closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: F@#$ing Pop-Up Adverts

F@#$ing Pop-Up Adverts

I enjoy my morning Forum browse, but the incessant pop-up ads which now take 75% of my screen are killing it.

I'm a technophobe and have no idea how to rid them from my Samsung phone screen.

Help please...

I run "Free Ad Blocker Browser" on Android. Works a treat.

None at all on Tapatalk. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I haven't tried it on the PC, but solves the pop up problems completely on the phone.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Master
    TZ-UK needs to get its act together on pop ups. Pop ups make money for the forum and without adverts the forum would probably die. However when the pop ups take over the screen, it makes you come here less and then the forum makes less money.

If everyone used an Adblocker, the forum would get zero income, so there needs to be a balancing act.

One of the weird things about pop ups is that you can bet your bottom dollar that all the high volume regulars who almost live here must use Adblockers just to keep their sanity, so the high users probably pay nothing towards the running costs.

Must resist...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    TZ-UK needs to get its act together on pop ups. Pop ups make money for the forum and without adverts the forum would probably die. However when the pop ups take over the screen, it makes you come here less and then the forum makes less money.

If everyone used an Adblocker, the forum would get zero income, so there needs to be a balancing act.

One of the weird things about pop ups is that you can bet your bottom dollar that all the high volume regulars who almost live here must use Adblockers just to keep their sanity, so the high users probably pay nothing towards the running costs.
    😂
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

There have always been retailers who host a forum as a means to showcase and sell their products. Call it an advertising budget.

Sure, some may have jumped on the 'pop-ups bandwagon, but many still see it for what it is - cheap advertising.

Master
    I've recently had a bit of a shake up from using chrome
    I've changed to using the 'Brave' browser with the cryptospam turned off in the settings and bitwarden as a password manager across all my devices (windows and iOS). I am now utterly ad free.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I've recently had a bit of a shake up from using chrome
    I've changed to using the 'Brave' browser with the cryptospam turned off in the settings and bitwarden as a password manager across all my devices (windows and iOS). I am now utterly ad free.
    Bitwarden is excellent, although it doesn't help with ads of course. Brave is useful as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I must say that at least half the time, this happens to me. I find if I exit the page and go back, it disappears.

Blog Entries
    I use a Mac and don't have any problems. Perhaps it's a Windows thing?

ive used ublock origin on firefox for years- i never see any pop ups.
    its already been said, as far as im concerned an online presence is part of the cost of doing business these days.

Craftsman
    Install Kiwi browser on your phone. Kiwi allows you to install chrome extensions. Install Ublock Origin to block ads. Ublock is worth learning about, https://www.maketecheasier.com/ultim...erusers-guide/. If you like reading news sites may be worth googling "Bypass Paywalls Clean".

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I use a Mac and don't have any problems. Perhaps it's a Windows thing?
    I mainly browse on an iPhone, I have stated getting pop ups that cover the first post in a thread in addition to the one that covers half of it already. Annoyingly there is no way of closing it making the thread unreadable unless the initial post is quoted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I mainly browse on an iPhone, I have stated getting pop ups that cover the first post in a thread in addition to the one that covers half of it already. Annoyingly there is no way of closing it making the thread unreadable unless the initial post is quoted.
    Strange, doesn’t happen on my iPhone. Just get a little ad bar at the bottom of the screen.

I also use Brave with adblocker. Never had a problem. But, has anyone ever bought anything advertised on internet. I haven't. Anything that ever thought useful I ch3cked around and foound same item cheaper elsewhere. Still never bought them though.

I use Tapatalk premium on an iPhone and have not seen an ad for years, don’t really get pop ups either on my MacBook or iMac but then I use an ad blocker through a chrome extension..

Master
    Anyone got a solution for iPad & iPhone the random videos have to go!

Just a note to say that you want uBlock Origin (https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock) and not uBlock (https://ublock . org/)
    Last edited by hogthrob; 29th October 2021 at 13:52.

Grand Master
    I never cease to be amazed by the amount of ‘Bored lonely women’ there are in my area! I have a pile of ironing they could be working through.
    RIAC

AdGuard dns works well on Wi-Fi

From the home screen, tap Settings.
    Choose Wi-Fi in the left menu (it is impossible to configure DNS for mobile networks).
    Tap on the name of the currently active network.
    In the DNS field enter our DNS addresses:
    IPv4

That’s for iOS btw.

There’s an Android way that works on cellular too
    Last edited by acg; 30th October 2021 at 08:28.

F@#$ing Pop-Up Adverts

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Give Blokada a try. It’s a system dns so blocks across all apps not just browsers. It’s open source and free.

I use it on my iPhone and iPad and it works really well. I like the Flipboard app for reading news but without an add blocker it’s a complete nightmare.

Cheers, Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I never cease to be amazed by the amount of ‘Bored lonely women’ there are in my area! I have a pile of ironing they could be working through.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Don't they say, the adverts you see, are a reflection on your browsing preferences and habits....

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Don't they say, the adverts you see, are a reflection on your browsing preferences and habits....
    Outrageous I have never googled Ironing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Blog Entries

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Craftsman
    I find Tapatalk absolutely fine, apart from the lack of apostrophes! There are plenty of ads but they don’t ruin the browsing experience.

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F@#$ing Pop-Up Adverts

Any suggestions for an adblocker I can use in Safari on a MacBook?
    Preferably in dummy language as I’m a techidiot

Blog Entries
    Are you viewing in ‘Full site’ or ‘default mobile’ views? I view it in ‘default mobile’ view when on an IPhone and don’t see any.

Master
    Having tried a few (which seem to have differing blocking effects) I now use Adguard on iOS. It has the added benefit as there is a way of blocking Youtube ads if you use the browser rather than the app.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Having tried a few (which seem to have differing blocking effects) I now use Adguard on iOS. It has the added benefit as there is a way of blocking Youtube ads if you use the browser rather than the app.
    I downloaded Adguard for Safari today and not seen any pop-ups yet on my MacBook. Happy days! Separately I have for months had an unusual glitch where I can't click on the top two threads of any forum. If they interest me I have to wait for them to drop to third or further (or get the phone out to click on them)