closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch box finished, now I just need to fill it.

Journeyman

Watch box finished, now I just need to fill it.

After many months I've finally finished my latest woodworking project, a home for my humble collection.

It's made from some discarded mahogany decking so it comes complete with plenty of 'patina' straight from the start - genuine not faux of course.

The tray was by far the hardest part to figure out - ensuring the pivot points were all in the right place to ensure the tray remained level throughout the complete movement of the lid took quite a while.

There are plenty of imperfections (as with all my projects) but I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

There's a Speedbird missing from the shot so when the watches are all in that'll leave 2 slots remaining. At the rate Eddie is going churning out new designs I don't think I'll struggle to find candidates to fill it up but for now there's some space.

Anyone else ditched the ubiquitous Lidl tea box or Pelican case and made their own?

Broadsword
    Last edited by Broadsword; 26th October 2021 at 15:42. Reason: Formatting

Corker. Nice bit of comb jointing.

Excellent. Well done.

That's a really lovely thing you've made. You must be chuffed and it's well deserved!
    As you say, the pivot points must be really quite challenging to get right to maintain level deployment! Was it all done by trial and error with other scrap first, or CAD or..?

Lovely thing, that.

Journeyman
    Thanks gents.

I designed it the old fashioned way using paper and pencil but actually made a prototype of the hinge mechanism using my sons Lego to make sure I got the geometry right. All good fun. My wife saw someone's tea box at a friends house this evening and said 'why didn't you just buy one of those?' - unbelievable!

Brilliant job, that's really nice. Well done.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Agree, looks v. good. How did you cut the joints BTW - table saw, router or something else?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice work.

Craftsman
    Very nice!

It’s a little too easy to spot imperfections in one’s own work, but I suspect you’re being hard on yourself.

If it does irk you, it’s a good excuse for version two when the collection expands :)

Bravo.

I wish I had a fraction of the skill and patience required to produce something like that!

Craftsman
    Nice work. That looks great. I love using up scrap or left over wood for projects like this.

Grand Master
    Nice work, but all your watches look alike to me!

Journeyman
    Very nice

Great job! I was planning to build a wooden box for my watches when i retire - still a long way to go!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Agree, looks v. good. How did you cut the joints BTW - table saw, router or something else?
    Thanks Kingstepper.

The joints were cut on a table saw - it was a bit of a mess - the blade is 2.5mm wide but I wanted 5mm fingers so it took two passes which meant the jig I made had to be able to hold the wood in two places and allow you to move it along in equal increments to cut the next finger. Took a lot of fettling after they were cut but got there in the end.

I did see a video that showed how to use a router but I feared the tear-out going across the grain so opted for the table saw instead.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Bravo.

I wish I had a fraction of the skill and patience required to produce something like that!
    Enroll at the University of Youtube and you'll soon find you can do it . There are plenty of great channels on there. If I came up across something I couldn't figure out I just watched a few examples and gave it ago on some scrap pieces before doing it for real. As for patience, well, you just do it bit by bit and stop when it's finished :D

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nice work, but all your watches look alike to me!
    I suppose they are all quite similar....

L-R: Seiko SNDA27P1 Quartz Chrono, PRS-18A, Casio MTD-1051, PRS-25 (36mm) and a Casio Ana-digi Altimeter watch.

As I say, there's a Speedbird elsewhere leaving 2 spots free. I'm hoping for a vintage-esque diver and maybe a classic square G-Shock?
    Last edited by Broadsword; 27th October 2021 at 08:30.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
    After many months I've finally finished my latest woodworking project, a home for my humble collection.
    [...]
    Wow, I am seriously impressed. A lovely and functional box. Very well done.

looks awesome - congrats!

Craftsman
    Outstanding!!! Well done

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
    Thanks Kingstepper.

The joints were cut on a table saw - it was a bit of a mess - the blade is 2.5mm wide but I wanted 5mm fingers so it took two passes which meant the jig I made had to be able to hold the wood in two places and allow you to move it along in equal increments to cut the next finger. Took a lot of fettling after they were cut but got there in the end.

I did see a video that showed how to use a router but I feared the tear-out going across the grain so opted for the table saw instead.
    Thanks, plan on having a go myself sometime.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats brilliant!

Master
    I would personally be tempted to swap the white foam (if that's what it is?) for black, but the box itself is fab - well done.

Well done! It's lovely craftsmanship and something unique. It'll be very satisfying opening and closing such a piece knowing you've made it.

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone. It's nice to have your work appreciated and it's nice to have accomplished something I've wanted to do for a while.

Great job! I keep saying I'll have a go at making one - but the significant other keeps using my garage workshop as a storage facility for her junk... I can barely move in there!