closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Rolex replacement question

Craftsman

Vintage Rolex replacement question

Hey guys, me again,

Sorry for the spam but I just wondered if any of our in-house Vintage Rolex experts here could help me out.

I'm looking at buying a 5513 and I've come across what I think is a nice example. 1985 model, near complete set (missing original certificate which is a shame) for £12.5k. Original dial with nice patina, some case polishing, replaced bezel insert, replaced clasp, and replaced plexiglass - all polishing and replacements done by Rolex with service record to prove it.

Do you think this sounds like a reasonable price? I'm going to view the watch in person tomorrow so I can judge it a bit better then ... but I'm just unsure about whether it's slightly overpriced with those replaced parts.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.8 KB, 126 views)
    Last edited by axb601; 20th October 2021 at 09:09.

Master
    Think you probably have replacement hands there as well, although they can age differently to the dial plots.

£12.5K for a late, non matte dial 5513 without cert seems a little steep, but I stand to be corrected

The patina on the dial looks good but I agree that the hands look to be possible replacements. The case is too heavily polished for my liking (look at those crown guards as evidence of a fairly heavy polish). Not having the papers means that the “set” with the watch could have just been put together…..so check to see if the swimpruf tag with the correct serial number is included in the package…..that with any service papers are the key associated items to have. To my mind 12.5k for a late 80s 5513 is madness (particularly with service replacement parts, polished case and no original papers) but others would disagree and it is basically worth whatever you are prepared to pay. Not sure if you have previously tried a 5513 but strapping it on your wrist will likely tell you a lot. I love vintage Rolex but they are not for everyone. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

Craftsman
    I agree with the above, a very polished case, crown guards are very much so. I've attached a photo of my once polished L serial for comparison. Mine doesn't have the warranty papers but has everything else and I'd probably expect to pay around £10k for it now.

Personally I'd look at other options but it has to be your choice that counts.

Craftsman
    Thank you so much for the amazing responses! I forgot just how awesome this community was!!

I’m going to check the watch out tomorrow on my lunch break but I’ll keep you posted!! I’m already much more cautious about it than a was a few hours ago thanks to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the general consensus would be to look for another watch. This example has far too many issues

Master
    Have to agree the above comments, there are better watches out there for similar money. The case lugs have been polished almost to oblivion, far too thin and the crown guards are terrible.

If I wanted a 5513, I’d want a printed dial rather than applied plots otherwise I’d be looking at a later 14060 or 14060M.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on looking for a full set either just the best watch I could find within budget from a reputable seller for additional peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Simple but genuine question - what percentage of these watches are really original. The best thing surely is to assume that during their long and unchartered life they have been messed about with.

Papers and boxes were nearly always thrown away and everyone had their watch polished during a service and replacing bits was seen as the norm.

I think if you buy vintage, you just have to learn to live with it. Of course you could do the alternative thing, buy a new model, hold onto it and make sure it is preserved to keep some finicky geek happy in 30 or so years time.

I would not consider that 5513. As already said be several posters, the case looks very over polished.

I didn't know gloss dial 5513's were being priced so high nowadays, a rising tide...... I guess.

ETA SteveDSSD's example, is how a very nice one should look.
    Last edited by dustybottoms; 20th October 2021 at 08:57.