closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

I'm taking delivery of a Tesla next month and I won't be availing of our development's own parking at £300 a month but park about 30 yards away in another development for £90 per month. Whilst there are a load of fast chargers around there are also some slower chargers in nearby streets in the lampposts.

Anyway I noticed one of these outside a property nearby and the space was occupied by a diesel car (no issue with this as the space is reserved for permit holders not EVs only. I can park there due to having a Blue Badge for my son). Anyway I saw the owner of the car and asked him if he parks there often and he said yes as it is outside his house. I informed him I'd like to use the charger maybe once a week and was flexible as to what day that was and could he suggest a convenient time where he would park his car in a different spot.

At that point he got quite agitated saying it was 'his spot'. I didn't want to get into a row as of course it is anyone's spot if they have the right to park there and so I'll just find another spot as I don't fancy coming back to a keyed car.

What would you say is etiquette in these situations? Bit stupid of the council to make EV chargers available but then allow any car to park there so I guess that was the trigger but also surely people in urban areas without driveways understand they don't have a right to a particular parking spot?

Craftsman
    I don't think there is an etiquette and any spot is fair game on a strip of road. However good luck convincing someone who thinks a particular spot is 'their spot' otherwise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The council should designate the space for an EV after all they put a charger there

Leave it, it’s outside his house and whatever you have said has annoyed him (doesn’t matter if that was your intention or not) other people can come along and quote the law until the cows come home only you have to live there and deal with someone every day who you have cheesed off.

Second option is to simply say “Sorry for any misunderstanding I realise it’s your spot is there any time convenient I can park here?” Chances are you will get a positive response. Quoting law or “doing what you want” is just going to make matters worse.

Depending on how far away it is, you could always suggest he uses your parking spot on the days that you are charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Depending on how far away it is, you could always suggest he uses your parking spot on the days that you are charging.
    Sounds like the most sensible solution

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah, sounds like his neighbours don't park there either because it's 'his' spot - aka a passive aggressive who gets his own way because people accede to his tantrums. Simple solution- if the space is empty then park there but that said I'm surprised you thought a stranger would be accommodating in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    At that point he got quite agitated saying it was 'his spot'.
    Exactly then is when I would have told him to grow up and threatened to buy a £500 banger and park it that space for a year. Similar thing happened at my mum's and after I made that threat I wasn't blocked in again.

This is the problem, you gave him an inch and he tried to take a mile.

Grand Master

Arrow

Can’t see how parking places can be designated for electric vehicles only.

Owning an electric vehicle without your own off- road parking space and charger seems flawed to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Owning an electric vehicle without your own off- road parking space and charger seems flawed to me.
    Been in many public car parks lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    unless i’ve misunderstood OP says he won’t be parking on his own development as it costs too much so can’t see how this chap can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Blue Badge is for your son, is there a risk you could be deemed to be abusing the Blue Badge scheme by deliberately parking away from your home solely to take advantage of a charging point in a permit holder zone?

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is an unwritten rule that the bit of road outside your door belongs to you. Woe betide the man who messes with that!

One of my old neighbours objected to me parking in a nearby cul-de-sac when my drive was being done. For reference, he lived on the main road two houses away and I’d parked along side someone’s garden fence rather than in front of a house - something I always do.
    He informed me that I was wrong and that the parking there was only for the use of those who lived in the road or right next to it. I explained that it was only temporary (were talking two days max) and that it wasn’t a private road, I’d paid tax and insurance and I’d parked as courteously as I could.
    He said he’d be calling the council. So I moved it. To the kerb right outside his house. And left it there for about a month. He eventually apologised.

Master
    Seems like a right hassle, I’d pay for parking in my own development if you can afford it. Life’s already complicated enough.

The guys an A*** but being an A*** certainly means he’s capable of doing something to your car.

Also what’s the etiquette of using a blue badge when the designated person isn’t going to be arriving or leaving in the car? To keep routine surely it’s better for ASC child not to be parking haphazardly and having a designated spot. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It’s quite straightforward. What you do is you paint a white box on the road, label it ‘EV only’ or something similar and stick a sign on a post reiterating said point. The bonus is you can also fine non EV cars for parking there…everyone’s a winner.

Master
    Playing musical cars with strangers won’t work imo. Maybe try and catch him again on a good day but what’s to stop some other numpty jumping in on the action.
    Could get another car and park it there out of spite? If you can’t use it then no one can!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I don't think there is an etiquette and any spot is fair game on a strip of road. However good luck convincing someone who thinks a particular spot is 'their spot' otherwise.
    Ordinarily I would agree 100% with you. But from the OP's opening statement there are charges to be paid to park, so it's not public parking even if spots aren't allocated to individual properties.
    Also I'd be pretty miffed if people from what sounds like the more expensive development expect to be able to clog the streets of mine to save a few quid.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    If the Blue Badge is for your son, is there a risk you could be deemed to be abusing the Blue Badge scheme by deliberately parking away from your home solely to take advantage of a charging point in a permit holder zone?
    This my Wife has a blue badge and i will not under any circumstances use it unless she is with me in the car especially in i presume a paid for by the residents zone? if the badge is deemed to be misused you could be both fined heavily and lose the badge.
    Just pay if your flat has resident charging.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Exactly then is when I would have told him to grow up and threatened to buy a £500 banger and park it that space for a year. Similar thing happened at my mum's and after I made that threat I wasn't blocked in again.

