closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Rolex madness end ?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Oh yes, A good example of a watch I didn’t like when I first saw it but now tempted.

Where would you rank it ?
    That I have no idea. Just from reading on here how hard to get. Personally for me 36mm is the size best for an OP.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The local AD told me last week the New green submariner is incredibly hard to get, he said similar vols to Daytona. It def needs to be up there at 3 or 4

I usually ignore the Rolex supply threads unless really bored, but out of interest has anyone started the most difficult to acquire league table ?

1. Daytona SS white face
    2. Daytona SS black face
    3. Pepsi
    4. Skydweller Blue
    5. SD DS JC
    6. Submariner
    7. Datejust blue

So, what have I missed and how would you reorder this list?

Where does the Yachtmaster 42 fit?

Master
    I usually ignore the Rolex supply threads unless really bored, but out of interest has anyone started the most difficult to acquire league table ?

1. Daytona SS white face
    2. Daytona SS black face
    3. Pepsi
    4. Skydweller Blue
    5. SD DS JC
    6. Submariner
    7. Datejust blue

1. Daytona white dial.
    2. Daytona black dial.
    3. Daytona green dial. (AKA John Meyer).
    4. Blue skydweller.
    5. Pepsi.
    6. Green steel sub.
    7. BLNR.
    8. Various PM Daytona's - white gold blue face, chocolate/rose gold on rubber etc.
    9. White/black skydweller.
    10. Deep sea blue.
    11. Date sub.
    12. Non date sub.

I've put the green Daytona and various other precious metal Daytona's in there as very few are made, so if you actually want one, they are very rare. I've got the new blue bezel white gold sub and could have put that in there as I only know of 1 other person that's got one.

These lists are subjective as they are all based on an individual's experience.

I've put the green

1. Daytona SS white face
    2. Daytona SS black face
    3. Pepsi
    4. Skydweller Blue
    5. SD DS JC
    6. Submariner
    7. Datejust blue

What a pointless post.
    A list of watches you want but can’t get in order of how difficult you think they are to get.
    How would anyone know anyway? it’s compete speculation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    What a pointless post.
    A list of watches you want but can’t get in order of how difficult you think they are to get.
    Well the list aligns quite well so far with my success in finding what I wanted. It is speculation, but so are most things Rolex supply related.

The surprise for me was the Pepsi which I hadn’t appreciated was so in demand.

A good way to try and work out which are the hardest to obtain would be to compare how much over rrp the grey dealers are asking.

I’d guess the ones with the biggest % difference are the hardest to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    1. Daytona white dial.
    2. Daytona black dial.
    4. Blue skydweller.
    5. Pepsi.
    6. Green steel sub.
    7. BLNR.
    8. Various PM Daytona's - white gold blue face, chocolate/rose gold on rubber etc.
    10. Deep sea blue.
    11. Date sub.
    12. Non date sub.

I've put the green Daytona and various other precious metal Daytona's in there as very few are made, so if you actually want one, they are very rare. I've got the new blue bezel white gold sub and could have put that in there as I only know of 1 other person that's got one.

I've put the green
    I'd go exactly the same although I admit I didn't think about the precious metal lineup, skipped me over completely.

The BLNR is a difficult one to judge - makes sense but at the same time can't believe it's only one below the LVc. Could almost put 1-6 into "Tier 1" and 7-12 in "Tier 2".

Master
    Whilst Covid has led to a large switch in supply and demand, the behaviour of AD's staff certainly exacerbates the problem. Or maybe supply and demand has exacerbated the behaviours of sales staff?!

I walked in to a Rolex AD in London last week to hear a sales person saying that if a watch becomes available he would sell it to the customer he was talking to before his colleagues were even aware that it had arrived in store. He openly said they ignore the waiting lists, it's simply a bun fight between the members of staff as to who can flog the watch to a mate/contact/associate first.

This does seem to explain the experience I have had with Watches of Switzerland Broadgate, who have failed to take my details (even to join the mailing list) on three occasions in recent months.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id put the palm dial Datejust and the turquoise oyster perpetual somewhere in those lists too.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    1. Daytona white dial.
    2. Daytona black dial.
    4. Blue skydweller.
    5. Pepsi.
    6. Green steel sub.
    7. BLNR.
    10. Deep sea blue.
    11. Date sub.
    12. Non date sub.

