closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Portbury Car docks

Portbury Car docks

Coming back from a short stay in Cornwall today I traveled past Portbury docks on the M5, if there was ever a pic that tells you what’s happening to the new car market this is it.
    Normally this is brimming with vehicles as far as the eye can see but there is literally not one car in any car park

Weird times!

The same at Avonmouth last week. Looked to be only a handful of fiat 500s

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    The true reality is that most cars are still ok when 20 years old because the quality and reliability is still good . We don't need to keep buying new cars like we used to. So be grateful we are importing less of the things and if you want one, buy a UK manufactured car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    ... if you want one, buy a UK manufactured car.
    That's the Bear Pit for that comment methinks...

z

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Coming back from a short stay in Cornwall today I traveled past Portbury docks on the M5, if there was ever a pic that tells you what’s happening to the new car market this is it.
    Normally this is brimming with vehicles as far as the eye can see but there is literally not one car in any car park

Weird times!
    I've driven over that bridge literally thousands of times and never seen it like that!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    That's the Bear Pit for that comment methinks...

z
    Why? Mick is allowed to post elsewhere you know and that just sounded like common sense to me. Consume less, minimise product miles, feed money back in to the local economy. Where's the politics in that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Consume less, minimise product miles, feed money back in to the local economy. Where's the politics in that?
    Whilst this may be true ( at first glance )

... if you want one, buy a UK manufactured car.
    It is also impractical - as there are few remaining UK car manufacturers

Unless we all drive around in a Lotus or Noble 2 seater supercar...

...& also has a whiff of Brexit to me...

If you disagree - then hit the BP...

z

Portbury Car docks

Ha, I live not far from this junction and it’s not often that car park is empty, I also went over today but didn’t notice the lack of new cars/vans.

There is another newer big car park at the top of Junction 19, that is also full most of the time, I’ll have to look next time I drive past..

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Whilst this may be true ( at first glance )

It is also impractical - as there are few remaining UK car manufacturers

Unless we all drive around in a Lotus or Noble 2 seater supercar...

...& also has a whiff of Brexit to me...

If you disagree - then hit the BP...

z
    https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/what-...uced-in-the-uk

Still a few, some affordable.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I took micks comment as UK manufactured rather than UK owned but I may be wrong?
    Anyway it’s a moot point surely as the issue is relating to semiconductors which is affecting all manufactures not just UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The true reality is that most cars are still ok when 20 years old because the quality and reliability is still good . We don't need to keep buying new cars like we used to. So be grateful we are importing less of the things and if you want one, buy a UK manufactured car.
    If you are quick you may be able to buy a new uk built Honda before they close the factory and put all the workforce on the dole

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    If you are quick you may be able to buy a new uk built Honda before they close the factory and put all the workforce on the dole
    The horse as well and truly bolted there seeing as that’s already happened

Just passed them a couple of hours ago on the way to Somerset. Still absolutely empty.

But it wasn't British manufacturers who raised the bar in car reliability and comfort, it was the Japanese and Germans, who may have manufactured here but under their standards, not BL's or Rover's, or Vauxhall's.

You can buy Teslas with fast delivery and good for the environment as well

But you have to give money to that knob Elon Musk...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

So be grateful we are importing less of the things and if you want one, buy a UK manufactured car.
    Which would you suggest?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    My main point is that you don't need to replace your car every couple of years anymore because todays cars are so good that they will give 20 years of reliable service. Therefore if your car is say 5 years old, why not keep it for another 15 years. That way we would cut car production down and Toyota and Nissan would probably provide a high percentage of our needs.

If your urge to renew is great, then so be it but please do not ever moan about climate change because constant over purchase of goods must be a contributing factor.

I have a conscience about my own level of over purchase and am making an effort to reduce it. The one thing I want to get out of is buying stuff for no good reason.

If you think that is something to make snide comments about with daft pics etc, then be my guest.

Master
    My main point is that you don't need to replace your car every couple of years anymore because todays cars are so good that they will give 20 years of reliable service. Therefore if your car is say 5 years old, why not keep it for another 15 years. That way we would cut car production down and Toyota and Nissan would probably provide a high percentage of our needs.

If your urge to renew is great, then so be it but please do not ever moan about climate change because constant over purchase of goods must be a contributing factor.

I have a conscience about my own level of over purchase and am making an effort to reduce it. The one thing I want to get out of is buying stuff for no good reason.

If you think that is something to make snide comments about with daft pics etc, then be my guest.
    Out of curiosity Mick, how old is your newest car? (if you have more than one)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Out of curiosity Mick, how old is your newest car? (if you have more than one)
    Honda Civic was purchased in 2015 in the UK and in Spain I bought a Hyundai IX20 in 2016. Both are still in excellent condition, so why change them.

I agree, but I suspect the problem is that many new car buyers are on PCP deals and can't afford to buy the car at the end of the term...so they keep renewing them

You would need to define UK manufactured, all cars assembled in the UK are made from kits of imported parts, if the car makers published the actual UK content people who thought that they were buying British would be horrified. This would be easy to do as manufacturing location for every component for every car is logged in IMDS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...al_Data_System

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    The same at Avonmouth last week. Looked to be only a handful of fiat 500s

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    They’ve been there months! Must be a tough sell 🤣

I don’t fully understand the bit about climate change. If I bought a vehicle 20 years ago the vehicle would be equipped with the latest tech of the day to reduce the emissions to what was acceptable back then. Of course you do realise that a lot newer vehicle would have far less impact on the environment than something that was made 20 years ago. I fully take your point about unnecessary purchases but don’t dress it up as saving the environment because i think we both know that’s rubbish if we’re talking about cars

Master
    I don’t fully understand the bit about climate change. If I bought a vehicle 20 years ago the vehicle would be equipped with the latest tech of the day to reduce the emissions to what was acceptable back then. Of course you do realise that a lot newer vehicle would have far less impact on the environment than something that was made 20 years ago. I fully take your point about unnecessary purchases but don’t dress it up as saving the environment because i think we both know that’s rubbish if we’re talking about cars

There is the embedded carbon in the manufacturing process, which increases with the size of the car. Keeping a car for longer is better for the environment. Having a smaller car is better. Having an EV is better.