I’ve said in the past, that if a neighbour tried to fcuk me over, If his house came up for sale - I’d shell out for the rattiest old icecream van, and park it in my driveway. Reckon it would knock £thousands£ off his house value, and that £500 investment could eventually turn into a £5,000 sale.

(my testing of the Colonel Bogie chimes every Saturday morning - might swing it)

Saw someone try that a few years back, they just bumped his car up the road.

He may well be a **** but being an even bigger **** isn’t the solution unless you like years of grief

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Seems like a right hassle, I’d pay for parking in my own development if you can afford it. Life’s already complicated enough.

The guys an A*** but being an A*** certainly means he’s capable of doing something to your car.

Also what’s the etiquette of using a blue badge when the designated person isn’t going to be arriving or leaving in the car? To keep routine surely it’s better for ASC child not to be parking haphazardly and having a designated spot. Good luck
    Yeah I would do if my own development had electric charging but it doesn't and I begrudge the greedy barstewards asking £300 when the flats next door sell their slots for £90.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is no drama as there are a bunch of public chargers nearby but I fancied doing the occasional slow charge to 100% to keep the battery in tip top shape. I think a local Tesco has free ones so I might just use that once in a while.

Master

I would get onto the council and ask them to make it for EVs only. Pointless putting in a charging point and allowing ICE cars to park there. There are 3 such chargers in mine and the neighbouring roads and they are all clearly marked for EVs only.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    No that was ill stated from me what i meant by Blue Badge is I can part anywhere but as it happens I also have a residents parking permit from the council which entitles me to park there also. I just meant that with Blue Badge there is no argument- I could park wherever but in this case the space is for residents and I qualify on that basis also
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th October 2021 at 20:28.

park about 30 yards away in another development
    Buy a 30 yard extension lead?

What Telsa model have you ordered?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

I don’t the the other guy’s being an arse. He’s paying £90 for parking, and there’s a spot outside his door, I’d make claim to it too if I was in that position, and be pissed if someone who doesn’t even live in the development wants to park their motor there instead. I doubt the bloke asked for an electric charge point to be fitted outside his pad either.

Agree with avoiding hassle though, I’d stick with fossil fuels until you can charge a car up on your own driveway.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had the same white BMW park in front of the dropped curb on my driveway…. I think they know that I don’t tend to put my car in my garage, but, that’s a bloody liberty in my book!

[

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I would get onto the council and ask them to make it for EVs only. Pointless putting in a charging point and allowing ICE cars to park there. There are 3 such chargers in mine and the neighbouring roads and they are all clearly marked for EVs only.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Why do that though? So the council mark it outside his house and he cant park there anymore you think thats going to go down well with him as a neighbour? Half the time I dont think the council think it through where they are putting these things up I have seen cycle lanes on residential streets without a thought where the residents are supposed to park their cars. I would rather just go to the local tescos and have good neighbour relations than wind people up and have years of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don’t the the other guy’s being an arse. He’s paying £90 for parking, and there’s a spot outside his door, I’d make claim to it too if I was in that position, and be pissed if someone who doesn’t even live in the development wants to park their motor there instead. I doubt the bloke asked for an electric charge point to be fitted outside his pad either.

Agree with avoiding hassle though, I’d stick with fossil fuels until you can charge a car up on your own driveway.
    Kind of see the point but most people in London won't have their own driveway so this problem will only get bigger over time

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Kent's nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    What Telsa model have you ordered?
    Model 3

Model 3
    Nice, standard or long range?

Nice, standard or long range?
    I went LR at first and because of an issue with the lease company and my application (due to a remortgage and another PCP purchase which I will cancel the 'computer said no') the approval went to underwriter and by the time it got approved the LR price had gone up quite a bit so I went for SR+ as I'd rarely need the extra range and would always stop after a few hours driving anyway. Shame as the LR was only £15 a month more than SR+ when I applied which made it a no brainer but then went up to be £100 a month more and at that point I stuck with the basic poverty spec model:)

People are hilarious about 'their' parking spaces. We often have to park way up the street because it's rammed, sometimes with about 10 Skodas from the dealer down the road, but it's just how it is.

There's a bloke opposite us who made a massive point of tutting and shaking his head when I parked in 'his' space on Saturday. I left an hour later and he immediately moved his car, which was only over the road anyway, to fill the gap.

Then on Sunday I couldn't believe my luck when 'his' space was free again, so I parked there and it will be there until Saturday, when we can start round 2

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Then on Sunday I couldn't believe my luck when 'his' space was free again, so I parked there and it will be there until Saturday, when we can start round 2
    Must be a London thing

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Must be a London thing
    Narrow terrace streets, parking permits only, except Sundays when it's a free for all, so you take whatever you can get, and if it happens to be a space some knob-end thinks he owns, then all the better.

