closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    People are hilarious about 'their' parking spaces. We often have to park way up the street because it's rammed, sometimes with about 10 Skodas from the dealer down the road, but it's just how it is.

There's a bloke opposite us who made a massive point of tutting and shaking his head when I parked in 'his' space on Saturday. I left an hour later and he immediately moved his car, which was only over the road anyway, to fill the gap.

Then on Sunday I couldn't believe my luck when 'his' space was free again, so I parked there and it will be there until Saturday, when we can start round 2

This. When I moved to suburbia from the leafy lanes had a word with myself. Public road, anyone free to park etc. Made a touch worse by other roads nearby being permit only. My neighbours are a mixed bag, some even objected to me extending the drive and dropped kerb because it took a road parking space away! The fact that my car would be off the road escaped them. Last year UU left some cones behind after fixing a drainage problem. They have loved this and the daily juggle of car, cones, cones, car has gone on ever since. It’s hilarious really but the frustration of parking well away from your property must be annoying too, esp as it’s commuters.

What I do like is a young polite driver, in the last year I’ve had three call in and ask nicely if they can park outside my house. How lovely they are before they get worldly wise!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    ………..

The fees residents pay to park in the area as a whole entitle them to park in the area not a single designated slot. He has no more right to park outside his home than anyone else with a residents parking permit. He owns his house not the pavement and road space outside.

………..
    So why do you think you have more right to park there than him and he should move to accommodate you?

…..

Anyway what we will do is put a polite notice on his windscreen, photograph it, send it to the council to ask them to enforce EV spaces for EV cars only (or at least provide markings). Would be good if they would do that for the greater good anyway as there are tons of Teslas and Ipaces parked on the streets anyway.

…….
    If there are that many in the neighbourhood chances are someone else will capture the space before you.
    But at least you’ll have the satisfaction of ensuring he can’t park outside his own house I suppose…..
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 19th October 2021 at 07:27.

I once had a terraced rental property which was thirteen feet wide on an unadopted, cobbled road. The guy next door gave my young tenants grief about parking in his place outside his house.

He was adamant about his rights until I told him that, as his car was fifteen feet long, he could no longer park there as he was using someone else’s space too and that, as it was private, I’d be within my rights to remove the section of his car which was protruding onto my space.

He became a lot less belligerent after that.

Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

Petition the highway agency to install chargers in lampposts in your development?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Anyway what we will do is put a polite notice on his windscreen, photograph it, send it to the council to ask them to enforce EV spaces for EV cars only (or at least provide markings). Would be good if they would do that for the greater good anyway as there are tons of Teslas and Ipaces parked on the streets anyway.
    I’d keep your hands and ‘polite notice’ off his car if I were you.

What if he photographs you interfering with / damaging his car and sends it to the Police or posts it on social media?

Or someone decides to put a ‘polite notice’ on your car if you park there?

Master
    Pay your charge, park outside your own house, don’t expect others to move for you just because you bought an electric car. That was your choice.

Ryan, have you ever considered employing someone to manage your PR?

Isn't their space though

It isn’t your space either.

So you either park there and risk the fallout, park somewhere else, stump up the £300/month for your own spot.

Personally I doubt very much you would be very happy if you found someone from down the street parking in a parking space you had stumped up £90/month either.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    6 figure salary complaining bout parking fees, living the dream.😂😂

Yeah I would do if my own development had electric charging but it doesn't and I begrudge the greedy barstewards asking £300 when the flats next door sell their slots for £90.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is no drama as there are a bunch of public chargers nearby but I fancied doing the occasional slow charge to 100% to keep the battery in tip top shape. I think a local Tesco has free ones so I might just use that once in a while.
    Hi Ryan
    Forget the spot you’re thinking of
    Your Tesla will have a mighty range, so if you’re not using it much it’ll be fine off a turbo charge once it’s v low

However…. On the point of trickle charging at Tesco - that’s a good way of doing things, just be careful how many hours you are allowed in the car park for and ensure you’re been and gone on the time frame

Pod point is the app you need for Tesco

This “spot” in the street won’t be needed - you have a massive Tesla only charging system around - by the sounds of it you hardly need it

Good luck with the world of EV - it can seem a pain at first but the £££££ saved is well worth it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The £210 a month saving is irrelevant as even if I paid that (£300) there is no charging so the point is moot. If there was charging in our Underground car park I'd probably swallow the cost for convenience but there is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It isn’t your space either.

stump up the £300/month for your own spot.
    I believe there is no electric charging point at his place - hence even if parking was free at his place - he still has a charging problem (unless i have interpreted it incorrectly)

There are some interesting responses to this thread… mostly missing a key point.

