closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Reusable face masks - UK

  1. #1
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    729

    Reusable face masks - UK

    Clearly, the use of face masks looks like it will be with us for some time.

    For the last 18 months or so I've been using a mix of disposable medical grade masks and a couple of washable ones. I generally find the disposable ones much nicer to wear and breath through and seem to fit better too. However, the very idea of them does not sit easily with my views on sustainability.

    So as we always seem to have the answer to every possible purchase question on here.......what would anyone recommend by way of good reusable/washable face masks. Anyone who suggested flip flops in the slippers thread need not respond ;o)

  2. #2
    Grand Master Seamaster73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    55°N
    Posts
    15,986
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Clearly, the use of face masks looks like it will be with us for some time.
    Speak for yourself.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Clearly, the use of face masks looks like it will be with us for some time.

    For the last 18 months or so I've been using a mix of disposable medical grade masks and a couple of washable ones. I generally find the disposable ones much nicer to wear and breath through and seem to fit better too. However, the very idea of them does not sit easily with my views on sustainability.

    So as we always seem to have the answer to every possible purchase question on here.......what would anyone recommend by way of good reusable/washable face masks. Anyone who suggested flip flops in the slippers thread need not respond ;o)
    My personal view is fairly simple, if your going to wear the same mask more than once why bother wearing one at all. I wear disposables all the time and have a burn bag and lots of anti bac with me wherever I go.

    My view may be skewed though having lived with a covid nurse that was off for 4 months when she caught it at work.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  4. #4
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    10,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Make your own.


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    My personal view is fairly simple, if your going to wear the same mask more than once why bother wearing one at all. I wear disposables all the time and have a burn bag and lots of anti bac with me wherever I go.

    My view may be skewed though having lived with a covid nurse that was off for 4 months when she caught it at work.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Why number of times worn important?

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why number of times worn important?
    From what I was told by her care team, covid Is transferred by vapour so a mask could become contaminated at any time inside or out so if you put it on and bag it after use any contamination stays in one place, if you multi use it any contamination can be on your hand, pocket, handbag or car air vents, any place you store or hang the mask before putting it back on your face. It’s the transfer of contamination that was drummed into me.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    From what I was told by her care team, covid Is transferred by vapour so a mask could become contaminated at any time inside or out so if you put it on and bag it after use any contamination stays in one place, if you multi use it any contamination can be on your hand, pocket, handbag or car air vents, any place you store or hang the mask before putting it back on your face. It’s the transfer of contamination that was drummed into me.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Okay, though I'm always careful to clean hands before taking off and probably hang for at least a day (in house) to allow any virus to degrade before re-wearing.

  9. #9
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    6,773
    I’d be asking serious questions about any masks / face coverings that promise to ‘kill’ viruses. What is the science behind it? What ‘real-world’ testing can be evidenced?

    I use disposable masks, make sure they fit as well as can be, and ensure I take them off carefully.
    Last edited by Kirk280; 11th October 2021 at 17:26.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,437
    Blog Entries
    6
    To my mind, if there was a decent, reusable alternative, then surgeons would be wearing them.
    We go through boxes of them at work, gloves too. Pre Covid, I’d change my gloves maybe twice a day, now it’s more like 20. If you want to justify it, I guess on balance the world is a greener place with all the working from home etc.

  11. #11
    Master Kaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Grindsted, Danmark
    Posts
    1,229
    Oh dear. I've been using the same disposable mask for months. Just as well I don't meet many people. It is starting to get a bit smelly so I suppose I should change it.

  12. #12
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    10,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    There's a fair bit of expertise here so I am seriously asking for anyone to point me at any unambivalent examples of fomite transmission at all anywhere throughout this pandemic.

    Because I can provide a shit-load that suggest that it's incredibly hard to catch covid from any surface.

    For example:

    https://academic.oup.com/milmed/arti...8/e832/6040078

    I have used two masks in daily rotation (leaving one on the dash board and cleaning both at the end of the week) throughout the pandemic and supported by a decent ioniser in every room I teach in. I made an explicit choice to stop wearing a mask and turn off the ioniser - as mentioned here - and caught it inside three weeks. I don't think that is a coincidence. I stopped washing and sterilising my hands more than normal nine months ago.

