closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Jean-Claude Killy Chrongraph

Rolex Jean-Claude Killy Chrongraph

Just sat there, quite discreetly and without fanfare, in the window of a wee second hand dealer in Glasgow’s Argyle Arcade…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pinpull; 12th October 2021 at 16:24.

Craftsman
    It's been sitting there for several years since shop openwd and at that price will be there for eternity

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Lol

Posted about this a couple months back as did someone else before me. Good advertising for them to have it mentioned on the forums

Ah, right!

It was a jaw dropping moment for me, but apologies for the duplication of any previous post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    Lol

Posted about this a couple months back as did someone else before me. Good advertising for them to have it mentioned on the forums
    It is said that there is no such thing as bad publicity. I disagree. In this case, I would class them as deluded (and dyslexic) or with a silly sense of humour for a shop.
    I would give it a glance if I walked in front but wouldn't buy as I wouldn't trust their expertise.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Looks like it’s been flushed down the toilet I would much prefer the Patek in front which is academic anyway as I doubt I could afford that either

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am ashamed to say my first thought was ‘Van Damme has a Rolex affiliation?’

and it's a pretty crappy redial with wrong hands to boot.

Perhaps they meant to price it in Lira for the Italian market... 395 million pounds sounds a tad steep!
    Last edited by Mike Wood; 12th October 2021 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    and it's a pretty crappy redial with wrong hands to boot.

Perhaps they meant to price it in Lira for the Italian market...
    Actually Mike I could not find a dial that would have text around the top of the lower subdial. But if THAT is a redial, I really don’t want to see the state of the original
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I wrote about this back in July'19 when it was for sale at a much more reasonable £395,000! Oh, and Claude was spelled correctly, (though Killy wasn't).

It is a very peculiar wee shop, with a wide variety of vintage, or seemingly vintage watches and "stuff," some of which is at bonkers prices. From memory, for example, I think the pie-pan to the left of the Rolex in the OP's picture is claimed to be confirmed by Omega as the oldest in the world, and has a price of £80k I think . It was marked as "sold" 3 years ago, much to my surprise, but has recently made a reappearance in their window. It is always interesting, if bewildering, to have a look in their window when I'm in the Argyle Arcade. Certainly gives me a chuckle or two.

A

Edit...I may be wrong about the price of the Pie-pan....it may have been nearer £38k...whatever, it was in the multiple £10,000's
    Last edited by aamaci; 12th October 2021 at 20:18. Reason: Correction

Master
    I have an interesting (and slightly depressing) story about that particular watch.

I saw it pop up on eBay one morning in July 2013 (I've checked back on my emails) for £5,000, with £5 postage. It was located n Angus. Listing title: simply "rolex". I was a wee lad and only 5/6 months into my watch collecting journey, having bought a speedmaster for 1800 a few months prior. Still, I thought it looked like a few models I'd seen selling for much more so I clicked "buy it now" and won it.

Looking more closely, I noticed the incorrect leaf hands and the damaged dial. Being a young collector without much knowledge, and combined with a very vague eBay listing it freaked me out - instinctively, I was worried that it was fake or a bitsa. And 5k was a lot of money at the time - GMTs were still going for 2.5k. I politely asked the seller to cancel the sale and apologised for the inconvenience.

I've often thought about that watch over the last 8 years, and check "Killy" models that come up for sale for the damaged dial and rusted "leaf" hands - I'd recognise it anywhere.

Now here it is! Quite amazing to see it pop up out of the blue. Quite close to where the seller was based in 2013, too.

I don't think it's worth anywhere near the price they're asking. Still, if only I'd had a bit more knowledge and completed the sale. I may well have a made a bit of cash...