I've put the green
    Pretty much spot on there I'd say.

Would add/edit a little......just a bit of fun mind.....

1. Daytona S/S white dial.
    2. Daytona S/S black dial.
    3. Daytona Platinum
    4. Daytona YG green dial. (AKA John Meyer).
    5. Blue dial Skydweller on Oyster, then Jubilee.
    6. Oyster Perpetual 41 Turquoise dial
    7. Skydweller all Everose on Oyster
    8. Pepsi GMT on Oyster, then Jubilee.
    9. Green Steel sub 41
    10. BLNR GMT on Oyster, then Jubilee.
    11. Various PM Daytona's - white gold with blue dial, Chocolate, Black or Sundust dial/Everose gold/White Gold on Oysterflex rubber (especially Meteorite dial, same for Everose there) etc.
    12. White/Black Skydweller both on Oyster then Jubilee.
    13. Various PM Professional - Sub 41 White Gold with Blue bezel/GMT White Gold with Blue dial/GMT all Everose with chocolate dial
    14. Deep Sea Blue JC.
    15. Date sub 41.
    16. Non date sub 41.
    17. GMT TT "Rootbeer"
    18. Deep Sea Black dial
    19. Day Dates in White Gold or Everose with Olive dials
    20. YM 42 White Gold

Is the all Rose gold Skydweller really that hard to get? Harder than a Pepsi, or a green Sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Is the all Rose gold Skydweller really that hard to get? Harder than a Pepsi, or a green Sub?
    In my own experience, yes. It's one of the Rolex PM pieces that is POA due the fluctuations in gold costs and it is made (like the Platinum Daytona) in very, very small numbers.

Well that’s disappointing. I’ll have to dream about buying something else when I win the lottery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    I walked in to a Rolex AD in London last week to hear a sales person saying that if a watch becomes available he would sell it to the customer he was talking to before his colleagues were even aware that it had arrived in store. He openly said they ignore the waiting lists,
    Who knows but seems odd in the extreme that store management would allow shop floor staff to grab and sell what they can when a delivery of Rolex watches arrives. You’d assume there would be very strict protocols about who gets to buy what for the reasons discussed on here many times.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Who knows but seems odd in the extreme that store management would allow shop floor staff to grab and sell what they can when a delivery of Rolex watches arrives. You’d assume there would be very strict protocols about who gets to buy what for the reasons discussed on here many times.
    And tbf it could have just been bravado in front of a customer / mate.

Master
    What a pointless post.
    If you think the post is pointless, just read something else and move on. Easy peasy really isn't it.

Craftsman
    A good way to try and work out which are the hardest to obtain would be to compare how much over rrp the grey dealers are asking.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Master

Yellow dial 36mm OP on eBay for £10.5k. I remember thinking £9.5k for a steel Daytona was a bit “out there” 3-4 years ago.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I have to agree with that. Without going into great detail I overheard a conversation on an AD shop floor that basically ended with the potential customer not getting the Rolex that a salesperson thought they could sell from stock. Approval from on high was required, end of.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What a pointless post. A list of watches you want but can’t get in order of how difficult you think they are to get.
    Possibly pointless but entertaining never the less. I've never understood the fascination with Rolex but I've never had an issue with those who do. However, what I'll never understand and it seems as though a documentary could be made about it, is the willingness of Rolex fans to accept that they'll either have to wait a long time for a watch they want or perhaps they'll never actually get it. It's like a child from a hard up family making a Christmas list full of toys that they will probably never get but never the less there's that tiny bit of hope that one day it might happen. Nothing at all wrong with that but surely sometimes it's good to look at alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Rolex has got the strongest brand image in the watch industry. It may not be as good as the really horology makes but its brand image is way up top and that is what sells watches.

Demand exceeds supply and the parts are now restricted and this will make the brand even stronger.

One can never accurately predict the future but right now wearing a Rolex is the best thing to do.
    I agree with your first two comments and I don't think that Rolex have ever had a problem with their brand image, certainly not in my lifetime.

I'm not so sure about your comment about wearing a Rolex being the best thing to do. If your motivation is purely financial then owning a Rolex might be the best thing to do but visibly wearing one certainly opens you up to being a 'target' (it shouldn't but it does) and of course, the aesthetics don't appeal to everyone.

