closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

Hybrid View

Homes without their own driveways - etiquette?

I'm taking delivery of a Tesla next month and I won't be availing of our development's own parking at £300 a month but park about 30 yards away in another development for £90 per month. Whilst there are a load of fast chargers around there are also some slower chargers in nearby streets in the lampposts.

Anyway I noticed one of these outside a property nearby and the space was occupied by a diesel car (no issue with this as the space is reserved for permit holders not EVs only. I can park there due to having a Blue Badge for my son). Anyway I saw the owner of the car and asked him if he parks there often and he said yes as it is outside his house. I informed him I'd like to use the charger maybe once a week and was flexible as to what day that was and could he suggest a convenient time where he would park his car in a different spot.

At that point he got quite agitated saying it was 'his spot'. I didn't want to get into a row as of course it is anyone's spot if they have the right to park there and so I'll just find another spot as I don't fancy coming back to a keyed car.

What would you say is etiquette in these situations? Bit stupid of the council to make EV chargers available but then allow any car to park there so I guess that was the trigger but also surely people in urban areas without driveways understand they don't have a right to a particular parking spot?

Craftsman
    I don't think there is an etiquette and any spot is fair game on a strip of road. However good luck convincing someone who thinks a particular spot is 'their spot' otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I don't think there is an etiquette and any spot is fair game on a strip of road. However good luck convincing someone who thinks a particular spot is 'their spot' otherwise.
    Ordinarily I would agree 100% with you. But from the OP's opening statement there are charges to be paid to park, so it's not public parking even if spots aren't allocated to individual properties.
    Also I'd be pretty miffed if people from what sounds like the more expensive development expect to be able to clog the streets of mine to save a few quid.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    The council should designate the space for an EV after all they put a charger there

Grand Master

Arrow

Can’t see how parking places can be designated for electric vehicles only.

Owning an electric vehicle without your own off- road parking space and charger seems flawed to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Owning an electric vehicle without your own off- road parking space and charger seems flawed to me.
    Been in many public car parks lately?

If the Blue Badge is for your son, is there a risk you could be deemed to be abusing the Blue Badge scheme by deliberately parking away from your home solely to take advantage of a charging point in a permit holder zone?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    If the Blue Badge is for your son, is there a risk you could be deemed to be abusing the Blue Badge scheme by deliberately parking away from your home solely to take advantage of a charging point in a permit holder zone?
    This my Wife has a blue badge and i will not under any circumstances use it unless she is with me in the car especially in i presume a paid for by the residents zone? if the badge is deemed to be misused you could be both fined heavily and lose the badge.
    Just pay if your flat has resident charging.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    No that was ill stated from me what i meant by Blue Badge is I can part anywhere but as it happens I also have a residents parking permit from the council which entitles me to park there also. I just meant that with Blue Badge there is no argument- I could park wherever but in this case the space is for residents and I qualify on that basis also
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th October 2021 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It’s quite straightforward. What you do is you paint a white box on the road, label it ‘EV only’ or something similar and stick a sign on a post reiterating said point. The bonus is you can also fine non EV cars for parking there…everyone’s a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The council should designate the space for an EV after all they put a charger there
    I think I've written this before, but it's typical of the poor planning for EVs generally.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Most people (not me) have accepted that an additional £300/£700pm is acceptable for car ownership..
    For EV ownership you mean or just vs not having a car at all?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th October 2021 at 12:37.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    For EV ownership you mean or just vs not having a car at all?

M
    For EV ownership and cars in general, people are conditioned now to accept that spending £20/30/40K+ of savings on a new car is not the way to go about owning a new car, nearly every new car sold in the UK to a private owner will be under a PCP/finance set up.

Some of us still buy used from private adverts but even used cars are going back out on the roads under a loan or finance..

For EV ownership and cars in general, people are conditioned now to accept that spending £20/30/40K+ of savings on a new car is not the way to go about owning a new car, nearly every new car sold in the UK to a private owner will be under a PCP/finance set up.

Some of us still buy used from private adverts but even used cars are going back out on the roads under a loan or finance..
    OK, I generally agree with that.

