closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is Fortis really good at making watches?

Is it me or is Fortis really good at making watches?

Two new models out today:

Marinemaster M-44 Diver

44mm - recycled stainless steel case.
    500m water resistance
    Some clever Fortis locking system that enables the bezel to rotate in both directions.
    And it's bloody lovely:

And the Marinemaster M-40 Diver

Same specs as above but 40mm and 300m water resistance
    Also bloody lovely:

Every time Fortis has released a new watch recently I've loved it.

Not handled one for years - where do we go to do so in the UK nowadays? I'm a Londoner but regularly in the Liverpool/Wirral area of the NW too.
    Are they as good as they look?
    Where are they on the bang for buck scale where 0 = Hublot and 10 = Nomos or Tudor?

I have not handled a ‘modern’ Fortis but they have always made fantastic watches, I have long been a fan.
    That’s said their designs have really improved in the last couple of years. I would also like to try one in the metal.
    They are a good looking watch, I would likely go 44mm though.
    Must dig out my B42 or GMT from the safe for tomorrow.

Yes, those look fantastic, as does the new Flieger. I have a B42 Marinemaster in white, which I bought I think around 2007 in Spain. Great watch.
    I see Jura Watches have them. Not cheap though, well into Tudor territory.

I am a fanboy. Was collecting them before I was even a member here.

Used to be an AD in Nottingham and I bought their whole stock once!

B42 pilot pro chrono was the first expensive (over £300 classes as expensive) watch I ever bought new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leeds is the place to go - there’s an AD there that always has a massive stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Are they as good as they look?
    I handled their new fliegers a few weeks ago -- very nice. Not sure if the steel is the same kind as in my old-school Official Cosmonauts, but close and still feels very nice in hand, above average.

I agree that they have been knocking it out of the park with their designs recently and show you can still have an individual design. However their prices are increasing and I feel that these are about £1,000 more than they should be.

44mm is a little large for me but it isn’t as thick as their chronographs so may make a difference. However, that didn’t stop me picking this beauty up earlier this year.

Who owns them now? I thought they went bust a few years back.

Thanks. It's always been a great brand and hopefully they'll do well.

Blog Entries
    I've had about 5 or 6 Fortis over the years and I was really impressed with each one - the B42 series was my favourite, with the GMT version being the last to go from my collection earlier this year.

Are they producing in-house movements now?

The new owner has the spiel but I’m guessing Fortis will now be a luxury proposition rather than a sensible utilitarian option.

Starting prices at £2k+?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Are they producing in-house movements now?
    AFAIK, no. They use Sellita and Kenissi now. Which means that despite the fact I like the brand, it's unlikely I'll be buying a Fortis soon (they're asking too much for the Sellita-based models IMO and Kenissi is a no-no for me, as my money's not ever going to Rolex).

Certainly is a nice watch and I do like the design, just priced too high in my opinion.

I’ve had a few (the first watch I bought here was a Fortis) including a Marinemaser B-42. All good quality - a brand I’ve always rated.

Love Fortis in general, this one wouldn't be too bad either, if it didn't have hidden lugs, that i'm not a huge fan of

Really like the look of these. 🤩

Agreed, I think their recent pilots watch (the blue one in particular), the grey mars mission chrono and now these divers are all fantastic.

There was a time in their design line, about 5 years ago where I found their watches a bit too stark but I think their chronos from 15 years+ ago are brilliant too.

I’m not super fussed about the movement in my tool watches but 38h power reserve is so bad it’s annoying - lovely watch otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    these are about £1,000 more than they should be.

I loved this when I saw it. Some awesome pics too. It was probably the one recently that really made me stand up and take notice of Fortis. Now I get their emails and drool at each one.
    Do you feel this was £1k too much too? How much was it if you don't mind my asking.
    And does it come with that stand?!

The one in the OP looks great - would need to see it on a wrist to confirm that, though.

Superb watches. I have the Lemania 5100 Cosmonaut chrono and the accompanying day date diver. Super legible and tough as they come. Look really good too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    The one in the OP looks great - would need to see it on a wrist to confirm that, though.
    Indeed, I suspect they are CGI. Good CGI though and the models look promising, if you like 44mm. It’s getting harder and harder to tell what’s real.

Sent from an AI watch-chat bot running on an iPhone 15.

Master
    Lovely looking watch, but the price is just wrong. For that kinda money i would buy a SM300 anytime. Too bad.

Definitely a bit too pricey now.

They were always a utilitarian watch at a reasonable price but I guess the new owners have other ideas.

I have this older model.

And this much older model...

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Am I alone in disliking textured dials?? The Fortis's that the OP posted look great, but I'd so much prefer them with a plain dial.

I’ve had 3 or 4 over the years, nice watches and I like the look of the new ones too
    I’m expecting them to cost a bit more than I’d really want to pay….

Master
    The waffle dial and internal numbered rehaut reminds me of an AP diver, which is no bad thing

Craftsman
    I must say that is a looker!!

Never owned one or touched one ,like a lot of other brands,but I’d definitely be interested in taking a look at these,probably not at rrp though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved this when I saw it. Some awesome pics too. It was probably the one recently that really made me stand up and take notice of Fortis. Now I get their emails and drool at each one.
    Do you feel this was £1k too much too? How much was it if you don't mind my asking.
    And does it come with that stand?!
    I was talking about the Marinemasters which are priced around the €3k level which I believe is too much for a 40mm 3 hander with that old movement no matter how nice they look.

