closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Would you be happy if you lost a space outside your house you couldn't use?
    What’s the answer then?

I’ve lived in houses without off street parking, it’s a pain when you arrive home from work and can’t get parked anywhere near your house, but I didn’t own the road so couldn’t really complain.

Same if the council install an EV charger or a Disabled Bay, whilst I might feel it doesn’t benefit me, there’s a wider societal view to consider as well.

My sister lives near Waterloo, right outside her house the council installed a car club parking bay, sucks to be her right?

Meanwhile, my sister in law is working a project where they’re installing chargers in the kerbside, no designated EV bays or parking, just park on the street as normal and use the nearest socket if your car is an PHEV/EV.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    For EV ownership you mean or just vs not having a car at all?

M
    For EV ownership and cars in general, people are conditioned now to accept that spending £20/30/40K+ of savings on a new car is not the way to go about owning a new car, nearly every new car sold in the UK to a private owner will be under a PCP/finance set up.

Some of us still buy used from private adverts but even used cars are going back out on the roads under a loan or finance..

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    What’s the answer then?

I’ve lived in houses without off street parking, it’s a pain when you arrive home from work and can’t get parked anywhere near your house, but I didn’t own the road so couldn’t really complain.

Same if the council install an EV charger or a Disabled Bay, whilst I might feel it doesn’t benefit me, there’s a wider societal view to consider as well.

My sister lives near Waterloo, right outside her house the council installed a car club parking bay, sucks to be her right?

Meanwhile, my sister in law is working a project where they’re installing chargers in the kerbside, no designated EV bays or parking, just park on the street as normal and use the nearest socket if your car is an PHEV/EV.
    People aren't buying the things for a societal benefit (and doubt there's much in a large 4x4 PHEV). They're buying to save money or just because they can.

Master
    People aren't buying the things for a societal benefit (and doubt there's much in a large 4x4 PHEV). They're buying to save money or just because they can.
    Well, speaking for myself here, I don’t save money because the fuel savings are offset by the higher cost of the EV. I replaced it when my existing PHEV was end of life.

But, it’s better for local pollution, and is better to drive.

You haven’t quite answered the question really, there is a wider benefit to society especially in a polluted place like London whether the person living opposite an on street charger on public land benefits personally or not. It’s also not relevant whether an EV driver is saving money either, one less ICE on the road benefits everybody whatever the owners motivation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    What’s the answer then?
    Cycling, walking, public transport?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    No, the answer to somebody who doesn’t want the space on the public road outside their house occupied by an EV charging bay?

You’ll find in all the threads I’ve contributed to on this and other similar topics that I’ve said the only ‘green’ car is no car at all, but people do need, own and use cars, so what’s the answer.

It can’t be more of the same and it probably can’t be (if we’re being realistic) zero cars at all. Somewhere in between with more sustainable or overall less polluting vehicles is probably the best hope we’ve got in the medium term.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If I lived in London and needed to commute say up to 10 miles then cycling would be my choice, I just couldn't be arsed to be stuck in traffic and take that long to get to work/home..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    For EV ownership and cars in general, people are conditioned now to accept that spending £20/30/40K+ of savings on a new car is not the way to go about owning a new car, nearly every new car sold in the UK to a private owner will be under a PCP/finance set up.

Some of us still buy used from private adverts but even used cars are going back out on the roads under a loan or finance..
    OK, I generally agree with that.

If I lived in London and needed to commute say up to 10 miles then cycling would be my choice, I just couldn't be arsed to be stuck in traffic and take that long to get to work/home..
    You'd be taking your life in your hands though! If the drivers don't get you, irate pedestrians or other cyclists will!

I wouldn't cycle in London (or drive, for that matter), it's got a great public transport system (unlike most of the rest of Britain), so I'd use that.

Cheers.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th October 2021 at 14:14.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    When did walking 10-50m to your house become any kind of an issue? I have a drive I park on but it wouldn’t bother me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    When did walking 10-50m to your house become any kind of an issue? I have a drive I park on but it wouldn’t bother me.
    I don’t think many do think it’s an issue per se, just some seem to have gone into bat for a bloke they don’t know who might be slightly inconvenienced because an EV might want to charge outside on the public street outside his house where he often parks his ICE in ‘his’ space.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Who is liable if a member of the public trips over a 10m charging cable running to a car two spaces away and injures themself walking down the pavement in town? How does the EV owner flag this risk?
    I would assume that the driver would be liable for anyone injuring themselves.

As others point out, at least here, I'm able to run the cable between the kerb and other parked cars, and any excess is thrown under my car so it's not a trip hazard and it's not crossing (or indeed going where near) a pavement.

There are a growing number of brightly coloured cables to help with visibility, but that's no solace to people who are partially or entirely blind, hence why careful and considerate cable routing is still important.

Generally, EV charge points tend to be between walkways and the road/parking space, so crossing pavements is unlikely. There probably does need to be more consideration of cable routing and situation of chargepoints for kerb side installations, but so far it seems pretty easy to coexist with everything else.