If I lived in London and needed to commute say up to 10 miles then cycling would be my choice, I just couldn't be arsed to be stuck in traffic and take that long to get to work/home..
    You'd be taking your life in your hands though! If the drivers don't get you, irate pedestrians or other cyclists will!

I wouldn't cycle in London (or drive, for that matter), it's got a great public transport system (unlike most of the rest of Britain), so I'd use that.

Cheers.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th October 2021 at 14:14.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Would you be happy if you lost a space outside your house you couldn't use?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Would you be happy if you lost a space outside your house you couldn't use?
    What’s the answer then?

I’ve lived in houses without off street parking, it’s a pain when you arrive home from work and can’t get parked anywhere near your house, but I didn’t own the road so couldn’t really complain.

Same if the council install an EV charger or a Disabled Bay, whilst I might feel it doesn’t benefit me, there’s a wider societal view to consider as well.

My sister lives near Waterloo, right outside her house the council installed a car club parking bay, sucks to be her right?

Meanwhile, my sister in law is working a project where they’re installing chargers in the kerbside, no designated EV bays or parking, just park on the street as normal and use the nearest socket if your car is an PHEV/EV.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    What’s the answer then?

I’ve lived in houses without off street parking, it’s a pain when you arrive home from work and can’t get parked anywhere near your house, but I didn’t own the road so couldn’t really complain.

Same if the council install an EV charger or a Disabled Bay, whilst I might feel it doesn’t benefit me, there’s a wider societal view to consider as well.

My sister lives near Waterloo, right outside her house the council installed a car club parking bay, sucks to be her right?

Meanwhile, my sister in law is working a project where they’re installing chargers in the kerbside, no designated EV bays or parking, just park on the street as normal and use the nearest socket if your car is an PHEV/EV.
    People aren't buying the things for a societal benefit (and doubt there's much in a large 4x4 PHEV). They're buying to save money or just because they can.

Master
    People aren't buying the things for a societal benefit (and doubt there's much in a large 4x4 PHEV). They're buying to save money or just because they can.
    Well, speaking for myself here, I don’t save money because the fuel savings are offset by the higher cost of the EV. I replaced it when my existing PHEV was end of life.

But, it’s better for local pollution, and is better to drive.

You haven’t quite answered the question really, there is a wider benefit to society especially in a polluted place like London whether the person living opposite an on street charger on public land benefits personally or not. It’s also not relevant whether an EV driver is saving money either, one less ICE on the road benefits everybody whatever the owners motivation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    What’s the answer then?
    Cycling, walking, public transport?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    No, the answer to somebody who doesn’t want the space on the public road outside their house occupied by an EV charging bay?

You’ll find in all the threads I’ve contributed to on this and other similar topics that I’ve said the only ‘green’ car is no car at all, but people do need, own and use cars, so what’s the answer.

It can’t be more of the same and it probably can’t be (if we’re being realistic) zero cars at all. Somewhere in between with more sustainable or overall less polluting vehicles is probably the best hope we’ve got in the medium term.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If I lived in London and needed to commute say up to 10 miles then cycling would be my choice, I just couldn't be arsed to be stuck in traffic and take that long to get to work/home..

Leave it, it’s outside his house and whatever you have said has annoyed him (doesn’t matter if that was your intention or not) other people can come along and quote the law until the cows come home only you have to live there and deal with someone every day who you have cheesed off.

Second option is to simply say “Sorry for any misunderstanding I realise it’s your spot is there any time convenient I can park here?” Chances are you will get a positive response. Quoting law or “doing what you want” is just going to make matters worse.

Depending on how far away it is, you could always suggest he uses your parking spot on the days that you are charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Depending on how far away it is, you could always suggest he uses your parking spot on the days that you are charging.
    Sounds like the most sensible solution

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is an unwritten rule that the bit of road outside your door belongs to you. Woe betide the man who messes with that!

