closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

Whoever it was who mentioned someone parking over the dropped curb outside their house: call the council and they can issue a parking fine. Just be aware that you can't park where there's a dropped curb either, even if it's your own drive.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    What I don't understand is why the council allow residents in flats to buy permits when there is available parking on their development.
    I could take an educated guess.....

I can't see why anyone would buy an electric car without their own means of charging it on their own property.

Seems like a whole world of hassle to me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Whoever it was who mentioned someone parking over the dropped curb outside their house: call the council and they can issue a parking fine. Just be aware that you can't park where there's a dropped curb either, even if it's your own drive.
    Not where I live, we have issues with this in our street, neither the council or police are remotely interested and both state they are powerless to do anything about it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Not where I live, we have issues with this in our street, neither the council or police are remotely interested and both state they are powerless to do anything about it.

Unless it's a private street it's something they can cover with a Penalty Charge Notice. I can't believe they're turning down free money!
    "A man of little significance"

I can't believe they're turning down free money!
    Bit of a tangent but I can't understand why plod doesn't crack down on illegally spaced and/or presented number plates. They are absolutely everywhere and would be an easy way of raising revenue (unless I'm missing something).

The problem with putting in dropped curbs for people to then park on their (former) front garden is it permanently removes a parking space that was previously available for all. Yes the owner may then sometimes be parking on their (new) drive and thus not taking ip a street space but whenever they are away that space is vacant AND the space on the street is still unavailable.

I would certainly never do it on a road with parking.

(And that’s without considering the adverse impact on drainage that this happening on a large scale causes.)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ryan, have you ever considered employing someone to manage your PR?
    Now that would be a job which would command a six-figure salary...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Bit of a tangent but I can't understand why plod doesn't crack down on illegally spaced and/or presented number plates. They are absolutely everywhere and would be an easy way of raising revenue (unless I'm missing something).
    Maybe because raising revenue is not the motivating factor for police doing their job? (Nor would they be able to even if they wanted, as money goes to a central government fund for road safety)

The purpose of a number plate is to identify the vehicle. However naff someone’s “private plate” is with mis-spaced characters, provided it can be read it’s fulfilling its purpose.

Be careful what you wish for. Craving the law coming down like a ton of bricks on the equivalent of someone stepping on the cracks in the pavement wouldn’t be conductor to the sort of society I’d want to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The purpose of a number plate is to identify the vehicle. However naff someone’s “private plate” is with mis-spaced characters, provided it can be read it’s fulfilling its purpose.

Be careful what you wish for. Craving the law coming down like a ton of bricks on the equivalent of someone stepping on the cracks in the pavement wouldn’t be conductor to the sort of society I’d want to live in.
    The point is many can't be read and are woefully ambiguous. The offender knows they're doing something illegal because the plate won't pass an MOT. Is it a 1, a 7 or a 9??? Etc etc etc. I've seen all sorts. Don't think ANCRs can pick them up either.

I've been stopped by the police a few times and I have had an illegally spaced number plate for ten years at least. It was never mentioned in any stop.

I'm also baffled why anyone would by an electric car without the home means to charge it?
    Last edited by manganr; 19th October 2021 at 16:55.

Blog Entries
    The point is many can't be read and are woefully ambiguous. The offender knows they're doing something illegal because the plate won't pass an MOT. Is it a 1, a 7 or a 9??? Etc etc etc. I've seen all sorts. Don't think ANCRs can pick them up either.
    I think the point is that ANPR cameras fitted to police cars, and on many roads, can't read them properly. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'll let others decide for themselves.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I can't see why anyone would buy an electric car without their own means of charging it on their own property.

Seems like a whole world of hassle to me.
    +1
    I have my own drive and charging point wouldn’t have dreamed of getting my plug in hybrid without it

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    +1
    I have my own drive and charging point wouldn’t have dreamed of getting my plug in hybrid without it
    Are you suggesting that ICE will remain for all those who do not own a parking space? It seems to me that none of the existing spaces comes with its petrol dispenser and that doesn't seem to have hampered their proliferation.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Christ on a bike,

first off i agree, owning an EV without your own charger is a no go for me, but leave that aside.

