closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex RSC service pricing (October 2021)

Rolex RSC service pricing (October 2021)

Thought this might be of use for reference

Got three in for service direct to St James's, quoted as below:

116610 Submariner
    Basic service £637.20 (which includes necessary crown replacement £37.20)

168622 Yacht-Master
    Basic service £637.20 (which includes necessary crown replacement £37.20)
    Replacement date disc £74.40

116509 Cosmograph Daytona

Basic service £650.00 (no forced crown replacement)
    Replace bezel (18k) £1,450.80
    Replace 2x pushers (18k) £350.40
    Replace crystal £74.40
    Replace dial and hands £553.20

The Daytona (2007) had strange discolouration appear at the dial edge (although it's never been submerged or opened) which I moaned about, so not sure if the replacement is discounted as seems cheap to me for a dial and full handset. Had a similar situation many years ago, which they discounted on.

Watches were handed to St James's on 13 September, got the email quotes on 6 October. States approximate delivery time 32 working days from quote acceptance. All prices are incl. VAT and on an exchange basis.

That's helpful, thanks. An expensive month coming up for you! I'm interested on the forced crown replacements - just wear and tear? I've only had 1 of my Rolex's serviced, my 16600 after 10 years of occasional wear, and they didn't replace the crown. P.S. No mention of a bulk discount?

It's a lot of money for the two date three handers! Could almost look like they're used to subsidise the chronograph service which I assumed would be substantially more than the three handers.

This is really useful to see, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    That's helpful, thanks. An expensive month coming up for you! I'm interested on the forced crown replacements - just wear and tear? I've only had 1 of my Rolex's serviced, my 16600 after 10 years of occasional wear, and they didn't replace the crown. P.S. No mention of a bulk discount?
    Won't be too bad as gave the replacement bezel and pushers a swerve! A wee bit of WABI is fine.

First services on all three (aged 2007-2010) so really cannot complain, despite no bulk discount

Prices will include a complimentary polish, but if you don’t want your watch polished then there is no reduction in price.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It's a lot of money for the two date three handers! Could almost look like they're used to subsidise the chronograph service which I assumed would be substantially more than the three handers.
    Servicing a chronograph movement takes approx twice as long, lots more parts involved!

Surprised at the quote for a replacement date wheel unless there was a fault with the watch, damage to the teeth is only apparent after stripping the watch down.

Net cost if parts to RSC will be small so it makes sense to replace crowns rather than mess around swapping seals.

All v. expensive IMO, but if you choose to own these watches your options are limited so you’re implicitly signing on to the costs.

Reassuringly expensive?........enjoy the warm feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    All v. expensive IMO, but if you choose to own these watches your options are limited so you’re implicitly signing on to the costs.

Reassuringly expensive?........enjoy the warm feeling!
    Also the warm feeling from contributing to a charity (could count towards your tithe, if that's your thing). (o: [With Rolex, the costs are also dwarfed by the appreciation, for now at least.]

Surprised at the quote for a replacement date wheel unless there was a fault with the watch, damage to the teeth is only apparent after stripping the watch down.
    Quote says "disc scratched" which either happened when first built or, more likely, when it was back for warranty repair not long from new (wasn't charging). Either way I'm not replacing it.

Jocko.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    First services on all three (aged 2007-2010) so really cannot complain, despite no bulk discount
    That’s my reasoning too, 10+ years between service so maybe £60 per year - low cost of ownership.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Jocko, Did you take the watches in personally ... or did you use a courier ... if latter which courier can be trusted with a package of that £value?

EDIT ... just realised they were 'handed in'
    Last edited by sundial; 26th October 2021 at 15:15.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I have always wondered when Rolex want to replace a dial/datewheel that is scratched.

If the original owner who is asking for it to be serviced has never opened the watch, then surely the dial was scratched by Rolex in the first instance before it was sold to the original owner? Surely dials don’t just scratch over time do they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    I have always wondered when Rolex want to replace a dial/datewheel that is scratched.

If the original owner who is asking for it to be serviced has never opened the watch, then surely the dial was scratched by Rolex in the first instance before it was sold to the original owner? Surely dials don’t just scratch over time do they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The dial had some weird patches appear around the edge at a particular area, almost like water spots. They were definitely not there in a 2013 photo but were noticed around 2017, during which time the watch was mostly in a Peli airtight box sitting in a safe. It's very odd, as it's never been opened or in water.