One of my old neighbours objected to me parking in a nearby cul-de-sac when my drive was being done. For reference, he lived on the main road two houses away and I’d parked along side someone’s garden fence rather than in front of a house - something I always do.
    He informed me that I was wrong and that the parking there was only for the use of those who lived in the road or right next to it. I explained that it was only temporary (were talking two days max) and that it wasn’t a private road, I’d paid tax and insurance and I’d parked as courteously as I could.
    He said he’d be calling the council. So I moved it. To the kerb right outside his house. And left it there for about a month. He eventually apologised.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    unless i’ve misunderstood OP says he won’t be parking on his own development as it costs too much so can’t see how this chap can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some interesting responses to this thread… mostly missing a key point.

Ryan
    If the space is free when you happen to drive past park there and charge away. (I would not try to come to an agreement as he sounds like a right b&ll end).

The facts are, the space is not his, he has not paid for it. It’s on a public high way and an EV charger has been placed adjacent to the space by the the local authority for residents to use, this was paid for by using taxes that you contribute to as a local resident. You have the same right to park there and use the charger as anyone else.

He might get the hump but I would ignore him*

He is unlikely to do anything to your car as you know where he lives and if it were me I would get some joy out of knowing he will be fuming at such a petty inconvenience. (But I can be a right b&ll end as well),

*I would point out the error of his ways and tell him where to park his car, if he were if kick up a fuss (likely up his fundament). This is unlikely though he has no recourse to complain or moan.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th October 2021 at 09:29.

Master
    At last, the voice of reason from Sinnlover!

It’s the public highway, if it’s free, you park in the space. If it isn’t you go somewhere else.

Tesla have a good sentry mode, if anybody damages your car they’ll be on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There are some interesting responses to this thread… mostly missing a key point.

Ryan
    If the space is free when you happen to drive past park there and charge away. (I would not try to come to an agreement as he sounds like a right b&ll end).

The facts are the space is not his, he has not paid for it. It’s on a public high way and an EV charger has been placed adjacent to the space by the the local authority for residents to use, this was paid for by using taxes that you contribute to as a local resident. You the same right to park there and use the charger as anyone else.

He is unlikely to do anything to your car as you know where he lives and if it were me I would get some joy out of knowing he will be fuming at such a petty inconvenience. (But I can be a right b&ll end as well),

*I would point out the error of his ways and tell him where to park his car if he were if kick up a fuss (likely up his fundament).
    They're as bad as each other. It doesn't belong to either of them to come to any arrangement. Even with an arrangement a a third person could equally park there.

They're as bad as each other. It doesn't belong to either of them to come to any arrangement. Even with an arrangement a a third person could equally park there.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Ryan

The facts are, the space is not his, he has not paid for it. It’s on a public high way and an EV charger has been placed adjacent to the space by the the local authority for residents to use, this was paid for by using taxes that you contribute to as a local resident. You have the same right to park there and use the charger as anyone else.

*I would point out the error of his ways and tell him where to park his car, if he were if kick up a fuss (likely up his fundament). This is unlikely though he has no recourse to complain or moan.
    I think the guy does have some right to park there though as it sounds like he is parking outside his development/home and paying his £90, Ryan wants to pay £90 to park and charge on this development even though he does not live there, yes its a public highway but parking sounds like its permit only which you pay for as in the £90 so just rocking up and parking and charging will surely lead to clamping or a fine??

Joys of London living ehh..

I think the guy does have some right to park there though as it sounds like he is parking outside his development/home and paying his £90, Ryan wants to pay £90 to park and charge on this development even though he does not live there, yes its a public highway but parking sounds like its permit only which you pay for as in the £90 so just rocking up and parking and charging will surely lead to clamping or a fine??

Joys of London living ehh..
    That is not how I read the initial post.
    The space is on a street, and mostly occupied by the resident who lives in the house closest to the space.
    Maybe Ryan can clarify?
    But you are correct the joys of living in London…
    I can’t even park outside my house as the spaces are for pay and display only. This is really handy as we live 100 yards from a Tube station and they are constantly filled with people popping to the tube, popping to the local high street, or police cars full of coppers going to the local Costa (I kid you not, you would think my house was an embassy with the amount of police sitting outside during opening hours).
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th October 2021 at 09:47.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah, sounds like his neighbours don't park there either because it's 'his' spot - aka a passive aggressive who gets his own way because people accede to his tantrums. Simple solution- if the space is empty then park there but that said I'm surprised you thought a stranger would be accommodating in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    At that point he got quite agitated saying it was 'his spot'.
    Exactly then is when I would have told him to grow up and threatened to buy a £500 banger and park it that space for a year. Similar thing happened at my mum's and after I made that threat I wasn't blocked in again.

