closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Another EBay scam

  1. #1
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,599

    Another EBay scam

    Really confused with this one.

    Sold something on EBay to a buyer in the US using the Global Shipping Programme. Listing ended on Friday and the buyer paid Saturday morning with the funds being directed to the Managed Payments System. Value circa £500.00.

    Usually I’d post the same day but being Saturday, I knew the item wouldn’t land at the Ebays processing HQ until Tuesday irrespective of whether I sent on the Saturday or posted Monday morning en route to work.

    Receive an email from EBay this evening directing me to address a payment dispute. Logged in to EBay and sure enough my buyer has raised an “item not received” chargeback request with their card issuer on Saturday. My funds are subsequently on hold and my options are to 1. accept the dispute and refund the buyer or 2. challenge the dispute and provide a proof of delivery.

    All a bit strange. Not sure how I’m expected to get the buyer their item from the UK to the US on the same day. Likewise shocked that the buyers payment provider would entertain raising the chargeback request for information given they only placed the order that day.

    At a loss. Has the buyer had a change of heart and is possibly using a chargeback as their get out? Alternative is it’s some form of scam but boy they lack any patience. Surely you wouldn’t raise an issue the same day..........

    I would have a valid proof of delivery as the item is going to Ebays Shipping Centre so would expect Sellers Protection as they facilitate the onward Shipping to the buyers US address, but I’m not going to risk the headache. I will be speaking to EBay tomorrow and will accept the dispute and refund. Having read a few articles on the Managed Payments, it seems the chargeback dispute route is open to all kinds of abuse and if you challenge and lose, EBay kindly charge you £14.00 plus vat. Nice.

    Wondering if anyone has come across anything similar?

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Nottingham, UK.
    Posts
    565
    Seems like a scam to me.
    Perhaps hoping you had already posted the item and they would get to keep the item and get their money back.

  3. #3
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,643
    Seems odd that eBay is allowing an 'item not received' case to be opened within the delivery window. Very odd behaviour by the buyer, presumably changed their mind or perhaps a fraudster paid for the item using another person's account and they've noticed it quickly and disputed? I'd assume if it was a scam attempt they'd at least wait for you to dispatch it first.

    Have you dropped them a message to ask what's going on? Defo worth a chat with eBay on this one too, I'd just be seeking to unravel that transaction as it sounds like any other course will be a headache.

  4. #4
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    13,538
    If you’d already posted it to the GSP and input the tracking number in the listing, I think eBay would side with you and argue the case with the credit card company.

    I also think that the credit card company would find against their customer and possibly take action against them.

  5. #5
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,599
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Seems odd that eBay is allowing an 'item not received' case to be opened within the delivery window. Very odd behaviour by the buyer, presumably changed their mind or perhaps a fraudster paid for the item using another person's account and they've noticed it quickly and disputed? I'd assume if it was a scam attempt they'd at least wait for you to dispatch it first.

    Have you dropped them a message to ask what's going on? Defo worth a chat with eBay on this one too, I'd just be seeking to unravel that transaction as it sounds like any other course will be a headache.
    The buyers payment provider is the one who has initiated the chargeback outside of EBay. As you rightly say, Ebays own system would not have allowed an item not received case for 21 days. Agree, very odd.

    i will send the buyer a message now. Didn’t want to engage with them before speaking with eBay, but I’m curious as to their reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If you’d already posted it to the GSP and input the tracking number in the listing, I think eBay would side with you and argue the case with the credit card company.

    I also think that the credit card company would find against their customer and possibly take action against them.
    Thanks Dave. I did think this would have been the case and I would at least have grounds to challenge.

  6. #6
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,127
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    The buyers payment provider is the one who has initiated the chargeback outside of EBay.
    Sounds most likely that the buyer simply had a change of heart and thought that a chargeback was the most effective and certain way of getting their money back.

    A good chance, perhaps, that they didn't realise it was coming from outside the USA.

  7. #7
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,599
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Sounds most likely that the buyer simply had a change of heart and thought that a chargeback was the most effective and certain way of getting their money back.

    A good chance, perhaps, that they didn't realise it was coming from outside the USA.
    Agree Mark. Here is the buyers response:

    Hello.
    I received no acknowledgment that the payment was received. Or, a thank you. My experience buying on ebay tells me these are signs the seller is dissatisfied with the winning bid. I'm just saving us both time and hassle.

    An absolute plonker. Spurious reasoning to say the least. Hope EBay flag his account to watch for this type of behaviour going forward.

  8. #8
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,127
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Hello.
    I received no acknowledgment that the payment was received. Or, a thank you. My experience buying on ebay tells me these are signs the seller is dissatisfied with the winning bid. I'm just saving us both time and hassle.
    Hah! He's skilled at making excuses, it seems.

  9. #9
    Master RLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,599
    Spoke with EBay and they are equally unimpressed. The customer services agent labelled the buyer an “ass” and “disgusting” (rather strong but comical) and have flagged the account for investigation without any prompting. I’m likely to get hit with the chargeback fee of £14.00 but EBay confirmed this would be refunded.

  10. #10
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    23,127
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Spoke with EBay and they are equally unimpressed. The customer services agent labelled the buyer an “ass” and “disgusting” (rather strong but comical) and have flagged the account for investigation without any prompting. I’m likely to get hit with the chargeback fee of £14.00 but EBay confirmed this would be refunded.
    Excellent! Good result.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information