I’m regard to the posts about ‘how do the ADs survive’ how do we know that they aren’t thriving? Even though they would happily sell more, they are selling everything (including some PM models) instantly and it’s obvious they get dozens of most rare models each year (even if they claim they just get one or two). I’d imagine revenue wise they are doing better than when they had plenty of stock but less customers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I agree with your first two comments and I don't think that Rolex have ever had a problem with their brand image, certainly not in my lifetime.

I'm not so sure about your comment about wearing a Rolex being the best thing to do. If your motivation is purely financial then owning a Rolex might be the best thing to do but visibly wearing one certainly opens you up to being a 'target' (it shouldn't but it does) and of course, the aesthetics don't appeal to everyone.
    About five years ago you would have witnessed dozens of requests asking what discounts you could expect from an AD on whatever model.

You would have witnessed loads of postings such as how can I sell my Rolex to pay for a broken down gas boiler.

You would have witnessed requests where you could get your Rolex serviced on the cheap.

Since Rolex have reduced volumes, prices have gone up, they are getting a more affluent customer and the days of using back street repairers due to restrictions on parts are almost gone.

Rolex have turned themselves around and well done to them in restoring their brand image.

Master
    About five years ago you would have witnessed dozens of requests asking what discounts you could expect from an AD on whatever model.

You would have witnessed loads of postings such as how can I sell my Rolex to pay for a broken down gas boiler.

You would have witnessed requests where you could get your Rolex serviced on the cheap.

Since Rolex have reduced volumes, prices have gone up, they are getting a more affluent customer and the days of using back street repairers due to restrictions on parts are almost gone.

Rolex have turned themselves around and well done to them in restoring their brand image.
    By brand image are you talking about some twat taking a pic of his Rolex with the Porsche steering wheel in the background.
    I think brand image is one of the sleeping problems they do have.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I’m regard to the posts about ‘how do the ADs survive’ how do we know that they aren’t thriving?

Watches of Switzerland floated at 270p per share on May 2019. Currently 1,126p.

So ironically you’d have made more money buying WoS shares for a profit than buying a Rolex from them!
    Last edited by David_D; 5th November 2021 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    By brand image are you talking about some twat taking a pic of his Rolex with the Porsche steering wheel in the background.
    Yep I think Mick has it wrong with is view on how the brand image has improved.

Why does Burberry keep coming to mind, every time he mentions it…😀

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I’m regard to the posts about ‘how do the ADs survive’ how do we know that they aren’t thriving? Even though they would happily sell more, they are selling everything (including some PM models) instantly and it’s obvious they get dozens of most rare models each year (even if they claim they just get one or two). I’d imagine revenue wise they are doing better than when they had plenty of stock but less customers.
    Yes, this.

Blog Entries
    Since Rolex have reduced volumes, prices have gone up
    Other than superficially, there is no evidence that they have reduced volumes. It seems instead that demand has massively risen.

If volumes shipped had reduced then Rolex ADs would be having difficulties through reduced sales and that does not appear to be the case. ADs would seem to be selling as much or more than they did before.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Other than superficially, there is no evidence that they have reduced volumes. It seems instead that demand has massively risen.

If volumes shipped had reduced then Rolex ADs would be having difficulties through reduced sales and that does not appear to be the case. ADs would seem to be selling as much or more than they did before.
    True.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Yep I think Mick has it wrong with is view on how the brand image has improved.

Why does Burberry keep coming to mind, every time he mentions it…
    Burberry was exactly who I had in mind.

Burberry was exactly who I had in mind.

What, as an example of a brand that was fashionable and desirable and lost that status very quickly?

Mitch

Master
    Hood

Brand image is not about some idiot who thinks he has made it just because he drives around in a 911 which was probably leased or on some sort of credit deal. It is about the perception of the brand in the mind of the customer. It is an impression that a customer has of the company and its products.

A few years ago, Rolex was not in demand and today it is and that is a true sign that the brand image has strengthened.

Hood

Brand image is not about some idiot who thinks he has made it just because he drives around in a 911 which was probably leased or on some sort of credit deal. It is about the perception of the brand in the mind of the customer. It is an impression that a customer has of the company and its products.