Ryans only mistake was asking the guy, he has no more of a right to that space than anyone else, so if its free park in it, if it isnt find somewhere else to park, its simple. By engaging with him its inferring he has it in his gift to accommodate you or give permission, he doesnt so suit yourself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Are you suggesting that ICE will remain for all those who do not own a parking space? It seems to me that none of the existing spaces comes with its petrol dispenser and that doesn't seem to have hampered their proliferation.
    I doubt it but I would be interested to see how home charging will be rolled out for all, as for petrol dispensers it only takes 5 mins to fill up then drive home I wouldn’t fancy having to wait somewhere for my car to charge before I come home that’s why I have a home charger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    ICE IMO will remain for the majority as the lack of parking spaces combined with charging points is and will remain a major issue as to petrol dispensers went to one today called Tesco was in and out in a few minutes no need for a tank under the drive or pump on the wall
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Blog Entries
    One of my friends is a Police Inspector ... he says they simply don't have the resources for dealing with matters like this; he says the ANPR computer in the office is pinging all day mainly reporting uninsured cars ... they don't do anything as they don't have the resources to issue the proceedings ...

Craftsman
    Unless it's a private street it's something they can cover with a Penalty Charge Notice. I can't believe they're turning down free money!
    I wish it was that simple,we have one inconsiderate neighbour who causes chaos by parking opposite the turning bay across a dropped kerb for 2 driveway entrance... it makes turning around in a tight cul de sac extremely difficult.. I have approached both the council and police and both refer me to the other because they have no powers to deal with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    ICE IMO will remain for the majority as the lack of parking spaces combined with charging points is and will remain a major issue as to petrol dispensers went to one today called Tesco was in and out in a few minutes no need for a tank under the drive or pump on the wall
    Memories are short sometimes aren’t they! :-)

Wasn’t that long ago people couldn’t get fuel or were queuing for hours.

Every car in the country parks somewhere for at least part of the night/day, the challenge is to get public charging there for those where it doesn’t happen on private driveways.

Gridserve (and Shell as well) are building ‘electric fuel stations’ where you’ll be able to rapid charge an EV like you’d use a petrol station.

I agree that ICE vehicles are with us for many years yet, I don’t think it was ever the plan to move to EVs overnight and I’m sceptical that LGVs/HGVs ever will, I think that’s the role for Hydrogen.

The answer to almost any EV related problem is ‘more chargers’, if Kingston had more on street charging spots then Ryan wouldn’t be having to think of stuff like this.

A quick charge at a Tesla SC is all that’s required anyway, the car will look after the battery and the lease company will catch a cold if it doesn’t, not Ryan.

Blog Entries
    “ Memories are short sometimes aren’t they! :-)

Wasn’t that long ago people couldn’t get fuel or were queuing for hours. ”

No short memory quite aware of the huge problems just a few days ago and if you have a need to charge and we have a power outage also a huge problem.
    The whole issue is huge and the way forward needs very careful thinking and planning personally all IMO politicians offer are soundbites.
    I personally drive a self charging hybrid but if i would buy a EV if could not charge it on my own property.
    Last edited by mart broad; 19th October 2021 at 19:27.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    “ Memories are short sometimes aren’t they! :-)

Wasn’t that long ago people couldn’t get fuel or were queuing for hours. ”

No short memory quite aware of the huge problems just a few days ago and if you have a need to charge and we have a power outage also a huge problem.
    The whole issue is huge and the way forward needs very careful thinking and planning personally all IMO politicians offer are soundbites.
    I personally drive a self charging hybrid but if i would buy a EV if could not charge it on my own property.
    Power outages are rarely long, and if I can’t charge my EV for a few days, then we’ve got much bigger problems to worry about above whether I can get to work or not.

Nothing will change until it does, approx 30-40% of people who don’t have off street parking will need a solution to charge their electric cars.

People like Ryan should be encouraged, not told they’ve brought the wrong sort of car, and I’m sure he’ll have no problem keeping mobile using the public or Tesla charging network.

What you are missing is the cost of the fine would most likely be negative in comparison to the cost of the work involved, police officer stopping cars on the public highway, going through details with the owner, writing the ticket, admin checking and issuing the notice - the list goes on and for what a number plate that is illegally spaced, its worth the hassle for speeding as the overall summons is to punish/educate the offence and hopefully make the roads safer.

Annoying as some plates are the police have far better things to do with their time and the public money.

Far too many comments to read back, I am sure it has been covered. Sounds like you have bought a nice car Ryan but you are being a phallus if you ask me. Alternatively, you are trolling, not sure.

Grand Master
    Feeling very smug reading all this crap about on- street parking and not having a driveway, I couldn't tolerate that.