Ryan
    If the space is free when you happen to drive past park there and charge away. (I would not try to come to an agreement as he sounds like a right b&ll end).

The facts are, the space is not his, he has not paid for it. It’s on a public high way and an EV charger has been placed adjacent to the space by the the local authority for residents to use, this was paid for by using taxes that you contribute to as a local resident. You have the same right to park there and use the charger as anyone else.

He might get the hump but I would ignore him*

He is unlikely to do anything to your car as you know where he lives and if it were me I would get some joy out of knowing he will be fuming at such a petty inconvenience. (But I can be a right b&ll end as well),

*I would point out the error of his ways and tell him where to park his car, if he were if kick up a fuss (likely up his fundament). This is unlikely though he has no recourse to complain or moan.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th October 2021 at 09:29.

Master
    At last, the voice of reason from Sinnlover!

It’s the public highway, if it’s free, you park in the space. If it isn’t you go somewhere else.

Tesla have a good sentry mode, if anybody damages your car they’ll be on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There are some interesting responses to this thread… mostly missing a key point.

Ryan
    If the space is free when you happen to drive past park there and charge away. (I would not try to come to an agreement as he sounds like a right b&ll end).

The facts are the space is not his, he has not paid for it. It’s on a public high way and an EV charger has been placed adjacent to the space by the the local authority for residents to use, this was paid for by using taxes that you contribute to as a local resident. You the same right to park there and use the charger as anyone else.

He is unlikely to do anything to your car as you know where he lives and if it were me I would get some joy out of knowing he will be fuming at such a petty inconvenience. (But I can be a right b&ll end as well),

*I would point out the error of his ways and tell him where to park his car if he were if kick up a fuss (likely up his fundament).
    They're as bad as each other. It doesn't belong to either of them to come to any arrangement. Even with an arrangement a a third person could equally park there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Petition the highway agency to install chargers in lampposts in your development?
    A proactive positive approach like this has surely got to be favourable than trying to get one over on the guy to make yourself feel better (as a number of posts are suggesting).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They're as bad as each other. It doesn't belong to either of them to come to any arrangement. Even with an arrangement a a third person could equally park there.
    Correct.

Ryan

The facts are, the space is not his, he has not paid for it. It’s on a public high way and an EV charger has been placed adjacent to the space by the the local authority for residents to use, this was paid for by using taxes that you contribute to as a local resident. You have the same right to park there and use the charger as anyone else.

*I would point out the error of his ways and tell him where to park his car, if he were if kick up a fuss (likely up his fundament). This is unlikely though he has no recourse to complain or moan.
    I think the guy does have some right to park there though as it sounds like he is parking outside his development/home and paying his £90, Ryan wants to pay £90 to park and charge on this development even though he does not live there, yes its a public highway but parking sounds like its permit only which you pay for as in the £90 so just rocking up and parking and charging will surely lead to clamping or a fine??

Joys of London living ehh..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I think the guy does have some right to park there though as it sounds like he is parking outside his development/home and paying his £90, Ryan wants to pay £90 to park and charge on this development even though he does not live there, yes its a public highway but parking sounds like its permit only which you pay for as in the £90 so just rocking up and parking and charging will surely lead to clamping or a fine??

Joys of London living ehh..
    That is not how I read the initial post.
    The space is on a street, and mostly occupied by the resident who lives in the house closest to the space.
    Maybe Ryan can clarify?
    But you are correct the joys of living in London…
    I can’t even park outside my house as the spaces are for pay and display only. This is really handy as we live 100 yards from a Tube station and they are constantly filled with people popping to the tube, popping to the local high street, or police cars full of coppers going to the local Costa (I kid you not, you would think my house was an embassy with the amount of police sitting outside during opening hours).
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th October 2021 at 09:47.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    6 figure salary complaining bout parking fees, living the dream.
    six figure salary and no drive!

Slightly OT but where does anyone w/o drive take their car for a spin?

That is not how I read the initial post.
    The space is on a street, and mostly occupied by the resident who lives in the house closest to the space.
    Maybe Ryan can clarify?
    But you are correct the joys of living in London…
    I can’t even park outside my house as the spaces are for pay and display only. This is really handy as we live 100 yards from a Tube station and they are constantly filled with people popping to the tube, popping to the local high street, or police cars full of coppers going to the local Costa (I kid you not, you would think my house was an embassy with the amount of police sitting outside during opening hours).
    To clarify I pay £90 a month to park in a private residential area. It is cheaper than the £300 a month my own residence wants . Neither have chargers.