Upside being Rolex will accept changing it to the 'bright blue' dial, which was the alternate scheme for the model year. I find this one getting harder to instantly read as I age!

Grand Master
    Unless the datewheel is fouling on the underside of the dial I`m at a loss to understand how it becomes scratched in normal use. Some quickset date designs can allow the teeth to become marked, but this shouldn't happen with the modern Rolex movements so I`m puzzled as to why the teeth get damaged, theoretically they will wear slightly but it'll take many many years for this to become a problem. Maybe the Rolex service guys can`t be bothered to clean the teeth of the original, it take all of 5 minutes but for obvious reasons the datewheel can`t go in the cleaning machine so this task has to be done by hand.

On a modern watch that hasn`t leaked water the dial shouldn't deteriorate either, dials should last indefinitely. Likewise with hands, although they can distort slightly during removal if it isn`t done v. carefully and occasionally the centre pipe can pull out of a chrono seconds hand.

Unless a watch has been heavily refinished in the past I would always opt to have it refinished by Rolex, it makes the watch look new again and you have paid for it!

Edit: Just seen the dial pictures on the Daytona, v. strange.

Depending on the design, some dials make very light contact with the inside of the case or rehaut ring and this can leave a witness mark. If the movement becomes loose in the case the dial finish can become damaged at this point and can flake, I see this on old watches that have been apart several times and carelessly reassembled but this shouldn't happen on a newish watch that's never been worked on.

Worth asking RSC for an explanation on this, it could be argued that it's related to a manufacturing or initial assembly flaw.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 26th October 2021 at 15:47.

Master
    Thanks for sharing. Keep wondering what the cost would be of sending my 2015 deep-sea in, was chatting to the AD about it today and he basically said if it's running fine, don't bother..

Weirdly, I'd like it polished. I've worn it a lot and it's pretty bashed about, would like it minty fresh again.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post

Weirdly, I'd like it polished. I've worn it a lot and it's pretty bashed about, would like it minty fresh again.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Nothing weird about wanting the watch to look sharp and fresh! I can’t stand scruffy scuffed battered watches, when I used to do refinishing work I took great pride in getting a watch to look as close to new as possible and that’s how I like my own watches to look. Having said that, there’s a limit to the number of times a watch can be subjected to refinishing before it starts to lose sharpness and definition.

The bigger and thicker the watch the more it gets knocked about, refinishing will make a watch look better but deep dings on the edges can’t be totally removed.

Master
    £1450 to swap their gold bezel for your gold bezel? That’s raised an eyebrow here

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    £1450 to swap their gold bezel for your gold bezel? That’s raised an eyebrow here
    Indeed! Must say the minor existing scuffs haven’t bugged me, certainly not worth that chunk of change to fix.

My Submariner is getting zero refinishing, want it to show all its battle scars!

Blog Entries
    On a modern watch that hasn`t leaked water the dial shouldn't deteriorate either, dials should last indefinitely.
    [...]
    Edit: Just seen the dial pictures on the Daytona, v. strange.

Depending on the design, some dials make very light contact with the inside of the case or rehaut ring and this can leave a witness mark. If the movement becomes loose in the case the dial finish can become damaged at this point and can flake, I see this on old watches that have been apart several times and carelessly reassembled but this shouldn't happen on a newish watch that's never been worked on.

Worth asking RSC for an explanation on this, it could be argued that it's related to a manufacturing or initial assembly flaw.
    I am reminded of Land Rovers with anodic-cathodic/galvanic rot between the aluminium body and steel chassis. I have often wondered if either the dial itself or perhaps metallic ingredients in the dial paint might react with the steel case. Or something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I wonder what the non-exchange price would be.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I am reminded of Land Rovers with anodic-cathodic/galvanic rot between the aluminium body and steel chassis. I have often wondered if either the dial itself or perhaps metallic ingredients in the dial paint might react with the steel case. Or something.
    Will still need moisture for that to occur.

Surprised how cheap in comparison to the 3 handers the Daytona service is. There was me moaning at £795 or whatever for a Breguet Type XX service but that looks a bargain vs the cost to service a basic Submariner movement.