closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show your Doxa

Show your Doxa

I’m quite surprised how taken I am with the Seestern homage so may go real deal

Let’s see the Doxa owners out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Not currently an owner, but I have a WTB for one! These are the 4 I've previously owned, in order of their arrival and subsequent departure:

Sub750T Professional

Loved this at the time, pretty much my first "decent" watch too and if I remember the £800 felt a lot at the time! The bracelet feels light and adds to the vintage aesthetic with the polished beads of rice in the centre.

Sub750T GMT Sharkhunter

I was quite taken with this too. The dial looked relatively small with the inner GMT bezel which I loved playing with to change the appearance of the watch, not really needing to use a GMT function as intended. I remember being stopped by an Assistant when browsing in a jewellers in Dorset "hey is that a Diesel watch?". Imagine your pride and joy being mistaken for a fashion watch!

Sub1200T Searambler

Liked the starburst dial. Wore a bit like a Sea-Dweller (though not as comfortable) with a relatively tall profile to incorporate the HEV within the case side. Found the bracelet was quite thick and heavy in relation to the watch head - think it's the same bracelet as the GMT which is a larger watch and wears it better. If memory serves it originally had brushed beads of rice which wasn't as appealing as the polished on other models, but I stopped short of Cape Cod-ing them!

Sub300 Professional, 50th Anniversary

Oh to have loved and lost... Uber-Doxa for me, stupidly sold and seemingly hard to replace now. The font, lume colour and crown are all different to the current 300 version which I think is otherwise the same. This is how to do vintage-inspired lume without overdoing it! The retro font makes the current version look too bold and blocky. Would be delighted to find another...

Doxas seem disregarded by many, but they are definitely distinctive and hark back to the early dive watches with experimentation to the design and colours (look at the dwarf hour hand, sector dial, bold dial colours, beads of rice bracelet and distinctive bezel). Possibly a bit like Panerai - people tend to be split on their opinions of a watch originally designed for a different time and purpose. This was vintage-reproduction before it went mainstream :-)

Ant

Sold to fund something else but I'd have another. Probably a 300 next time though

His and hers… the 200 and the 300 Professional

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At one time I had a few

But the only one I still have is the 300T Searambler (2nd from right, bottom row)

Just the one (at the moment), Poseidon LE

Absolutely love this watch, it's supplanted everything else in my box as a daily wearer since it arrived earlier this year

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    At one time I had a few

[COLOR=unset]

]
    I’m pretty sure that I bought the black faced 750T Sharkhunter LE from you some years ago.
    I still have it and it is one of my favourite watches!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I’m pretty sure that I bought the black faced 750T Sharkhunter LE from you some years ago.
    I still have it and it is one of my favourite watches!
    Hi Andy - just checked through my spreadsheet (sad to have a spreadsheet, I know ) and although yours could well be my old watch, I sold it to Alas58 back in 2008. My watch was number 300.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Just the one (at the moment), Poseidon LE

That's handsome.

I thought all Doxas should be orange but I narrowly missed out on buying that model recently - so striking.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I have a trio of 300s. Great watches.

Craftsman
    All this thread makes me do is want a doxa but don't know if my wrists could pull it off

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    All this thread makes me do is want a doxa but don't know if my wrists could pull it off
    Seestern for a wrist test...

Had a bit of a obsession with doxa for a bit , sold quite a lot of them over the years new and vintage
    This is what I’ve got now and can’t see me getting anymore tbh it’s too many I know but can’t bring myself to sell any of this lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Had a bit of a obsession with doxa for a bit , sold quite a lot of them over the years new and vintage
    This is what I’ve got now and can’t see me getting anymore tbh it’s too many I know but can’t bring myself to sell any of this lineup
    Brilliant - I think four of them have equipment tie-ins, US Divers, Poseidon but I'm not sure of the last one?
    The orange USD one is on my list - someday.
    Last edited by number2; 23rd October 2021 at 10:57.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

One of my favourite watches ever!

Mate, you just need to give it up now. If you hadn't been such a bell end in the first place you might have done OK, but …

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I think four of them have equipment tie-ins, US Divers, Poseidon but I'm not sure of the last one?
    The 300T Seahunter (which i think is the "last one" you refer to?) was a LE Doxa released in 2002. It's not an equipment tie-in like Poseidon or US divers, but instead commemorates a non-fiction book (called The Seahunters) released by Clive Cussler. Cussler is well known in Doxa circles as his fictional books feature a character (Dirk Pitt) who wears an orange dial Doxa. The Seahunter is the one Doxa I could never get on with, mainly because of the gappy bracelet which i thought looked awful compared with the BOR bracelet, but also because IMO the handset is too fat for the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    The 300T Seahunter (which i think is the "last one" you refer to?) was a LE Doxa released in 2002. It's not an equipment tie-in like Poseidon or US divers, but instead commemorates a non-fiction book (called The Seahunters) released by Clive Cussler. Cussler is well known in Doxa circles as his fictional books feature a character (Dirk Pitt) who wears an orange dial Doxa. The Seahunter is the one Doxa I could never get on with, mainly because of the gappy bracelet which i thought looked awful compared with the BOR bracelet, but also because IMO the handset is too fat for the dial.
    Many thanks for explaining,

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/f...ition.4723739/
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on the Synchron vs Doxa? Is the quality comparable?
    I have the same Military and for the money it’s a fantastic watch.