I can pay also a fee of around £70 or so a year to get a residents permit and park wherever I want in the residential streets. I am assuming the guy pays the same. This enables us both to park wherever we want in aforementioned streets. It doesn't provide a designated space. One of these spaces has an EV charging slot. I could argue that he is selfishly parking his ICE car in said slot thereby depriving any local EV driver of a charging space. He has many other places he can park. EV drivers don't have many other local places to slow charge conveniently which is necessary occasionally to prolong life of battery.

Out of courtesy I asked the guy when might be most convenient to use the space he is parked in but that any other resident with aforementioned residents permit could use. My mistake was to be courteous.

Hope that clarifies.

Anyway it doesn't matter too much as the Tesla has a ton of range and plenty of high speed chargers within a 3 mile radius (at least 10) but really I initially asked the question on the thread more out of curiosity as to what etiquette is in these situations.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 19th October 2021 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    six figure salary and no drive!
    That's the thing about apartments - they tend to not have their own drive.

did not realise there was some sort of etiquette for parking in public

is it private i.e a driveway - parking in here may cause the owner to become irritated
    it is public - park whereever you want

the above 2 rules have always served me fine

Ryan,if you're worried about your Tesla getting keyed, the culprit would most likely be caught on camera thanks to the Sentry system.... https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/sen...ing-your-tesla

Journeyman
    I can pay also a fee of around £70 or so a year to get a residents permit and park wherever I want in the residential streets. I am assuming the guy pays the same. This enables us both to park wherever we want in aforementioned streets.
    Do you pay the £70 or can you only currently park there because you have a blue badge?

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    Do you pay the £70 or can you only currently park there because you have a blue badge?
    I pay the £70. The Blue Badge allows me to park on double yellows or in disabled slots if my son is with us which was handy for the school run but now he gets picked up and dropped off home from his new school by a special school bus service so it is less important.

Journeyman
    I guess it’s whoever gets in the space first then unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    I pay the £70. The Blue Badge allows me to park on double yellows or in disabled slots if my son is with us which was handy for the school run but now he gets picked up and dropped off home from his new school by a special school bus service so it is less important.
    You obviously forgot to mention that earlier…

…….

Anyway I noticed one of these outside a property nearby and the space was occupied by a diesel car (no issue with this as the space is reserved for permit holders not EVs only. I can park there due to having a Blue Badge for my son).Anyway I saw the owner of the car and asked him if he parks there often and he said yes as it is outside his house. I informed him I'd like to use the charger maybe once a week and was flexible as to what day that was and could he suggest a convenient time where he would park his car in a different spot.

……

Why do you pay the £70 for on street parking when you have your own space?
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 19th October 2021 at 12:29.

To clarify I pay £90 a month to park in a private residential area. It is cheaper than the £300 a month my own residence wants . Neither have chargers.

I can pay also a fee of around £70 or so a year to get a residents permit and park wherever I want in the residential streets. I am assuming the guy pays the same. This enables us both to park wherever we want in aforementioned streets. It doesn't provide a designated space.

Out of courtesy I asked the guy when might be most convenient to use the space he is parked in but that any other resident with aforementioned residents permit could use. My mistake was to be courteous.

Hope that clarifies
    That’s what I thought.
    You need to pay for a residents permit but like most of London that does not guarantee him or you a parking space. As such it’s open for anyone to park there.
    As I said park there charge away and ignore him.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th October 2021 at 10:28.

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    I guess it’s whoever gets in the space first then unfortunately.
    Thats about it really, if you all pay the same and have the same locations to park then its a free for all, its unlucky for this chap that the charging port is outside his property because if you dont use it then surely someone else will with the amount of cars changing to EV especially in London..

so just pay the £70 residents parking and park next the EV points when/if they become free. First come first served just like for parking spaces. No need to ask for an arrangement which won’t work in practice anyway.
    Sounds like you need more EV points your side regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyway what we will do is put a polite notice on his windscreen, photograph it, send it to the council to ask them to enforce EV spaces for EV cars only.
    If I had a note on my car from some bloke who won't let it lie I would make a point of making the charging point.... ahem... "unusable".
    Last edited by Man of Kent; 19th October 2021 at 11:04.

If nothing else, this demonstrates how EVs aren't currently practical for everyone.