A few years ago, Rolex was not in demand and today it is and that is a true sign that the brand image has strengthened.
    Brand image? The reason why they’re in demand is because people know they can make a very quick and somethings healthy profit out of them, if it wasn’t like this you’d be able to walk in to any AD in the land and pick up what you fancy, a little like you can now with (insert any other makers name)

Hood

Another day on fantasy island.

They have always been in demand (some more than others) - brand image is not what the owner thinks, it's also what everybody else thinks.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 5th November 2021 at 19:47.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Another day on fantasy island.

They have always been in demand (some more than others) - brand image is not what the owner thinks, it's also what everybody else thinks.
    The owner and everyone else are of the same collective.

Five years ago they were so in demand that you could walk in and get a two figure discount without trying. That was not a brand image to boast about.

Today you have to pay a premium over RRP to buy one and that is what brand image is about.

With Burberry at least Angela Ahrendts could buy back the licences which stopped the louts buying the caps.

No idea what Rolex/AP/PP can do to stop the Instagram clowns with the steering wheel pictures. Maybe stop selling to toe rags like Mick P?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Possibly pointless but entertaining never the less. I've never understood the fascination with Rolex but I've never had an issue with those who do. However, what I'll never understand and it seems as though a documentary could be made about it, is the willingness of Rolex fans to accept that they'll either have to wait a long time for a watch they want or perhaps they'll never actually get it. It's like a child from a hard up family making a Christmas list full of toys that they will probably never get but never the less there's that tiny bit of hope that one day it might happen. Nothing at all wrong with that but surely sometimes it's good to look at alternatives?
    Agree with this mostly however a lot of the mainstream alternatives to the most popular sports Rolex models have fatal flaws. e.g the current Seamaster (which I love) has what is IMO an awful bracelet (no taper & dated design).

Value retention and liquidity are also a huge thing for a lot of enthusiasts, its gone too far in that regard but I like the idea that I can buy something, enjoy it for a while and sell it to swap out for something else relatively quickly and without losing loads of money. If I had unlimited £ then this wouldn't be a problem but the reality is I can afford a few luxury pieces at a time yet love swapping and changing and experiencing new watches.

Five years ago they were so in demand that you could walk in and get a two figure discount without trying. That was not a brand image to boast about.

Today you have to pay a premium over RRP to buy one and that is what brand image is about.
    Firstly, 5 years ago you would never get a 2 figure discount, ever, on Sports models.

As regards brand image - that has never been worse than it is now, the chavs have caught on, big time.

You do not pay any premium via an AD, ever.

Are you suggesting that the brave new world is paying over the odds via the grey market - is that progress?

Delusional as ever Mick.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

What you have is a classic bubble. At this point, rather too many people are not buying watches, they are buying what they see as an appreciating asset. However, it's an asset with an impressive downside in servicing costs. A healthy situation would be people loving the watches because they are watches. As an asset class they are only as good as the sentiment and as we have seen in other bubbles, sentiment is a fragile thing.

If I sold watches, that last thing I'd want my brand image to be about is that.

Master
    Firstly, 5 years ago you would never get a 2 figure discount, ever, on Sports models.

As regards brand image - that has never been worse than it is now, the chavs have caught on, big time.

You do not pay any premium via an AD, ever.

Are you suggesting that the brave new world is paying over the odds via the grey market - is that progress?

Delusional as ever Mick.
    You are just arguing for the sake of it.

I bought my first Rolex in 2014 and got a 12% discount on an Explorer. If you scan TRF you will find dozens of instances of people getting 10% plus discounts.

Secondly, the chavs, as you call them, aren't buying Rolex anymore.

Yes the world is paying the market rate at greys and yes that is progress.

You are not delusion but you are certainly not up with the times.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    What you have is a classic bubble. At this point, rather too many people are not buying watches, they are buying what they see as an appreciating asset. However, it's an asset with an impressive downside in servicing costs. A healthy situation would be people loving the watches because they are watches. As an asset class they are only as good as the sentiment and as we have seen in other bubbles, sentiment is a fragile thing.

If I sold watches, that last thing I'd want my brand image to be about is that.
    I believe that Subs and DJs cost about £650 to service. Ten years now seems to the normal cycle and that works out at just over £1 a week. Nothing much to worry about.

As regards about the bursting bubble, bubbles usually burst after a spell of crazy growth. Rolex tends to be a constant upward curve over decades with very few peaks and valleys and that does install a level of confidence.

