closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dornblueth dial options

Dornblueth dial options

Can I have a TZ perspective on silver plated brass or ceramic dial?

I’m thinking of selling a couple of lesser worn watches for a Dornblueth 99.1 M. I would want black arabics and indices on a white / silver dial

The base option is silver on brass, and appliqués are an extra €210. There is an engraved option which looks interesting, although it’s €1000 for silver on brass and €1200 for ceramic, ex vat

I’m hedging towards silver on brass, as it’s quite traditional, but matt white ceramic is an interesting alternative. I’ve attached a couple of pictures.

Silver on brass engraved

Ceramic engraved

Thanks

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ceramic engraved looks terrific .

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Of the 2 I prefer the silver on brass.

I like the Matt/mottled finish, a little more interesting than the flat shiny ceramic.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

FWIW I prefer the (more interesting) matt silver over the (monotonous and dull) white ceramic.

It's all subjective of course but when I tire of having numerous watches they are all going bar the CWC RN and the Datejust to be replaced by a Dornbluth, and that will have the matt silver dial with the blue applied markers. That said, the silver on brass engraved dial in your picture looks very, very nice indeed.
    F.T.F.A.

I've been toying with idea of one of these and spent a few (too many) hours deliberating dial options. I've decided on the non-ceramic silvered option but with the applied blued markers...gives the dial a bit more depth I think.
    Having said that, I haven't actually handled one of these and I think I need to before commiting.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    I've been toying with idea of one of these and spent a few (too many) hours deliberating dial options. I've decided on the non-ceramic silvered option but with the applied blued markers...gives the dial a bit more depth I think.
    Having said that, I haven't actually handled one of these and I think I need to before commiting.

Appliqués are an easy choice over printed, but I do like the engraved. There must be some work hours in it, as it is engraved and filled with paint by hand.

Handling is the issue. The 99.1 M is 50mm lug to lug, but my BR03 is that, and my Aerospace is 51.5, so it should be OK. Ordering unseen is a bit of a risk

Dave

Dornblueth dial options

Engraving or an ceramic option was not available when I ordered my 99.4. However, even if they were I would have still gone for the Silver in Brass with blue appliqués. Catches the light lovely and gives it a kind of life. I would worry that the ceramic is just always dull!

Master
    I think I'd be in the silver rather than enamel camp too. Last weekend I went to look at some Tourby models and compared their enamel and silvered dials. On the one hand the enamel was clean and very sharp but, on the other, a little stark and a touch monotonous as it didn't really change too much under different lighting conditions / angles. The silvered dial felt like it would be more interesting to look at over a longer period.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Engraved for me

helidoc...I'm under no illusions that there is a huge amount of skill and craftsmanship involved in producing the engraved/filled dials. I'd just worry there would a 'flatness' to its look.

Paw3001's last picture with the blued applied markers is just perfect to my eyes. Elegant and classic looking - just so right.

Hoping to get across to Europe in the m/home next year COVID permitting, so before buying blind, I'll make a point of visiting Dirk and his team to see what's what.

I’m sure this has been posted before, but this Watchfinder video shows the silver dial with engraving

https://youtu.be/moPHxraLIyA

Dave

Craftsman
    Engraved...very traditional... Mine is due Middle Nov... early Xmas here!!

Apprentice
    Before getting mine, I definitely underestimated how good the engravings would look. For that reason alone I'd always recommend silvered brass or ceramic, and with engraved parts rather than applied.

I went for polished ceramic, so I can't speak much about silvered brass or grained ceramic.
    I did however have the chance to try out a silver brass dial sample before making an order, and wasn't really sold. It's very subtle, and wasn't the effect I was going for personally.

Maybe try to write them and get samples sent? I did that, and having a few dials to see live really helped with my decision.

Edit: just wanna elaborate that I think the silver brass option is gorgeous as well, I was just sold on polished ceramic, so that was the look I was personally going for.
    Last edited by En_nissen; 22nd October 2021 at 17:10.

Pre-Covid I got a chance to see the watches close up as Dornbluth came to London for an Independent watch fair and they are really beautiful watches.

As watch fairs start to return there may be opportunities to see them up close and compare the different finishes.

Dornblueth dial options

Had printed numerals on my 04.0

Replaced them with applied

Not sure which I prefer. The font and size of the printed numbers is more suited to the watch style but the popping blue of the applied numerals is amazing (as per earlier photos above).

Don’t know if that answers your question at all but I love these photos.

Last edited by bmpf; 22nd October 2021 at 17:32.

I’m definitely a fan of the traditional silvered brass. It’s hard to capture the finish well in photographs but the pics above are excellent.

My Kal 04.0 has the printed numerals. I like the font and the understated finish; the hands provide enough blue on their own (for my tastes).

Just an edit of bmpf’s photo above. Good to see the really fine granular finish of the silvered brass.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I also have one one order. I have both dial options on mine.

Engraved ceramic dial. Subdial is engraved brass.

If you are unsure of size they will post you an empty cases of their options to tray for sizing.