This is the problem, you gave him an inch and he tried to take a mile.

Master
    Playing musical cars with strangers won’t work imo. Maybe try and catch him again on a good day but what’s to stop some other numpty jumping in on the action.
    Could get another car and park it there out of spite? If you can’t use it then no one can!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Exactly then is when I would have told him to grow up and threatened to buy a £500 banger and park it that space for a year. Similar thing happened at my mum's and after I made that threat I wasn't blocked in again.

I’ve said in the past, that if a neighbour tried to fcuk me over, If his house came up for sale - I’d shell out for the rattiest old icecream van, and park it in my driveway. Reckon it would knock £thousands£ off his house value, and that £500 investment could eventually turn into a £5,000 sale.

(my testing of the Colonel Bogie chimes every Saturday morning - might swing it)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I’ve said in the past, that if a neighbour tried to fcuk me over, If his house came up for sale - I’d shell out for the rattiest old icecream van, and park it in my driveway. Reckon it would knock £thousands£ off his house value, and that £500 investment could eventually turn into a £5,000 sale.

(my testing of the Colonel Bogie chimes every Saturday morning - might swing it)
    my neighbours been parking his works vans and equipment (opposite side of the road) on the roadside directly along our property for years. But didn’t stop us selling up. Now he’s miffed we made a killing selling to developers but they didn’t want his house.

works both ways - what goes around comes around…

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    EV driver here; yes, it’s certainly the most convenient arrangement to have a fast (i.e. 7.4kW) charger at home to be able to charge the car when it’s sat doing nothing, it’s doable to run an EV without it.

If work has charge points, you’ll get a nice long charge in when there (assuming offices are a thing for you now or post-pandemic).
    Friends of mine have managed fine for a year in a rented flat and chargers at work and other places they frequent.

The cafe for lunch tomorrow has two chargers; might get a space to use it, usually do and can add 30 miles or so whilst eating. If I can’t get the closest space, having a 10m cable in the boot means I might still be able to reach from a space to two away. Doesn’t take too much planning to get a little EV grazing in :)

Whilst EVs/PHEVs are becoming more popular (and as they do, I imagine the percentage of spaces provisioned with fast chargers will
    go up), I think where space is at a premium (such as small venues and on-street parking near the OP’s place), it’s probably going to be a source of friction to reserve a space near a charger as EV only.

As there are more EVs a) hopefully there’s more chance it’ll get used and not just be wasted space b) there’ll be more spots to charge at and hopefully c) more people will have experienced an EV and be a little more understanding than the OP’s grumpy neighbour. We can but hope, but there are always going to be folk weirdly possessive about “their” space (even if that’s a dangerous spot, my current bugbear with some my neighbours’ parking!)

For larger places (multi stories) and where there are rapid chargers, absolutely mark them out and enforce good etiquette from EV (no dawdling and don’t wait to get that last 5-10%, it takes forever if others need in) and non-EV (no parking!) drivers alike.

With a longer range car (mine will do 200-220 miles realistically) charging infrequently is fine for most weeks.
    I’d say:
    - look out for spots for a little dribble of a charge when you’re out and about
    - get a longer type 2 cable for awkward to reach chargers
    - have a look on ZapMap for options
    - possibly ask or look around for folk with a drive and charger that you might be able to come to an arrangement with

Charging to 100% generally isn’t necessary or desirable. The management systems are capable of keeping batteries balanced and also packs don’t like being held at a high state of charge. 80% should do most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    The cafe for lunch tomorrow has two chargers; might get a space to use it, usually do and can add 30 miles or so whilst eating. If I can’t get the closest space, having a 10m cable in the boot means I might still be able to reach from a space to two away. Doesn’t take too much planning to get a little EV grazing in :)
    Who is liable if a member of the public trips over a 10m charging cable running to a car two spaces away and injures themself walking down the pavement in town? How does the EV owner flag this risk?

