closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Planet Ocean 39.5mm...what are your thoughts?

Master

Planet Ocean 39.5mm...what are your thoughts?

I have been looking at this watch from afar for some years.

I believe that the black dial with orange markings is very attractive.

I had 4 or so of the 2500 PO's in both 45.5mm & 42mm case size. I wish I kept the black, 42mm bond version. I am now looking into another PO.

I truly don't like display backs on tool watches and though this does provide a view to a wonderful movement, not sure whether it will drive me nuts.

I like medium sized watch for my skinny wrists and the days of 42mm+ watches are over for me. My largest watch is the Pelagos. I find it to be the limit for size. have some queries I hope you could give me your views on

- Is 14mm too thick for its diameter, does it wear larger/bulkier than say a Pelagos or say a 16600 Seadweller?
    - Does the bracelet taper from 19mm at the lugs and do you consider bit to be too thick for its width?
    - What is your experience of the 8800 vs previous 8500 movement?

Any current/previous owners here care to share their thoughts on this watch?

Craftsman
    I tried one at an AD in Antigua a couple of weeks back, having owned its 43.5 mm bigger brother before. It fits much better IMHO. For ref I have a 6.75” wrist.

- The bracelet does taper from the lugs, yes. Looked thin for a couple of minutes but then you get used to it. IMHO it’s perfectly in proportion to the watch head size.
    - Can’t speak to the 8800 v 8500, but having also owned several SMP with the 8800 movement in it’s just what I would expect from Omega: highly accurate, reliable etc. I did wish with the 8800 you get quickset hour hand instead of date, but can’t have everything
    - Did not feel too tall at all. I felt it looked perfectly in proportion
    - Wears as nicely as my 116613LB, but not quite as nicely as my 116622. But then again the 116622 is more of a dress watch in my eyes. Better balanced than my old 116600 Seadweller

I’ll soon be in the market for another PO and I’d happily focus on acquiring the 39.5mm instead of another 43.5mm.
    Last edited by NickGaters; 26th October 2021 at 12:19.

Craftsman
    I’ve been looking at PO’s for nearly a year now as I’ve been trying to find a Chrono, but have tried a few non Chrono’s on over that time. Personally I think the 39.5mm is just a bit small for the PO. I think it suits the 42/43.5mm better.

Master
    It'll wear much smaller than the pelagos. I have a pelagos and a 41.5mm po, and the po seems tiny next to the Tudor so the 39.5 will definitely not be oversized. Thick and heavy, yes, but not over sized.

Blog Entries
    Couple of mm thinner and it would be close to perfect, seemed to be top heavy when I had one.

Master
    Thanks for replies.

What about the 42mm previous model Titanium PO? The blue dial/bezel is very nice too. Shame the end link does not pivot like the new one, which I really like on smaller wrists.

Craftsman
    I’ve had the steel 42mm on bracelet. The male end links make it wear pretty much the same size as the 43.5 with female end links. Maybe even a tad bigger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    I’ve had the steel 42mm on bracelet. The male end links make it wear pretty much the same size as the 43.5 with female end links. Maybe even a tad bigger.
    Yes. I have really, really come to like female end links.

The main question is whether the 39.5mm or 43.5mm would go better on a small 16 inch wrist

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Yes. I have really, really come to like female end links.

The main question is whether the 39.5mm or 43.5mm would go better on a small 16 inch wrist
    A 16 inch wrist sounds quite large to me. A 16cm wrist on the other hand…. Mine is 17cm and I had both the 39.5 and 43mm Planet oceans. The 43 was too big and I moved it on very quickly.

I regret selling the 39.5, it was a great size and much thinner than the 43. I would definitely recommend the 39.5

Blue is the 39.5 and orange is the 43.5 on my 17cm wrist

picture upload websites

And the 39.5 on rubber to better compare with the 43.5 on rubber