If I was going to get an EV, the first thing I'd check was that I could charge the thing conveniently, whenever it required it.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Thats about it really, if you all pay the same and have the same locations to park then its a free for all, its unlucky for this chap that the charging port is outside his property because if you dont use it then surely someone else will with the amount of cars changing to EV especially in London..
    I thought the etiquette with charging bays - was that you charge and get out. Otherwise - the best you can achieve, is that one car gets charged each day, to the exclusion of others. The worst case, is what is described here - that no-one gets their EV charged, because someone decides that the bay directly outside their house...... is theirs exclusively.

I understand that some charging stations - start to apply a penalty for leaving your EV on a charging station beyond a certain threshold after full-charge. (That might be Tesla - not sure)

You can also buy fake charge sockets to stick to your ICE car, to “allow” use of charging-station bays.

Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I thought the etiquette with charging bays - was that you charge and get out.
    That depends on the charger; rapid chargers should be no more than thirty minutes or so whilst destination, slow chargers are really only dependant on the driver or the time allowed in the car park.

For example, if you’re in a multi storey and stay all day, that’s fine, whilst charging at a Tesco, you’re limited to their three hour parking rule.

The lamp post chargers are for charging whilst you’re parked up and can be all day and night AFAIK as they’re only as fast as a three pin plug b
    Last edited by Dave+63; 19th October 2021 at 11:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That depends on the charger; rapid chargers should be no more than thirty minutes or so whilst destination, slow chargers are really only dependant on the driver or the time allowed in the car park.

For example, if you’re in a multi storey and stay all day, that’s fine, whilst charging at a Tesco, you’re limited to their three hour parking rule.

The lamp post chargers are for charging whilst you’re parked up and can be all day and night AFAIK as they’re only as fast as a three pin plug b
    Ah-yes. A useful clarification, thanks.

That's the thing about apartments - they tend to not have their own drive.

Funny how a six figure salary changes a flat into an apartment.

What I don't understand is why the council allow residents in flats to buy permits when there is available parking on their development. Surely when the flats were built a planning issue would have been impact on existing residents which would have been solved by the provision of spaces.

The only long term solution to this is provision of charging bays on the development, something to raise with the management company I would have thought.

Master
    £300 per month for the privilege of parking your car in the development you bought a home in? And that’s presumably on top of steep factoring/service costs. Ouch! Whatever happened to buying a flat in a development and getting a parking space as part of the deal?

Stranger...."Excuse me, would you mind not parking conveniently outside your house so that I can park there?"

Me.... "**** off".
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    What I don't understand is why the council allow residents in flats to buy permits when there is available parking on their development.
    Council revenue stream?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Council revenue stream?

I guess, its a bit of a con though, would they have passed planning on the development without parking spaces?

Then they do nothing to encourage their use.

It does appear that you’ve bought a car that isn’t suitable for your needs and are passing that problem onto someone else.

I would approach your management company and ask them to install chargers within your complex.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Stranger...."Excuse me, would you mind not parking conveniently outside your house so that I can park there?"

Me.... "**** off".
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    It does appear that you’ve bought a car that isn’t suitable for your needs and are passing that problem onto someone else.
    Wouldn't agree with that. Unless Ryan is asking to charge his car on someone's driveway using their charger it's a free for all.

Ryan is entitled to any empty space on a first come first serve basis. Same as anyone else with the same permit.

I would approach your management company and ask them to install chargers within your complex.
    No the car is fine. No issues I have alternatives the question was around the etiquette involved. No regrets on the car whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wouldn't agree with that. Unless Ryan is asking to charge his car on someone's driveway using their charger it's a free for all.

Ryan is entitled to any empty space on a first come first serve basis. Same as anyone else with the same permit.
    I took it as he was asking to use the space at set times of the day/week and if the other guy could park somewhere else at those times. I would be annoyed if I was approached in this way.

Obviously no one has any more right to the space but the issue is caused my Ryan’s choice of car and having nowhere suitable to charge it within his complex.

I took it as he was asking to use the space at set times of the day/week and if the other guy could park somewhere else at those times. I would be annoyed if I was approached in this way.

Obviously no one has any more right to the space but the issue is caused my Ryan’s choice of car and having nowhere suitable to charge it within his complex.
    Agree, shouldn't have asked the guy anything. Just treat it like the free for all it is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Me.... "**** off".

Just about puts the issue to bed

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agree, shouldn't have asked the guy anything. Just treat it like the free for all it is.
    Hopefully nobody marks it as a good choice of charger on Zapmap else it would get super busy.....

Hopefully nobody marks it as a good choice of charger on Zapmap else it would get super busy.....
    It’s way too slow for that!