closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from Sales Corner post Brexit

Craftsman

Buying from Sales Corner post Brexit

I’ve bought many watches from SC down through the years. I haven’t purchased anything from there post Brexit, however there are a few pieces on it now that take my fancy. I’m based in Ireland, does anyone know if buying privately from a member in the UK and sending to an EU country will attract VAT/duties?

Yes of course.

Craftsman
    I posted something to Southern Ireland last month.
    It was only £20.
    I had to fill out a customs form with Parcelforce. Print copies and invoice. Then secure to outside of the parcel.
    Then I took it to the post office. Had to fill out another form there.

The buyer had to pay about £5 customs fees.
    So I guess no minimum limit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    It was only £20.
    I had to fill out a customs form with Parcelforce. Print copies and invoice. Then secure to outside of the parcel.

Very helpful. Thank you.

Ronnie, more importantly is the Supermacs in Gort still there and are the curry chips still delicious?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ronnie, more importantly is the Supermacs in Gort still there and are the curry chips still delicious?
    Actually lol’d at that!!!

I’m pretty sure it’s still there, and the rule of thumb is that they’re only delicious after about 10 pints!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    It was only £20.

If you don't mind me asking what was the value of item?
    Was it declared and was it insured?

Blog Entries
    If you have a a friend in N. Ireland get it posted to them and then have them post to you? I believe there is not trade border from N and S Ireland (still under negotiation). I do stand to be corrected.

Sending direct to an EU country attracts VAT typically collected by the shipper with associated fees that are themselves VATable.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If you have a a friend in N. Ireland get it posted to them and then have them post to you? I believe there is not trade border from N and S Ireland (still under negotiation). I do stand to be corrected.

Sending direct to an EU country attracts VAT typically collected by the shipper with associated fees that are themselves VATable.
    Thanks.

I wasn’t sure what the situation was re a private sale. I’ve gone from buying goods literally every week from stores and suppliers the UK to almost nothing because of Brexit. Looks like SC will be going this way too:(

Master
    I used to be a regular in the SC before the Brexit took place. It was the best sales forum, as it required to build trust. I have to say I miss it.

I sent a watch last month to Ireland from the UK as a result of a wtb on here. Value was declared at £50, postage price via My Hermes was about £13, and the buyer had to pay about £15 in duties/vat/fees on top. I had to print off 3 customs forms and attach them to the outside of the parcel. All in all took about ten days to arrive after me dropping it off at the parcel shop.

Hypothetically if I sold on SC (or more likely WUS) to an EU buyer, took the watch with me to my Milan office and posted from there, am I committing tax fraud?

This is absolutely hypothetical and 100% isn't something I've done but I am considering it as it doesn't appear to cost the UK tax authorities (I am a UK tax resident) anything. It does however sound like it might not be compliant with EU tax laws so I'd be grateful if someone with more knowledge than me on such matters could clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Hypothetically if I sold on SC (or more likely WUS) to an EU buyer, took the watch with me to my Milan office and posted from there, am I committing tax fraud?

This is absolutely hypothetical and 100% isn't something I've done but I am considering it as it doesn't appear to cost the UK tax authorities (I am a UK tax resident) anything. It does however sound like it might not be compliant with EU tax laws so I'd be grateful if someone with more knowledge than me on such matters could clarify.
    It’s costing the Italian tax authorities.

You are exporting the watch to sell. Think tax is payable when you enter the EU.

Master
    Above is correct.

Export Customs declarations are principally for statistical purposes and short of the Export declaration (charged by the Customs Broker) will incur no official taxes.

Import Duties and any other 'local' taxes are payable in the country of destination.

There are other factors such as the Incoterms which place or share risk and responsibility for customs charges in either the buyer's or the seller's favour but essentially the above is correct.

I live in Holland. I bought a strap (nice one value more than gbp 100) from sc in October. I paid import taxes (I think about eur 20) in november. I’m still waiting for the strap to be delivered. Seller and I have tried everything we can think of to expedite it.

I used to buy a fair bit through sc. now it’s expensive and unreliable. It’s easier to get a watch from Asia or the US. Brexit is the only reason this has all gone to pieces and has destroyed sc for me.

I guess it will save me money, if you’re looking for a benefit in the other thread on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what was the value of item?
    Was it declared and was it insured?
    Value of item was £20.
    Declared at £20.
    Insured for £20.

Took just over a week for delivery.
    Would not be delivered until buyer paid customs charge of approx £5-£6

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    I live in Holland. I bought a strap (nice one value more than gbp 100) from sc in October. I paid import taxes (I think about eur 20) in november. I’m still waiting for the strap to be delivered. Seller and I have tried everything we can think of to expedite it.

I used to buy a fair bit through sc. now it’s expensive and unreliable. It’s easier to get a watch from Asia or the US. Brexit is the only reason this has all gone to pieces and has destroyed sc for me.

I guess it will save me money, if you’re looking for a benefit in the other thread on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And I thought Spain was the only problem with this thing!, for us it's expected, as we're some sort of "tax hell", but never expected that from Netherlands...