I wouldn't buy a horse w/o a stable.

I wouldn't buy a horse w/o a stable.
    ...or a house without stables.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Saw someone try that a few years back, they just bumped his car up the road.

He may well be a **** but being an even bigger **** isn’t the solution unless you like years of grief

Slightly OT but where does anyone w/o drive take their car for a spin?

Master
    Seems like a right hassle, I’d pay for parking in my own development if you can afford it. Life’s already complicated enough.

The guys an A*** but being an A*** certainly means he’s capable of doing something to your car.

Also what’s the etiquette of using a blue badge when the designated person isn’t going to be arriving or leaving in the car? To keep routine surely it’s better for ASC child not to be parking haphazardly and having a designated spot. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Seems like a right hassle, I’d pay for parking in my own development if you can afford it. Life’s already complicated enough.

The guys an A*** but being an A*** certainly means he’s capable of doing something to your car.

Also what’s the etiquette of using a blue badge when the designated person isn’t going to be arriving or leaving in the car? To keep routine surely it’s better for ASC child not to be parking haphazardly and having a designated spot. Good luck
    Yeah I would do if my own development had electric charging but it doesn't and I begrudge the greedy barstewards asking £300 when the flats next door sell their slots for £90.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is no drama as there are a bunch of public chargers nearby but I fancied doing the occasional slow charge to 100% to keep the battery in tip top shape. I think a local Tesco has free ones so I might just use that once in a while.

Master

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is no drama as there are a bunch of public chargers nearby but I fancied doing the occasional slow charge to 100% to keep the battery in tip top shape. I think a local Tesco has free ones so I might just use that once in a while.
    This is not the done thing though Ryan. Tesco chargers are there for Tesco customers. The idea behind them is an hour or so charge while you are shopping. Not for someone to pop their car on charge and leave it there because it’s “free”

Yeah I would do if my own development had electric charging but it doesn't and I begrudge the greedy barstewards asking £300 when the flats next door sell their slots for £90.

Hi Ryan
    Forget the spot you’re thinking of
    Your Tesla will have a mighty range, so if you’re not using it much it’ll be fine off a turbo charge once it’s v low

However…. On the point of trickle charging at Tesco - that’s a good way of doing things, just be careful how many hours you are allowed in the car park for and ensure you’re been and gone on the time frame

Pod point is the app you need for Tesco

This “spot” in the street won’t be needed - you have a massive Tesla only charging system around - by the sounds of it you hardly need it

Good luck with the world of EV - it can seem a pain at first but the £££££ saved is well worth it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

I don’t the the other guy’s being an arse. He’s paying £90 for parking, and there’s a spot outside his door, I’d make claim to it too if I was in that position, and be pissed if someone who doesn’t even live in the development wants to park their motor there instead. I doubt the bloke asked for an electric charge point to be fitted outside his pad either.

Agree with avoiding hassle though, I’d stick with fossil fuels until you can charge a car up on your own driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don’t the the other guy’s being an arse. He’s paying £90 for parking, and there’s a spot outside his door, I’d make claim to it too if I was in that position, and be pissed if someone who doesn’t even live in the development wants to park their motor there instead. I doubt the bloke asked for an electric charge point to be fitted outside his pad either.

Agree with avoiding hassle though, I’d stick with fossil fuels until you can charge a car up on your own driveway.
    Kind of see the point but most people in London won't have their own driveway so this problem will only get bigger over time

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Kent's nice...

People are hilarious about 'their' parking spaces. We often have to park way up the street because it's rammed, sometimes with about 10 Skodas from the dealer down the road, but it's just how it is.

There's a bloke opposite us who made a massive point of tutting and shaking his head when I parked in 'his' space on Saturday. I left an hour later and he immediately moved his car, which was only over the road anyway, to fill the gap.

Then on Sunday I couldn't believe my luck when 'his' space was free again, so I parked there and it will be there until Saturday, when we can start round 2