Further update on this. After having discussed it with the council apparently there was supposed to be an EV charging point sign on the lamppost but it seems to have 'disappeared'. Not to worry, the employee at the Council said they would refer it to the relevant department and have an EV-only parking bay markings put in that space. Plan is to put another on the same street as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Further update on this. After having discussed it with the council apparently there was supposed to be an EV charging point sign on the lamppost but it seems to have 'disappeared'. Not to worry, the employee at the Council said they would refer it to the relevant department and have an EV-only parking bay markings put in that space. Plan is to put another on the same street as well.
    You’ll have to go and tell the neighbour the good news that he now has to buy an EV vehicle to park outside his own house!!

And here is the charger in question. Not exactly a hardship for him to be 2 meters to the right or the left!

Make sure you get a usb stick in the Tesla Ryan. I'd say there's a chance you're going to be keyed and/or unplugged.

The window guy came this week and parked outside a neighbour's house who then blocked him in by parking over their own dropped kerb (two cars, one OSP space).

When the window guy knocked to ask the neighbour to move so he could get out they gave him a lecture. I wasn't home but told him next time he comes to park in the same place and I'm more than happy to tell them to f off if they have a problem with it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You’ll have to go and tell the neighbour the good news that he now has to buy an EV vehicle to park outside his own house!!
    A lot of our village recently had double yellows painted outside their houses - it happens, they’ll need to park elsewhere.

And here is the charger in question. Not exactly a hardship for him to be 2 meters to the right or the left!
    Have to say Ryan, I'm a bit disappointed to see a residential suburban street and not an exotic apartment complex! LOL! Hope the designated parking spot works out and the neighbour is suitably infuriated when you pull up outside his house to charge your ev.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Have to say Ryan, I'm a bit disappointed to see a residential suburban street and not an exotic apartment complex! LOL! Hope the designated parking spot works out and the neighbour is suitably infuriated when you pull up outside his house to charge your ev.
    Ha! Yes this is where he lives. My 'exotic' complex is about 300 meters away by the river however I'm pretty sure every house in this road is worth at least twice what my apartment is worth:)

Here is aforementioned exotic complex
    Last edited by ryanb741; 23rd October 2021 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Make sure you get a usb stick in the Tesla Ryan. I'd say there's a chance you're going to be keyed and/or unplugged.

The window guy came this week and parked outside a neighbour's house who then blocked him in by parking over their own dropped kerb (two cars, one OSP space).

When the window guy knocked to ask the neighbour to move so he could get out they gave him a lecture. I wasn't home but told him next time he comes to park in the same place and I'm more than happy to tell them to f off if they have a problem with it.
    How does that help? They blocked him in.

Blog Entries
    Ha! Yes this is where he lives. My 'exotic' complex is about 300 meters away by the river however I'm pretty sure every house in this road is worth at least twice what my apartment is worth:)

I see you have airbrushed the washing out
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    How does that help? They blocked him in.
    They parked along a droped kerb to block him in because he "was in their space". Idiots.

I have no tolerance for this sort of stuff. I'll buy a car for £500 and leave it there for a year if they keep it up.

They parked along a droped kerb to block him in because he "was in their space". Idiots.

I have no tolerance for this sort of stuff. I'll buy a car for £500 and leave it there for a year if they keep it up.
    I understand, but telling him to park there and you going out and telling your neighbours to F off is hardly going to help him. Chances are they will just leave him blocked in and out of pocket.

Maybe you have £500 for a car but doubt that poor bloke can afford to be out of pocket for hours for someone else’s row.

I understand, but telling him to park there and you going out and telling your neighbours to F off is hardly going to help him. Chances are they will just leave him blocked in and out of pocket.

Maybe you have £500 for a car but doubt that poor bloke can afford to be out of pocket for hours for someone else’s row.
    He'll be fine, it's an all day job at mine. More than happy to have it out with someone being a clown over a parking space.

It's a public road, the only space which you own is on your driveway. If the neighbour has a problem with that he shouldn't have two cars or should go buy a house with a bigger drive.

The council here will tow you for blocking a dropped kerb - even if it's your car and "your" dropped kerb.

Is that Del and Rodney I see outside Nelson Mandela House!!

Blog Entries
    Well he will be pleased no doubt, but at least he knows who to thank.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Are you Home Alone?

Not trying to be funny but why own a car without a driveway or garage. It just seems a bit odd to me. Even my first house in a small mews court had allocated parking outside. If you are concerned about parking a vehicle surely you would have a driveway?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Not trying to be funny but why own a car without a driveway or garage. It just seems a bit odd to me. Even my first house in a small mews court had allocated parking outside. If you are concerned about parking a vehicle surely you would have a driveway?
    Not everyone can afford a house with a driveway or parking space, many require a car to be able to do their job. I sense that tz is heavily representative of a privilege few (in which I include myself), but the world is very different for most.

I once had the temerity to buy a car when I lived in a terraced street, but I’ve got a driveway now, phew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most houses in towns don’t have a drive way. What if you live in a Flat? I am not sure I would want a house with a drive way, I much prefer a front garden with front gate and path, at least you are looking at some nice green plants as opposed to a car when you look out the front window. Each to their own I guess?

