closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GWG 2000 New Full Fat Mudmaster

Blog Entries

GWG 2000 New Full Fat Mudmaster

I was looking at You Tube watch vids last night and was surprised to find the GWG-1000 has now been replaced by the imaginatively-named GWG-2000. Differences appear to be limited to style and materials. Evidently it has a Carbon Core Guard which helps to slim it a tad and to make it 13 grams lighter at 106g although it's said that the differently shaped lugs actually make it appear just as large as the 1000 although slightly less tall. I'm hearing that whilst the module number is different, the features are identical to the predecessor. First personal impressions are that the sand-coloured 1A5 model will possibly become the best seller but that I feel, much like the original Seiko Monster appears to be more sought-after than the 'Superior' replacement, this could also become the case with these. Only £39 more expensive than the 1000.

https://g-shock.co.uk/gwg-2000-mudmaster

Last edited by BSB; 26th October 2021 at 17:56.

Craftsman
    Tempted by this one, but I fear it may still be too large on my skinny 6.5" wrist.

Master
    I tried these in the London store a few weeks ago. Thought the sand would be the nicest, but in person it was the black/carbon that appealed most. I really liked them and fancy getting one if I can justify it, having recently bought the new carbon Frogman.

I like a g shock, and I have wrists that could carry this off - but every time I see them I wonder why they’re so popular. I’ve just realised they’re the polar opposite of a 5600 or 6900, in terms of design. They just look too busy and ‘grrrr look how rugged I am’ to my eyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
    I tried these in the London store a few weeks ago. Thought the sand would be the nicest, but in person it was the black/carbon that appealed most. I really liked them and fancy getting one if I can justify it, having recently bought the new carbon Frogman.
    I actually agree with you on the colour personally. I think the sand will be the popular one but I've just ordered a black one. Strange thing to do considering I've always regretted selling a 1000 in the past (I've had three) and that I think the 1000 will become the more sought-after of the two but I guess we all do strange things from time to time.

Master
    Think it's 2mm thinner than the original. Won't be replacing my 1000 with this anytime soon but will no doubt end up with one at some later stage as I love a G Shock.

Craftsman
    Just arrived. Very impressive build quality and functions! Too big?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post

So, having predicted that the sand-coloured 1A5 model would be the most popular, there are now two on the forum that I'm aware of and neither are the 1A5.

After a few days on the wrist, I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised. The 1000 is a fantastic watch but the upgrades are all very pleasing. Very glad I ended up going for the 1A1 model. I think this particular 'colourway' (get me, sounding like I'm 'down with the kids') suits me better than would the sand model. The strap feels slightly more supple than before. I love the carbon-fibre details. Functionality is identical to the 1000 so very easy to set up for someone who's previously had one (or three). This one is definitely a keeper - well, until around five years from now when they inevitably launch the GWG-3000 at least.

Last edited by BSB; 3rd November 2021 at 10:36.

Grand Master
    I will throw a spanner into the works, I just cannot see the appeal of any G-Shock .. they have their place, but not on my wrist.
    /vince ..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceR View Post
    I will throw a spanner into the works, I just cannot see the appeal of any G-Shock .. they have their place, but not on my wrist.
    I don't see this as any spanner but simply your opinion which is as valid as anyone's. I won't ever try to convince anyone otherwise. I must admit that when I first came to TZ, I also couldn't see the appeal of any of them either. That's until I decided I wanted a 'rufty-tufty' watch a few year's ago and bought a GW3000 that had been advertised on here. I've only ever had one or two at a time but I am now on my 12th having fully embraced the ideology of them. As you say, they have their place.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    I don't see this as any spanner but simply your opinion which is as valid as anyone's. I won't ever try to convince anyone otherwise. I must admit that when I first came to TZ, I also couldn't see the appeal of any of them either. That's until I decided I wanted a 'rufty-tufty' watch a few year's ago and bought a GW3000 that had been advertised on here. I've only ever had one or two at a time but I am now on my 12th having fully embraced the ideology of them. As you say, they have their place.
    Cheers. Agree, I have tried some, but just don't do it for me. Mind you I have tried other brands I thought I did not like:

