closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Outdoor Car Storage - Carcoon etc ...

Outdoor Car Storage - Carcoon etc ...

Folks

Due to a temporary surplus of resto projects, I need to store a classic car outdoors over winter.

It has sentimental rather than high monetary value for my youngest son, who inherited when granddad recently passed away.
    I don't want a cover, I'm looking for an enclosed, humidity controlled space.

I've seen mixed reviews of the outdoor Carcoon, but they appear to be the only option for outdoor storage ?
    Airchamber, coport etc are indoor rated only.

Any real-world experiences or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you !

Grand Master
    I would put it on stands, remove the brake pads, lightly grease the discs, spray WD40 over the suspension parts and stick a tarpaulin over it. All box sections plus the underside should’ve been treated with waxoyl or similar if you’re serious about preserving it so rusting shouldn't be a worry. Spray WD40 on underbonnet items, put a drop of oil down the bores and turn the engine by hand a few times to wet the bores, then put the plugs back in.

I wouldn’t bother with a Carcoon, but I wouldn’t store a car outside for more than 1 winter either.

Craftsman
    There's a video on YouTube where the guy uses a outdoor carcoon, he cuts pieces of bare steel and leaves one inside the carcoon, one outside and one in his garage. The only one not to show rust is the one inside the carcoon.
    Sorry can't find the video to provide a link. But it seemed like a good option to me, I just couldn't live with the ugly thing outside the house, I would just rent storage if its only short term.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I keep one outside in a carport, I don’t cover it up though, to much risk of paint blisters. I do like the idea of an outside carcoon but they are expensive.

Don’t bother. They hold condensation that can cause corrosion. Also very bulk to store when your not storing the car in it.

Outdoor car covers can cause paint blisters.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    I don’t understand why a cover can cause paint blisters, can anyone explain why this happens?

Why not build a light wooden frame to keep the cover from touching the paint?............problem solved. If its put together using nuts and bolts it can be dismantled for easy storage and future use.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don’t understand why a cover can cause paint blisters, can anyone explain why this happens?
    The cover gets dirty over time so it’s less breathable. Then it gets wet and lies heavily against the car paint, potentially for weeks in the winter, trapping water against the paint surface. I had the get a few panels repainted on my GT3 as a result.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Don’t bother. They hold condensation that can cause corrosion. Also very bulk to store when your not storing the car in it.

Outdoor car covers can cause paint blisters.
    I thought the idea of a carcoon was constant air circulation and temperature/humidity stability? How would it hold condensation?

Folks - a number of well intentioned but off-topic comments.

To add some colour, my son suffers from acute OCD, and the car represents a last link to his deceased grandfather, with whom he always had a special connection.
    The issue is not about how to store it, it's about a visual solution which will allow us to maintain a level of calm within the house.

I've been restoring classic vehicles for over 40 years, and can winterize a vehicle without need for tarpaulin or WD40.

My question was specifically about Carcoon, or equivalent products, as that is the only way we will be able to allay his concerns about the well-being of the car.
    He needs to be able to see it, touch it and maintain a connection - that's how OCD works.

So, as per the original question, any practical experiences of the Carcoon Outdoor or close equivalent would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    I thought the idea of a carcoon was constant air circulation and temperature/humidity stability? How would it hold condensation?

They have a couple of fans blowing a bit of air through them. That’s a long way from temperature or humidity control.
    Cars are often slightly wet and warm when covered.
    Inside / outside temperature differences.
    Warm ground vs cold air.
    Non-breathable fabric, especially the heavy duty rubber base.

My observations are not speculative. I had a Carcoon and advise against buying one based on my experience.
    Last edited by andy tims; 26th October 2021 at 22:30.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    If the OP had given the full story when asking the question he would’ve received more constructive replies. Given the need for the son to ‘ see’ the car it sounds like the decision has made itself, if that is the overriding criteria the rest pales into insignificance.

I can’t claim to understand OCD, or any of the syndromes/ spectrums etc that seem commonplace thesedays so I can’t relate to the situation.

Seriously starting to wonder if there’s any point trying to offer advice on any threads, all too often the watch- related ones provide the minimum information instead of giving a fuller picture.

Meanwhile, I’ll store my MGB in a concrete garage that’s 99% watertight and I won't fret about the tiny but annoying leaks in the new roof.

WD40 will be applied as I think fit based on previous experience!

To be fair Paul, the OP asked about outdoor carcoons, he didn’t ask about how to store a car outdoors.

He didn’t need to mention his sons OCD and need to see the vehicle as he’d already identified the Carcoon as a viable option.

OP, I have an indoor bike bubble also made by carcoon and have always found it excellent. The slow airflow allows the internal temperature to change to that of the outside, slowly. This is what prevents condensation. It doesn’t necessarily keep the vehicle dry.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    WD40 will be applied as I think fit based on previous experience!
    Duck oil is better for storing cars and bikes over the winter, then clean it off before use.

Slight left of centre thought - if this is a temporary measure, and you are clearly knowledgeable about car restoration, a Carcoon can be quite pricey - this, however, not so much...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182699825...3ABFBM9tTj5Zhf

May be completely useless for your needs, but it did leap out at me whilst I was looking for a cover for my MGB to protect it from the dust in the garage

On the same lines as Carcoon, but maybe cheaper, was this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255184775...0AAOSwXJlgCqMq

Would this suffice? Might get some condensation but could likely better ventilate it. Looks quite reasonable to me as a temporary solution. Best of luck and all the best to your son.

https://www.justkampers.com/heavy-du...ee=1&fep=28447

Folks

I appreciate all of the supportive comments - the instant garage is too big to fit in the driveway at the side of the house, and the car bubble is indoor only.

I'm going to stick with Carcoon - it is perfectly sized for the vehicle, and is robust with a good warranty.

Having used waxoyl and ACF50 for many years, I switched three years ago to using XCP Rustblocker - this is the best rust treatment T have used in 40 years of fettling.

You can brush it as is, or thin with 10% kero/white spirit and spray with a lance - it consistently wins the industry reviews of rust proofing products.

Good choices I’d say. The best thing about asking these sorts of questions is that it does one of two things - it either gives you information you didn’t already have, or it validates your original plan as being the best one.

Had my 65 mustang in a carcoon last winter. I’d had the car ceramic coated before it went under, kept a tray of cat litter in there and it’s under a car port. It’s a big silver bubble and my daughter calls it the zeppelin - you can’t see the car in it which may be an issue for your son. The Issue I had was it’s quite windy down the street and as a result there was some rubbing to the paint (down to the metal on the fins)

As an aside, I thought I’d put a side in the carport to stop it blowing around so much, seems a neighbour didn’t like it and I’m now having fun with town planning.
    Last edited by Barton Red; 30th October 2021 at 23:00.

Craftsman
    I used an outdoor carcoon ( called the silver sausage ) before i built a triple garage . Its the only thing i would use if push came to shove again . ANY other outdoor car cover causes sweating and micro blisters as well as rubbing no matter what the manufacturers say.
    I used the carcoon for a concourse series 1 rs turbo and an audi Ur quattro with no dramas what so ever over a couple of years . Currently use the veloce indoors in a centrally heated garage . i did cover it as well inside the carcoon .
    Just keep an eye on zips and you will be fine as they are easy to snag
    Last edited by P ELLIS; 31st October 2021 at 11:51.