Master
    Which Doxa did Dirk Pitt wear?

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I have a trio of 300s. Great watches.

Those are excellent, and am reassured that my own obsession hasn’t yet got to a critical point. I’m thinking what I could move on for a Sub 300.

D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would be interested to know your thoughts on the Synchron vs Doxa? Is the quality comparable?
    I have the same Military and for the money it’s a fantastic watch.
    I would say the synchron is underpriced and the doxa is overpriced so kind of meet in the middle in real term value
    The bezel is not as nice on the synchron also no crown cut in on the case and no bracelet but dial and hands and case are as good as the doxa, also the synchron is limited edition as all my Rick Marei ones are but the new management are mass produced

Tbh I’m going to reduce the collection of doxa as think I will buy a omega 300 sea master the new one with the lollipop seconds hand but still undecided on what to get rid of , what do you guys think should go?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Which Doxa did Dirk Pitt wear?
    A 300T.

Cussler got the idea when he was presented with such a watch as a leaving gift from the dive shop he worked in, the Aquatic dive centre in Santa Ana.

He decided to give his hero the same watch he sported.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Tbh I’m going to reduce the collection of doxa as think I will buy a omega 300 sea master the new one with the lollipop seconds hand but still undecided on what to get rid of , what do you guys think should go?
    Do not envy you. A great set and it would be hard for me to break them up personally, with the exception of the Seahunter. Never bonded when I had one years ago and it drops one of the oranges out.

In order for me:

Sub 600
    300 Pro Aqualung
    Synchron Military
    Divingstar
    Sharkhunter
    Searambler
    Seahunter

If I was being ruthless I’d be keeping one orange dial. The 600 is a cracker and it would be easier to revisit the Pro Aqualung.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Do not envy you. A great set and it would be hard for me to break them up personally, with the exception of the Seahunter. Never bonded when I had one years ago and it drops one of the oranges out.

In order for me:

Sub 600
    300 Pro Aqualung
    Synchron Military
    Divingstar
    Sharkhunter
    Searambler
    Seahunter

If I was being ruthless I’d be keeping one orange dial. The 600 is a cracker and it would be easier to revisit the Pro Aqualung.
    Thanks for your thoughts it’s nice to get some help on this one, I was thinking to go the synchron, searambler and really stuck on the third to go , I know it makes sense to get rid of a orange but I quite like the seahunter and it has the certificate as well signed by Clive cussler also a low serial number I think number 7 from the top of my head
    The chronograph i have is the sub 200 t graph a little different from the 600 version
    I guess it’s a good problem to have
    Maybe I should sell the Seiko’s instead, god watch collecting can be a headache sometimes
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 27th October 2021 at 16:25.

.....but I quite like the seahunter and it has the certificate as well signed by Clive cussler also a low serial number I think number 7 from the top of my head
    The chronograph i have is the sub 200 t graph a little different from the 600 version
    I guess it’s a good problem to have
    Maybe I should sell the Seiko’s instead, god watch collecting can be a headache sometimes
    Ah, that changes things. Sounds a nice full set that would be hard to replace. When I had one I think the ladder style bracelet plus the longer lug to lug dimensions were the deal breaker but I do have rather small wrists.

Apologies. Did zoom in on the pic and identified it was a 200 chrono, only to write 600. Twice!! That one was a bit of a grail for me. When prices were somewhat reasonable I was put off tracking one down due to fears of servicing and replacing parts. Not sure whether that indeed was a valid consideration, but prices continued north and probably out of reach for me now. Think the Professional Aqualung is the next addition for me.

In a similar boat with my Seiko’s too. Keep thinking about a full on refresh but alas, a bit too lazy at the moment. I do have the Synchron Military pvd with the ETA movement. That would be safe from any imminent cull. As you mentioned earlier, they really are value for money.

Perhaps we need to see a SOYC. Be interesting to see what else you have.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Ah, that changes things. Sounds a nice full set that would be hard to replace. When I had one I think the ladder style bracelet plus the longer lug to lug dimensions were the deal breaker but I do have rather small wrists.

Apologies. Did zoom in on the pic and identified it was a 200 chrono, only to write 600. Twice!! That one was a bit of a grail for me. When prices were somewhat reasonable I was put off tracking one down due to fears of servicing and replacing parts. Not sure whether that indeed was a valid consideration, but prices continued north and probably out of reach for me now. Think the Professional Aqualung is the next addition for me.