Probably happens in Liverpool as well, Nathan.

I went LR at first and because of an issue with the lease company and my application (due to a remortgage and another PCP purchase which I will cancel the 'computer said no') the approval went to underwriter and by the time it got approved the LR price had gone up quite a bit so I went for SR+ as I'd rarely need the extra range and would always stop after a few hours driving anyway. Shame as the LR was only £15 a month more than SR+ when I applied which made it a no brainer but then went up to be £100 a month more and at that point I stuck with the basic poverty spec model:)
    I've gone for the standard one too. Standard wheels and will rip the hub caps off. Looks like the delivery date for new standard orders now is Feb 2022.

Shame the white interior is an extra. You can unlock the heated steering wheel and rear seats via an in app purchase. Deletes when you sell/hand back the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Narrow terrace streets, parking permits only, except Sundays when it's a free for all, so you take whatever you can get, and if it happens to be a space some knob-end thinks he owns, then all the better.

Probably happens in Liverpool as well, Nathan.
    And fat lumps like me parked up eating kebabs and burgers in the car with the sunroof open and heated seats on to not stink the car.

Master

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is no drama as there are a bunch of public chargers nearby but I fancied doing the occasional slow charge to 100% to keep the battery in tip top shape. I think a local Tesco has free ones so I might just use that once in a while.
    This is not the done thing though Ryan. Tesco chargers are there for Tesco customers. The idea behind them is an hour or so charge while you are shopping. Not for someone to pop their car on charge and leave it there because it’s “free”

Blog Entries
    I'm taking delivery of a Tesla next month and I won't be availing of our development's own parking at £300 a month but park about 30 yards away in another development for £90 per month. Whilst there are a load of fast chargers around there are also some slower chargers in nearby streets in the lampposts.

Anyway I noticed one of these outside a property nearby and the space was occupied by a diesel car (no issue with this as the space is reserved for permit holders not EVs only. I can park there due to having a Blue Badge for my son). Anyway I saw the owner of the car and asked him if he parks there often and he said yes as it is outside his house. I informed him I'd like to use the charger maybe once a week and was flexible as to what day that was and could he suggest a convenient time where he would park his car in a different spot.

At that point he got quite agitated saying it was 'his spot'. I didn't want to get into a row as of course it is anyone's spot if they have the right to park there and so I'll just find another spot as I don't fancy coming back to a keyed car.

What would you say is etiquette in these situations? Bit stupid of the council to make EV chargers available but then allow any car to park there so I guess that was the trigger but also surely people in urban areas without driveways understand they don't have a right to a particular parking spot?
    If someone asked you if they could park in your space a couple of days a week, and you could park in their space a couple of streets away, to help them out, would you oblige?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If someone asked you if they could park in your space a couple of days a week, and you could park in their space a couple of streets away, to help them out, would you oblige?
    Isn't their space though

Craftsman
    What's that other discussion called now ... "EVs must be a practical proposition now" or something ?

And fat lumps like me parked up eating kebabs and burgers in the car with the sunroof open and heated seats on to not stink the car.
    That was you? Whopper

Blog Entries
    Isn't their space though
    It was a hypothetical question. Just wondered if you would. Obviously not.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Agree with this.

Craftsman

It’s fair to ask out of courtesy, but it just feels like you’’re imposing your problem onto the guy, and there many more scenarios like this to come from others...

Nothing personal, but put yourself into the opposite position.

Frankly I wouldn’t currently consider an electric car without a driveway and a home charger - are there really that many chargers laying around unused in the Kingston area? As electric cars in urban areas proliferate there needs to be a viable solution but it beats me how it will work tbh?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy claiming ownership to the parking space needs to understand that while he could damage your car in a tit for tat, you know where he lives!

Thats why road rage is not wise, if you get followed home they can return anytime they like to exact revenge and you have no idea who they are or where you live - but they do..

Paying £90 a month to park on someone else's street and then buying an electric car doesn't give you the right to expect someone to move their car from outside their own house for you benefit so that you can save £210 a month

Stop acting so entitled

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Paying £90 a month to park on someone else's street and then buying an electric car doesn't give you the right to expect someone to move their car from outside their own house for you benefit so that you can save £210 a month

Stop acting so entitled
    The £210 a month saving is irrelevant as even if I paid that (£300) there is no charging so the point is moot. If there was charging in our Underground car park I'd probably swallow the cost for convenience but there is not.

The fees residents pay to park in the area as a whole entitle them to park in the area not a single designated slot. He has no more right to park outside his home than anyone else with a residents parking permit. He owns his house not the pavement and road space outside.

Anyway what we will do is put a polite notice on his windscreen, photograph it, send it to the council to ask them to enforce EV spaces for EV cars only (or at least provide markings). Would be good if they would do that for the greater good anyway as there are tons of Teslas and Ipaces parked on the streets anyway.

BTW there are parking spaces 3 metres to the front and the back of where the guy has parked so plenty of space on the road - it isn't like we are forcing him to park in another street.