closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches you thought were crap and then totally fell in love with

Watches you thought were crap and then totally fell in love with

Ok, so, I had a thing for the Seiko Alpinist: I thought it was horrible.
    Cathedral hands, green dial, compass bezel crown, size, 12 lume dots. All not for me.

Then came the new Alpinist with the revived laurel dial and I was like uuuh... uh uh...
    Then they did the apecial ginza cobblestones edition and I was oooohhh!

So I went to the ad to see it, thinking to myself I was most likely going to buy it.
    Had all I liked in a watch, big lume, dauphine hands, blue dial, etc etc...

Then in the ad's window I saw another seiko and here I am now.

Thunderstruck! Totally!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Bubi. That photo clearly shows that you are the love child of Master Chief and The Stig and I claim my £5.

For years I disliked the Omega Speedmaster, had numerous opportunities to buy new and second hand and it just did nothing for me.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I had a revelation and needed to buy one with some urgency. Now it's a firm favourite in my regular watch rotation.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I used to hate the square Bell and Ross models, now I’m this far (imagine my thumb and forefinger close together) from buying one of the ones on SC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Didn’t think it was rubbish but I sold my BLNR as I thought it was too blingy with the PCL’s etc.

Luckily, I bought the same watch back and now it’s probably what I wear the most outside of work.

Not an individual watch, but the Tudor marketing and branding used to put me right off. But when I saw the blue Pelagos I had to have it. I bought a Black bay along the way and being a bit of a collector I can see myself purchasing a few more Tudors. I still can't stand their instagram output and their Brand Ambassadors, but the watches are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Didn’t think it was rubbish but I sold my BLNR as I thought it was too blingy with the PCL’s etc.

Luckily, I bought the same watch back and now it’s probably what I wear the most outside of work.

that is so not blingy, if it had a white face and gold hands then fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I used to hate the square Bell and Ross models, now I’m this far (imagine my thumb and forefinger close together) from buying one of the ones on SC
    First time I saw one, which was the Selfridges wonder room, I thought they were horrible.

Took about 2 years for that to change, and another 6 after that to buy one. Now my BR03-92 is firm favourite I will never sell

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Seiko MM300. I kept seeing these spoken about on TZ and just didn’t get the hype. I then went to the Bristol watch meet and Bazza was there with a suitcase of very very nice watches. The only one that really caught my eye apart from a vintage Tudor or Rolex snowflake was the lovely watch positioned bottom right in his case.
    Had to have one or two. 3 weeks later a blue one arrived. I might go down the strap code route as he had. I shall see. I may get the Jubilee so that I can retain the adjustable clasp.
    I know it’s a Seiko which to some doesn’t carry the prestige that some people love to aspire to but I think it’s cool:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 16th October 2021 at 20:44.

Craftsman
    Was never a fan of a Speedmaster until very recently. I still don’t love them, but have an appreciation for them and the looks are growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Seiko MM300. I kept seeing these spoken about on TZ and just didn’t get the hype. I then went to the Bristol watch meet and Bazza was there with a suitcase of very very nice watches. The only one that really caught my eye apart from a vintage Tudor or Rolex snowflake was the lovely watch positioned bottom right in his case.
    Had to have one… or two. 3 weeks later a blue one arrived. I might go down the strap code route as he had. I shall see. I may get the Jubilee so that I can retain the adjustable clasp.
    I know it’s a Seiko which to some doesn’t carry the prestige that some people love to aspire to but I think it’s cool:)
    The MM300 is a watch I wanted to try on the back of this forum. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I bought one from SC expecting to flip it at some point, and many years later it is still one of my favourite modern divers. It’s almost perfect. (Too many fonts on the dial if I am being picky)
    Another (forgive me Eddie) was the recent Caribbean. I loved the idea when it was announced, but I saw the photos of the prototypes and though meh. They look… meh.
    A blue dial popped up on SC so I took a chance, again expecting to flip it, but bugger me it’s a cracker, I don’t like the stock rubber or bracelet (and the dial is a bit flat) but the watch is stonking value for the money. I just need to find a strap I like.
    Unfortunately I have more stories of esteemed watches I thought were cr@p than positive.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th October 2021 at 07:09.

Hated the YM42 and talked a load of nonsense about it and then I got talked into buying one. Absolutely superb. Love it.

Tudor Pelagos is another. Thought why bother when the Black Bay exists and is cheaper but what a fantastic watch, just need a bit more adjustment on the clasp for me personally.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 16th October 2021 at 20:57.

Another one for the MM300 here. I thought it was far too large and unwieldy for years. But an MM200 was my gateway into the MM300 as I really liked the styling. When the 300 arrived I was so impressed by its quality and ease of wear. Yes it's big but very comfortable. The dial and handsets are outstanding.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    For a long time I thoroughly disliked the MKii Speedmasters until I took one in a trade and actually wore it for a while. Since then I have been converted and have a fair collection of this, 1970s, style of watch.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    Was never a fan of a Speedmaster until very recently. I still don’t love them, but have an appreciation for them and the looks are growing on me.
    I love the look of the Speedmaster on other people’s wrists. On me they just seem to look too big and flat. Apologies for the thread digression.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Hated the YM42 and talked a load of nonsense about it and then I got talked into buying one. Absolutely superb. Love it.