I wouldn't buy a horse w/o a stable.

Irony of ironies I got am email from the company managing our underground car park that they are indeed installing EV chargers! I'm still not going to stomach the £300 a month parking seeing as the car itself is only costing around £420 a month and the car is only for emergencies anyway as I don't really need it (to be fair I really wanted a Tesla so that's a main driver).

So I'll stick with the £90 a month place next door and matey boy doing his best Gandalf 'you shall not pass' impression will have the opportunity to learn more about EVs now that he has a dedicated EV slot outside.

I have to assume you've never been to London? Even £10m houses in Mayfair have on-street parking only. When space is at a premium dedicating some of that precious yardage to basically empty space isn't feasible.

Irony of ironies I got am email from the company managing our underground car park that they are indeed installing EV chargers! I'm still not going to stomach the £300 a month parking seeing as the car itself is only costing around £420 a month and the car is only for emergencies anyway as I don't really need it (to be fair I really wanted a Tesla so that's a main driver).

So I'll stick with the £90 a month place next door and matey boy doing his best Gandalf 'you shall not pass' impression will have the opportunity to learn more about EVs now that he has a dedicated EV slot outside.
    Seems a bit cheeky, you don’t want to pay for parking in your own building so you want to park outside someone’s house and tough luck on them.

Seems a bit cheeky, you don’t want to pay for parking in your own building so you want to park outside someone’s house and tough luck on them.
    Correct. Luckily that's public parking to anyone with a residents permit so anyone with said permit could park there. In my case it will save a load of money. Just like I live next to Richmond and Bushey Park but I accept the fact that other people are also allowed to visit them ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Not everyone can afford a house with a driveway or parking space, many require a car to be able to do their job. I sense that tz is heavily representative of a privilege few (in which I include myself), but the world is very different for most.
    its not even about affordability, there are hundreds of thousands of 500k-5million properties without driveways, whole streets of desirable properties with no drive and on street parking.
    i’ll soon be moving to a 500k flat that has its own garage (and the space in front) friends down the road have a 1million pound house but just have on street parking.
    my parents council house has a drive, allocated street space (disabled) and a garage.

Did you see the picture Ryan posted of the space?

Correct. Luckily that's public parking to anyone with a residents permit so anyone with said permit could park there. In my case it will save a load of money. Just like I live next to Richmond and Bushey Park but I accept the fact that other people are also allowed to visit them ;)

But he couldn’t pay £300 and park in your building? So ok to park in front of his house not ok to park in your building.

Perhaps he can do what another forum member suggested, buy 2 £500 cars and just block you in.

Seems some people just love to cheese people off for no good reason.

But he couldn’t pay £300 and park in your building? So ok to park in front of his house not ok to park in your building.

Perhaps he can do what another forum member suggested, buy 2 £500 cars and just block you in.

Actually he could as my building's parking is open to the public.

Do you even understand the concept of street parking?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Did you see the picture Ryan posted of the space?
    Yes, what’s that got to do with it? He has parking in his own building and a charger in his own building. Why should people who live on that street (either that bloke or someone else) be put out by someone who lives in a flat with ample parking but wants to save himself a few quid?

Actually he could as my building's parking is open to the public.
    Ah ok, thought it was private parking residents only.

Master
    Anybody with a local residents permit can park outside his house, it’s public property and the public can park in it.

Much tough luck will be coming his way, and probably already does.

Ah ok, thought it was private parking residents only.
    Nope although access to the development is for residents only and at £300 a month they won't have many takers

Yes, what’s that got to do with it? He has parking in his own building and a charger in his own building. Why should people who live on that street (either that bloke or someone else) be put out by someone who lives in a flat with ample parking but wants to save himself a few quid?
    If that guy wants his own dedicated space then he can pay and get a driveway. If he can't have a driveway but still wants his own dedicated space? Move, or pay £300 pm to park in Ryan's building.

Not complicated. It's a public road with marked bays. If Ryan obeys by the hours or has a permit to park there the guy in question can STFU.

If that guy wants his own dedicated space then he can pay and get a driveway. If he can't have a driveway but still wants his own dedicated space? Move, or pay £300 pm to park in Ryan's building.

Not complicated. It's a public road with marked bays. If Ryan obeys by the hours or has a permit to park there the guy in question can STFU.
    The thread title questioned 'etiquette', not what is allowed or legal.

It's not etiquette for me to park outside my next door neighbours house when there's space outside mine.

Master

It's not etiquette for me to park outside my next door neighbours house when there's space outside mine.
    Is it etiquette to park your ICE next to an EV charger, blocking it from being used by an EV, even if it’s allowed?

It’s a right moral maze isn’t it…

Agree, but if someone is parked outside my house I'll park in the next free space. That's life on a busy street. At least 50% of the time the car parked outside my house isn't mine.

Ryan's issue here was trying to talk to the guy and come to any arrangement at all. Ryan approached it as if the guy owned the space and the guy reacted as if he did. The space is a free for all. Nothing more or less.

You to a tea.