You are just arguing for the sake of it.

I bought my first Rolex in 2014 and got a 12% discount on an Explorer. If you scan TRF you will find dozens of instances of people getting 10% plus discounts.

Yes the world is paying the market rate at greys and yes that is progress.

You are not delusion but you are certainly not up with the times.
    No I am not Mick - I could accuse you of the same.

I bought my first Rolex (Submariner) in 1980. I have owned around 18 Rolex different watches since then - I now own zero and have no intention of ever owning one again. The discounts I have had over the years were via a couple of close friends with contacts in the trade. Why do you suggest that a discount is a 'dirty discussion'?, it comes up in most walks of life when people are spending decent amounts of money.

The grey market is not market rate - it is what the fools are paying, nothing more.

Answer me this then - why is Fattorini in Harrogate closing after 190 years in the jewellery and watch business who were Rolex dealers for much of that time?. Harrogate has been a prime market for them for years and years.

Not up with the times?

What brands are they buying?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    What brands are they buying?
    Fake Rolex.

Keep posting. I like a good laugh.

Craftsman
    No I am not Mick - I could accuse you of the same.

I bought my first Rolex (Submariner) in 1980. I have owned around 18 Rolex different watches since then - I now own zero and have no intention of ever owning one again. The discounts I have had over the years were via a couple of close friends with contacts in the trade. Why do you suggest that a discount is a 'dirty discussion'?, it comes up in most walks of life when people are spending decent amounts of money.

The grey market is not market rate - it is what the fools are paying, nothing more.

Answer me this then - why is Fattorini in Harrogate closing after 190 years in the jewellery and watch business who were Rolex dealers for much of that time?. Harrogate has been a prime market for them for years and years.

Not up with the times?
    Some good points on both sides in my opinion.

I think there needs to be a realisation that Rolex aren’t necessarily targeting us as WIS as their clients. They’re clearly doing extremely well and IMO they don’t just value the enthusiasts opinions any more than the younger audience when it comes to brand image. The future of their brand sits with the Instagram generation so why would they?

Craftsman
    I was in Nottingham last weekend and as a customer left the Rolex AD a new customer bowled/staggered into the doorman at the open door shouting "Mrs has told me to invest in a Rolly"
    Doorman was extremely polite and waved/walked chap to the front window which had real watches for sale . I thought two things. 1) Door man was superb at getting guy outside shop/door closed and looking at watches 2) It's very sad when the artistry of the watch is not the goal but pure financial gain. I also mused there were some weird left field Rolex out there for sale.
    Last edited by wallyuk; 5th November 2021 at 23:42.

What constantly amuses is people pretending they are some kind of superior and more discerning species than the IG crowd flaunting their Rolexes or being somehow superior to a casual watch wearer/collector. Just because someone finds a tiny old ugly POS more appealing than a shiny new bauble for whatever reasons, it does not make them more discerning or worthy. If that is what floats your boat, more power to you and I would certainly love to hear about it with interest. Just don’t try to tell us that your interest is the hobby is more worthwhile or genuine. That is delusion of the highest order. A hobbyist who makes time and effort to decide what they like and talk about it and wear it with pride and joy without necessarily trying to talk down others who think differently is a true hobbyist and one I would prefer whatever their collecting philosophy might be. A brand image in the mind of the typical old, disgruntled, manky, self righteous snobbish TZ member is not necessarily the true brand image. Rolex wearers are not a homogeneous breed and is disingenuous to paint them with the same brush. If someone buys Rolex for investment and enjoys wearing them while doing so, I would call them misguided. Only because the prices are not always going to go up.
    I wouldn’t pass any judgement on their worthiness.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 6th November 2021 at 03:59.

Craftsman
    Having a coffee the morning after and re-reading my two bottles of beer fuelled post, I rather regret the tone it reads. Everyday is a school day and on here I am very much on the bottom rung of the learning ladder. Rajen - you are spot on. Sometimes ignorance after a beer becomes misguided superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    Having a coffee the morning after and re-reading my two bottles of beer fuelled post, I rather regret the tone it reads. Everyday is a school day and on here I am very much on the bottom rung of the learning ladder. Rajen - you are spot on. Sometimes ignorance after a beer becomes misguided superiority.
    Don’t feel bad. It was hardly directed at you:-). Have a great day.