If you make a car last to 200,000 miles rather than 100,000, then the emissions for each mile the car does in its lifetime may drop by as much as 50%,

Master

Portbury Car docks

I’m confused, you have two home in two countries and travel between them?

Surely the ‘over purchase’ is having two of nearly everything!!! So in reality, your level of conscience would likely be one of the lowest on TZ going by your own standards?

The problem with climate change/sustainability/the environment is that governments don't really care, no one has forced Coca Cola to stop using disposable plastic bottles or nappy suppliers to stop making disposable nappies, or Amazon flogging us stuff we don't really need, or Apple punting out phones with built in obsolescence, or car manufacturers making cars we don't need, it's all about business and profit

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You can buy Teslas with fast delivery and good for the environment as well
    Apart from the huge amount of energy from making steel, tyres, paint etc. etc. and rare earth materials required to make a Tesla and its batteries.

Plus all the energy required to manufacturer the solar panels, wind turbines, substations, copper cables etc etc.

I get the point about Tesla’s not burning fossil fuels <which they are at the moment since the U.K. is burning coal to generate electricity>, but on a well to wheel basis they are still not kind to the environment

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’m confused, you have two home in two countries and travel between them?

Surely the ‘over purchase’ is having two of nearly everything!!! So in reality, your level of conscience would likely be one of the lowest on TZ going by your own standards?
    Yes but I only use the stuff half of the time so the wear and tear is only 50% of the norm. Therefore it will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Apart from the huge amount of energy from making steel, tyres, paint etc. etc. and rare earth materials required to make a Tesla and its batteries.

Plus all the energy required to manufacturer the solar panels, wind turbines, substations, copper cables etc etc.

I get the point about Tesla’s not burning fossil fuels <which they are at the moment since the U.K. is burning coal to generate electricity>, but on a well to wheel basis they are still not kind to the environment
    This is pretty much how I see it. That and the fact (I'm generalising obviously) that I see Tesla owners being the same kind of people who change their iPhone as soon as the newer model comes out so they can be the best. Still maybe that will push the prices down to real world affordability for most.

Master
    Yes but I only use the stuff half of the time so the wear and tear is only 50% of the norm. Therefore it will last longer.
    Are you kidding me, do you realise how much carbon it takes to make it in the first place, including the second house?

I’ve got no issues with it, enjoy your life, but having 2 homes and thinking you’re environmentally aware is not compatible. You’re living the dream but at least own it. Otherwise it really does reflect poorly on you.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    There is the embedded carbon in the manufacturing process, which increases with the size of the car. Keeping a car for longer is better for the environment. Having a smaller car is better. Having an EV is better.

If you make a car last to 200,000 miles rather than 100,000, then the emissions for each mile the car does in its lifetime may drop by as much as 50%,
    That report was from 2010, since then manufacturing techniques have changed somewhat, most “claim” now that they’re carbon neutral and CO2 is offset in other ways. Whether you believe that or not is another matter but I’m looking at it has a pure pollution issue.
    Take a car manufactured back in 2005, the maker back then would have given little thought to the impact on the environment when that car was being produced, we were still in the realms of EU3 and going in to EU4 in 2005 depending on date. Now the latest standards are EU6(d) which are 5 times less NOX than 16 years ago.
    That also isn’t taking in to account the normal degradation that happens to all engines as the years role on. How many times have you been driving down the motorway following something spewing out clouds of smoke at every press of the accelerator or when the turbo cuts in?
    If we are talking about environmental issues ( and direct impact to health ) I can’t believe that keeping a 20 plus year old car on the road is better than purchasing a new vehicle especially if we’re talking petrol / hyrbrid.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 26th October 2021 at 18:05.

Master

Portbury Car docks

That report was from 2010, since then manufacturing techniques have changed somewhat, most “claim” now that they’re carbon neutral and CO2 is offset in other ways. Whether you believe that or not is another matter but I’m looking at it has a pure pollution issue.
    Take a car manufactured back in 2005, the maker back then would have given little thought to the impact on the environment when that car was being produced, we were still in the realms of EU3 and going in to EU4 in 2005 depending on date. Now the latest standards are EU6(d) which are 5 times less NOX than 16 years ago.
    That also isn’t taking in to account the normal degradation that happens to all engines as the years role on. How many times have you been driving down the motorway following something spewing out clouds of smoke at every press of the accelerator or when the turbo cuts in?
    If we are talking about environmental issues ( and direct impact to health ) I can’t believe that keeping a 20 plus year old car on the road is better than purchasing a new vehicle especially if we’re talking petrol / hyrbrid.
    What about a 20 year fiesta, still l got to be doing 30mpg. Not that much more carbon produced compared to a modern fiesta?

Slightly more up to date https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas...reen-think/amp

I don’t know what the answers are but it certainly seems they aren’t black and white and there doesn’t seem to be an easy one.

Last edited by Rodder; 26th October 2021 at 18:14.