closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car covers, full or half any recommendations ?

Car covers, full or half any recommendations ?

I'm in the process of buying a MR2 soft top (quite excited :) ) it will sit on my drive (not garaged) so i'm thinking I should cover it when not in use during the winter.

I thought easy just buy a cover but now I have done a little "research" it doesent seem so easy as that, I am now leaning towards a top half cover which will look after the soft top a little and will be less hassle to remove and replace than a full cover.

Any thoughts/recommendations ?

Thanks

Master
    I maybe wrong , but beware of covers that flap or flog in the wind. They leave any paintwork looking like its been sandblasted!

My wifes MX 5 sits outside all year round , we use Autoglym

Key thing with soft tops is stopping them rotting, which happens when they are not ventilated eg damp allowed to stay close to the fabric
    Last edited by higham5; 16th October 2021 at 20:52.

My Elise is parked outside in the elements, I have a full cover for it (came with the car) though I've not used it once in the 14y I've owned the car.

There are a couple reasons for this, the main reason being that I use the car regularly throughout the year and full covers can be a PITA to put on and take off.. The wind blows them about and if you get and dirt/grit from the ground on the inside of the cover that's then transfered to the paintwork... Likewise if you take the cover off, go out for a drive and put the cover back on when you're back anything that has accumulated on the paintwork is then transfered to the inside of the cover!

I use a quality rain cap that covers the windscreen and roof, it mainly prevents heavy rainfall from finding its way between the roof seals and side windows. The bodywork is washed and protected with various products to keep bird crap etc from marking the paint and that's it.

I’ve just purchased a full cover for my new boxster from classic additions. Great so far and excellent customer service

Would recommend a full cover which has straps that run under the vehicle to hold it in place, otherwise a gust of wind and you've got a parachute.
    Some stories of the covers scratching the paintwork but I've not had this problem before.
    Great if if you only use the vehicle now and again and especially in the winter.

Even a tight fitting outdoor cover (with a strap) will rub the paint slightly during a usual UK autumn/winter.

The only way to really avoid that is to have a decent indoor cover underneath the outdoor cover. But then it starts getting quite pricey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timestuff View Post
    Would recommend a full cover which has straps that run under the vehicle to hold it in place, otherwise a gust of wind and you've got a parachute.
    Some stories of the covers scratching the paintwork but I've not had this problem before.
    Great if if you only use the vehicle now and again and especially in the winter.
    I’d echo these comments and have not had any issues with scratches with my Sealey cover which I bought from Amazon after reading this review https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/produc...car-covers?amp

I didn’t want to spend hundreds for a custom, make specific one and am really happy with it so far. The car is used infrequently and the benefits far outweigh any reported problems others mention online about car covers for me. No more issues with bird muck or insects causing damage to paintwork is worth the price alone without the other benefits.
    It’s lightweight, easy to put on and take off and is secure on the car with the elasticated front and back and 3 underbody securing straps. We live pretty high up in an exposed spot but it’s held firmly in place despite so very windy days over the past month.

The main tips which I’ve followed are never put the cover on a wet car and make sure the car is clean and dirt free before covering. It’s also easier to put on and off with two people I find.

Cheers
    Neil
    Last edited by jneds; 17th October 2021 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    My Elise is parked outside in the elements, I have a full cover for it (came with the car) though I've not used it once in the 14y I've owned the car.

There are a couple reasons for this, the main reason being that I use the car regularly throughout the year and full covers can be a PITA to put on and take off.. The wind blows them about and if you get and dirt/grit from the ground on the inside of the cover that's then transfered to the paintwork... Likewise if you take the cover off, go out for a drive and put the cover back on when you're back anything that has accumulated on the paintwork is then transfered to the inside of the cover!

I use a quality rain cap that covers the windscreen and roof, it mainly prevents heavy rainfall from finding its way between the roof seals and side windows. The bodywork is washed and protected with various products to keep bird crap etc from marking the paint and that's it.
    Thanks all, I think the rain cap is the way I am going, i've been looking at this one.

https://www.everycarcovered.com/prod...013bad01&_ss=r

After a number of different manufacturers offerings I tried a Classic Additions Ultimate and have stayed with them since. Had several more from them over the years and been completely happy with them all.

Never had a problem of paint degradation on any of my CAU covered cars.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.