closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garage door open detectors

Craftsman

Garage door open detectors

Hi team

So I have got some roller garage doors. The actual building is not visible from the house. The doors are great but it’s actually easy to knock the controller and open the door by mistake.

Does anyone have any ideas of a mains powered detector to tell me if the doors are open. I am currently using a SmartThings two-piece adapter. This is flimsy and runs out of power quickly.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Thanks Greg

I used a WiFi plug at my last house. Wemo/Kasa will do it. Depends if you have wifi though. Had it linked to Alexa so when I said "goodnight" or left the house the plug would turn off meaning the garage wasn't able to open even if the button was pushed.

Master
    My daughter has one of theses cheap (£20) cameras that detect motion (to keep an eye on the pup) would trigger an alarm on your phone if it opens
    Was thinking of getting one to monitor my motorcycle
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Sec...ECURITY_CAMERA
    Last edited by lewie; 12th October 2021 at 09:58.

Master
    Blink camera from Amazon?

I’m using SmartThings too. If you go with Wiley’s (good) idea, I can heartily recommend Meross brand WiFi plugs. About 10€ a piece on Amazon. I’ve had several and they have worked flawlessly for about a year now unlike my WiZ brand plugs.

Disclaimer: I’m using Euro plugs bought from German Amazon. Can’t be sure about UK plugs and UK Amazon. Also worth mentioning that SmartThings can’t interpret the power consumption data from Meross (or WiZ either for that matter), so not good for fancy automations. Great if you need just on/off functionality.

Craftsman
    I have a meross smart garage door opener.
    Works off phone with app so can be controlled anywhere with internet.
    Notifies of garage door opening and closing, you can set it to close after a certain time opened, or get notified of "overtime opening warning" when time set is passed.
    Only around £40 on Amazon and easy to fit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I have a meross smart garage door opener.
    Works off phone with app so can be controlled anywhere with internet.
    Notifies of garage door opening and closing, you can set it to close after a certain time opened, or get notified of "overtime opening warning" when time set is passed.
    Only around £40 on Amazon and easy to fit.
    I’m looking for something like this that works with a roller shutter so I would need two switches instead of just the one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I’m looking for something like this that works with a roller shutter so I would need two switches instead of just the one.
    If yours has remote control already, then just carry on using it as normal.
    The meross just allows up/down with additional control and notifications through the phone app.

Craftsman

Garage door open detectors

In the end I decided to take up the idea of some smart plugs. The default is the garage doors are not enabled so cannot be accidentally activated. You then’ have to turn the plug on. Then the garage door work. Works really really well. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by jeepie; 24th October 2021 at 18:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    If yours has remote control already, then just carry on using it as normal.
    The meross just allows up/down with additional control and notifications through the phone app.
    It looks like it only has 2 wires though, presumably it applies a loop to open the door and then again to close it?
    Mine has separate open and close circuits.