closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchwinder recommdation

Master

Watchwinder recommdation

Hi folks. Asking for a friend. I'm not after pros and cons of having one, I'm in the cons camp myself.

Mate looking to get one as rotates a range of Rolex.

Interested in 1, 2 or even 3 watch watchwinder.

Any suggestions/recommendations. I believe that one needs to find one with flexible phasing (so not winding more than needed) and isolated motor(s) so magnetism doesn't affect the watch.

Thanks in advance.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I use Wolf, and they do the flex phrasing and have separate motors that you can control individually.

Grand Master
    I used an MTE 4 watch winder for several years. Replaced the motor once (it broke down after around 7 years of continuous use), the 2nd one also lasted around 7 years, but as of yet have not replaced it - probably as I have way too many watches to fit on one :)
    /vince ..

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got a couple of Aevitas but they struggle with my large watches,changing over to Wolf.

Grand Master
    Here’s a question: how do you adjust the winder and match it to the watch? Genuine question, I could do it from first principles if I had to, but it wouldn’t be easy.

If a watch had a power reserve indicator that would help a lot.

The situation you want to avoid is having the watch fully wound with the mainspring slipping against the inside of the barrel wall excessively. If the watch is 80% fully wound when it goes on the winder the aim would be to maintain this. The ideal winder would monitor the amplitude and aim to maintain it within a set range, but that’s adding a significant layer of complexity to say the least.

I’m still strongly against these things but I’m curious to know how folks set them up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Aevitas run for nine hours in a twenty four hour period.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Here’s a question: how do you adjust the winder and match it to the watch? Genuine question, I could do it from first principles if I had to, but it wouldn’t be easy.

If a watch had a power reserve indicator that would help a lot.

The situation you want to avoid is having the watch fully wound with the mainspring slipping against the inside of the barrel wall excessively. If the watch is 80% fully wound when it goes on the winder the aim would be to maintain this. The ideal winder would monitor the amplitude and aim to maintain it within a set range, but that’s adding a significant layer of complexity to say the least.

I’m still strongly against these things but I’m curious to know how folks set them up.
    ive only noticed mine winding 3 times a day. its not doing anything more often than its moving.
    I haven't done anything to set it up.

Im on the fence with them really, the only reason I use a winder is because the 2 watches that are on it are absolute bitches to set bang on the markers and I figure id probably cause more wear and tear resetting them to get on the markers than I would by correct setting and leaving them on an intermittent wind.

I could just not care about them being on the markers when the seconds hit 12 but its teeth grindingly irritating for me.

Master
    Thanks all.

I'd question whether he needs a winder. I rotate 10+ Rolex and several other watches, and don't feel the need for a winder - happy to set when I wear them. But then, my most complicated watches are GMTs (no Skydwellers in my collection). Although it's a bit of pain setting my non-hacking Pateks, I must admit. Unless you have serious complications, I viewed winders as adding to wear rather than being an overall benefit.

the best ? promised myself one of theses one day
    The Bernard Favre watch winders

https://watchwinders.co.uk/watchwind...leather-watch-

Grand Master
    The technology's available to produce a really 'smart' watchwinder with a built-in timegrapher function. This would control the watch to a set amplitude and could be programmed to always leave the watch in the dial-up position when not rotating. The overall rate during storage still wouldn't match the rate observed during a typical period of wear but it's likely to be more consistent. Ideally, it could be programmed to 'park' in whatever position the owner choses, thus allowing a degree of compensation for fast or slow running.

This would safeguard against wear to the barrel, essentially keeping the watch 70%-80% fully wound, and minimising needless wear to the rotor bearing.

There are good reasons why this won't happen; the more expensive watches are generally sold on aesthetics rather than technical content and the majority of owners wouldn't grasp the advantages.

Bumping this old thread to seek advice on the subject of watch winders

Previously used winders, when my collection increased in size.
    But for the past few years, I haven't required one so sold it.

Now, having bought a Day Date 1803 which is pre quick set and the lengthy time it takes to set the date, if you have to change more than a couple of dates.

I think the best option would be for the times when I am not wearing it, is to keep it on a winder.

So, looking for recommendations please, on a simple winder, which is not too expensive but reliable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

Now, having bought a Day Date 1803 which is pre quick set and the lengthy time it takes to set the date, if you have to change more than a couple of dates.

I think the best option would be for the times when I am not wearing it, is to keep it on a winder.

So, looking for recommendations please, on a simple winder, which is not too expensive but reliable.
    I don’t wind for simpler watches but do for day dates and perpetual calendars. I am suspicious of shop bought winders for reasons well rehearsed. I do have an energetic Irish Wolfhound though. So I have attached a watch roll to the side of his jacket and when he goes for his daily walk the watches are wound. It’s an idiosyncratic solution but works for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

I would never store an older/vintage watch on a winder. My advice is to forget this idea, you've bought a nice example of an old watch, I suggest you look after it. When its not in use it gets a rest instead of being continuously wound, certain parts of the watch will thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I would never store an older/vintage watch on a winder. My advice is to forget this idea, you've bought a nice example of an old watch, I suggest you look after it. When its not in use it gets a rest instead of being continuously wound, certain parts of the watch will thank you for that.
    Thank you for some very sound advice :-)