My humble abode in a small down to earth northern town has an 80 foot garden at the back and an 80 foot drive at the front that’s 12’ wide.........I could park 5 cars and install 3 charging points plus one in the garage!

If I was still driving to work and back (40 mile round trip) I’d be seriously considering an electric vehicle, but for my current situation the outlay can't be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Now that would be a job which would command a six-figure salary...
    ...and might turn out to be worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Far too many comments to read back, I am sure it has been covered. Sounds like you have bought a nice car Ryan but you are being a phallus if you ask me. Alternatively, you are trolling, not sure.
    Who knows - maybe Mr “that’s my personal space” has neighbours who would be quite glad of a line in the sand being drawn by someone else?

Sometimes ‘parking-space warriors’ only succeed because their neighbours don’t apply the ‘letter of the law’, but just accept it because they don’t like conflict.

Look at the ‘boundary fence’ thread and the contributors who advocated ‘negotiation’ ..............

Ha!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Annoying as some plates are the police have far better things to do with their time and the public money.
    The answer is much larger fines then and use the 'profit' to tackle more serious crime. Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    The answer is much larger fines then and use the 'profit' to tackle more serious crime. Win win.
    Agree, but it has to go up the ladder in order of offence, a £500 fine for a joined up plate with weird screw positions would mean speeding has to be in the £1000+ as would using your phone while driving plus points, there has to be a balance to the fine versus the offence..

Anyway we're way off topic here, back to Ryan's parking dilemma!

Master
    Anyway we're way off topic here, back to Ryan's parking dilemma!
    Haha, I think he's probably had enough feedback!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I’ve said in the past, that if a neighbour tried to fcuk me over, If his house came up for sale - I’d shell out for the rattiest old icecream van, and park it in my driveway. Reckon it would knock £thousands£ off his house value, and that £500 investment could eventually turn into a £5,000 sale.

(my testing of the Colonel Bogie chimes every Saturday morning - might swing it)
    my neighbours been parking his works vans and equipment (opposite side of the road) on the roadside directly along our property for years. But didn’t stop us selling up. Now he’s miffed we made a killing selling to developers but they didn’t want his house.

works both ways - what goes around comes around…

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    EV driver here; yes, it’s certainly the most convenient arrangement to have a fast (i.e. 7.4kW) charger at home to be able to charge the car when it’s sat doing nothing, it’s doable to run an EV without it.

If work has charge points, you’ll get a nice long charge in when there (assuming offices are a thing for you now or post-pandemic).
    Friends of mine have managed fine for a year in a rented flat and chargers at work and other places they frequent.

The cafe for lunch tomorrow has two chargers; might get a space to use it, usually do and can add 30 miles or so whilst eating. If I can’t get the closest space, having a 10m cable in the boot means I might still be able to reach from a space to two away. Doesn’t take too much planning to get a little EV grazing in :)

Whilst EVs/PHEVs are becoming more popular (and as they do, I imagine the percentage of spaces provisioned with fast chargers will
    go up), I think where space is at a premium (such as small venues and on-street parking near the OP’s place), it’s probably going to be a source of friction to reserve a space near a charger as EV only.

As there are more EVs a) hopefully there’s more chance it’ll get used and not just be wasted space b) there’ll be more spots to charge at and hopefully c) more people will have experienced an EV and be a little more understanding than the OP’s grumpy neighbour. We can but hope, but there are always going to be folk weirdly possessive about “their” space (even if that’s a dangerous spot, my current bugbear with some my neighbours’ parking!)

For larger places (multi stories) and where there are rapid chargers, absolutely mark them out and enforce good etiquette from EV (no dawdling and don’t wait to get that last 5-10%, it takes forever if others need in) and non-EV (no parking!) drivers alike.

With a longer range car (mine will do 200-220 miles realistically) charging infrequently is fine for most weeks.
    I’d say:
    - look out for spots for a little dribble of a charge when you’re out and about
    - get a longer type 2 cable for awkward to reach chargers
    - have a look on ZapMap for options
    - possibly ask or look around for folk with a drive and charger that you might be able to come to an arrangement with

Charging to 100% generally isn’t necessary or desirable. The management systems are capable of keeping batteries balanced and also packs don’t like being held at a high state of charge. 80% should do most of the time.