In a similar boat with my Seiko’s too. Keep thinking about a full on refresh but alas, a bit too lazy at the moment. I do have the Synchron Military pvd with the ETA movement. That would be safe from any imminent cull. As you mentioned earlier, they really are value for money.

Perhaps we need to see a SOYC. Be interesting to see what else you have.
    Not a lot more tbh here is the rest of the collection and on the waiting list for a harrods black bay , not sure now whether to use the money I have set aside for the harrods and use that towards the omega sea master

Not a lot more tbh here is the rest of the collection and on the waiting list for a harrods black bay , not sure now whether to use the money I have set aside for the harrods and use that towards the omega sea master
    I would. It is a superb watch and IMHO looks better on the brown leather however get the SS bracelet and buy leather separately as it works out much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I would. It is a superb watch and IMHO looks better on the brown leather however get the SS bracelet and buy leather separately as it works out much cheaper.
    I think this is what I will do even though the harrods is nice

Now what to sell?
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 27th October 2021 at 19:03.

Craftsman
    Some very nice Doxa's. This is my Synchron Sharkhunter from maybe 1977 ish ??

I recently got another Doxa. Haven’t worn anything else since it landed.

I ended up flipping the doxa searambler, doxa seahunter, and Seiko sla033 , and going to put the synchron up on ebay tomorrow
    Brought the Omega Seamaster 300 master and yesterday also collected the harrods black bay

Craftsman
    I am debating getting the 1500t aquamarine, when I tried on yesterday was very impressed with the build quality.
    Never really looked at Doxa but I have now changed my mind plus the Mrs loves it and wants to buy me it for our anniversary, win, win I would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post

Anyone have a sub 200? Really drawn to this model but would like to hear some opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    I am debating getting the 1500t aquamarine, when I tried on yesterday was very impressed with the build quality.
    Never really looked at Doxa but I have now changed my mind plus the Mrs loves it and wants to buy me it for our anniversary, win, win I would say.
    Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post

Looks great Pawel…

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Looks great Pawel…

It really is! Thanks Tommy.

Just arrived

Craftsman
    Just arrived

Looks really nice

How is the recessed crown operation? It doesn’t look like there’s much to get a grip on when unscrewing.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    Looks really nice

How is the recessed crown operation? It doesn’t look like there’s much to get a grip on when unscrewing.
    A backside shot is better at explaining it.

I’m really undecided on this one, it looks and feels really top heavy compared to my 300T. It’s only 10g heavier (although I’m not sure what the head/bracelet ratio is against the 300T) and it feels much taller, although it’s the same thickness.

The lugs stand really high, so the head feels like it’s sitting on the wrist rather than wrapping around it.

I really want to like it, but it might be going the same way as the T&T version; back to Jura.

Craftsman
    ^^^ thanks for this.

I see what you mean, straight lugs and a protruding caseback don’t make for a comfortable fit

Apprentice

The lugs stand really high, so the head feels like it’s sitting on the wrist rather than wrapping around it.

I really want to like it, but it might be going the same way as the T&T version; back to Jura.
    That looks like they've machined the case from the thinnest possible billet, a shame as it looks superb face on.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    That looks like they've machined the case from the thinnest possible billet, a shame as it looks superb face on.

Yeah, it's weird - compared to the 300T, the case is 'higher' relative to the bezel and caseback.

I've had it on all day, I seem to be getting used to it. The dial sure is pretty and extremely legible.
    Last edited by ed335d; 8th December 2021 at 23:28.

Yeah, it's weird - compared the 300T, the case is 'higher' relative to the bezel and caseback.

I've had it on all day, I seem to be getting used to it. The dial sure is pretty and extremely legible.
    Good news if you do get used to it, fantastic looking piece of kit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AberBoy View Post
    Beautiful.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Never owned a doxa but I’m finding myself drawn to the 600t sharkhunter. In terms of build quality what does it compare to? Ie, longines, Oris, seiko etc. Any help would be appreciated!

A backside shot is better at explaining it.

I’m really undecided on this one, it looks and feels really top heavy compared to my 300T. It’s only 10g heavier (although I’m not sure what the head/bracelet ratio is against the 300T) and it feels much taller, although it’s the same thickness.

That height looks dreadful. I was thinking about picking up one of these but those pictures give me cause for concern. I wonder whether the original ones were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    That height looks dreadful. I was thinking about picking up one of these but those pictures give me cause for concern. I wonder whether the original ones were the same.
    It does feel like the watch is high, but it's the same thickness as the 300T. If you're on the fence, order one from Jura and return if it doesn't work for you (I think you can even select wrist-size when ordering, so I assume they adjust before sending).

I've worn it for the last couple of days (just in the house in case I decide to return), but it is growing on me.