closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Repair, sell or donate

Repair, sell or donate

Evening all
    I’m just after a bit of advice . I bought the good lady an Omega Seamaster Quartz a number of years ago . She’s about as careful as I am with her watches so it’s fair to say it’s been through the mill . It was looking a little on the tired side so I thought I’d get her a new one .
    Last Christmas I changed it to a black faced model . In the meantime she somehow managed to lose the bezel on the original .
    She won’t want two watches so I’m at a loss as to what to do with her old one .
    I’ve no idea what a new bezel and crystal might cost or wether it’ll be uneconomical to repair .
    I’ve attached a pic but it’s difficult to photograph.
    I’m loath to just return it to Omega before getting an idea what it might cost .
    I’ve toyed with the idea of repair ing it , selling as is or even donating for some cause .
    Any ideas welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    The watch needs a new glass, replacement bezel and click spring, plus a dose of refinishing. Suggest you ask someone with an Omega parts account if they can help. Duncan Potter (Genesis) is the guy I’d approach. If supply of parts wasn’t restricted I could sort this out easily, but those days are gone.

The only problem with getting it fixed is the cost, the alternative is to put it on ebay as a fixer upper.

Isn’t it just the insert to the bezel that’s lost?

Plenty on eBay if that’s the case.

Looking at the pictures it appears to have suffered water ingress at some point

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Looking at the pictures it appears to have suffered water ingress at some point
    No, that’s my photography skills .
    I’ll try Duncan an$ see what he thinks.
    I was quoted £400 just for the bezel a few months back . Considering the watch cost £750, I’m loathe to just pay that .
    Anyway, thanks fo4 th3 info.

The bezel is still there, you only need the insert, which will be a lot less costly.

I have a recollection that, with the men's model of this watch, there is no bezel insert-only option and you have to purchase the entire assembly which obviously pushes the price up a bit. Can anybody confirm?

Edit: This link from Ofrei seems to back this up.

Omega only Supplies Complete Bezels!
    We have no bezel inserts available for Omega Watch Bezels
    https://www.ofrei.com/page663.html
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I’m sure you are right CB, but as the OP has just about written the watch off, I would have thought the aftermarket insert route for £20 would be acceptable.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I’m sure you are right CB, but as the OP has just about written the watch off, I would have thought the aftermarket insert route for £20 would be acceptable.
    I think you're probably right.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

whack a replacent insert on the bezel and get it sold if the swmbo doesn't want a second watch... quids in :)
    what jason said basically.

Grand Master
    Hadn't realised that the bezel (and presumably the bezel click spring) were still present.

The after-market bezel inserts won't match the quality of the original but anything's better than nothing and that's probably the best way forward. Might be best to sell the watch as-is on ebay and let the next guy make something out of it.

Cousins sell an aftermarket bezel insert, you'll need to check the size and case# (caseback inside), but it's probably this one:
    Omega 082SU1362 (Blue) Ø33.05mm
    Cousins item# R40383
    Outside Ø33.05mm
    Inside Ø26.20mm
    Blue
    Case numbers:
    Price: £23.75

Thanks again all .
    I didn’t even notice it was just the insert .
    I’ll get one on order . Are they difficult to fit or should I be getting someone else on it ?

Master
    IIRC
    The bezel insert has doubled sided 3M tape on the back, which is how your Mrs lost it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Thanks again all .
    I didn’t even notice it was just the insert .
    I’ll get one on order . Are they difficult to fit or should I be getting someone else on it ?
    As it's been said above you can just stick it on yourself, although Cousins don't mention theirs has a sticky tape on the backside, they usually do. If not, you can always apply one yourself.
    One thing to add, before you'd stick it on, it'd probably be a good idea to clean the dirt from underneath the bezel. It might have even played a part in losing the original insert, and definitely won't help with the stickiness of the new one.
    If you trust the watch is waterproof, put it in warm/hot (but not boiling) water, with few drops of dishwasher liquid in it. Leave it there for a few minutes, then give it a rub with a toothbrush, while turning the bezel few times. Then of course dry thoroughly, that should do the job :)

Grand Master
    I bought an aftermarket Omega insert from Cousins when they first became available approx. 4 years ago.

I don`t know where the 'sticky tape; stories are coming from but Omega bezel inserts are NOT fitted this way, the insert snaps into place and the aftermarket one I bought was the same fitment, sticking inserts on with tape is a bodge in my opinion. Despite it fitting nicely the finish wasn't durable and chipped very easily because it was painted not anodised. It may be possible to fit the insert from above by pressing it in but everything needs to be clean, if I was doing it I`d get the bezel off and sort it all out, this watch has clearly had a hard life so its likely to be full of muck and there's a risk that the insert won't be able to fully snap home. When I used to work on these I took the insert out to refinish the bezel, when refitting I took the bezel spring out but left the click spring in place, this allows the bezel to be located on the watch and the insert to be aligned correctly, that's the only way to line it up properly. When I was happy and the insert had snapped fully home I replaced the bezel retaining spring, greased it and snapped the bezel back on. whilst twisting. These bezels are not easy to get off, I have a tool for the full size and mid-size but not for the small ladies.

I`m assuming the OPs watch is the small ladies size or possibly the mid-size 36mm? Not sure if inserts are available for these, the case reference is needed to check and that's inside the caseback.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 21st October 2021 at 16:13.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    IIRC
    The bezel insert has doubled sided 3M tape on the back, which is how your Mrs lost it in the first place.
    Not on any Omega I`ve ever seen!

Craftsman
    https://ewatchparts.com/omega-inserts/

this might have an aftermarket bezel for your watch, depending on the model number

Craftsman
    Would be good to know what you end up doing with this. My two cents would be get the aftermarket insert. Alternatively, Mrs bushes currently doesn't have a non smart watch and I wouldn't mind a bit of a project so if it ends up in SC I might have a punt.

Well of course I ordered the wrong insert from Cousins :)

I’ve emailed them to ask about a replacement but I couldn’t find the size on the website .
    It’s the 2224.80.00 28 mm model.

There’s also a place nearby who serviced my Railmaster so I could always try them .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Well of course I ordered the wrong insert from Cousins :)

I’ve emailed them to ask about a replacement but I couldn’t find the size on the website .
    It’s the 2224.80.00 28 mm model.

There’s also a place nearby who serviced my Railmaster so I could always try them .
    Could be a good shout, I don’t think an independent would charge too much to buy/install an aftermarket bezel. Was the replacement comically big?