I'm taking delivery of a Tesla next month and I won't be availing of our development's own parking at £300 a month but park about 30 yards away in another development for £90 per month. Whilst there are a load of fast chargers around there are also some slower chargers in nearby streets in the lampposts.

Anyway I noticed one of these outside a property nearby and the space was occupied by a diesel car (no issue with this as the space is reserved for permit holders not EVs only. I can park there due to having a Blue Badge for my son). Anyway I saw the owner of the car and asked him if he parks there often and he said yes as it is outside his house. I informed him I'd like to use the charger maybe once a week and was flexible as to what day that was and could he suggest a convenient time where he would park his car in a different spot.

At that point he got quite agitated saying it was 'his spot'. I didn't want to get into a row as of course it is anyone's spot if they have the right to park there and so I'll just find another spot as I don't fancy coming back to a keyed car.

What would you say is etiquette in these situations? Bit stupid of the council to make EV chargers available but then allow any car to park there so I guess that was the trigger but also surely people in urban areas without driveways understand they don't have a right to a particular parking spot?