closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Armoured shroud for car cables to protect wiring from foxes?

Armoured shroud for car cables to protect wiring from foxes?

Too late, so an expensive repair to come, a very common occurrence around these parts.

Has anybody successfully protected groups of cable running along the underside of their cars? Shrouding with stainless steel braiding or plastic gas pipe held on with cable ties? Anti-rodent insulation tape? Any top tips?
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 17th October 2021 at 22:46.

Are you sure it’s foxes. Mice like to nest in cars about this time of year as it gets colder. They love chewing the cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Are you sure it’s foxes. Mice like to nest in cars about this time of year as it gets colder. They love chewing the cables.

Pretty sure, not a nibble, a good feast. There are three or four that patrol nightly, settle in our porch, seen them scurrying under the van, hit one vehicle in the road three times. Lovely looking animals, enjoy watching them, but they can be little buggers, we've lost boots, shoes, the milk, now the vehicle.

I know of someone who had mice nest in the engine bay of a Range Rover, they chewed the wiring loom to pieces and the cost to repair was a write off!

Saw something on BBC website about this last week. Apparently they like the taste of antifreeze.

Blog Entries
    Coincidentally, this week a colleague from NE France was bemoaning the local Martens feasting on his Skoda Octavia cables.

Apparently, there is something in the new (bio-derived/sustainable) cable insulation that they like.

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    We get a fair few customers suffering from this.
    Had a lady last week who had her fuel filler pipe chewed through for the third time in two years. We’ve fitted a new one and made a protective shroud form it so we’ll see how it goes.

Try vehicle wiring products or hill top products they will have something you can use

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Coincidentally, this week a colleague from NE France was bemoaning the local Martens feasting on his Skoda Octavia cables.

Apparently, there is something in the new (bio-derived/sustainable) cable insulation that they like.

z
    When we were living in Switzerland I turned down the 'Fouine' clause on the car insurance policy because I figured that it was an unnecessary extra. Wasn't my best decision.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thanks for the tips, some of the sleeving products might help.

I’ll see how much the repair is and check my insurance policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a spate of it with customers cars GM ….transpires the insulation contains ‘soy oil’ and some even peanut oil and they love it particularly once warmed up….

Peppermint or bitter Apple spray is supposed to deter them but I don’t know if that’s true and where do you start .?….

It's a mess, three conduits severed, one nibbled. The garage around the corner (local VW no slot until December!) reckons on smearing the conduits with copper grease.

I'm wondering about adding this product post-repair with cable ties with the tails left on.

https://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/e...wrap-25mm.html

as its already installed, what about spiral wrap.

There are tough heatshrinks, but they would be a pig to get on

or

https://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/pp0...oss_price=true

or some copex

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/condu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by adrianw; 18th October 2021 at 11:44.