Dornblueth dial options

Thanks for the insights all.

The suggestions about case and dial samples are very helpful, so I have emailed Jana to see if I can get a 40mm 99.1M case and at the minimum engraved and matt ceramic dial samples.

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 23rd October 2021 at 00:38.

Wow, haven’t seen that engraved option before … personally based just on these pictures it would be silver on brass with engraved numerals.

Would very much like a Dornbluth and this just makes the decision harder!

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I’m definitely a fan of the traditional silvered brass. It’s hard to capture the finish well in photographs but the pics above are excellent.

My Kal 04.0 has the printed numerals. I like the font and the understated finish; the hands provide enough blue on their own (for my tastes).

I would agree with that Colin. I bought my 99.4 used and expected that I would need to send it off for a service and was going to use the opportunity to switch dials to silver / blued applied numerals. However, the watch has run at +/-0sec for about a year now and over that time I have come to realise less is more, the watch is such a classy and legible design that applied numerals would detract from the simple enjoyment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also I think there is an option for the ceramic to not be polished shiny and to have more of a grainy textured finish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    See below for blue ceramic texture

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Also I think there is an option for the ceramic to not be polished shiny and to have more of a grainy textured finish.
    The grainy texture is the standard finish of all their ceramic dials.
    Polished is something one has to pay extra for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by En_nissen View Post
    The grainy texture is the standard finish of all their ceramic dials.
    Polished is something one has to pay extra for.
    Thanks! That makes sense.

I am really liking forward to the delivery of my one. Seems 10-12 months is the typical wait time at this point. For me it makes no sense to go “cheap” by getting a printed dial personally. It’s a one off watch customised to your requirements and felt I would have regretted not getting exactly what I wanted.

Worth noting if you go with blue appliqués and blue hands…… the colour doesn’t match!

Would drive me crazy! See link below which shows images of this difference.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/d...erals.4193394/
    Last edited by 893bet; 25th October 2021 at 12:53.

Apprentice

I am really liking forward to the delivery of my one. Seems 10-12 months is the typical wait time at this point. For me it makes no sense to go “cheap” by getting a printed dial personally. It’s a one off watch customised to your requirements and felt I would have regretted not getting exactly what I wanted.

Worth noting if you go with blue appliqués and blue hands…… the colour doesn’t match!

Would drive me crazy!
    Yeah, they've grown a lot in popularity ever since watchfinder featured them in a video, so the wait is really long now. As far as I recall, they only produce around 150 watches a year.
    I waited around... 9 months for mine I think.

I'm very happy I didn't go for the "standard" dial, even though that's good looking too. An engraved dial is just so much more special and good looking, and the amount of hand work going into those dials only seem fitting considering the movement.

Agreed about the markers - that would annoy me too. The hands are blued while the applied markers are lacquered, and while they match fairly well, it's not the same.

Does anyone have a copy of the current price list? I am curious about the price of a 99.4 in steel with the standard silver dial. The increase in demand has inevitably seen RRP creeping up steadily in recent years.

Now Dornbluth are a responsive company! I've had a very quick email response, and the 99.1M case and sample engraved dials are being sent to me free of charge.

I think this is the start of quite an exciting journey

Dave

Sent from my Google Pixelbook Go using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Does anyone have a copy of the current price list? I am curious about the price of a 99.4 in steel with the standard silver dial. The increase in demand has inevitably seen RRP creeping up steadily in recent years.
    https://www.dornblueth.com/catalog/P...0_Eng-exkl.pdf

Add 20% on import

D

Sent from my Google Pixelbook Go using Tapatalk

Thanks, Doc, I did not realise they have started to publish their prices online, this is a recent change

Yes, their customer service is very responsive.

I am really liking forward to the delivery of my one. Seems 10-12 months is the typical wait time at this point. For me it makes no sense to go “cheap†by getting a printed dial personally. It’s a one off watch customised to your requirements and felt I would have regretted not getting exactly what I wanted.

Would drive me crazy! See link below which shows images of this difference.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/d...erals.4193394/
    I don’t agree. Light plays a major part as most of the time the hands and markers are very dark, near black. You need to the get the light just right for the blue to pop on the applied and that hands. If there is any difference I doubt you would see it data to day.

However, I think my post above (#8) shows that they match very well. Your eyes would have to be pretty damn better than mine to see any real noticeable difference in colour

Apprentice
    The silvered brass looks very similar to the Lange 1815 family, especially given the overall appearance of the watch. I absolutely love these and at some point will order one. I have an 1815 Chrono and the very fine textured grain of the silvered dial has a wonderful softness in low light levels, which makes the dial so legible as well. So whilst I would be keen on the engraved silvered finish if it were my choice, I don't think you can make a bad decision as both options look great, and I may even be tempted by polished ceramic as it is a little different.