Tudor Pelagos is another. Thought why bother when the Black Bay exists and is cheaper but what a fantastic watch, just need a bit more adjustment on the clasp for me personally.
    Don’t you have any light bulbs in your house? 😂

Craftsman
    The Yachtmaster 40 for me. I’ve dismissed it for years as an overpriced, under-specified, blingy submariner. Now that I see it in its own category, and that it wears extremely elegantly I’m on the hunt for one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Don’t you have any light bulbs in your house? 😂
    WiFi lightbulbs. Can't be bothered to turn them on unless it's actually black!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Seamaster 300.
    Didn't like the earlier models, very much like the new 42mm ones with the ceramic wave dials.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    WiFi lightbulbs. Can't be bothered to turn them on unless it's actually black!
    I read that as WTF are lightbulbs at first… must get new glasses

Seiko Tunas - especially the 1000m ones. I used to think they were clownish, oversized nonsense, and may even be on record comparing them to a manhole cover on the wrist. I didn't like the shroud and when I eventually did try one of the SUN019 kinetic GMTs years ago, I hated it. Too high, too clunky, just... Ugh.

Then came the re-issued Arnie, which I tried against my better judgment and unexpectedly enjoyed. Then a Darth, and now a Field Tuna as well. So in the space of two-and-a-half years I've gone from being a Tuna refusenik to having three, and desperately wishing I had decided to hit "buy" on the spring drive one on which I had an option a couple of years back.

I especially love the Darth - it's light, it's supremely comfortable (lug-less), it has a Kanji day wheel which I thoroughly enjoy, it's accurate, and it has stealthily become my grab-and-go standard. I'm trying to resist the impulse to find a golden one, and the limited-edition blue one, and, and, and...

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Seiko Tunas - especially the 1000m ones. I used to think they were clownish, oversized nonsense, and may even be on record comparing them to a manhole cover on the wrist. I didn't like the shroud and when I eventually did try one of the SUN019 kinetic GMTs years ago, I hated it. Too high, too clunky, just... Ugh.

Then came the re-issued Arnie, which I tried against my better judgment and unexpectedly enjoyed. Then a Darth, and now a Field Tuna as well. So in the space of two-and-a-half years I've gone from being a Tuna refusenik to having three, and desperately wishing I had decided to hit "buy" on the spring drive one on which I had an option a couple of years back.

I especially love the Darth - it's light, it's supremely comfortable (lug-less), it has a Kanji day wheel which I thoroughly enjoy, it's accurate, and it has stealthily become my grab-and-go standard. I'm trying to resist the impulse to find a golden one, and the limited-edition blue one, and, and, and...
    I had the same experience. Started with the Golgo13 steel 300m Tuna and now am on the gold 1000m and definitely recommend it!

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Mentioned on another thread that I didn’t think much of these when they were released- then I tried one on…..

http://D5FC2EB0-F586-4D4D-B9C0-E1EDFF359C89 by meffiah, on Flickr

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wasn’t impressed by Rolex for a long time, then owned a vintage one and changed my mind.

I would put Longines and Ball in that camp. The other way around for me, IWC and Breitling used to in my high esteem but now less so.

Would have to put the Speedmaster on this. Bought one new probably 3 years back. Didn’t like it rarely wore it never got the hype.

Sold it.

Fast forward to last summer the itch for one was back. Bought one no bracelet wear it on NATO’s and leather now and one of my firm favourites. This hobby has a funny way with our heads!

PP aquanaut - couldn't stand it a few years ago but love them now

Master
    Every single Panerai, now I really want one

Master

SMP

Skeleton hands were a no-no, everyone seemed to have one and now I've had two in six months. Still can't stand the bracelet though as you can see. But a great slim watch and one of the few 41 mm watches that is good for my small wrists.

Never really happened to me. The ones I disliked at first sight have remained out of favor. Once in a while I convince myself to get one and try to like it, doesn’t happen. There have been a few I have been initially been in fence for which eventually Inhave come to like. But the ones, I thought were crap have stayed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Skeleton hands were a no-no, everyone seemed to have one and now I've had two in six months. Still can't stand the bracelet though as you can see. But a great slim watch and one of the few 41 mm watches that is good for my small wrists.

+1 on this, always liked this model, always thought of it as a design marvel and milestone in watchmaking (-design?) history.
    But on the flipside it was always "too popular" and worn by many which always bugged me and stopped me from falling in 100% love with it.
    Had the midsize chronometer, and then the large 41mm but in quartz, but eventually sold them both. Still have it on my bucket list though, it even made it to the top 3 shortlist on my 40st birthday watch list last year.
    Now that i see the prices climbing up, perhaps i should've gone for this..