closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; addition to my 'fleet': 1972 Saab 95V4

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; addition to my 'fleet': 1972 Saab 95V4

I mentioned my search for a new classic in a few other threads, but since this morning, this brillant yellew (colour #Y9) Saab 95 V4 is mine. This is a MY73 Saab, sold in December 72 to its first owner. The person I bought it from (not the first owner) bought the car in 2005 and it took him 5 yrs to restore it. The last 10 years, the car only did 55K kms in total. The car was restored with one of the final 7 spare engines from Saab, so basically, the car has only done 55K kms.

I couldn't find a fault or mishap. That was emphasized when we put the car on the ramp at the workshop this morning. It's flawlessly restored. Amazingly, the car has been for sale on a Dutch national website for 18 months and no-one showed interest! I was so amazed about the quality of this restoration that I told the seller that I wouldn't haggle about his asking price. As a result, he'd loaded the boot of the car with tons of NOS parts, including 2 rare NOS Armstrong rear dampers. Make from unobtanium, I tell you!

I'm so happy that I found this car!

Pics in a few moments.

Menno

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=thieuster;5854235]I mentioned my search for a new classic in a few other threads, but since this morning, this brillant yellew (colour #Y9) Saab 95 V4 is mine. This is a MY73 Saab, sold in December 72 to its first owner. The person I bought it from (not the first owner) bought the car in 2005 and it took him 5 yrs to restore it. The last 10 years, the car only did 55K kms in total. The car was restored with one of the final 7 spare engines from Saab, so basically, the car has only done 55K kms.

I couldn't find a fault or mishap. That was emphasized when we put the car on the ramp at the workshop this morning. It's flawlessly restored. Amazingly, the car has been for sale on a Dutch national website for 18 months and no-one showed interest! I was so amazed about the quality of this restoration that I told the seller that I wouldn't haggle about his asking price. As a result, he'd loaded the boot of the car with tons of NOS parts, including 2 rare NOS Armstrong rear dampers. Make from unobtanium, I tell you!

It's an absolutely brand-new Saab.

I'm so happy that I found this car!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What a find, and a lovely car!

Beautiful condition, its nice to have a classic that doesn't need work, just get out and enjoy it..

I like that. Something different from the norm, which is why it probably didn't sell quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Beautiful condition, its nice to have a classic that doesn't need work, just get out and enjoy it..
    It is also nice to know it's now in the hands of someone who will be able to appreciate it and keep it in good nick.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It's a beauty, enjoy!
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Saab started their Model Years on Sept. 1st. And the VIN count for that year (73) started a #1. Mine has a number just under #2500. That year, Saab built 23K cars in Trollhattan. So it's safe to assume that my VIN number's car was built somewhere around mid October. Unlike British car brands have, there's no Heritage Report at Saab. The car was sold on Dec 12, 1972. About two months after its presumed built date.

That bright yellow colour was only a MY73 colour. I cannot find any sources telling why they skipped the colour after a year. Long-time Saab restorers told me that a yellow cars had /have a better survival rate than other colours.

When you're in the market for an old Saab: get one before MY75. After that, Saab changed the paint system (documented) and the steel supplier (not documented) resulting in a devastating rust problem. It took then a few years to sort out the problem. That leaves us with the fact that younger Saabs 6 9are worse than Saabs 96 that are 10yrs older! We always mention Alfas from that era. Saabs from that era are equally bad - perhaps even worse.
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th October 2021 at 16:21.

Craftsman
    Good result and a very nice car Menno. Any modifications planned?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Good result and a very nice car Menno. Any modifications planned?
    Not really any plans. Perhaps in the future a modern PAS system from a Vauxhall Corsa. A Dutch company called EZPowersteering http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/language/23/2/Home.html has a good reputation. But no direct 'upgrades' like a faster engine or bigger exhaust. The latter is a very popular upgrade, but a very noisy (and tiring) one.