody wanted, Olight just made it to have a USP over other brands.

Its overpriced, the RRP they put on them are bonkers so that the sale prices look good and make the customer think they are getting a good deal.
    This is factually correct but completely irrelevant if you’re not a torch geek.

Yes, the brightness of the light is not great after ten minutes at full blast, but who would use it like that? I’m sure the UI enables to use the torch at moderate power for long periods.

Yes, the built-in battery is less versatile, but the bonus is it’s less faff to charge. Again not an issue if you don’t make it one.

Yes, Olight RRP is ridiculous but what does it matter if you buy at a decent price? Anything comparable by say Fenix will be more expensive.

I'm not a torch geek

Master
    I'm not a torch geek

Me neither, all I can say is that my £20 re-chargeable jobbie from Amazon has been terrific, plenty powerful and seemingly well built

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    This is factually correct but completely irrelevant if you’re not a torch geek.

Yes, the brightness of the light is not great after ten minutes at full blast, but who would use it like that? I’m sure the UI enables to use the torch at moderate power for long periods.

Yes, the built-in battery is less versatile, but the bonus is it’s less faff to charge. Again not an issue if you don’t make it one.

Yes, Olight RRP is ridiculous but what does it matter if you buy at a decent price? Anything comparable by say Fenix will be more expensive.
    The seeker automatically steps down to a lower level, in the case of turbo mode this is about managing heat, and in the other modes it’s more about extending the runtime. I can confirm that even just on high mode (not turbo) the seeker is bloody bright, enough to light up half a farm field. For dog walking I suspect our chap here can use it on medium or high and have ample runtime (between 2-10hrs) with no heat issues. If he can afford it, I’d say it will do the job very well indeed.

How about the Sofirn IF25 (with battery)?

Advantages:

• USB-C charging
    • intermediate size battery
    • powerful enough for most needs, unless you want a thrower (needle beam)
    • variable output to match user's needs (ramping, not stepped)

(possible) Disadvantages:

• variable output means there are a lot of options to be controlled by one button (but once you've mastered the ones you use the rest can be forgotten)
    • shipping from China takes longer than from the UK...but it's worth the wait, IMO

NB Buy the battery with the torch. That saves the faff of finding one elsewhere.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I always walk my dog in the dark and usually have two torches. Because I know the routes well (fields and woods) I tend to walk just using the ambient light (moonlight and pre-dawn light) if I can do so safely. I have to turn on my head torch (worn like a necklace to avoid the migraine another poster mentioned) set on its lowest power setting so that I can see where I'm putting my feet. If I hear any interesting noises or where I know there may be wildlife, I use the other torch to light it up. Mostly I see Fallow deer, muntjac, foxes and domestic cats - though on three occasions I saw a puma - not unheard of in Hertfordshire - but that's a different story! I've got three Olights for this 'second torch' duty - a Javelot Pro, which throws a long narrow beam, a Marauder, which is a bright floodlight, and a Striker, which is similar to the OPs purchase. Of these three, my usual choice is the Striker because it has plenty of power with reasonable spread and it fits easily in my coat pocket.

I like the Olight charging system on the newer torches (a single magnetic attachment to the torch body). It may be proprietary but it's as faff-free as it gets.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The most useful thing I use for walking my dog in the fields at night is a dog collar with leds. I know where he is as he runs around.

The most useful thing I use for walking my dog in the fields at night is a dog collar with leds. I know where he is as he runs around.
    Those are something I really appreciate as a driver and as a cyclist.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Those are something I really appreciate as a driver and as a cyclist.
    If we are on the road (very rarely, fields are just across) in low or no light, he wears a high vis vest and so do I.
    Likewise when on a bike, even in broad day light I wouldn't ride on an open road without a high vis. Much more important than a helmet (which I also wear most of the time)
    Most drivers do not want to kill you. But they just might if they see you too late (or not at all).

What would you have recommended?

Master
    Blog Entries

Completely agree.

Course it's a matter of opinion if this is good value or not, but I firmly believe he could sell the torch and get his money back in 6 months. It's a limited edition, Olights are collectable, he's got it at a strong discount (it'll never be cheaper and in fact the bundle he bought has already sold out). So it's a safe bet IMO.