The Amadee-20 Misson to Mars is 44mm and made of Titanium. It doesn’t come with that stand. That’s a separate purchase from M.A.D. gallery.

The retail price was €3,800 but you can get decent discounts which I was able to get as I wouldn’t pay retail for it.

I’ve always liked Fortis, particularly the older models such as the Flieger Chrono, official cosmonauts 3 hander and chronographs.

With the B42 I thought they had lost their way a bit, but was sorry to see the company cease trading

These new watches are undoubtedly high quality, but my word the prices are high!

The 44mm, Kenissi movement or not is twice the price of a Sinn U1, and £1500 more than a Tudor BB58.

The 40mm version at £3000 is £1000 over-priced.

You knew the predecessor company was in trouble when deeply discounted watches were offloaded via Jomashop. I can’t see anyone paying these prices, and that risks secondary market dumping, and brands struggle to survive that.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Am I alone in disliking textured dials?? The Fortis's that the OP posted look great, but I'd so much prefer them with a plain dial.
    No, you are not alone. I'm not a fan at all. I can't like GS snowflakes for the same reason.

EDIT: I'm currently watching this one on the bay

Now that's a proper Fortis
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 14th October 2021 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    No, you are not alone. I'm not a fan at all. I can't like GS snowflakes for the same reason.

EDIT: I'm currently watching this one on the bay

Now that's a proper Fortis
    I am the same. Remain totally unmoved by the GS textured dials that people go gaga over.
    Fortis makes some proper watches that I really like.

I'd sooner wear a Fortis Cosmonaut than a Daytona, as for prices they seem "par for the course" crikey Seikos are hardly good value any longer.
    Last edited by number2; 15th October 2021 at 07:16.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I mostly find them a bit nondescript and generic, but I love the designs in the top post.

Had several & they were all excellent.

The new Marinemaster looks great and €3,300 for the 40mm on a bracelet is not too bad, albeit I'd not buy one new at that price in front of a Pelagos.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

They need to do better with the bracelet / case interface too. Bracelet is too narrow.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Had several & they were all excellent.

The new Marinemaster looks great and €3,300 for the 40mm on a bracelet is not too bad, albeit I'd not buy one new at that price in front of a Pelagos.

Good point. I had missed the price

The whole watch industry pushing up culture is bizarre sometimes.

I know Tudor offers value as one of their USPs but it’s weird how many watches seem to price themselves alongside a BB or pelagos and don’t offer anywhere near the same quality. Though I put my hands up and admit I haven’t handled one of these Fortises(?)

I know value is subjective and maybe if you owned / tried one of the tudors, decided it wasn’t for you and looked elsewhere, it might work as a proposition, but surely, this pricing is a bit mad. Bring it in a grand cheaper, Fortis.

Is it me or is Fortis really good at making watches?

Whilst I have not tried the newer Fortis product
    I would say my B42 cosmonaut chronograph is almost equal in quality to my Pelagos
    I wore them back to back this week (Tudor yesterday) and the bracelet, finishing, crystal and bezel action are a quality product.
    They only areas in which I would say the Tudor is superior are lume and clasp.
    The same can not be said for the previous generation Fortis they are a step down in quality but still a great watch for the money they were charging then

Last edited by Sinnlover; 15th October 2021 at 19:11.

Blog Entries
    I do like the older Fortis models, which is why I ended up with this...

z

Craftsman
    I really love my Cockpit Two which I've had now for five years or so. It is one of my favourite watches.

The new ones are looking sharp.

The new Marinemaster looks great.

I love the brand and have done since 1990 when I bought my first Fortis chronograph. Nowadays it's the Pilot Classic that is a firm favourite.

Last edited by j111dja; 15th October 2021 at 23:16.

Well, this thread inspired me to wear this today.

I have this Marine Master. I know there was some controversy about them when they were re-released (there was supposed to only be a limited number but suddenly 100s were up for sale). There was also the minefield of whether the various Fortis kits which were on ebay were real or fakes.

But its quirky and I love the acrylic crystal and dial, busy though it is.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Revival of old thread.

https://www.fortis-swiss.com/stratol...kAJr-Qc.WubYFJ

Another great watch.
    Slightly bonkers price? What exactly is "Japan Blue Dust"? If they want, judging by what came out of my vacuum when I emptied it yesterday, I could provide "British Grey Dust" in vast quantities for their next special edition.

Revival of old thread.

https://www.fortis-swiss.com/stratol...kAJr-Qc.WubYFJ

Another great watch.
    Slightly bonkers price? What exactly is "Japan Blue Dust"? If they want, judging by what came out of my vacuum when I emptied it yesterday, I could provide "British Grey Dust" in vast quantities for their next special edition.
    That's pretty nice.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Nice. Would have preferred fitted end links though.

Master
    Tidy looking watch but there's plenty of competition at that price point so they're going to need some key ambassadors to get the sales beyond the WIS community.

I've only had older Fortis models but they've always been a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Nice. Would have preferred fitted end links though.
    and a lower price.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57