closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To boldly go where he's never gone before.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Is there a way we can clean up the planet and become inter-planetary?
    That is the 64 million dollar question.

There is no generally acceptable solution that i know of. Everything we are currently doing or have planned or can envisage only kicks the can down the road a bit.

As for the interplanetary bit, I don’t think there are any viable options out there. Mars is probably the closest fit but there is a reason why it doesn’t have an atmosphere, ie it won’t support one. I don’t think there is anywhere else even remotely suitable.

The bottom line as i see it is we have one planet and no way off it. Whatever bed we make here we will have to lie in and eventually die in.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post

There is no generally acceptable solution that i know of. Everything we are currently doing or have planned or can envisage only kicks the can down the road a bit.

As for the interplanetary bit, I don’t think there are any viable options out there. Mars is probably the closest fit but there is a reason why it doesn’t have an atmosphere, ie it won’t support one. I don’t think there is anywhere else even remotely suitable.

The bottom line as i see it is we have one planet and no way off it. Whatever bed we make here we will have to lie in and eventually die in.
    we could build huge space stations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Could always put your name down for an 'economy' flight to the edge of space in a Mig-29 Fulcrum when they resume operations.

https://migflug.com/flights-prices/m...edge-of-space/
    That’s the one I’ve got a little fund going for ! Blagged trips in a Hawk, Jaguar and F4 but that’s the one I’d pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    we could build huge space stations
    When we can't find a way to live sustainably here on a nice, hospitable planet how's that gonna work out in space...

I don’t think there is anywhere else even remotely suitable.
    Oh.

I thought when the Sun goes Red Giant that Triton might become habitable.

I must admit I think I probably heard this on Cosmos in the 80s. So I might be out of date...

Oh.

I thought when the Sun goes Red Giant that Triton might become habitable
    From a temperature pov it probably will, but there is more to sustaining life than temperature. A red giant sun is a long looong time in the future though. The bigger problem from my perspective is how to survive on a more immediate time frame, like say the next 100 years. I don’t think thats a given anymore.

Master
    From a temperature pov it probably will, but there is more to sustaining life than temperature. A red giant sun is a long looong time in the future though. The bigger problem from my perspective is how to survive on a more immediate time frame, like say the next 100 years. I don’t think thats a given anymore.
    Maybe in that timeframe we should look at subsea colonies, there should be more though put into that I think, if we can sit a nuclear sun on the bottom of the ocean for 3 months the tech just needs to be scaled up.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Maybe in that timeframe we should look at subsea colonies, there should be more though put into that I think, if we can sit a nuclear sun on the bottom of the ocean for 3 months the tech just needs to be scaled up.

Why would you want undersea colonies? What do you think we would gain?

Im not being argumentative, I just can’t see any benefits and lots of downsides.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    That’s the one I’ve got a little fund going for ! Blagged trips in a Hawk, Jaguar and F4 but that’s the one I’d pay for.

I really want to do it. And I don't!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    It's not the planet we need to worry about, it's ICBMs.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 14th October 2021 at 19:03. Reason: puctuayshun

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It's not the planet we need to worry about, it's ICBM's.
    ICBM’s what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Why would you want undersea colonies? What do you think we would gain?

Im not being argumentative, I just can’t see any benefits and lots of downsides.
    Many reasons, really.
    Probably not for the whole of humanity, but then again neither would be a potential future planet.
    But within 10-20 metres deep pressure constraints are easily managed. Temperature is easily regulated, and electrolysis would guarantee a good supply of oxygen. farming algae would address food requirements and at least it is easily within reach, both in terms of technology and distance.
    The aim would be to give the earth a break by reducing human parasitic activities.

Of course, it's a second best solution after actually stopping destroying earth as we currently do. But I am not optimistic...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    ICBM’s what?
    Ooops, never noticed!

All very good, one small step for a fictional starship captain and a really bad actor/singer, blah, blah, blah.

But does anyone know how much it costs to prepare for and perform this launch? Money which I imagine the employees of Amazon would have welcomed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    All very good, one small step for a fictional starship captain and a really bad actor/singer, blah, blah, blah.

But does anyone know how much it costs to prepare for and perform this launch? Money which I imagine the employees of Amazon would have welcomed.
    If it was ever going to go to Amazon employees it would have gone to them a long time ago.

If it's that important to humanity we could try sending DNA (or instructions for) off and hope it might influence life elsewhere. Maybe could fall into the hands of intelligent life and they could recreate us - but that might not be in best our interest of course.

Personally I think we're doomed and the best we can hope for is that our grandchildren survive to have their own grandchildren. Beyond that they're on their own!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If it's that important to humanity we could try sending DNA (or instructions for) off and hope it might influence life elsewhere. Maybe could fall into the hands of intelligent life and they could recreate us - but that might not be in best our interest of course.

Personally I think we're doomed and the best we can hope for is that our grandchildren survive to have their own grandchildren. Beyond that they're on their own!

Thats the spirit.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Technology has moved on a long way since then, of course it could go bang but I reckon the risks are much lower, look at modern passenger aircraft and accidents per passenger mile compared to early flight.
    Passenger aircraft have got to a place where they’re very safe and reliable as long as they’re flown and maintained accordingly.

All these ‘space’ aircraft/rockets are still very much ‘experimental aircraft’ according to the aviation administrations that give them a permit to operate. They are much more risky to fly in than a passenger aircraft.

He's 90.

I'm sure he's not overly worried about the risk at this time in his life.

For the rest of us, per ardua ad astra.

Master
    He's 90.

I'm sure he's not overly worried about the risk at this time in his life.

For the rest of us, per ardua ad astra.
    I’m sure he weighed up the risk, I was just responding to the point that it’s ‘like passenger air travel’ from a risk point of view, it really isn’t.

But anyway, I was amused by a Tweet that came out at the time he was on the ‘interestingly shaped’ rocket, “live schlong and prosper”. I’d have loved it if he’d used that line!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    But anyway, I was amused by a Tweet that came out at the time he was on the ‘interestingly shaped’ rocket, “live schlong and prosper”. I’d have loved it if he’d used that line!
    Love it.