Some of the other bits you mention are just factually inaccurate.

4.2k lumens isn't for marketing, it's the max output of the torch and available in short bursts. 2.5 minutes is pretty decent going for a very high output on such a small torch and would cover most scenarios where you need to hit 'turbo', i.e. what's that creeping in the garden. Every torch manufacturer has multiple modes and every good torch steps down for heat management, in fact a controlled step down is a more premium feature as cheaper torches just constantly lose light. Olight are very transparent on their modes, outputs and run times, and they always live up to spec in testing. The same can't be said for many other manufacturers (LED Lenser comes to mind, read the small print on their run times and you'll be shocked...).

As for it'll "probably be not great brightness by the time you get 10 minutes into your walk", this torch runs for over 2 hours on a very bright, floody, 1.2k lumens (high) before stepping down. If it's good enough for me searching forests in the middle of the night, I assure you it'll be just fine for walking the dog.

As for 4 LEDs, by switching from a 3 LED model (Seeker 2 Pro) to a 4 LED model, they've managed to increase run times and max output using the exact same battery. They stated that they added the extra LED for this purpose. For example the previous generation stepped down on high mode after 1hr 50mins to manage heat, the new 4 led version on high mode outputs the exact same 1.2k lumens but now runs for 2hr15 mins before stepping down. The size/design is pretty much the same. I don't claim to be an expert on how this all works, but facts are facts and the 4 LED version simply runs longer at the same output on the same battery before stepping down.

On the final point regarding the customised battery, it's a debateable one. Olight batteries enable the magnetic charging feature, which is vastly superior in my opinion to having to take the battery out of the torch to charge (or those little rubber flappy things covering up a charging port in the side of the torch). However, the price Olight charge for spare batteries is a bit absurd. Unlikely to ever be an issue in this scenario as I can't see why dog walking would ever require more than the one battery, but it's worth noting you CAN use generic protected 21700 cells in this Olight, you'll just not be able to use the magnetic charging feature without the bespoke battery (so you would need to charge outside of the torch).

p.s. I promise I have no affiliation with Olight beyond owning a fair few, I just like the products!
    Last edited by M1011; 29th October 2021 at 19:29.

Craftsman
    Thanks to this thread I’ve purchased the Olight Seeker 3 Pro....this forum spends so much of my money

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Thanks to this thread I’ve purchased the Olight Seeker 3 Pro....this forum spends so much of my money

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I should be on commission

I hope you don't all hate them now or I'll be hiding in the corner lol

Olight certainly have a good marketing department!

Had this come through on a promo email Ledlenser L7, yes its not rechargeable like my Olight warriorX but for £23 delivered its a good little torch and a brand name - https://www.7dayshop.com/products/le...paign=20211030

Craftsman
    I recently bought a Ledlenser head torch and used the code FIFTYOFF to get 50%off.
    No commission or benefits accrue to me but may be of use to someone in here

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

This is like a US gun thread, but equally as techno-nerdy

Some cheapo £20 JETbeam single AA is my pocket torch; I don’t have a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    I recently bought a Ledlenser head torch and used the code FIFTYOFF to get 50%off.
    No commission or benefits accrue to me but may be of use to someone in here

Thanks a lot for this. I just saved c. £100 on a Led Lenser P7R Core and V8 in SS & ML4 Warm Lantern

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Thanks a lot for this. I just saved c. £100 on a Led Lenser P7R Core and V8 in SS & ML4 Warm Lantern
    Glad it was of some help

Wife ' I SAID BUY A TORCH NOT THE F ING BAT SIGNAL'

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wife ' I SAID BUY A TORCH NOT THE F ING BAT SIGNAL'

LOL - these LED torches can be a bit OTT!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Me neither, all I can say is that my £20 re-chargeable jobbie from Amazon has been terrific, plenty powerful and seemingly well built
    That's unbelievable, Amazon are actually selling jobbies?

Bloody hell!

Should be up to the job for walking the dog!

Go to an empty field later and stick it on turbo!!