  13. #13
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    10,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Oh dear. I've been using the same disposable mask for months. Just as well I don't meet many people. It is starting to get a bit smelly so I suppose I should change it.
    You should. There are some really nasty moulds that could spoil your day...

  14. #14
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    6,773
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    You should. There are some really nasty moulds that could spoil your day...
    I agree that formites are unlikely to be the main route of SARS-Cov-2 viral transmission, but I keep changing my masks for reasons such as the one you’ve highlighted here!

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I’d be asking serious questions about any masks / face coverings that promise to ‘kill’ viruses. What is the science behind it? What ‘real-world’ testing can be evidenced?
    .
    HeiQ’s Viroblock technology has been scientifically proven to effectively destroy a large number of viruses and bacteria, including SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 (Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity in Melbourne, Australia; 2020).

    It also offers proven antibacterial properties against: Candida Albicans, Staphylococcus Aureus, Mycobacterium Terrae and proven antiviral properties against: Sendai Virus, H3N2 Human Influenza A, H1N1 Human Influenza A, H5N1 Avian Influenza A, Human Coronavirus 229E, H7N9 Influenza A (2013), Respiratory Syncytial Virus, SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).

    For furtheR reading - https://heiq.com/products/functional...eiq-viroblock/

  16. #16
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    10,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    HeiQ’s Viroblock technology has been scientifically proven to effectively destroy a large number of viruses and bacteria, including SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 (Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity in Melbourne, Australia; 2020).

    It also offers proven antibacterial properties against: Candida Albicans, Staphylococcus Aureus, Mycobacterium Terrae and proven antiviral properties against: Sendai Virus, H3N2 Human Influenza A, H1N1 Human Influenza A, H5N1 Avian Influenza A, Human Coronavirus 229E, H7N9 Influenza A (2013), Respiratory Syncytial Virus, SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).

    For furtheR reading - https://heiq.com/products/functional...eiq-viroblock/
    Oddly, I cannot find the first paper. It's not Harvard standard, but I really should be able to find it. Nor can I find an M.J on the Doherty staff:

    https://www.doherty.edu.au/people/P240

    (1) M.J. (2020) Report on “Viral Stability and Persistence of SARS-CoV-2 on Treated Material”. Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity, Australia

    It's hard to evaluate the claims when the linked papers either are not to be found or are not Sars. Perhaps more to the point, there are concerns about the long term toxicity of silver nanoparticles. There are plenty of papers on this. For example:

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7177798/

    The fact is that we now know that the virus has a very short period of viability on any dry surface. As such it just isn't necessary to kill it, just to stop it getting into the airways in an aerosol or droplet form. This is an example of 'It doesn't go black in the can' - sure, virus left on it becomes inactive, but virus left on any dry surface becomes inactive. Maybe it's quicker on this surface, but the onus is on them to prove it and this:

    https://heiq.com/products/functional...eiq-viroblock/

    doesn't look like proof to me. It looks like smoke and mirrors.

  17. #17
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    6,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    HeiQ’s Viroblock technology has been scientifically proven to effectively destroy a large number of viruses and bacteria, including SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 (Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity in Melbourne, Australia; 2020).

    It also offers proven antibacterial properties against: Candida Albicans, Staphylococcus Aureus, Mycobacterium Terrae and proven antiviral properties against: Sendai Virus, H3N2 Human Influenza A, H1N1 Human Influenza A, H5N1 Avian Influenza A, Human Coronavirus 229E, H7N9 Influenza A (2013), Respiratory Syncytial Virus, SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).

    For furtheR reading - https://heiq.com/products/functional...eiq-viroblock/
    Do you have any connections with this company and / or their product?

    I can’t find their scientific publications - the references don’t seem to be in a usual format - are there links to the original, peer-reviewed publications?

  18. #18
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    28,488
    ScIeNtIfIcAlLy pRoVeN, also known as the 'Youtube university'.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

    Terry McAuliffe

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    656
    Which? tested reusable face masks. Results here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face...s-awLeA3A6XoZD

  20. #20
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Which? tested reusable face masks. Results here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face...s-awLeA3A6XoZD
    I have a few of those Bags of Ethics ones, comfortable and effective but the nose wire does snap in the middle after a while.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information