Rolex, firstly a Date, then a DJ (which I never wore), but they lasted only a few weeks. Then bought a 5513 (back in the days when they were affordable), but lost it within a few hours. (No clue how, insurance would not pay up, but such is life). Then bought a 14060M, but got bored with it after a few months and traded it for a PAM111. Sold that as well, but miss that watch, although oddly I don't miss the sub. So would probably never buy another Rolex (although I'd never get on a waiting list, lol).

Was never a fan of Breitling, until trying one, now I still have 2 and they're my longest serving watches (>15 years) ..

There are many other watches that I am not a fan of, anything dressy (I wear shorts and t shirts all year round - never owned a suite, a long sleeve shirt or a tie) but have tried several dressy watches at GTG (although not been to any of those in many years) and a few minutes on my wrist was long enough.
    /vince ..

Blog Entries
    Then bought a 5513 (back in the days when they were affordable), but lost it within a few hours. (No clue how, insurance would not pay up, but such is life).
    !!!

Master
    I hope you find your 5513 down the back of the sofa one day, Vince.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I hope you find your 5513 down the back of the sofa one day, Vince.
    Now that would be a find! And worth considerably more than when it was lost - which would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    Just arrived. Very impressive build quality and functions! Too big?

That looks very nice. Yes it’s big but that’s the look. I guess you don’t buy one of these expecting it to be a shrinking violet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    If only, but the 5513 is long long gone .. it arrived in the post, I put it on. Drove to my town centre, parked up, looked at the time. Walked into the town, a short while later I looked at the time, only to find a bare wrist .. have no clue to this day, where the watch went or how it fell off my wrist .. or even if would have kept it much longer :) that was over 15 years ago ..
    /vince ..

Blog Entries
    If only, but the 5513 is long long gone .. it arrived in the post, I put it on. Drove to my town centre, parked up, looked at the time. Walked into the town, a short while later I looked at the time, only to find a bare wrist .. have no clue to this day, where the watch went or how it fell off my wrist .. or even if would have kept it much longer :) that was over 15 years ago ..
    That's awful.

I should add that this has almost happened to me on a couple of occasions. Luckily I noticed that my watch had come loose and stopped it falling off my wrist each time. Both times that I recall were failing straps.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 3rd November 2021 at 23:49.

Wow, I feel for you! You're taking it much better than I would * - good on you (it's only a thing after all). I take it there were no Polish ladies with clipboards giving you hugs on that day, that you remember?!

* I still flinch at the low price I sold my SDc for (days before it was discontinued) and also the extra I paid for my current house (I'm sure I overpaid by £50k).

Not different enough to spend 700 on one VS 300 on a mint used 1000 model unless you really need a warranty.
    £400 odd spare will get you another couple of decent gshock as well.
    Will be worth it when on a decent sale price though which will happen i imagine.

The 1000 does not have the carbon core but if you look at a video o a 1000 being taken to bits you can see how well made and tough they made it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Not different enough to spend 700 on one VS 300 on a mint used 1000 model unless you really need a warranty.
    £400 odd spare will get you another couple of decent gshock as well.
    Will be worth it when on a decent sale price though which will happen i imagine.

The 1000 does not have the carbon core but if you look at a video o a 1000 being taken to bits you can see how well made and tough they made it.
    The 1000s are fantastic watches, David. I always used to regret selling them and ended up returning to them as the 'G' of choice but I have to say, with 10% off the price simply for signing up to their newsletter, I'm very happy I made the switch. I like the new colour combinations. Most of the differences are aesthetic or in the feel of the watch on the wrist. Perhaps not a logical switch but then again, how many of the things we do as watch collectors are logical?