Master
    Probably still time to ditch the Tesla idea
    Going out to one of those every morning would end me.
    Cashing in your chips right there.
    I can see the novelty factor but being tied in with a lease for 2-3 yrs would be heartbreaking.
    Surely the Polestar is a nicer option if going electric

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Probably still time to ditch the Tesla idea
    Going out to one of those every morning would end me.
    Cashing in your chips right there.
    I can see the novelty factor but being tied in with a lease for 2-3 yrs would be heartbreaking.
    Surely the Polestar is a nicer option if going electric

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I was impressed with the Polestar however a combination of the Supercharger network plus cracking lease deals on the Tesla swayed it. But Polestar had a nicer interior that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    The cafe for lunch tomorrow has two chargers; might get a space to use it, usually do and can add 30 miles or so whilst eating. If I can’t get the closest space, having a 10m cable in the boot means I might still be able to reach from a space to two away. Doesn’t take too much planning to get a little EV grazing in :)
    Who is liable if a member of the public trips over a 10m charging cable running to a car two spaces away and injures themself walking down the pavement in town? How does the EV owner flag this risk?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Who is liable if a member of the public trips over a 10m charging cable running to a car two spaces away and injures themself walking down the pavement in town? How does the EV owner flag this risk?
    Personally, I’d never run a cable across a pavement, but I think the poster meant connecting to a post charger in a car park, so the cable would be running from the car to that behind the cars parked adjacent?

Most slower destination charge posts only have two sockets, the only reason you’d need to run a long cable beyond the spaces adjacent to it is if somebody has parked blocking it.

Otherwise, I’d say people need to look where they’re walking same as any other scenario, Of course, visually impaired people are different, hence I don’t run a cable across pedestrian rights of way.

Most public charging I do is on Rapid chargers anyway, and I’m usually with the car for the short time that takes, and the cables are attached to the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Ryans only mistake was asking the guy, he has no more of a right to that space than anyone else, so if its free park in it, if it isnt find somewhere else to park, its simple. By engaging with him its inferring he has it in his gift to accommodate you or give permission, he doesnt so suit yourself.
    I rather agree with this - it's a public road (or at least, one where the spaces are equally available to Ryan and others), so no permission needed and if it's free, use it. Everyone with on-street parking on a public road knows full well that they don't "own" any of the spaces. Sure, it's nice and convenient to grab a space outside one's house if available, but sometimes they aren't.

TL/DR: wait till he goes somewhere and then park where you like.

A slightly different question regarding charging - For those home charging isn't it better to combine an EV car with solar panels, not only is your energy bills for home virtually zero but if you can charge your car in the day then powering the car goes to zero and carbon footprint would be drastically reduced.

Or would that be too much electricity for the panels to produce going on the back of a regular install?

Is there some sort of extention lead or adapter on the market to increase the range by a few meters so you can get around the problem of a parked car in the way

Install as many charging points as you like, but where's the money coming from for Joe Public to be able to afford these cars?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Install as many charging points as you like, but where's the money coming from for Joe Public to be able to afford these cars?
    Most people (not me) have accepted that an additional £300/£700pm is acceptable for car ownership..

Most people (not me) have accepted that an additional £300/£700pm is acceptable for car ownership..
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Link?
    Here you go

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Same as it does for anybody buying any new car?

There’s currently a boom in company owned EVs, a couple of years time that will prime the used stock of EVs for those who can’t or won’t buy now.

The Chinese will hit the UK market at some point as well, should bring prices down some more.

EV prices have remained high, but you’re getting bigger batteries for the same money than a few years back.

Thought not.

I paid to have the kerb dropped on a property I own. What pees me off is when people block pave or tarmac their front garden for parking but then don't get the kerb dropped. I park (legally) across their "drive" and trouble ensues.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The council should designate the space for an EV after all they put a charger there
    I think I've written this before, but it's typical of the poor planning for EVs generally.

For EV ownership you mean or just vs not having a car at all?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th October 2021 at 12:37.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The council should designate the space for an EV after all they put a charger there
    Would you be happy if you lost a space outside your house you couldn't use?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Is there some sort of extention lead or adapter on the market to increase the range by a few meters so you can get around the problem of a parked car in the way
    Adaptors/extensions on Type 2 charge cables don’t tend to play well due to the pilot signal required for comms between the electricity supply box/post and the cars on board charger.

There is at least one online seller doing them, but the other thing to consider is that anybody could then unplug the vehicle at the adaptor join and end your charge session. The plugs lock at the post/box end and also at the car socket. In theory, somebody could steal your original charge cable by unplugging at the adaptor and then taking the plug out of the box/post which unlock when the charge ends.

10m Type 2 cables aren’t that expensive, and safer than any adapter electrically and for theft reasons.