Dornblueth dial options

I received a package from Dornblüth today, a 99.1M case, a silver engraved dial, and a ceramic engraved dial for the larger 99.1

I prefer the silver dial much more, it plays with the light in a more interesting way. The ceramic is a bit flat by comparison. The red 12 is interesting, and I would quite like some feedback on that as a design choice, particularly as hands would be blued

The M case is certainly robust feeling! It’s thicker than I expected, 10.9mm from the back of the case to the top of the bezel, which is thicker than the 10mm of the spec.

I’ve mocked up a watch using the helidoc kaliber 1 tissue paper movement. There are some comparison photos with another German watch with a silver dial, although that is dainty by comparison. Please excuse the bazillion pictures

Opinions welcome, particularly the colour for the 12.

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 2nd November 2021 at 13:47.

Silver dial and no red 12 for me.

My 99.4's blued hands don't stand out anything like the blued hands on my Omega Seamaster. I have often wondered if this is the way t is with Dornbluth or because mine is an early watch. Most of the time they appear more black and even when the light is just right, the blue is subtle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    Had printed numerals on my 04.0

Replaced them with applied

Not sure which I prefer. The font and size of the printed numbers is more suited to the watch style but the popping blue of the applied numerals is amazing (as per earlier photos above).

Don’t know if that answers your question at all but I love these photos.

Can I ask, did you have the face changed ?

Master
    See below for blue ceramic texture

Is there a link to the blue colour dial, I can’t see it on the web site. If you have this can you share a photo with the hands ?

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I do like the red 12, goes well with the tint of the white dial.

If the M feels to big there is quintus. But it is not much thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Silver dial and no red 12 for me.

My 99.4's blued hands don't stand out anything like the blued hands on my Omega Seamaster. I have often wondered if this is the way t is with Dornbluth or because mine is an early watch. Most of the time they appear more black and even when the light is just right, the blue is subtle.
    Are the omega hands heat blued?

No red 12. It hurt my eyes!

What is that a nod to?

Apprentice
    I received a package from Dornblüth today, a 99.1M case, a silver engraved dial, and a ceramic engraved dial for the larger 99.1

I prefer the silver dial much more, it plays with the light in a more interesting way. The ceramic is a bit flat by comparison. The red 12 is interesting, and I would quite like some feedback on that as a design choice, particularly as hands would be blued

The M case is certainly robust feeling! It’s thicker than I expected, 10.9mm from the back of the case to the top of the bezel, which is thicker than the 10mm of the spec.

I’ve mocked up a watch using the helidoc kaliber 1 tissue paper movement. There are some comparison photos with another German watch with a silver dial, although that is dainty by comparison. Please excuse the bazillion pictures

Dave

My 99.1m is 10.7mm thick, including the domed crystal, so I think the case you've gotten is slightly thicker than the production units.

When no including the crystal, it's just about 10mm, maybe a bit less.

Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    No red 12. It hurt my eyes!

What is that a nod to?

Pocket watch ergonomics I think. You could have crown at 12 or 3.
    Less use on a wrist watch.

The red 12 is quite out of place IMHO. I see you also have a Damasko DC56, as do I. I'd be very interested to see a side by side shot with the DC56 laid on a flat surface, and a side shot with them stacked, if possible please.
    F.T.F.A.

My 99.1m is 10.7mm thick, including the domed crystal, so I think the case you've gotten is slightly thicker than the production units.

When no including the crystal, it's just about 10mm, maybe a bit less.
    I’ve got 10.8 from the back to the top of the bezel. I wouldn’t be surprised l, but it’s only a tiny number of my.

The thickness has given me pause forethought, and I really shouldn’t compare it to the Nomos!

D

Apprentice
    I’ve got 10.8 from the back to the top of the bezel. I wouldn’t be surprised l, but it’s only a tiny number of my.

The thickness has given me pause forethought, and I really shouldn’t compare it to the Nomos!

D

The thickness isn't really that bad on the wrist.
    Would it be nice if it was thinner? Surely! But it's not a problem to me.

Nomos can make any other watch feel thick.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Can I ask, did you have the face changed ?
    I had a second dial, with the blue applied numbers, fitted. The original is of course still with me. Dornblueth service was absolutely impeccable.

Dornblueth dial options

The thickness isn't really that bad on the wrist.
    Would it be nice if it was thinner? Surely! But it's not a problem to me.

Nomos can make any other watch feel thick.
    I’ve figured it out. The watch is a similar thickness to my Aerospace Evo, which I regard as a thin watch.

The apparent thickness is the screw in back, which is roughly 2mm but is flush with the mid-case so it appears as a continuation of it. If the back was solid it would taper. There is a very good reason for the see-through back!

Some measurements for those that care

Top of bezel to bottom of mid-case is 7.9mm
    Screw back is 2.1mm
    That should make 10mm, but put together, and with a firm squeeze of the callipers it’s 10.3-10.4mm

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 3rd November 2021 at 12:36.

Master

Dave

What size is the case in your first photo?

The case is the 99.1M so 40mm, lug to lug is 50mm

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Pocket watch ergonomics I think. You could have crown at 12 or 3.
    Less use on a wrist watch.
    Thanks...not really that familiar with pocket watches, but the red 12 on the Dornbluth just looks so jarring and out of place.